Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

1 minute ago, bcl05 said:

Doc here.  There is conflicting and unclear marginal evidence both ways regarding whether there is benefit or not to switch between moderna/pfizer.  If there is any benefit at all, it is very small.  I would strongly encourage getting whatever booster is available and not worrying about it.  

Graphic Designer here. I concur...

• Haha 10
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Lawyer here.  It depends. 

Edit:  I got my booster last weekend.  I was under the impression that Moderna was the way to go since my originals were Pfizer.  I signed up online for a place that had Moderna shots.  I got to the place and filled out a form for Moderna.  I sit down, dude sticks the needle in my arm, then says "here's your Pfizer booster."

****er. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm seeing different stuff online pertaining to which booster one should get.

Both my wife and I are fully vaccinated with Moderna, at the end of April.  We are now eligible for boosters.  I've read that we should get Pfizer, I've also read we should get Moderna again. 

What say you, ES?

I got J&J the first time

Pfizer booster

i also had covid so according to available data I’m super boosted 

• Thumb up 1

I don't get too personal on here because I think it's ****ing weird to do so.  But I also recognize that a lot of you are smart people and I need to draw on some experiences outside of my circle of friends and relatives because I'm dealing with a situation that is somewhat perplexing to me.  FWIW, all my friends, family members, people I work with are vaxxed, my fiance can say the same for most of her circle of friends and family.  I'm not one to get upset and pissy when someone isn't vaxxed, it's more of an eye-roll and move on.  In short, no one likes to be told what to do.  

My soon to be mother-in-law is a really great, sweet, sweet lady.  And my soon to be wife is about to have our first baby (no, a shotgun wasn't involved) due later this month.  Long story short, we're making it mandatory that anyone who wants to stop by and see the baby and hang out has to have been vaccinated and a booster shot if they're due for one.  That goes for friends, grandparents, other relatives, etc.  Like I mentioned before, shouldn't be a problem since everyone we know is vaxxed.  

But my soon to be MIL is digging in and refusing to get her booster (and I'm questioning if she ever got the vax in the first place, more on that in a second).  Her reasons, or what seem to be her reasons are founded in religious, right wing nuttery as one might expect...I can't relate to it at all, neither can my fiance.  MIL to be is from deep South Carolina, so you can imagine the type.  Very nice, very sweet, would do anything to help a friend and she's never met a stranger.  But we steer clear of discussing the political/religious stuff.  

Last week, a dear family friend of my fiance and her mom wound up in the ICU with Covid.  Similar mindset, Republican, conservative Christian...sounded like she was on death's doorstep there for a minute, but thankfully she's making a recovery and now, of course, regrets not getting vaxxed to begin with.  So that's staring my future MIL in the face and she refuses to acknowledge it.  That information isn't swaying her.  

6-7 months ago, MIL to be had a knee replacement surgery and I was under the impression that she couldn't get the surgery without proof of being vaccinated.  After she left our house earlier this afternoon, I asked my fiance if she'd ever seen her mom's vax card, she said no.  And that when she took her to the surgery earlier this year, the hospital, inexplicably didn't ask to see one.  They asked her the standard questions before wheeling her into surgery but no proof of vaccination was needed.  I asked why, she said that's when there was a lull in new cases being reported and it was a little more relaxed.  Anyway, I posed the question if she ever got vaxxed in the first place because...well, why WOULDN'T you get a booster if you already got the vax?  That makes no sense, even for someone who's dealing from an illogical place of right wing Christian nuttery.  Now my fiance is PISSED at the prospect of her mother having lied to her for the past several months, putting her at risk (already has thyroid issues) while pregnant.  While it's only a theory, my fiance seems to think that her mother would lie about getting the vax to begin with.

So, anyway, it's been put in my capable hands of saying to my future MIL "Hey, Mrs. Spiff is working late Tuesday night and so I'm bringing over dinner and let's hang, we haven't done that in awhile," and try to broach the subject with her.

Have any of you had success in swaying someone who thinks this way?  Earlier I was like, "Hey, even Donald Trump got the vaccine," and she just kind of smiled and nodded.  Like if your God-runner up gets it, isn't that enough?  

Fiance and I don't want to make an ultimatum "No vax/no booster, no baby" because ultimatums suck.  Fiance seems to think that her mother will try to wait that one out because she only lives 15 minutes away and we'll for sure need her to help with something eventually and call her...vaxxed or not.  But like I said, we don't want it to come to that.  

So...sorry for rambling, but that's what I'm dealing with.  Let me know if any of you have anything that's worked on changing the mind of a conservative Christian zealot who doesn't want to get vaxxed.  

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Have any of you had success in swaying someone who thinks this way?

First and foremost, congrats!  

Second, if you need baby ****, we are constantly getting rid of **** (especially if it's a boy).

Third, to answer your question, no.  My SIL, who is NOT a right-winger (she's a ****ing vegan) lied (by omission) about getting vaxxed until I straight up asked her and she said she got one shot, but wont be getting any more.  I tried once to sway her opinion, but she won't engage because she knows her decision is not defensible (and that I will destroy her), but she's sticking to it.  

It's much easier for me with a SIL rather than you with a MIL.  I'm not going to be around her both because of the covid risk and because I think stupidity of this magnitude should result in some amount of ostracizing.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

First and foremost, congrats!  

Second, if you need baby ****, we are constantly getting rid of **** (especially if it's a boy).

Third, to answer your question, no.  My SIL, who is NOT a right-winger (she's a ****ing vegan) lied (by omission) about getting vaxxed until I straight up asked her and she said she got one shot, but wont be getting any more.  I tried once to sway her opinion, but she won't engage because she knows her decision is not defensible (and that I will destroy her), but she's sticking to it.  

It's much easier for me with a SIL rather than you with a MIL.  I'm not going to be around her both because of the covid risk and because I think stupidity of this magnitude should result in some amount of ostracizing.  

Thank you, sir!

Yep, it's a boy.  Thankfully.  One of my friends was like "If you have a boy, you only have to worry about one dick.  If you have a girl, you have to worry about ALL the dicks."  If I was about to become a girl dad, I'd be buying up all the potato sacks everywhere because she wouldn't be wearing anything else until she was 18.  

In regards to ostracizing...man, I hate to think that way, but for a SIL, it's probably easier.  MIL, is probably harder, especially when this is her first grandchild by her only child.  So...she's been waiting awhile for this.  And like I said, I hate ultimatums, I think they're juvenile but in this case probably necessary.  

In regards to your other point, they know their points are indefensible, hence lying and lying by omission.  Ask a few questions, they fold like a card table.  The fiancé and I have asked reasonable, logic based questions and it's met with "Well, I'll have to think about it" or "Well, I'll have to see..." 

It's hard dealing facts to people who are making emotional decisions.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Haha 1

Ditto with the congrats Spiff. Fortunately for me I have not had to deal with it as even though my family is more conservative than me, they are not dumb maga conservatives nor uber liberal vegan hippy granola antivaxxers. 

Ultimatums do truly suck but you're about to have 2 people more important than anyone else in your lifetime.  And one of them can't defend himself. So it's likely going to be necessary. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Thank you, sir!

Yep, it's a boy.  Thankfully.  One of my friends was like "If you have a boy, you only have to worry about one dick.  If you have a girl, you have to worry about ALL the dicks."  If I was about to become a girl dad, I'd be buying up all the potato sacks everywhere because she wouldn't be wearing anything else until she was 18.  

Girls are way easier when they are younger, at least in my experience.  That can go in the Parenting Thread. 

In regards to ostracizing...man, I hate to think that way, but for a SIL, it's probably easier.  MIL, is probably harder, especially when this is her first grandchild by her only child.  So...she's been waiting awhile for this.  And like I said, I hate ultimatums, I think they're juvenile but in this case probably necessary.  

Definitely way easier for SIL.  If I tried to keep my MIL away from my kids, it would not go well, and she's the sweetest lady I know.

That said, don't forget that you are in the right here and she is making an indefensible, selfish choice.  Ultimatums suck, but what is the middle ground?  There really isn't one.  She either gets vaxxed or she exposes your baby, who has no immune system yet, to a deadly disease.  Maybe the risk isn't all that high, but what % of risk are you willing to take when it comes to the health of your kid?  She's putting you in a ****ty situation and that's ****ed up. 

In regards to your other point, they know their points are indefensible, hence lying and lying by omission.  Ask a few questions, they fold like a card table.  The fiancé and I have asked reasonable, logic based questions and it's met with "Well, I'll have to think about it" or "Well, I'll have to see..." 

It's hard dealing facts to people who are making emotional decisions.  

Yep.  Maybe ask her how much danger she's willing to put her grandson in. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Girls are way easier when they are younger, at least in my experience.  That can go in the Parenting Thread. 

Definitely way easier for SIL.  If I tried to keep my MIL away from my kids, it would not go well, and she's the sweetest lady I know.

That said, don't forget that you are in the right here and she is making an indefensible, selfish choice.  Ultimatums suck, but what is the middle ground?  There really isn't one.  She either gets vaxxed or she exposes your baby, who has no immune system yet, to a deadly disease.  Maybe the risk isn't all that high, but what % of risk are you willing to take when it comes to the health of your kid?  She's putting you in a ****ty situation and that's ****ed up. 

Yep.  Maybe ask her how much danger she's willing to put her grandson in. 

That's a good one.  I'm a believer that lecturing isn't a way to go about getting someone to change their mind and this is where the fiance has failed when dealing with her mother.  Asking questions to lead them to answers is the best way and I think this one is good, counselor.

The only problem, is...I don't know if she sees covid as a danger.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't get too personal on here because I think it's ****ing weird to do so.  But I also recognize that a lot of you are smart people and I need to draw on some experiences outside of my circle of friends and relatives because I'm dealing with a situation that is somewhat perplexing to me.  FWIW, all my friends, family members, people I work with are vaxxed, my fiance can say the same for most of her circle of friends and family.  I'm not one to get upset and pissy when someone isn't vaxxed, it's more of an eye-roll and move on.  In short, no one likes to be told what to do.  

My soon to be mother-in-law is a really great, sweet, sweet lady.  And my soon to be wife is about to have our first baby (no, a shotgun wasn't involved) due later this month.  Long story short, we're making it mandatory that anyone who wants to stop by and see the baby and hang out has to have been vaccinated and a booster shot if they're due for one.  That goes for friends, grandparents, other relatives, etc.  Like I mentioned before, shouldn't be a problem since everyone we know is vaxxed.  

But my soon to be MIL is digging in and refusing to get her booster (and I'm questioning if she ever got the vax in the first place, more on that in a second).  Her reasons, or what seem to be her reasons are founded in religious, right wing nuttery as one might expect...I can't relate to it at all, neither can my fiance.  MIL to be is from deep South Carolina, so you can imagine the type.  Very nice, very sweet, would do anything to help a friend and she's never met a stranger.  But we steer clear of discussing the political/religious stuff.  

Last week, a dear family friend of my fiance and her mom wound up in the ICU with Covid.  Similar mindset, Republican, conservative Christian...sounded like she was on death's doorstep there for a minute, but thankfully she's making a recovery and now, of course, regrets not getting vaxxed to begin with.  So that's staring my future MIL in the face and she refuses to acknowledge it.  That information isn't swaying her.  

6-7 months ago, MIL to be had a knee replacement surgery and I was under the impression that she couldn't get the surgery without proof of being vaccinated.  After she left our house earlier this afternoon, I asked my fiance if she'd ever seen her mom's vax card, she said no.  And that when she took her to the surgery earlier this year, the hospital, inexplicably didn't ask to see one.  They asked her the standard questions before wheeling her into surgery but no proof of vaccination was needed.  I asked why, she said that's when there was a lull in new cases being reported and it was a little more relaxed.  Anyway, I posed the question if she ever got vaxxed in the first place because...well, why WOULDN'T you get a booster if you already got the vax?  That makes no sense, even for someone who's dealing from an illogical place of right wing Christian nuttery.  Now my fiance is PISSED at the prospect of her mother having lied to her for the past several months, putting her at risk (already has thyroid issues) while pregnant.  While it's only a theory, my fiance seems to think that her mother would lie about getting the vax to begin with.

So, anyway, it's been put in my capable hands of saying to my future MIL "Hey, Mrs. Spiff is working late Tuesday night and so I'm bringing over dinner and let's hang, we haven't done that in awhile," and try to broach the subject with her.

Have any of you had success in swaying someone who thinks this way?  Earlier I was like, "Hey, even Donald Trump got the vaccine," and she just kind of smiled and nodded.  Like if your God-runner up gets it, isn't that enough?  

Fiance and I don't want to make an ultimatum "No vax/no booster, no baby" because ultimatums suck.  Fiance seems to think that her mother will try to wait that one out because she only lives 15 minutes away and we'll for sure need her to help with something eventually and call her...vaxxed or not.  But like I said, we don't want it to come to that.  

So...sorry for rambling, but that's what I'm dealing with.  Let me know if any of you have anything that's worked on changing the mind of a conservative Christian zealot who doesn't want to get vaxxed.  

I don’t have any advice, but I have seen many, uh, documentaries about future son-in-laws meeting one on one with their future mother-in-laws.  So, congrats, I guess.

Seriously, good luck to you.  That’s tricky.  Congrats on the upcoming birth.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

I don’t have any advice, but I have seen many, uh, documentaries about future son-in-laws meeting one on one with their future mother-in-laws.  So, congrats, I guess.

Seriously, good luck to you.  That’s tricky.  Congrats on the upcoming birth.

Thanks man, I appreciate it!  

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's a good one.  I'm a believer that lecturing isn't a way to go about getting someone to change their mind and this is where the fiance has failed when dealing with her mother.  Asking questions to lead them to answers is the best way and I think this one is good, counselor.

The only problem, is...I don't know if she sees covid as a danger.  

FWIW we were strict no contact with my father in law because he was anti mask/anti vax for months. We finally  wore him down and he got vaccinated. Well, partly vaccinated anyway. But better than nothing. We still require him to take an instant test before being admitted to our house because of how he is. He knows he’s the only one in our lives that is under that requirement. It’s awkward. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

FWIW we were strict no contact with my father in law because he was anti mask/anti vax for months. We finally  wore him down and he got vaccinated. Well, partly vaccinated anyway. But better than nothing. We still require him to take an instant test before being admitted to our house because of how he is. He knows he’s the only one in our lives that is under that requirement. It’s awkward. 

Yeah, I'm afraid it's going to come down to that.  

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, I'm afraid it's going to come down to that.  

Try this: MIL you protected your kid(s) after they were born. I am going to be a father and I am going to protect my kid with same intensity. Just like you didn't want anyone to hurt your kid(s) I want to do the same thing. I don't want someone exposing my son with covid who doesn't believe in vaccination and god forbid take him away from me. I would die myself and never forgive myself. It will turn my world upside down. I can't do that. I truly am really sorry. You are more than welcome to see him via Zoom after he is born. 

See what she says to that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

:

:

:

:

Congrats on the baby!

Sometimes you gotta take the hard approach, it's y'alls child, not hers.  She doesn't like it, prove she got vaxxed or get vaxxed and prove it.   Me and my wife aren't the type to sugar coat stuff, I'd just lay out the ultimatium and deal with whatever comes.  When it comes to the safety of your child, that should take precedence over hurting someone's feelings, regardless if it's a friend, MIL, parent, etc.

It will also take away a lot of the worry you will have everytime she comes around y'all and the baby and not knowing 100% if she was vaxxed or not.  If I were in your shoes, I'd tell her to show her vaccine card to see the baby, or otherwise, she's seeing the baby via facetime. 

Hell, my wife, daughter and I are all vaxxed, wife has had her booster, my MIL, SIL, BIL all vaxxed with my SIL and BIL boostered up and we cancelled Thanksgiving with them because my SIL is back in college and my BIL teaches college and personally I wasn't taking the risk of my BIL/SIL getting breakthrough cases and spreading that **** to us while visiting.  

Good luck broski.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 2

Italian man tries to dodge Covid vaccine with fake arm

AN ITALIAN MAN who wanted a coronavirus vaccine certificate without actually having the jab tried to play the system by presenting health workers with a fake arm, an official said Friday.

Despite the realistic skin colour, nobody was fooled by the silicone limb.

The man, who is in his 50s, was reported to local police following the incident on Thursday night in Biella, northwest Italy.

“The case borders on the ridiculous, if it were not for the fact we are talking about a gesture of enormous gravity,” the head of the Piedmont regional government, Albert Cirio, said in a statement on Facebook.

He said such an act was “unacceptable faced with the sacrifice that our entire community has paid during the pandemic, in terms of human lives, the social and economic cost.”

Click on the link for the full article

Utah healthcare providers halt vaccination requirement for employees

Two major Utah healthcare providers have paused all requirements that employees be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Wednesday's announcement comes a day after a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction that stopped President Biden's national vaccine mandate for all health care workers.

Click on the link for the full article