Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

7 hours ago, PCS said:

Get my Moderna booster and flu shot on Wednesday morning. Can't wait. Too damn many maskhole covidiots in this neck of the woods. 

I’m in my 40s and I was in line for my booster as soon as it was available in October. This was before Omicron, mainly because I live in a county full of covidiots and I’m forced to work in office with them and no one masks. 

• Thumb up 1

On 12/18/2021 at 10:59 PM, China said:

Since he had Covid already, and then got both shots of the vaccine and the booster shouldn't he have already had superimmunity?  Yet he got it again.  I'm not buying the 'superimmunity' claim.  What does that even mean?  That you'll only get mild symptoms?  Isn't that what the vax and booster are supposed to do?  What makes it 'superimmunity'?

The vaccines aren't a forcefield, the virus will always be able to enter your nose. His congestion is likely his immune system stopping it in its tracks and keeping it from spreading to his upper airways. Lots of vaccinated people will have congestion as their immune system recognizes the virus immediately and begins fighting it off quickly.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

WATCH: Sarah Palin Proudly Tells Raucous Turning Point Rally Crowd She Will Get Vaccinated ‘Over My Dead Body’

Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin electrified a crowd of conservatives over the weekend by boasting it will be “over my dead body” before she gets vaccinated against the coronavirus.

Click on the link for the full article

I think Covid can arrange that...

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Got my booster/flu combo Friday night and it knocked me out Saturday. Mostly just fatigue and chills, but enough to make me pretty much rest all day.

I held off on getting the flu shot at the same time because I didn't want to get leveled.  Still happened anyway, but mine took like 40 hours after the shot to hit me.  Basically felt like I had a flu that immediately cleared up by mid day, and by the next day I felt full strength.  Kind of weird but welcome how fast you experience the changes.

• Like 1

Give me liberty and give you death

You can rarely be sure that judicial incompetence will kill people, but Federal District Judge Terry Doughty crossed that line when he issued an injunction blocking the Biden administration's requirement that nursing home personnel be vaccinated for COVID-19.  (The injunction, which the administration is appealing, has since been modified by a higher court to apply only in the 14 states that sued.) This week, Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch produced something worse than incompetence. 

A recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that nursing home patients are far more likely to die of COVID if there are many unvaccinated staff.  Among residents in low-vaccination facilities, death rates were nearly three times those of facilities with the highest levels of staff vaccination. The study concluded that, during the two-month period studied, "if all the nursing homes in our sample had been in the highest quartile of staff vaccination coverage (82.7% on average), 4775 cases among residents (29% of the total during the study window), 7501 cases among staff (29% of the total), and 703 Covid-19-related deaths among residents (48% of the total) could possibly have been prevented." 

The New York Times reports that some nursing homes were moving slowly on getting their staff vaccinated, waiting for the federal mandate (perhaps because they could then tell staff not to blame management for the requirement).

Judge Doughty, a Trump appointee, relied heavily on the written declaration of Dr. Peter McCullough, who was fired from the Baylor University Medical Center for spreading misinformation about COVID. Baylor has since obtained a temporary restraining order against McCullough, citing "the likelihood of irreparable business and reputational harm" if he kept lying that he was still affiliated with the hospital. He has promoted the debunked, dangerous malarial drug hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for the disease.  McCullough has falsely claimed that 50,000 people have died from the vaccine. There is a section of his Wikipedia page entitled "COVID-19 misinformation." He is, in short, a crank. I was able to learn all this in a two-minute Google search. 

Doughty uncritically cites numerous false claims by McCullough: that "the COVID-19 vaccines do not prevent transmission of the disease among the vaccinated or mixed vaccinated/unvaccinated populations; that mandatory COVID-19 vaccines for hospitals do not increase safety for employees or hospital patients"; "that because of the progressive mutation of the spike protein, the virus has achieved an immune escape from COVID-19 vaccines"; and that "the Delta variant is not adequately covered by the vaccines." There is so much wrong here that it is hard to know where to begin.

• Sad 1

I've been arguing with a long term patient of mine for almost a year trying to talk her into getting a vaccine.  Been managing her complex underlying disease for a few years now.   She died over the weekend after about a week of COVID19.  Last thing she told me before getting sick was "why do you care whether or not I get the vaccine?"

The last 2 years have been awful.  I keep thinking things will get better soon, but then something like this happens...

• Sad 12

1 minute ago, bcl05 said:

I've been arguing with a long term patient of mine for almost a year trying to talk her into getting a vaccine.  Been managing her complex underlying disease for a few years now.   She died over the weekend after about a week of COVID19.  Last thing she told me before getting sick was "why do you care whether or not I get the vaccine?"

The last 2 years have been awful.  I keep thinking things will get better soon, but then something like this happens...

Was it an immune system disease?

4 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The vaccines aren't a forcefield, the virus will always be able to enter your nose. His congestion is likely his immune system stopping it in its tracks and keeping it from spreading to his upper airways. Lots of vaccinated people will have congestion as their immune system recognizes the virus immediately and begins fighting it off quickly.

So what if I eat my boogers? Does that increase my chance of getting sicker?? 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Now it’s part of layered strategy. Wear a good mask, distance, don’t go into crowded indoor spaces with poor air flow. Like you said, don’t let the virus in.

The vaccine is like the free safety. 

U.S. military has granted 0 religious exemptions for COVID vaccines

More than 12,000 military service members refusing the COVID-19 vaccine are seeking religious exemptions, and so far they are having zero success.

That total lack of approvals is creating new tensions within the military, even as the vast majority of the armed forces have gotten vaccinated.

The services, urgently trying to keep the coronavirus pandemic in check by getting troops vaccinated, are now besieged with exemption requests they are unlikely to approve. Meanwhile, troops claiming religious reasons for avoiding the shots are perplexed because exemptions are theoretically available, yet seem impossible to obtain.

Caught in the middle are chaplains, who must balance the desire to offer compassionate care and guidance to personnel with the need to explain a complicated process that may well be futile. They also must assess requests from those who may be using religion as an excuse to avoid a vaccine that, while credited with preventing needless deaths, has become politically charged.

“So many of them come in thinking that I make the decision, and if they make this case, that it’s a done deal,” said Maj. A’Shellarien Lang, an Army chaplain for the National Guard. “I don’t make the decision. And so when they find that out, it’s a kind of game-changer in the sense that they know that the process has to continue.”

6 hours ago, China said:

Perhaps that's because there is no religious reason to refuse a vaccine?  It never existed in the first place?  It was just yet another lie in the string of "just recite this phrase, and then you're selfish anti-Americanism becomes immune to logic and reason."?  

Just a theory. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Perhaps that's because there is no religious reason to refuse a vaccine?  It never existed in the first place?  It was just yet another lie in the string of "just recite this phrase, and then you're selfish anti-Americanism becomes immune to logic and reason."?  

Just a theory. 

Actually the standard that gets pretty much everyone is the requirement that they be “long-held beliefs”.  So servicemembers have to show that there are other examples where their faith has stopped them from doing something similar.  The main one seems to be that the vaccine was developed using some type of fetal cells (or something like that, don’t care enough about the details) so if the member doesn’t apply that standard to everything in their life, that is a reason for denial.

Biden FINALLY getting the message - U.S. to distribute 500 million rapid tests starting in January. Unfortunately as usual this is after Omicron is already wreaking havoc - we can never get ahead of this virus, it's always wait for cases to skyrocket then react. Two years in, it's unacceptable.

But nevertheless rapid tests are coming, and that is GREAT. PCR tests that comes back in 48 hours are essentially useless for a virus this contagious, and with these type of viral kinetics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Actually the standard that gets pretty much everyone is the requirement that they be “long-held beliefs”.  So servicemembers have to show that there are other examples where their faith has stopped them from doing something similar.  The main one seems to be that the vaccine was developed using some type of fetal cells (or something like that, don’t care enough about the details) so if the member doesn’t apply that standard to everything in their life, that is a reason for denial.

You mean, it's tough for members of the US military to claim, with a straight face, that their religion forbids them from complying with an order to roll up their sleeve?  

🙂 

2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Biden FINALLY getting the message - U.S. to distribute 500 million rapid tests starting in January. Unfortunately as usual this is after Omicron is already wreaking havoc - we can never get ahead of this virus, it's always wait for cases to skyrocket then react. Two years in, it's unacceptable.

But nevertheless rapid tests are coming, and that is GREAT. PCR tests that comes back in 48 hours are essentially useless for a virus this contagious, and with these type of viral kinetics.

To be fair, making 500 million of anything takes time. The logistics are challenging. I work in prototype manufacturing and there are days we can't even manage a quantity of ten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Metalhead said:

To be fair, making 500 million of anything takes time. The logistics are challenging. I work in prototype manufacturing and there are days we can't even manage a quantity of ten.

There are billions of rapid tests already in existence, we just don't have access to them, because of decisions by the FDA to incorrectly assess them for authorization. And we would have time to scale this up if we hadn't waited until Omicron was 73% of cases in America and rising. 

• Like 1