Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Trebek, Jeopardy legend, passes from cancer.

The Evil Genius

RIP. He was part of many, many family nights...not just for my own, but for people around the country and world. My mom, brother, and I were glued to him, his humor, and the show itself. When my mom was in the hospital in January this year we watched the huge tourney with Ken Jennings every night (we both rooted for Ken to win). Imo, those episodes were Jeopardy at the height of perfection, and brought back memories of all those nights when I was a kid.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

A distinguished noble man.  Always composed, polite, and funny.  Great host, I enjoyed watching the show religiously as a child.  RIP.

Thank you for the correct words!  Distinguished, noble, composed, polite, and funny. 

That's the compilation of what made us watch him. 

• Like 2

One of Alex's best attributes is that he made the show about the contestants. He fascilitated, moderated, and got out of the way. It takes some skill to do that. Many hosts on TV are all about "Look at me! Look at me! Aren't I clever, witty, and wonderful!" Alex kept the show going and the tempo up without ever really turning the spotlight away from the contest.

He was great at what he did.

11 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

His last show airs on Xmas. I wonder who will now do the show. That show is too popular to end.

The random thought that came to my mind was Ken Jennings. I don't know if he could do it though he seems likable enough. Hosting a gameshow takes a subtle skill that not all have. Still, they did hire him not too long ago to be a part of the show (I think on the production side)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Burgold said:

One of Alex's best attributes is that he made the show about the contestants. He fascilitated, moderated, and got out of the way. It takes some skill to do that. Many hosts on TV are all about "Look at me! Look at me! Aren't I clever, witty, and wonderful!" Alex kept the show going and the tempo up without ever really turning the spotlight away from the contest.

He was great at what he did.

The random thought that came to my mind was Ken Jennings. I don't know if he could do it though he seems likable enough. Hosting a gameshow takes a subtle skill that not all have. Still, they did hire him not too long ago to be a part of the show (I think on the production side)

Sources Say “Jeopardy!” Producers Want GOAT Ken Jennings to Succeed Alex Trebek, He Was Being Groomed for Job

Don’t know if anyone else watched tonight.  It was the first of his last 36 unaired episodes.  Ken Jennings had his own category where he read the “answers”.  Maybe it is just because it was too soon but I was not a fan of him.  Though whoever was writing his lines sucked also.  It was so long I couldn’t even remember what they were looking for by the time he got done reading it.

55 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Don’t know if anyone else watched tonight.  It was the first of his last 36 unaired episodes.  Ken Jennings had his own category where he read the “answers”.  Maybe it is just because it was too soon but I was not a fan of him.  Though whoever was writing his lines sucked also.  It was so long I couldn’t even remember what they were looking for by the time he got done reading it.

I say no on him, as well.  You don't give Al Michael's job to Jerry Rice, type thing.

Host needs to possess the same heartwarming qualities as Alex.  Not world records.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Yeah the answers were way too wordy. But Ken Jennings is poised, quick witted, has a really good sense of humor, and has a reverence for both Alex Trebek and the game. 

I don’t know if that’s enough to be a successful replacement.  I know a lot of Jeopardy fans who want to find out, though. 

What makes this even sadder (to me) is that I kind of got over the news of his cancer a while ago. It was announced and I felt like more recent reports were that he was doing better. Then this...

Obviously I only saw 30 minutes per day of him, but I guess I incorrectly assumed when it was first announced that he'd deteriorate slowly. But he filmed shows into late-October then passed away two weeks later. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

^I seem to recall 2000, 2010, and 2020 being widely (universally?) considered the start of the new decade, new century, new millennium. So I’m going to call BS on that one. 

Technically there was no year 0, so the first decade was from 1 AD to 10 AD, first century from 1 AD to 100 AD, etc.

Honestly, its a completely academic discussion though, and a terrible Final Jeopardy question.  It doesn't really matter as long as your centuries are consistent in length.  Plus, our Jewish and Muslim friends would disagree with what year it is. 

• Like 2