Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

43 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

What’s the word with kids getting a booster?  Mine will have two shots plus two weeks next week.  But is that now worthless?  Is that one of the reasons kids aren’t getting vaccinated?

Kids aren't authorized for boosters yet and won't be for a while. It's not useless and their age puts them at much less risk.

2 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Kids aren't authorized for boosters yet and won't be for a while. It's not useless and their age puts them at much less risk.

This is where I’m confused and haven’t found a good answer. You say that two doses provides minimal protection — and I’ve read that elsewhere.  If that’s the case, should we continue living in ways as if they haven’t been vaccinated?  I don’t regret getting them the vaccine and think parents should do the same.  But if it’s providing minimal protection, would it be irresponsible to take them to see Sing2 in theatre? (I wouldn’t take them if they were unvaccinated)

It does provide minimal protection from symptomatic infection, but Pfizer's study indicates there is still solid protection from severe disease. And children are already at much lower risk to begin with for COVID-19.

I think it bears more caution but there's other mitigations - have them wear a true mask for example (KF94, KN95).

Air Force discharges 27 for refusal to get Covid vaccine

The Air Force has discharged 27 people for refusing to get the Covid-19 vaccine, making them what officials believe are the first service members to be removed for disobeying the mandate to get the shots.

The Air Force gave its forces until Nov. 2 to get the vaccine, and thousands have either refused or sought an exemption. Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek said Monday that these are the first airmen to be administratively discharged for reasons involving the vaccine.

She said all of them were in their first term of enlistment, so they were younger, lower-ranking personnel. And while the Air Force does not disclose what type of discharge a service member gets, legislation working its way through Congress limits the military to giving troops in vaccine refusal cases an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable condition.

None of the 27 sought any type of exemption, medical, administrative or religious, Stefanek said. Several officials from the other services said they believe that so far only the Air Force has gotten this far along in the process and discharged people over the vaccine refusal.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 1

Dem governor declares COVID-19 emergency ‘over,’ says it’s ‘their own darn fault’ if unvaccinated get sick

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis, a Democrat, declared in a new interview that the COVID-19 emergency is "over" and that he won’t be implementing another statewide mask mandate in response to the spread of the omicron variant, explaining that if people aren’t vaccinated at this point it’s their "own darn fault" if they get sick.

"Everybody had more than enough opportunity to get vaccinated," Polis told Colorado Public Radio on Friday. "Hopefully it's been at your pharmacy, your grocery store, a bus near you, [or at] big events. At this point, if you haven't been vaccinated, it's really your own darn fault."

"Those who get sick, it's almost entirely their own darn fault," he continued. "I don't want to say that nobody [will get the virus if they’re] vaccinated, but it's very rare. Just to put it in perspective, of the about 1,400 people hospitalized, less than 200 (or 16%) are vaccinated. And many of them are older or have other conditions. Eighty-four percent of the people in our hospitals are unvaccinated, and they absolutely had every chance to get vaccinated."

• Like 1

Navy starts kicking out sailors for refusing Covid vaccine as Republicans rage over mandate

The Navy has begun kicking out sailors who refuse to get the Covid-19 vaccine, but it won’t slap dishonorable discharges on anyone for their decision to ignore a direct order.

Overall, 5,731 active-duty sailors remain unvaccinated, and at this point Navy officials say they believe most of those will likely continue to refuse the order, weeks after the Nov. 28 deadline for full vaccination.

“If a sailor gets their shot, we will honor that and make every effort to retain them,” Rear Adm. James Waters, the Navy’s director of military personnel plans and policy, told reporters. “On the other hand, those who continue to refuse the vaccine will be required to leave the Navy.”

A total of 336,000 sailors are vaccinated, a massive undertaking that service leaders stressed was necessary to keep ships crewed during deployments, where sailors work in close contact in cramped spaces for months at a time.

The announcement comes the same week the Air Force discharged more than two-dozen airmen for refusing the shot.

Under the Navy’s rules, unvaccinated officers and enlisted sailors eligible to retire or leave the service before June 1, 2022, will be allowed to do so with an honorable discharge.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

On 12/14/2021 at 11:15 AM, Ball Security said:

This is where I’m confused and haven’t found a good answer. You say that two doses provides minimal protection — and I’ve read that elsewhere.  If that’s the case, should we continue living in ways as if they haven’t been vaccinated?  I don’t regret getting them the vaccine and think parents should do the same.  But if it’s providing minimal protection, would it be irresponsible to take them to see Sing2 in theatre? (I wouldn’t take them if they were unvaccinated)

From what I have read is that the initial doses efficacy starts to wear down, especially after 6 months. But until then there is good resistance. So children getting shots now will not need to be considered for boosters for 6 months or so, assuming the same pattern holds true. 

Someone may have a better answer but that is what my understanding is. 

17 minutes ago, Gallen5862 said:

I got My Johnson and Johnson Covid 19 Booster Shot on Tuesday<, So far just mild side effects. Mainly just feeling Tired and Sore!

I got the Pfizer booster on the same day and got pretty bad side effects.  Fever, chills, joint pain, headache, fatigue.  Last night was the worst portion of it but it's passing quickly today.  It's how I know it worked I guess, but it took me by surprise after I had virtually no side effects following the first two doses.

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

From what I have read is that the initial doses efficacy starts to wear down, especially after 6 months. But until then there is good resistance. So children getting shots now will not need to be considered for boosters for 6 months or so, assuming the same pattern holds true. 

Someone may have a better answer but that is what my understanding is. 

The antibody/first response begins to wane, this is the mechanism for “breakthrough” cases.

The secondary/T-cell response remains potent, this is the mechanism for vastly reduced hospitalizations and fatalities.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The antibody/first response begins to wane, this is the mechanism for “breakthrough” cases.

The secondary/T-cell response remains potent, this is the mechanism for vastly reduced hospitalizations and fatalities.

That was my understanding also but the question was around the booster and why children were not approved for the booster right away if 3 shots provides better protection. 

My understanding is that the initial vaccination (2 shots for Mod and PH) starts to deteriorate at a much higher rate after 6 months. This is why they recommend adults wait till 6 months after your last vaccine shot to get the booster. The same would seem to apply ot children. No saying this is 100%, but it is what I had read. 

• Thumb up 1

On 12/14/2021 at 11:15 AM, Ball Security said:

Two doses for adults early in 2021 have been impacted by waning immunity (reduced effectiveness). I don't know if the kids' two doses will be sufficient, because they are fresh.

So there are 3 levels of protection: antibodies, T-Cells, B-cells. antibody protection is down after 6 months, so you can get sick with symptoms. T-Cells, B-cells take a few days to ramp up but clear out the infection faster.

I wouldn't go to the  theater, but if that's a MUST then go when the theater is going to be least populated.

Edited by Elessar78
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Do you work for Umbrella?