Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

23 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

It's usually the opposite of this. When you get your one chance you go all out without fear of anything. Playing timid is the last thing you should do with your one chance. But I don't think that's what he's doing to be honest. I think he's just trying to prove he's a legitimate passer. 

Sure, from a theoretical or motivational quote perspective. But with potentially years of making at minimum a million dollars in each on the line, the thought of preservation is going to be there as well. Especially if you're a guy who's had injury issues in the past.

As it is now, unless he really plays horribly down the stretch, Heinicke is at least an ok backup for most teams if he can stay healthy. If he gets injured he's probably immediately off of the radar.

I think Heinicke does want to play well and he is a gamer, but remember he's also an engineering/math guy, so there's likely to be some logical calculation that goes into it as well.

Has a player ever cooled off so quickly from a fan support perspective?

Just a few weeks ago several of us were accused of making up reasons to not like Heineke, calling us haters, and so on.  All because we wanted to see some more.  Folks were talking about his next contract and whether he would take a hometown discount for 10 million apy.

Two weeks later and it’s crickets in here.

The NFL is wild.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just a few weeks ago several of us were accused of making up reasons to not like Heineke, calling us haters, and so on.  All because we wanted to see some more.  Folks were talking about his next contract and whether he would take a hometown discount for 10 million apy.

The NFL is wild.

There's not much to say. I still love the guy and I'm happy he's on our team and hope he will be for a long time.

But he isn't a long term starter. He's a perfect backup. Won't back down, can let you go on a little bit of a run, doesn't blink when situations get tough, athletic and he's likeable. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

The NFL is wild.

I think when you create an expectation level that’s unrealistic you’re going to run away from your stance pretty quickly. That’s what happened. The comparisons and whatnot made after the Atlanta game were simply ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There's not much to say. I still love the guy and I'm happy he's on our team and hope he will be for a long time.

But he isn't a long term starter. He's a perfect backup. Won't back down, can let you go on a little bit of a run, doesn't blink when situations get tough, athletic and he's likeable. 

I don’t dislike him, never did.  Just was never convinced he had the necessary arm to compete week in and week out.

Just wild how quickly the conversations went from where they were to basically nothing now in a matter of a few weeks.

I believe I even told someone to cool their jets, by November, we’re most likely going to laugh at ourselves for discussing how many tens of millions of dollars we were going to have to pay him.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

I don’t dislike him, never did.  Just was never convinced he had the necessary arm to compete week in and week out.

Just wild how quickly the conversations went from where they were to basically nothing now in a matter of a few weeks.

I believe I even told someone to cool their jets, by November, we’re most likely going to laugh at ourselves for discussing how many tens of millions of dollars we were going to have to pay him.

I think this cooling down of Heinicke is actually an outstanding chance for us to pounce and try to extend him for only $30 million per year instead of $50 million. Bargain! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I like TH and he can still be a starter. I am just wondering if the coaching staff and Turner are not using him correctly. Maybe they will unleash him in Green Bay. I really like to see more games out of him to say yeah he is going to no more than just a backup. I still have a little faith in him. 

Edited by zskins
  • Like 2

I’ve got bad vibes about Sunday and my gut says we see Kyle Allen after halftime.  Hope I’m wrong, because I have zero interest in watching him play.  But if TH can’t connect on anything remotely deep, things are going to get out of hand fast.  I can already sense some frustration from Terry in his comments about beating the coverage.  

15 minutes ago, zskins said:

I like TH and he can still be a starter. I am just wondering if the coaching staff and Turner are not using him correctly. Maybe they will unleash him in Green Bay. I really like to see more games out of him to say yeah he is going to no more than just a backup. I still have a little faith in him. 

From what Rivera has been saying recently it doesn't sound like they're restricting him from going off schedule and/or using his legs. In fact, it sounds like they're encouraging it but he's not really doing it much.

On 10/20/2021 at 10:14 AM, Renegade7 said:

I think his confidence is shot, to be honest. That's what it looks like in the way he plays now.

I think the word is out on Taylor, defenses have figured him out. If KC's crappy defense held us to 13 and Taylor can't put up 200 yards on that D what's going to happen down the road? I don't know, I want to think it was a bad day but I think its the former..

• Like 1

I hate to say it because I love the guy but he's reminding me of Colt McCoy. I love him for a game or two and he plays bigger than his body which is great but he doesn't have the arm or body to hold up 16 games over multiple seasons. I think we're probably seeing him partially get figured out, but also seeing him trying to do more with his arm and learning that he just doesn't have a RW arm. He's got a Colt arm and while Colt delivered a beauty to Garcon against Dallas, it also took everything he had to deliver that ball and couldn't throw anything else.

• Thanks 1

Y'all forgetting we are essentially two plays away from 0-6.

I love Heine, but he got VERY lucky in the NYG game and then in the ATL game. 

Those games were all but lost but last minute crucial plays bounced our way.

Edited by El Mexican

The issue from the beginning was having too high of expectations for him based on a game and a half.  That performance against Tampa is likely going to be the pinnacle of his career, and he will forever be remembered for it by the fanbase, as well he should be.  However, that one performance doesn't make him a franchise QB.

Rivera on air this morning, doubling down that the KC defense worked to keep Heinicke in the pocket but also Heinicke missed some opportunities to leave the pocket and scramble.

Sunday should be interesting because that's like the 4th time he's talked about Heinicke running more, and one time by Turner saying the same.

9 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I hate to say it because I love the guy but he's reminding me of Colt McCoy. I love him for a game or two and he plays bigger than his body which is great but he doesn't have the arm or body to hold up 16 games over multiple seasons. I think we're probably seeing him partially get figured out, but also seeing him trying to do more with his arm and learning that he just doesn't have a RW arm. He's got a Colt arm and while Colt delivered a beauty to Garcon against Dallas, it also took everything he had to deliver that ball and couldn't throw anything else.

I feel like if Colt McCoy and Case Keenum had a kid, it'd be Taylor Heinicke.  With 50% more athleticism sprinkled on.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera on air this morning, doubling down that the KC defense worked to keep Heinicke in the pocket but also Heinicke missed some opportunities to leave the pocket and scramble.

Sunday should be interesting because that's like the 4th time he's talked about Heinicke running more, and one time by Turner saying the same.

Yeah and I think most teams will follow this blueprint. Try to keep Heinicke in the pocket, bring pressure, and sit on the short to intermediate stuff. This is one of the problems with having a guy with a below average arm. The less dimensions a QB has to his game, the easier it can be to game plan against him.

I'm also a bit worried that Rivera's "goading" (for lack of a better term) could potentially push Heinicke back into reckless territory. If he thinks Allen might be breathing down his neck or that Fitz will get the nod again once he's healthy unless Heinicke ups his game, he might decide that he needs to go all out and could get hurt. 

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah and I think most teams will follow this blueprint. Try to keep Heinicke in the pocket, bring pressure, and sit on the short to intermediate stuff. This is one of the problems with having a guy with a below average arm. The less dimensions a QB has to his game, the easier it can be to game plan against him.

I'm also a bit worried that Rivera's "goading" (for lack of a better term) could potentially push Heinicke back into reckless territory. If he thinks Allen might be breathing down his neck or that Fitz will get the nod again once he's healthy unless Heinicke ups his game, he might decide that he needs to go all out and could get hurt. 

I think Heinicke has to play aggressively to look good.   Wilson and Murray run around and still protect themselves typically.  I think Heinicke needs to avoid what he and RG3 seem to have in common which is that they are OK with contact from defenders.   I know easier than done but I think somehow he needs to manage that to be successful. 

Funny I am listening to Travis on 980 just now twisting Scott Turner's words to make the case that they are handcuffing Heinicke.  Ridiculous.  But it comes with the turf during a losing streak, the coaches are apes, holding back everyone. :ols:  He took a segment where Turner talked about some of Heinicke's decision making on Ints as proof that they are holding him back.

Heinicke's interceptions and him getting out of the pocket are two different subjects.  I don't think they want Heinicke aggressively throwing into coverage across his body and some of the more reckless throws he's made.  But that's a different subject versus escaping the pocket.

On another note, I didn't listen to the full segment but heard enough to hear that Cooley sees Heinicke as Colt McCoy. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Heinicke has to play aggressively to look good.   Wilson and Murray run around and still protect themselves typically.  I think Heinicke needs to avoid what he and RG3 seem to have in common which is that they are OK with contact from defenders.   I know easier than done but I think somehow he needs to manage that to be successful. 

Funny I am listening to Travis on 980 just now twisting Scott Turner's words to make the case that they are handcuffing Heinicke.  Ridiculous.  But it comes with the turf during a losing streak, the coaches are apes, holding back everyone. :ols:  He took a segment where Turner talked about some of Heinicke's decision making on Ints as proof that they are holding him back.

Heinicke's interceptions and him getting out of the pocket are two different subjects.  I don't think they want Heinicke aggressively throwing into coverage across his body and some of the more reckless throws he's made.  But that's a different subject versus escaping the pocket.

On another note, I didn't listen to the full segment but heard enough to hear that Cooley sees Heinicke as Colt McCoy. 

:ols:

That makes zero sense. 

Turner: We want Heinicke to run and scramble more because that's his best attribute.

Rivera: We want Heinicke to run and scramble more because that's his best attribute.

Travis: They're holding him back!

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 8:18 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve got bad vibes about Sunday and my gut says we see Kyle Allen after halftime.  Hope I’m wrong, because I have zero interest in watching him play.  But if TH can’t connect on anything remotely deep, things are going to get out of hand fast.  I can already sense some frustration from Terry in his comments about beating the coverage.  

Yea, I see him getting bench either this week or next.  Broncos looks very beatable, so if he struggles badly, we might not have a choice, we need wins where we can get them.

The Hive is dead.