Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Is he on our roster right now ?

Yes undrafted. But quite a few undrafted QB's have had success in the NFL.

He sounds like he has some qualities that Haskins does ; plus some qualities that Haskins does not.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/03/20/2020-nfl-draft-steven-montez-scouting-report/

Strengths

Teams will love the mental acumen of Montez. His father having played college quarterback and one year in the pros helped him be ready to play the position at division one. He was named team captain in 2019. Coaches have raved about his leadership on and off the field with his team.

Prototypical size for the position. Has a big arm to make all the throws. Not just a guy who will stand in the pocket and sling it all over the field. Montez can throw for accuracy when on the move in the scramble drill. Has a little Mahomes to his game with how he can sling it down the field with a flick of his wrist.

Despite being a bigger framed quarterback, Montez can evade the pass rush. Does well to sense pressure and can avoid it. Although he does have a habit of bailing on a pocket too soon and will run into trouble. Still shows adequate pocket presence.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/steven-montez/32194d4f-4e40-9509-35da-f0de6079a6e7

Strengths
  • Three-year starter with big, thick frame
  • Wrist flick release to get it out quickly
  • Throws with touch on all three levels
  • Adequate accuracy on intermediate throws
  • Good awareness of edge pressure closing in
  • Nimble feet to elude rushers and slide around pocket
  • Directs traffic in scramble situations
  • Flashes some arm talent on the move
Edited by Malapropismic Depository

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If I’m the Lions I’m probably not willing to take the cap hit for Stafford and have to find a new QB. Especially if I’m a new coach coming in there with no high draft pick to bring my own guy in.

Yeah, their cap situation isn't great, AND they have resign Galloday.  Marvin Jones is also a FA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

If I’m the Lions I’m probably not willing to take the cap hit for Stafford and have to find a new QB. Especially if I’m a new coach coming in there with no high draft pick to bring my own guy in.

Wonder if they could/might put a deal in place (prior to trade) to package their 2 1sts for one of the top draftees.  Heck, I believe they’ve still got a chance at a top 5 pick...

As for a coach coming in, on one hand, it would suck to lose a franchise qb.  On the other hand, your expectations are lower if you ship Stafford and start a rook...

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Stafford seems to be highly respected around the league.  Voted by his peers not that long ago as the 31st best player in the NFL.   He's a bigger talent from that other 30 plus year old QBs we've traded for over the years.  I get the fatigue from those deals.  I didn't want to do the last deal on that front.  Stafford to me is apples to oranges to the previous ones.   He would arguably one of the most talented QBs this franchise ever had. 

Yeah, I’d say if Stafford became available for trade it would result in one hell of a bidding war. I don’t see us being the most appealing team for him if I’m being honest.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Based on this, you must think Lance is going top 5-9 do you?

I think he will be taken quick if he escapes the top ten hence 9 I think might be the last shot at him.  But even lets say he slips to lets say 12-13.   Chiefs had to trade a third and a first to get from 27 to 10.    I'd guess we'd have to trade a first or close enough.   The problem is from 11 on there are arguably multiple teams in need for a QB so there might be competition. 

According to some NFL observers he's not that far off in their evaluation of him versus Zach and Fields.  If that's true I don't see him sliding down far in the draft. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think he will be taken quick if he escapes the top ten hence 9 I think might be the last shot at him.  But even lets say he slips to lets say 12-13.   Chiefs had to trade a third and a first to get from 27 to 10.    I'd guess we'd have to trade a first or close enough.   The problem is from 11 on there are arguably multiple teams in need for a QB so there might be competition.  

Potential similar range..

Steelers trade up for No. 10 pick

Steelers receive:
» 2019 first-round pick (No. 10; select LB Devin Bush) 

Broncos receive:
» 2019 first-round pick (No. 20; select TE Noah Fant)
» 2019 second-round pick (No. 52; trade to Bengals)
» 2020 third-round pick

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Kyle Allen and a later round QB going into next year is not a bad idea at all, IMO.  

Kyle Allen needs to be a priority signature. Very solid #2. No point paying these starters 30mil per year when as soon as they get injured the season is done. Kyle Allen has enough about him to get us to .500 with this roster.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Kyle Allen needs to be a priority signature. Very solid #2. No point paying these starters 30mil per year when as soon as they get injured the season is done. Kyle Allen has enough about him to get us to .500 with this roster.

I see where you're coming from and I agree to a certain extent but with this defense just being .500 with this roster isn't good enough.

I like Kyle as a solid backup but we need a legit #1.  I'm not saying we need a Mahomes but we need someone who's in the top half of QBs in the league if we want to make noise in the playoffs.  

Anyway, I dunno where I stand on Stafford.  Probably leaning towards no, considering the cost.  As I've stated before, I want Minshew if the Jags pick #1 and take Lawrence.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I like Kyle as a solid backup but we need a legit #1.  I'm not saying we need a Mahomes but we need someone who's in the top half of QBs in the league if we want to make noise in the playoffs.  

Agree, my point on Allen more that he keeps the ship afloat if required, instead of having someone coming in with about as much talent as me at back-up. 

Having a back-up that can keep you at 4-4 whilst he’s in when your starter is down, as opposed to say 2-6, is very valuable. 

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I want Minshew if the Jags pick #1 and take Lawrence.

I’d take a chance with Minshew.

Ideally though, Smith/Allen/Lance.

If Smith retires, who are we kidding, it’ll obviously be Cam on an incentive laden 2 year 15mil deal. Cam/Allen/Lance.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree, my point on Allen more that he keeps the ship afloat if required, instead of having someone coming in with about as much talent as me at back-up. 

Having a back-up that can keep you at 4-4 whilst he’s in when your starter is down, as opposed to say 2-6, is very valuable. 

I’d take a chance with Minshew.

Ideally though, Smith/Allen/Lance.

If Smith retires, who are we kidding, it’ll obviously be Cam on an incentive laden 2 year 15mil deal. Cam/Allen/Lance.

I don't know if Smith retires.  I think he looks around and realizes this is a team he can win with.  He's won the majority of his games as starter, he knows what he can do with this group.

We still need the QB of the future and I'm not sure how we go about getting it if Smith sticks around or if we get Cam for a 2 year deal as you've suggested.  Maybe Montez is a guy they like and wanted to bring about slowly.  Who knows.

• Like 2

Winston, Carr, Mishew, whatever. One of those mid level maybe guys we pay less than $18mil for.

Resign Allen

Draft a project QB

Draft Harris, Toney, Hunter Long and Leatherwood

Sign Ju Ju. Mosley

Resign Darby

Own the East for a long time.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't know if Smith retires.  I think he looks around and realizes this is a team he can win with.  He's won the majority of his games as starter, he knows what he can do with this group.

We still need the QB of the future and I'm not sure how we go about getting it if Smith sticks around or if we get Cam for a 2 year deal as you've suggested.  Maybe Montez is a guy they like and wanted to bring about slowly.  Who knows.

I'm really high on Smith, Allen, project QB personally.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I see where you're coming from and I agree to a certain extent but with this defense just being .500 with this roster isn't good enough.

Anyway, I dunno where I stand on Stafford.  Probably leaning towards no, considering the cost.  As I've stated before, I want Minshew if the Jags pick #1 and take Lawrence.

Are we gonna have to do this Minshew thing with you every day for the next 6 months?

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2020 at 6:49 PM, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

You’re joking but I’m legit thinking this is one of those weird, unexplainable situations in sports. I don’t know how he does it but he wins. Makes no sense. He is a living breathing sports cliche. He is the embodiment of “finds a way”. I don’t want him starting in 2021 but it is uncanny 

More seriously, the only partial explanation I can think of is that Alex Smith is very good at checking out of passing plays that aren't going to work to running plays that pick up a few yards. That wouldn't show up on his stats, but it would increase the team's chances of winning. Sadly, I'm too lazy to do any follow-up research to confirm or deny this possibility.

I really don’t know why you guys are so confused by Smith winning despite being pedestrian.

When you can trust your QB you can win games. If your quarterback is trustworthy but not so great the better teams are going to be really hard to beat. But the lower tier 1 teams, middle of the road and bad teams are beatable. 

If you add an elite defense you can stop anyone in conjunction with a ball control, turnover allergic offense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I really don’t know why you guys are so confused by Smith winning despite being pedestrian.

For me the Smith winning is less important than his style of play. It's a boring check down Alex (the stat) type offense where he throws it short of the yard marker and plans for or expects the playmaker to make a guy miss and get the first down. It's a lot of 10-12 play drives and many stall around the 35-40 leading to long fg attempts. 

This is what I expect from Alex and it's what I can deal with. Sure he'll make some mistakes and he'll be required to do more in some instances (down 17 at half) but this is the type of offense that can help a defense and if we can get some playmakers it can really explode. It's how i thought Haskins should play (with more running from the QB) and how i hope any other QB will play. Not all the time, but definitely as a fall back option instead of always going for the moon on second and 7.

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

For me the Smith winning is less important than his style of play. It's a boring check down Alex (the stat) type offense where he throws it short of the yard marker and plans for or expects the playmaker to make a guy miss and get the first down. It's a lot of 10-12 play drives and many stall around the 35-40 leading to long fg attempts. 

This is what I expect from Alex and it's what I can deal with. Sure he'll make some mistakes and he'll be required to do more in some instances (down 17 at half) but this is the type of offense that can help a defense and if we can get some playmakers it can really explode. It's how i thought Haskins should play (with more running from the QB) and how i hope any other QB will play. Not all the time, but definitely as a fall back option instead of always going for the moon on second and 7.

That’s one of the reasons he wins. He is his style. And because he’s prepared, works his ass off, practices what he preaches and is a charismatic, likable dude... the guys believe they always have a chance with him.

This is the most underrated aspect of a QB that goes totally overlooked by most.