Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

1 hour ago, mojo said:

I’m not going hijack the thread so this is my last word on the matter. 
it most certainly did happen.  They both politicized the vaccine by questioning its safety under the guise of “I trust scientists, not Donald Trump” like Trump is making vaccines in his kitchen sink and sending them out to the masses.  

If saying that Trump needs to stop pressuring the relevant agencies and let the regulators do their job is politicizing, then you just have an extremely broad and inaccurate definition of that word.  

Little over 24 hours on the booster and just like with the initial vaccine injections and as expected,no problems so far. Maybe a little fatigue but only a little. :) 

Still not picking up any signals from Mars so I am a little disappointed.  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just sharing our testing experience from this week as an FYI......

Our oldest daughter came back from Towson University on Friday last week.  Towson had a big outbreak and she wanted out.  All finals moved to online.  She had some sniffles on Monday  last week.  Her roomie had sniffles on Thursday / Friday.  My wife picked them up and brought them back to Howard County.  They all wore masks in the car.  Roomie went and got tested on Saturday.  Stood in line for 4 hours.  Rapid came back positive.  Crap.  We couldn't find any tests for Saturday - so on Sunday, my wife took my daughter to a mobile testing facility.  They got there 2 hours before it opened.  We knew it would be bad since not many spots open on a Sunday.  They were 11th in line.  They were there for 4.5 hours.  I ended up taking them folding chairs and blankets.  Sunday night - roomies PCR came back positive.  Sunday night older daughter's rapid came back negative.  On Tuesday, early in the AM, daughter's PCR came back positive.  Crap.  We looked to book tests for wife, daughter and me on Wednesday.  Secured three appointments Wednesday afternoon.  When we went - they ran out of PCR tests and wanted to charge $100 each for the rapids.   I don't mind the charge so much (although that wasn't anywhere on the website or insurance info when we booked) - but that seems a bit steep for just a rapid w/ no more accurate PCR.

So today - we went to Howard County Fairgrounds.  They open at 8:30.  We got there at 7:00AM.  We were about 175 cars back.  Five cars after us - they started turning cars away.  We were tested and on our way at 3:08 pm.  We were there for 8 hours and 8 minutes.  

Maybe where some of you are - the testing is great.  It used to be around here too - a couple weeks ago.  It is The Hunger Games where we live in Howard County, Maryland.  We have many friends and family that simply can't find a place to get a test.  Maybe it will get better after Xmas.  I'm thinking it won't as more people get together and more people get exposed.

Now we wait for results.  We delayed holiday gatherings w/ family until oldest daughter is out of QT and hoping we are negative so the timer doesn't reset.

Older daughter has no symptoms.  We have no symptoms either.

Happy Holidays all.

GV

• Sad 6

@Grumpy Vet yeah I heard the fair grounds have been a nightmare the last few days. I just passed the Mobile unit on 40 in EC at about 4:50pm there was about 10 people in line. There is also a relatively new walk up test site in EC off St.Johns lane in EC. Also, I would try All Care in EC you have to schedule an appt, but I have never had to wait any time for a test. And if online is booked just call them, they have been able to fit people in. I already scheduled our video appt for Jan 2 after we return from visiting family on the shore.

5 minutes ago, just654 said:

@Grumpy Vet yeah I heard the fair grounds have been a nightmare the last few days. I just passed the Mobile unit on 40 in EC at about 4:50pm there was about 10 people in line. There is also a relatively new walk up test site in EC off St.Johns lane in EC. Also, I would try All Care in EC you have to schedule an appt, but I have never had to wait any time for a test. And if online is booked just call them, they have been able to fit people in. I already scheduled our video appt for Jan 2 after we return from visiting family on the shore.

Thanks for the reply j.  We had our eye on that mobile unit at Small Miracles (used to be at the old Pizza Hut) - but after we got burned yesterday afternoon - we were concerned the smaller operations were going to run out of tests.  The same company did our oldest daughter's test on Sunday at Blandair park.  They were so slow and late to open up we decided to gamble on the Fairgrounds.  When we got in line at the FG - we never imagined we'd be there that long.  That's why I posted.  We actually got a little giddy at the end - determined to see it through.

We tried All Care and they had no appointments available.  We tried the Quality First in Clarksville - no appointments until the 27th.  I think the last few days have really stressed the system and has pretty much broken it.

My sister sent me a place that has appointments available in Elkridge / Columbia - but they want $275 per PCR and $140 for rapid.  For a group of three - that's way pricey.

Sounds like we are in the same hood.  We live about 5 miles east of the Fair Grounds and 5 miles west of Small Miracles.  Stay safe and have a great holiday.  Wishing for a Christmas miracle that the wife, youngest daughter and I dodge a bullet and we take it to the 'Boys this weekend.

To everyone doing the right thing with exposures or positives by testing, QTing, cancelling/delaying holiday plans, my sincerest thanks and best wishes for you and your family.  Always nice to be reminded that despite all the negative things we hear about, there are so many responsible, good people in our  communities.  

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 2

45 minutes ago, Grumpy Vet said:

We tried All Care and they had no appointments available.  We tried the Quality First in Clarksville - no appointments until the 27th.  I think the last few days have really stressed the system and has pretty much broken it.

My sister sent me a place that has appointments available in Elkridge / Columbia - but they want $275 per PCR and $140 for rapid.  For a group of three - that's way pricey.

Sounds like we are in the same hood.  We live about 5 miles east of the Fair Grounds and 5 miles west of Small Miracles.  Stay safe and have a great holiday.  Wishing for a Christmas miracle that the wife, youngest daughter and I dodge a bullet and we take it to the 'Boys this weekend.

gotcha, crazy they want to charge for tests it is supposed to be free.

Yeah I am off Frederick Rd and St.Johns lane in EC. 

10 hours ago, bearrock said:

If saying that Trump needs to stop pressuring the relevant agencies and let the regulators do their job is politicizing, then you just have an extremely broad and inaccurate definition of that word.  

10 hours ago, bearrock said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/12/21/trump-very-appreciative-of-bidens-praise-for-operation-warp-speed/amp/

Biden recently complimented Trump for the speed at which his administration coordinated the development of the vaccine.  
This is the same guy who during his campaign questioned getting a vaccine rushed out to the public.

If Trump would have won the election, Biden would be hanging w Joe Rogan touting the benefits of horse medicine. 😆 

Edited by mojo
  • Thumb down 2

21 minutes ago, mojo said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/12/21/trump-very-appreciative-of-bidens-praise-for-operation-warp-speed/amp/

Biden recently complimented Trump for the speed at which his administration coordinated the development of the vaccine.  
This is the same guy who during his campaign questioned getting a vaccine rushed out to the public.

Committing government funds before authorization for production of vaccine is definitely something Trump should get credit for and Biden rightfully did so.  Biden also rightfully called out Trump for trying to pressure regulators to have the vaccine authorized for emergency use before the election.  Those two positions do not contradict each other.

If Trump would have won the election, Biden would be hanging w Joe Rogan touting the benefits of horse medicine.

Yeah, no.  And I'm pretty sure Biden wouldn't have suggested people take bleach to cure covid either.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Grumpy Vet said:

Our oldest daughter came back from Towson University on Friday last week.  Towson had a big outbreak and she wanted out.  All finals moved to online.  She had some sniffles on Monday  last week.  Her roomie had sniffles on Thursday / Friday.  My wife picked them up and brought them back to Howard County.  They all wore masks in the car.  Roomie went and got tested on Saturday.  Stood in line for 4 hours.  Rapid came back positive.  Crap.  We couldn't find any tests for Saturday - so on Sunday, my wife took my daughter to a mobile testing facility.  They got there 2 hours before it opened.  We knew it would be bad since not many spots open on a Sunday.  They were 11th in line.  They were there for 4.5 hours.  I ended up taking them folding chairs and blankets.  Sunday night - roomies PCR came back positive.  Sunday night older daughter's rapid came back negative.  On Tuesday, early in the AM, daughter's PCR came back positive.  Crap.  We looked to book tests for wife, daughter and me on Wednesday.  Secured three appointments Wednesday afternoon.  When we went - they ran out of PCR tests and wanted to charge $100 each for the rapids.   I don't mind the charge so much (although that wasn't anywhere on the website or insurance info when we booked) - but that seems a bit steep for just a rapid w/ no more accurate PCR.

So today - we went to Howard County Fairgrounds.  They open at 8:30.  We got there at 7:00AM.  We were about 175 cars back.  Five cars after us - they started turning cars away.  We were tested and on our way at 3:08 pm.  We were there for 8 hours and 8 minutes.  

Maybe where some of you are - the testing is great.  It used to be around here too - a couple weeks ago.  It is The Hunger Games where we live in Howard County, Maryland.  We have many friends and family that simply can't find a place to get a test.  Maybe it will get better after Xmas.  I'm thinking it won't as more people get together and more people get exposed.

Now we wait for results.  We delayed holiday gatherings w/ family until oldest daughter is out of QT and hoping we are negative so the timer doesn't reset.

Happy Holidays all.

GV

Yeah I teach in Baltimore. It's exploding right now. The city school system has been testing students weekly but decided not to this week of all weeks. Absolutely terrible decision with people traveling to visit family.

Turns out we had four positive tests this week from people who went to go get tested on their own this week, plus however many close contacts.

• Sad 1

48 hrs post boost- I can't tell I got a shot, wife is extremely miserable with a very painful arm

Would have gladly traded to spare her but it doesn't work that way, just like I can't go pee for her

Still glad to have the booster out of the way before Omicron comes screaming into town

• Thumb up 3

17 hours ago, Grumpy Vet said:

Happy Holidays all.

GV

THANK YOU for sharing this. This is exactly what I was referring to in earlier posts when I said the testing situation in the U.S. is a disaster. With a virus as contagious as Omicron, having to wait an extra day to test means you will always be behind its spread. Making people stand outside in the cold for hours is also inexcusable.

At this stage, if you have symptoms and the rapid test comes back positive, it's a positive and you should begin isolation. Don't wait for PCR to confirm, false positives are much rarer than false negatives on rapid tests.

This is why we need an abundance of at-home tests, so people can test over and over again regularly. They may not catch someone on Day 1 of their contagious phase but if they catch them on Day 2,3, 4 etc. that still prevents spread. For public health, speed and frequency trumps accuracy to cut transmission. It sucks people are now having to change holiday plans. Sorry you had to.

• Thumb up 1