Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

36 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Edit: You must be talking about pass attempts now. That's a completely different argument than what I'm talking about. That's something that works against Mac Jones, but again I'm not here to defend him lol. Obviously you take that into consideration when scouting him, he doesn't have quite the experience you want. 

I just think that historically you wanted a QB that had tons of experience in college. I think the same is true today, but its somewhat balanced by mobility. So you can see the Cam Newtons and Michael Vicks and RG3 and Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray and other QBs come in with less mobility but still some running ability (Josh Allen) come in and are able to make up for their lack of experience and say their inability to read defenses as quickly as a 4 year starter could because they're also running QBs which is more difficult for a defense to plan against. Like Vick was such a threat that they had to redefine defenses and actually come up with these spy guys to literally watch him. Newton was a great runner, so much that it took him to a SB and an NFL MVP because it opened up the deep ball for him. 

In the 80s Elway was the lead rusher in the AFC with 250 yards or so. That was a running QB back then. Now we have 1000+ yard rushing QBs. I don't think that's the ultimate solution, but look at the pocket passers you mention - Cousins, Goff, Jimmy G, and Ryan. Only Ryan came into the league looking good. The rest looked like busts or just had to sit for a while. I have a lot more confidence that Trask, Newman or Mond could come into the league and look good this year or even next year. And I don't even have high hopes for Trask being ready that fast with my evidence being Cousins, Goff and Jimmy G among others. But I think Newman and Mond could come in and give us a spark with their legs. How good is their arm? we don't know because, Newman has little experience just like Jones. And Mond has tons of experience, but its wishy washy. 

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm curious to why you say this? Is he a headache or does he have leadership problems? I don't think he has enough attempts and starts to be a high draft pick but I think he has all the talent you'd want. There was a lot of talk of him being up there with the top 4 of this draft. The COVID stuff makes guys like him and Lance a bit tricky because they both had good years in 2019 (Lance was way better than Newman) but it gives the idea that both could have had dominant years this year and been high first rounders. Lance only played one game and looked less like the elite guy he did in 2019 and Newman didn't play. Plus there is the whole thing about Newman leaving Wake Forest for Georgia and potentially being afraid of losing the starting job at GA. But the second part of that is rumor. 

Jamie Newman Passing Rushing
Year Team Class GP Cmp Att % Yds TD Int Att Yds Avg TD
2017 Wake Forest FR 1 2 4 50.0 8 0 1 1 5 5.0 0
2018 Wake Forest SO 6 84 141 59.6 1,083 9 4 64 247 3.9 4
2019 Wake Forest JR 12 220 361 60.9 2,868 26 11 180 574 3.2 6
2020 Georgia SR Opted Out due to COVID-19 pandemic.
Career 19 306 506 60.5 3,959 35 16 245 826 3.4 10

His record is limited and not sterling. As a freshman he played in one game, threw two passes, completed one and had one intercepted. As a sophomore he played in six games and completed less than 60% of his passes with four interceptions. As a junior he played a full season and completed only 61% of his passes with 11 interceptions. His career stat is a 60.5% completion rate. He made a personal decision to leave Wake Forest for his senior year with no regard for team loyalty. He opted out of playing at Georgia with no regard for team loyalty. By the way, UGA went on to play ten games in 2020, winning eight of them while using three QBs. You were better off with Trask, and I would take Ehlinger, White, Thomas or even Mond before I would bring Newman into the WTF QB room.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I just think that historically you wanted a QB that had tons of experience in college. I think the same is true today, but its somewhat balanced by mobility. So you can see the Cam Newtons and Michael Vicks and RG3 and Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray and other QBs come in with less mobility but still some running ability (Josh Allen) come in and are able to make up for their lack of experience and say their inability to read defenses as quickly as a 4 year starter could because they're also running QBs which is more difficult for a defense to plan against. Like Vick was such a threat that they had to redefine defenses and actually come up with these spy guys to literally watch him. Newton was a great runner, so much that it took him to a SB and an NFL MVP because it opened up the deep ball for him. 

In the 80s Elway was the lead rusher in the AFC with 250 yards or so. That was a running QB back then. Now we have 1000+ yard rushing QBs. I don't think that's the ultimate solution, but look at the pocket passers you mention - Cousins, Goff, Jimmy G, and Ryan. Only Ryan came into the league looking good. The rest looked like busts or just had to sit for a while. I have a lot more confidence that Trask, Newman or Mond could come into the league and look good this year or even next year. And I don't even have high hopes for Trask being ready that fast with my evidence being Cousins, Goff and Jimmy G among others. But I think Newman and Mond could come in and give us a spark with their legs. How good is their arm? we don't know because, Newman has little experience just like Jones. And Mond has tons of experience, but its wishy washy. 

Of course, all experience does is provide you with more film and you get to see if a QB is gradually improving. You don't want a QB that doesn't really improve from his junior to senior year, there's something that could be potentially going on there and that should cause one to look into the reasoning as to why. The more experience QBs get the better they get at processing and understanding defenses, but really if Jones was already viewed in a positive light in this area, an extra season wouldn't do too much but just give more film. 

I'm aware that the NFL has changed, I think not being athletic severely caps your ceiling, I've acknowledged that in previous discussions with other posters. My argument is for those completely against drafting a QB because he isn't athletic. There are QBs in the NFL that are currently having successful careers and they aren't athletic. I'll sit here and say right now that if I had the choice between Lance and Jones, that I'm taking Trey Lance because of his traits that are more easily translatable to the current NFL. That still doesn't mean I think Jones will fail though, and if Simms says he's a top 10 pick, I'm going to try and see if I can figure out what he sees. 

Simms in 2014: Called Bortles the worst pick of all-time after Bortles was drafted. Had Derek Carr as his QB1 and Jimmy G as QB2. 

Simms in 2017: Mahomes was QB1 for him and he stated that, but he didn't have an official list that year. 

Simms in 2018: Lamar Jackson QB1, Josh Allen QB2, Baker Mayfield QB3, Sam Darnold QB4, Josh Rosen as QB5

Simms in 2019: Kyle Murray QB1, Drew Lock QB2, Dwayne Haskins QB3

Simms in 2020: Joe Burrow QB1, Justin Herbert QB2, Jordan Love QB3, Tua QB4, Jacob Eason QB5

He typically only does the top 5-10 but his order is really accurate compared to a lot of other analysts. He also said Justin Herbert had the most superstar potential out of all the QBs coming out of the draft last year. I think the only class where he got a little muddled on was 2019, but that whole class is trash currently besides Murray it seems like. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

His record is limited and not sterling. As a freshman he played in one game, threw two passes, completed one and had one intercepted. As a sophomore he played in six games and completed less than 60% of his passes with four interceptions. As a junior he played a full season and completed only 61% of his passes with 11 interceptions. His career stat is a 60.5% completion rate. He made a personal decision to leave Wake Forest for his senior year with no regard for team loyalty. He opted out of playing at Georgia with no regard for team loyalty. By the way, UGA went on to play ten games in 2020, winning eight of them while using three QBs. You were better off with Trask, and I would take Ehlinger, White, Thomas or even Mond before I would bring Newman into the WTF QB room.

Yeah and I'm not really in his bandwagon. Honestly I think he can adapt to the NFL easier than Jones because a mobile QB is not as dependent on an offensive line as an immobile one, but yeah I don't know about his ability to read defenses, his arm strength or his accuracy. And 60% is decent but nothing spectacular for college. My top guy is Mond and even he has only 59% completion in college. But I think Mond has more leadership qualities that we look for in a QB. Like there are lots of stories of Texas A&M players rallying around him and him bringing stability to the QB position. He wasn't an all star but the fact that he played 4 years there and has respectable arm and decent legs give me hope that he could be here as somebody to develop behind Heinicke. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Of course, all experience does is provide you with more film and you get to see if a QB is gradually improving. You don't want a QB that doesn't really improve from his junior to senior year, there's something that could be potentially going on there and that should cause one to look into the reasoning as to why. The more experience QBs get the better they get at processing and understanding defenses, but really if Jones was already viewed in a positive light in this area, an extra season wouldn't do too much but just give more film. 

I'm aware that the NFL has changed, I think not being athletic severely caps your ceiling, I've acknowledged that in previous discussions with other posters. My argument is for those completely against drafting a QB because he isn't athletic. There are QBs in the NFL that are currently having successful careers and they aren't athletic. I'll sit here and say right now that if I had the choice between Lance and Jones, that I'm taking Trey Lance because of his traits that are more easily translatable to the current NFL. That still doesn't mean I think Jones will fail though, and if Simms says he's a better prospect than Tua, I'm going to try and see if I can figure out what he sees. 

Simms in 2014: Called Bortles the worst pick of all-time after Bortles was drafted. Had Derek Carr as his QB1 and Jimmy G as QB2. 

Simms in 2017: Mahomes was QB1 for him and he stated that, but he didn't have an official list that year. 

Simms in 2018: Lamar Jackson QB1, Josh Allen QB2, Baker Mayfield QB3, Sam Darnold QB4, Josh Rosen as QB5

Simms in 2019: Kyle Murray QB1, Drew Lock QB2, Dwayne Haskins QB3

Simms in 2020: Joe Burrow QB1, Justin Herbert QB2, Jordan Love QB3, Tua QB4, Jacob Eason QB5

He typically only does the top 5-10 but his order is really accurate compared to a lot of other analysts. He said Justin Herbert had the most superstar potential out of all the QBs coming out of the draft last year. So when a guy like him calls Mac Jones a top 10 pick, I'm going to dig and figure out what he's seeing because he's legit at scouting QBs and WRs. 

That's a nice resume (Haskins > Jones is a question mark right now). I've said that I don't have the ability to look at film like a lot of analysts do or even read a lot of articles like I used to. So all I can really do is look for correlations in things like statistics and game logs. And I just don't see the evidence that supports Jones being anything more than Just a Guy. Maybe if he goes somewhere like Dallas where they have a great OL and he can have 5 seconds to throw, maybe then it'll make it easier for him but the main problem I have with Jones isn't that he has shown some bad traits (other than depending on Smith more than I'd like), its inexperience. And of all the guys listed above, only Jones and Haskins are immobile and has the few attempts problem. 

I’ve been watching a few film reviews and QB evaluations and am getting more interested in Kellen Mond from A&M.  Looks like he has a very large upside and a skill set that matches Turner’s scheme.  Looks like we could pick him up at our pick in the second or possibly the third.  Mond, along with the beer man and Allen, could carry us into the season.  If he realizes his “potential” we have our next guy, if not, we haven’t invested a huge  amount of capital in him.  Thoughts?

Pick up a true #2 WR in free agency (i.e.  Curtis Samuel), maybe a LT in the first round, a CB and another WR or S in the third and I think we are in business.

• Like 1

I mean, we need a major upgrade at QB. Rivera has had one year, a pretty **** year overall, playoff run aside at the end. He ain’t messing around at QB, at some stage this off-season we are going to make that significant investment. 

Anything less isn’t going to wash. 

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I mean, we need a major upgrade at QB. Rivera has had one year, a pretty **** year overall, playoff run aside at the end. He ain’t messing around at QB, at some stage this off-season we are going to make that significant investment. 

Anything less isn’t going to wash. 

I fully understand the desire to get “the guy” and if we really could get “that guy” without expending all available resources I’m on board.  But there’s only a couple of “those guys” available and they will be really expensive.  I don’t think we are just a QB away from winning a Super Bowl so I think a more methodical plan is probably best.  

But my job is not on the the line, if Ron thinks otherwise than I hope we get the best guy out there.

1 hour ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Can he run?  That's all that matters in todays NFL.  The throws will come when you can run for 1st downs.

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

17 minutes ago, Guard Bum said:

I fully understand the desire to get “the guy” and if we really could get “that guy” without expending all available resources I’m on board.  But there’s only a couple of “those guys” available and they will be really expensive.  I don’t think we are just a QB away from winning a Super Bowl so I think a more methodical plan is probably best.  

But my job is not on the the line, if Ron thinks otherwise than I hope we get the best guy out there.

To your point, I've been a Skins/WFT fan for close to 50 years and am still waiting for the franchise QB that will last 10 years or more. Every team in the league wants the next Mahomes but they are just too difficult to identify and then get on your roster. The only alternative is to build the roster the best you can and then hope to coach up the guy you have or draft a QB and hope he's the answer. The 2017 Jaguars and 2019 49ers are teams I'd use as models that nearly won Super Bowls with great rosters but came up short in large part because of weak QB play. Still, they had their chances. If we can build our team like these teams did then we are gonna be tough to beat as long as we have a QB who doesn't turn the ball over and can reasonably read a defense while knowing where to go with the ball. With our cap space and all of our draft picks we should be able to significantly upgrade the roster....that leaves the QB question?

Ryan Fitzpatrick has stated publicly that he wants to go to an organization that will give him a chance to compete to be the starter....what better place than in Washington? If he wins the job great, if he doesn't he'd still be a great backup and mentor to the other guys. He's the guy I'd target while still finding out about Allen and Heiny.....Give Fitzmagic some weapons and a stellar defense and we are gonna have a very fun season. And if Heiny beats out Fitz it's really gonna be good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

That's a nice resume (Haskins > Jones is a question mark right now). I've said that I don't have the ability to look at film like a lot of analysts do or even read a lot of articles like I used to. So all I can really do is look for correlations in things like statistics and game logs. And I just don't see the evidence that supports Jones being anything more than Just a Guy. Maybe if he goes somewhere like Dallas where they have a great OL and he can have 5 seconds to throw, maybe then it'll make it easier for him but the main problem I have with Jones isn't that he has shown some bad traits (other than depending on Smith more than I'd like), its inexperience. And of all the guys listed above, only Jones and Haskins are immobile and has the few attempts problem. 

Yeah he also had Daniel Jones at QB6 at the time but admitted that he was off on him. That's what I like about Simms, he won't sit there and die on a mountain defending a QB. He'll just say "Oh, I didn't see that or I overlooked that". Jones does have some things that translate, but to me it's in his release, it's quick and he can throw it from different angles (like Simms said), this makes me think it's possible that if he was on the run, he could be successful at making passes under pressure. He doesn't seem to get rattled (although his pocket never got too muddy often either). He isn't only successful by having the same throwing motion, if the play breaks down he can manipulate his release angle to get the ball in a tight spot. Tua was quoted saying he's more athletic than he's given credit for, he's much more athletic than Trask for example who is without a doubt a statue. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off just looking at his stats and seeing that he doesn't have a lot of yards rushing or claiming he doesn't have starting games required. 

Honestly though, some of the things Simms talks about is just beyond my knowledge. He saw something in Kizer's throwing motion and release that made him say "this guy isn't going to be an accurate QB at the next level". Said his arm was an independent contractor that wasn't working with the rest of his body on a lot of his throws, I personally wouldn't be able to catch something like that. That's a pretty highly detailed analysis that comes from years and years of watching QBs and playing the position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

So all I can really do is look for correlations in things like statistics and game logs. And I just don't see the evidence that supports Jones being anything more than Just a Guy.

I made some posts regarding Jones a month or so ago, basically saying that I think that the guy showed a lot and really impressed me.  It surprises me that there are people who are so adamantly opposed to the guy - some even seem to be making it personal like the guy kicked their dog or something.  Doesn't make sense to me.   I understand that mobility is his biggest question mark, but I think that it has been overblown quite a bit.  The guy moves well in the pocket, doesn't panic, goes through his progressions well, and makes good and quick decisions, from what I've seen.  Pulling the ball down and running is never his first or second choice, and I'm not sure that I agree with those that believe that it should be.  Some folks view it as a negative that he played on a good team.  Huh?  Others have somehow tried to say that he didn't play against any good teams.  Huh?  But I have to say that most of the posts against him have somehow been trying to argue that the fantastic season he put up was somehow smoke and mirrors. 

Until now, I've not seen anyone try to argue that it was his stats that were indicative of Just a Guy.  Rarely do I see a statement that is so completely contrary to my view of reality.  You are saying that your negative view of Jones is based on statistics and game logs, whereas I see that Jones put up one of the best statistical seasons in the history of college football, with zero bad or even mediocre games, while playing against the strongest schedule in college football.  We really have no common ground to even begin a discussion, so we will simply remain in disagreement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah and I'm not really in his bandwagon. Honestly I think he can adapt to the NFL easier than Jones because a mobile QB is not as dependent on an offensive line as an immobile one, but yeah I don't know about his ability to read defenses, his arm strength or his accuracy. And 60% is decent but nothing spectacular for college. My top guy is Mond and even he has only 59% completion in college. But I think Mond has more leadership qualities that we look for in a QB. Like there are lots of stories of Texas A&M players rallying around him and him bringing stability to the QB position. He wasn't an all star but the fact that he played 4 years there and has respectable arm and decent legs give me hope that he could be here as somebody to develop behind Heinicke. 

That's true about Mond's completion percentage, however the thing I liked about it is that he steadily improved in that area over 4 seasons. 

FR: 51.5%

SO: 57.3%

JR: 61.6%

SR: 63.3%

1 hour ago, Guard Bum said:

I’ve been watching a few film reviews and QB evaluations and am getting more interested in Kellen Mond from A&M.  Looks like he has a very large upside and a skill set that matches Turner’s scheme.  Looks like we could pick him up at our pick in the second or possibly the third.  Mond, along with the beer man and Allen, could carry us into the season.  If he realizes his “potential” we have our next guy, if not, we haven’t invested a huge  amount of capital in him.  Thoughts?

Pick up a true #2 WR in free agency (i.e.  Curtis Samuel), maybe a LT in the first round, a CB and another WR or S in the third and I think we are in business.

I've been watching more of Mond recently too. I actually like him a lot. Size is ok but not prototypical (6'2 217), big arm, super fast release, footwork is not bad but could use some refinement, good ability to extend and make off-schedule plays, isn't a "running QB" but is very quick and has nice juke ability when he does, seems to go through multiple reads pretty well at times but isn't asked to do so all that often from what I could tell.

I think he'll need a little time to develop in the NFL but with his traits he could be a really nice pick up in round 3 or so. 

• Like 1

I am going to get crushed for this. But Mac Jones reminds me a lot of Drew Brees in his college film. Extremely accurate in the short and mid range. Especially over the middle of the field. Places the ball perfectly for RAC. Throws a good deep ball with touch.  Decent arm but not elite.  Not a great athlete. But he moves around the pocket well. And he can run. He has done it in college. Jones college stats are far superior to Brees. But college football is a far different game now. 

I am not sure he fits what Turner wants to do on offense. But the guy can play. Yes he had elite talent at the skill positions. But how can you fault him for that? He threw for 4500 yards with a 77% completion percentage and 41 TD's last season. I wouldnt trade up for him. But if he is there at 19 I wouldnt be pissed if they picked him either. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 4

So reading that Ron Rivera is consistently talking to Sean McDermott and Billy Beane from Buffalo about the rebuild, if we're following their blueprint, we're trading up for a QB this year. We have an establishing culture, people on board with the program, this is exactly where the Bills were in 2018 right before the draft before they traded up for Josh Allen. If someone they like starts falling, I can imagine us being very aggressive trying to trade up. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

Decided I wouldn’t be upset if we signed Cam Newton for the right contract. He looked decent at times last year without a ton of firepower on offense. His performance took a hit after he dealt with covid. His weak passing stats ignore that the Pats ran him frequently last year.

I’m not sure if any of these guys win the starting job over Heinicke, but I’d be totally fine with either Newton, Mariota*, or Bridgewater** to round out our QB room. None are likely to require significant (or any) draft capital and I think all are decent enough to win you at least 9 games with the expected draft and FA investments in the team. 

*assumes he’s cut or traded for a late rd pick 

**assume he’s cut or traded for a late rd pick if the Panthers land another QB

Edited by skinsfan_1215

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Decided I wouldn’t be upset if we signed Cam Newton for the right contract. He looked decent at times last year without a ton of firepower on offense. His performance took a hit after he dealt with covid. His weak passing stats ignore that the Pats ran him frequently last year.

I’m not sure if any of these guys win the starting job over Heinicke, but I’d be totally fine with either Newton, Mariota, or Bridgewater to round out our QB room. None are likely to require significant (or any) draft capital and I think all are decent enough to win you at least 9 games with the expected draft and FA investments in the team. 

JP Finlay stated yesterday that they have no interest in Newton. Mariota isn't drawing any interest from anyone either probably because of his contract. That will probably change if he is released though and I'm only lukewarm to Bridgewater. I've learned over the years that the person that is not talked about is the one they are really wanting. I'm looking for them to go hard after Trubisky. He's been to a Pro Bowl and to the playoffs twice. Yes, he's up and down with his play but he has all the tools including great mobility. Put him in a different system and let Zampese get a hold of him and he may really come to life. 

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

Watching Trey Lance now a little more in depth. We would be fools not to trade up for him, that's just my honest opinion. I'll just go ahead and say it and take the flak now, I like him more than Fields. 

I’ve only ever seen him throw a pass to a receiver that wasn’t open by 10+ yards like once in all his highlights. That’s a potential issue with his transition to the NFL. Now, he’s got tools for sure. But moving from 19 to the top 10 requires a lot of draft capital, and I don’t love the idea of investing that many premium picks in a guy that’s so hard to project. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’ve only ever seen him throw a pass to a receiver that wasn’t open by 10+ yards like once in all his highlights. That’s a potential issue with his transition to the NFL. Now, he’s got tools for sure. But moving from 19 to the top 10 requires a lot of draft capital, and I don’t love the idea of investing that many premium picks in a guy that’s so hard to project. 

Agreed, not to mention that he has never faced elite competition. It's a huge gamble. If he drops to our spot at 19 then maybe you take a chance but I would never give up multiple picks. He has bust written all over him. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

What you're stating isn't even logically possible. He would have 100+ TDs, that just isn't the case. I've seen quite a few NFL throws into tight coverage where he places the ball beautifully in stride to his WRs. If they're open by 10+ yards, are they breaking stride to get the balls? This is what I saw with Haskins, he couldn't accurately put the ball in the basket even if they were wide open. 

That's a price worth paying IMO. If we're talking about highlights I can show you multiple throws where he beautifully places the ball over what I would consider good coverage. The guy has traits that can be molded into a legit NFL QB, an elite one maybe. He has great size, a rocket arm, a ball that comes out with plenty of velocity, I don't see any issues with his release, he can run a 4.5-4.6 40. 

Not to mention his production. 40 TDs and 0 Ints. People want to knock on who he played, yet Zach Wilson played scrub teams all year as well at BYU. Now if he struggled against that competition, okay then, that's obviously a huge red flag. 

17 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Agreed, not to mention that he has never faced elite competition. It's a huge gamble. If he drops to our spot at 19 then maybe you take a chance but I would never give up multiple picks. He has bust written all over him. 

Where is the elite competition Zach Wilson faced? 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda