Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

I don't want to trade the farm for anyone.

For Deshaun:

Jets could offer:  Q. Williams+#2+#23+2022 Jets 1st

Miami could offer:  #3+Tua+#18+2022 2nd

Carolina (their owner is apparently nuts over Deshaun):  Derrick Brown+Burns+#8+2022 1st+2023 1st

We are not beating those offers

14 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

For Deshaun:

Carolina (their owner is apparently nuts over Deshaun):  Derrick Brown+Burns+#8+2022 1st+2023 1st

The only thing that I think is going to help us is that they might just roll with Wilson or Fields if I had the #2 or #3 pick. There's a chance they don't offer those picks. Friendly rookie deal, especially compared to the contract of Russell Wilson. He's also what, 32/33 years old? I'm thinking his trade value is smack dab in between what Stafford got and what Watson will get. 

Seattle also sucks at drafting these days, they seem to value young developed players more than picks (see the Jamal Adams trade). 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

If Watson is traded, Carolina, the Jets, and Miami have much better offers than we will have.  They have the higher picks.  I figure Carolina will give The Godfather offer (Derrick Brown+three #1s plus #2)

I agree, Carolina seems ready to go Ditka for Watson....insane offer will be coming. Houston may be forced to take it...It'll be something like three 1sts, McCaffrey and their best defensive player. Houston can then go get Mariota or Fitzmagic and roll from there. 

If Russell Wilson is traded, I figure it’s Vegas.  It gets him out of the conference and Seattle would want a QB back.  Carr+18 for Wilson is a fair deal.  Carr is 4 years younger and Seattle could use that first rounder on either on online or dline

• Like 1

I know we're not on the list of teams Wilson names that he would want to be traded too, but I don't believe if we put in an offer that Seattle liked that he would be opposed to coming here.

We have a very good defense, can run the ball, our offensive scheme seems to fit perfectly with Wilsons game and the current state of our division is less than stellar- not to mention he grew up in the area. With Wilson at QB and a few upgrades on both sides of the ball and I think we're right there with anybody in the NFC next season.

Not necessarily saying that I love the idea of us trading for Wilson, but if our front office likes it and makes it happen, I wouldn't hate it.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

For Deshaun:

Carolina would be so dumb to offer that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If Russell Wilson is traded, I figure it’s Vegas.  It gets him out of the conference and Seattle would want a QB back.  Carr+18 for Wilson is a fair deal.  Carr is 4 years younger and Seattle could use that first rounder on either on online or dline

No way Seattle would take that deal. It would have to be Carr +18 plus at least the Raiders 1st round pick next year as well. And probably more than that. They'd likely be looking for the equivalent of 3 1sts plus.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Even owners will be dragged away from a phone and hogtied before some of those trades are proposed.

I agree there will be steep offers, but no one is going to put up their two best D players, on rookie deals, plus 3 1s. No one is THAT crazy.

That would be like us dealing Young, Sweat and 3 ones. Its never gonna happen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I just don't put much into what this CBS NFL beat reporter says.  Sorry.  If it's Schefter or Rappoport than it's got substance.

JLC isn't always wrong.  He broke first their interest in Haskins before that draft and also that things aren't good with them and Trent before it went south.   But up to you who to ignore, I am just posting stuff when I see it.

On another note, Fowler on with Keim in a podcast.    Both Fowler and Keim said when they ask about Darnold he's a polarizing player, very mixed opinions depending on who they ask about him. 

Fowler seems to think Mariota is a major WFT target, Keim seemed to concurr. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

On 2/24/2021 at 1:45 PM, mistertim said:

I think Heinicke will get a shot to win the job (outside of some crazy scenario where we get Watson), but it's pretty clear IMO that RR and the rest of the FO do not necessarily see him as the answer. Otherwise they wouldn't be out there publicly talking about needing to upgrade the position.

As for Mariota, I have a hard time seeing him take a 1 year deal. He'll probably have a few teams offering him a mult-year deal so we'd probably need to do the same. Fitz could be a 1 year thing or maybe a couple. 

Agreed on Darnold. If he were a FA or maybe even just a 6th or 7th round pick, I'd be ok with it. But they want at least a 2nd reportedly. Hard pass on that one. 

A mild Fields drop and trade up may work.  I see it at least as more likely than Watson. v Otherwise I agree about Heinicke at this point.

23 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't see anybody willing to pay Smith 23 M. We wont be doing that ourselves.

We all know that Smith will not be back in Wash... at least at his current price.

The only way Smith is tradable is if he agrees to re-work his deal and take a massive pay cut. Why would he do that when he knows he can sit on his hands, wait for the team to cut him, then choose his own destination in FA. He does not owe us anything, there is little reason for him to do us a solid like that. 

Even with the reworked deal, i could really only imagine getting a little more than a pick swap in return

Cost to them would be 19mill and 21mill and nothing guaranteed.  Not saying that's ideal and a team would trade for him.  Guess it depends on if they think he could get more.  Zero guarantees might be an advantage. 

We'd keep the ~9mill prorated as dead cap.  Whether we spread pre/post June 1st at this point it's the same for release vs trade.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@Burgundy Yoda Miami being able to send #3 and Tua would be enticing. Now, if Seattle doesn’t want Tua, maybe #3 and 18 and then a Miami can try and trade Tua. A little 3-way action. 

Seattle gets 3, 19, 36 ... Miami gets Wilson. Washington gets Tua

See the source image

Edited by Number 44

20 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

You mean, in general, a trade isn’t happening? Or a trade to WFT isn’t happening? 

His camp actually said they haven't asked for or demanded a trade because that was the original report but if Seattle decided to do so his agent referenced a few preferable teams.  WFT isn't on the list and He has a no trade clause.  It's typical agent and FO speak!

Edited by HigSkin

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

JLC isn't always wrong.  He broke first their interest in Haskins before that draft and also that things aren't good with them and Trent before it went south.   But up to you who to ignore, I am just posting stuff when I see it.

On another note, Fowler on with Keim in a podcast.    Both Fowler and Keim said when they ask about Darnold he's a polarizing player, very mixed opinions depending on who they ask about him. 

Fowler seems to think Mariota is a major WFT target, Keim seemed to concurr. 

Fowler and especially Keim are legit but I don't trust JLC.  Just me.  :)  

30 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

You mean, in general, a trade isn’t happening? Or a trade to WFT isn’t happening? 

Both

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

SF Athletic article. so many other teams have narratives similar to ours, which makes me pessimistic about a QB dropping close to our pick. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 6.26.03 PM.png

You know I've thought a lot about I wonder if a team or someone associated with an organization puts out fake news (ala Dan Marino) that causes a QB to drop.  I certainly hope not.  

Edited by RWJ

11 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It sounded a lot like what Belichick did for years. 

True, but I think that's really more of a one-off situation. They had the greatest QB to ever play the game and he had demonstrated that he didn't need to be surrounded by superstars to win. And Bill B is a very good defensive coach who knows how to build his schemes around the players he has. Though it's still not like they traded out of the first round every year. I think they did it a couple times though IIRC.

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

If I'm Houston, that sounds like a good offer even if Watson isn't forcing a deal. I'd at least be looking at Fields and Lance and seeing if I really liked one and exploring whether I could trade up and take one of them if I pulled the trigger on that Carolina deal.