Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

True, but I think that's really more of a one-off situation. They had the greatest QB to ever play the game and he had demonstrated that he didn't need to be surrounded by superstars to win. And Bill B is a very good defensive coach who knows how to build his schemes around the players he has. Though it's still not like they traded out of the first round every year. I think they did it a couple times though IIRC.

They haven't traded completely out of the first round a lot, but they have traded down a lot and traded picks for better picks in future years many times. After Brady's QBing and BB's coaching, that organizational philosophy is probably the next big reason for there sustained success, even when their drafting was just decent and not great. 

Thank God Chris Simms said it, too many people with no verifiable background in scouting giving their opinions on the draft, I could care less what the stat nerd from PFF says when I can't find his resume to see what his scouting background is and why I should listen to him.

I agree with Simms, why do people not believe Jones can be good, if you watch him play there's nothing to dislike besides the fact he doesnt run a 4.5.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

@Skinsinparadise looks like you have extra ammo in your Mac Jones argument now. Simms is a pretty good evaluator IMO. 

That's really @RWJ not me as for Mac.  I like Mac Jones over Trask, I don't mind him as a prospect.  But i am not all in on him -- I am undecided on him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Apparently Wilson has already provided a list of places he'd agree to be traded to, and we're not on it. Raiders and Dolphins are on it though, IIRC. 

He also hasn’t been allowed to contact any teams, so that’s just a starting point most likely. He can’t be pitched by anyone until he’s given permission, or it’s tampering, though I’m sure his agent has plenty of backdoor contacts. 

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's really @RWJ not me as for Mac.  I like Mac Jones over Trask, I don't mind him as a prospect.  But i am not all in on him -- I am undecided on him. 

I put it out there a long time ago.  Yes, he plays on a talented team, No. 1 in the Country but he has the "it" factor to me mentally and enough skills to be a very good QB and I think fits out scheme the best.  He's not fast be he knows when to get rid of the ball, doesn't stare down WRs and can move out of the pocket to get extra time to deliver the strike.  

15 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I went from being nervous we take mac jones at 19, to being more nervous we give up considerable assets to trade up for mac jones.

Good question.  We shall see how much the WFT is in on him come draft time and maybe some more hints before.  My hope is that he falls to us.  

Allen Robinson has made it clear he wants to sign with a team that will “compete for a Super Bowl.” Chris Godwin insists he won’t grab a bigger payday and end up someplace “where I’m going to be miserable.”

So when free agency starts in less than three weeks, teams will have to sell those two top receivers on more than the size of their offers. They’ll need to show them they’re ready to win, that they have a stable organization, and a clear plan for at least the immediate future.

How are the Jets supposed to do that when they don’t even know who their 2021 quarterback is?

“It’s the first question they’re all going to ask, after they know the money,” said an NFL agent, who does not have one of the top receivers this year. “Money is always going to matter most to some guys. But if it’s close, the Jets are going to have some tough questions to answer.”

That’s a problem with the start of free agency less than three weeks away and with the Jets poised to dive head-first into the pool of available receivers – a stellar group that could include Robinson, Godwin, Kenny GolladayJuJu Smith-SchusterWill Fuller and Corey Davis. The Jets are sitting on a mountain of salary cap space, so finances won’t be a problem. But they won’t even be close to figuring out their quarterback plans by the time the market opens on March 17.

In fact, the Jets’ expect to spend most of the next two months making that quarterback decision – unless, of course, Deshaun Watson or Russell Wilson were suddenly available in trade (and currently, to be clear, they are not). Jets GM Joe Douglas’ intention all along, according to team sources, has been to analyze all the top quarterbacks in the draft and weigh them against Sam Darnold (and his contract situation) before deciding which one is their best option for the franchise’s future.

That process is still in the early stages and is complicated by the absence of the NFL’s annual scouting combine this week. It will now be more than a month until the Jets’ brass can see two of the top quarterbacks in person, since BYU quarterback Zach Wilson’s Pro Day isn’t until March 26, and Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields’ Pro Day isn’t until March 30.

That means the Jets likely won’t identify their 2021 starter until it gets much closer to the first day of the NFL draft on April 29.

For the top receivers on the free-agent market, that will be far too late.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Even if this was possible, it would be pretty stupid to wait until draft day for that reason alone.

You can agree to trades in principle.

If they want 4 1s in that manner, they can agree to submit an outlined trade on draft day rather than when its conceived, that way they can build their offseason plans in February, with clear knowledge of what they will do on draft day and what their cap situation looks like.

A lot of trades do not become official until a later date. There is also ZERO chance a team will back out once it is agreed upon.

waiting until the draft to do something you are already confident in doing, would be at the expense of the rest of the offseason and FA.

2 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Ok.....why is he trash?

His first read is always open, clean pocket every throw, isn't mobile, can't play off schedule.  He throws a nice ball, that's it.  He's not a leader, zero presence off the field.  This look like a good NFL quarterback to you?  It's not Varsity Blues FFS.

ElShTwqXgAA_BGm.jpg

Edited by 86 Snyder

4 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

His first read is always open, clean pocket every throw, isn't mobile, can't play off schedule.  He throws a nice ball, that's it.  He's not a leader, zero presence off the field.  This look like a good NFL quarterback to you?  It's not Varsity Blues FFS.

ElShTwqXgAA_BGm.jpg

Not sure what to say man......book.......cover......never mind.

22 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

ElShTwqXgAA_BGm.jpg

Need to do better than that, 86

Chris Godwin insists he won’t grab a bigger payday and end up someplace “where I’m going to be miserable.” -- that's the attitude I'd want as a coach/owner/fan.  It's like Scotty said to Geordi on that ST:TNG episode Relics - (paraphrasing), "You're young and the chief engineer on a starship.  It's the best time of your life."  Or you could be the chief engineer on a garbage scow.  They need those too and probably pay a lot more.  

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Need to do better than that, 86

I guess I could fall in love with every single quarterback under the sun for 5 to 63 arbitrary hours....

Feel free to ping me about this in future.  He's heavy Nate Sudfield and the heavy is measured by doughnuts.