Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

4 hours ago, Panninho said:

Dear Ron,

I was under the impression you had been reading my posts. News this morning has me concerned you somehow were confused with the off season plan I gave you.

You began correctly by extending Heinicke and move from Alex.

You went after Stafford with a very good offer and better than the one they took

Next was to extend Scherff...not tag him for $18 freaking milliion

I gave a list good list of veteran QB's and a few in the draft.

I gave you a really short list of no go QB's....Sammy was at the top of that list. I think you may have gotten the lists mixed up. Please review before you pull the trigger on a QB.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 3
  • Haha 10

Kinda bummed that we tagged Scherrf. First test of the new front office has to be scored as a failure. 

While he’s clearly good, I don’t know that he’s a game changer. Worse, he’s consistently missed about a quarter of every season. 

if it were between franchising and letting him test the market, I’d let him tes the market with the understanding that we are interested in matching. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Kinda bummed that we tagged Scherrf. First test of the new front office has to be scored as a failure. 

While he’s clearly good, I don’t know that he’s a game changer. Worse, he’s consistently missed about a quarter of every season. 

if it were between franchising and letting him test the market, I’d let him tes the market with the understanding that we are interested in matching. 

Do we know if Scherff has signed it? May be able to rescind if no long term deal is reached. 

14 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This aged well :ols: You couldn’t hold this in for six more minutes? 

The league will never treat QBs like RBs lol, what a silly comment. You will continue to see them be overpaid and over-drafted for a very long time.

The point I was making was not whether Dallas should or should not give him the deal. The point was, that when they give him the deal, they're done. Turns out six minutes later it was announced lol. 40 million for one guy won't help you win consistently. You get a quarterback on a rookie deal, fill out the rest of the roster. 

Last 10 Super Bowl Winners:

• Super Bowl LV - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Brady friendly deal. Could make the argument Chiefs not as good this past year. Why? Mahomes cap number balloons due to a new dea. 
  • Super Bowl LIV - Kansas City Chiefs - Mahomes on a rookie deal. Extension and new deal that that offseason.
  • Super Bowl LIII – New England Patriots
  • Super Bowl LII – Philadelphia Eagles - Wentz on a rookie deal and Foles on a backup quarterback contract.
  • Super Bowl LI – New England Patriots
  • Super Bowl 50 – Denver Broncos - Peyton on a cap friendly deal. One of the only times in his career he had a cap friendly deal.
  • Super Bowl XLIX – New England Patriots - Brady, cap friendly deal. Wilson lost due to bad passing call instead of handing to Beast Mode. New deal after the season if I'm not mistaken. Haven't been back since. Wilson is a top 5 quarterback and still haven't gotten there.
  • Super Bowl XLVIII – Seattle Seahawks - Wilson on a rookie deal
  • Super Bowl XLVII – Baltimore Ravens - Flacco on a rookie deal, signed a bit extension, not good after.
  • Super Bowl XLVI – New York Giants - Eli on a cap friendly deal at the time, renegotiated a contract, not good after. 

The above list ignores all the quarterbacks who got to Super Bowls on rookie deals and lost the game, ie Matt Ryan, Jared Goff, Colin Kaepernik that got there on rookie deals and the team hasn't sniffed it since. Mahomes was the only one to make it back. Hell, Aaron Rogers hasn't made it to a Super Bowl on top 5 cap hit contract. What is interesting is the 49ers got to one with Jimmy G. on a large deal but was it top 5 money? I'm not sure. 

Edited by Busch1724
  • Like 2

I have read some really bad pieces on Darnold on here, and some "prognosticators" on twitter. But if there are several NFL talent evaluators that think Darnold just needs a fresh environment, and Ron and Marty acquire him ... I really can't say I will "lose enthusiasm" because clearly they buy-in to that as well.

Darnold, Jameis, Mariota. Trubisky. I have similar feelings for all 4. All of them were elite prospects coming out. #3, #1, #2, #2 picks respectively. Clearly teams saw something in them coming out, and clearly they were not supported by enough talent/coaching to thrive at this level. (some more coaching, others more talent, some aka Darnold, both).

Each of those guys is young enough to rebuild and be a potential value/steal if you can get it right. The risk/reward is where the value is, and obviously each within that group has their own risk/reward ratio.

I have no idea what Darnold would cost from a draft-pick perspective. He came out super young at USC, had a terrible situation in NY, he's still probably the same age as a lot of guys entering their 2nd years and he's entering his 4th.

The thing that stinks about that group though is if you do get one of them and they blow up you're immediately entering a territory where you'll have to pay them big bucks after 2021. If you go the rookie path, you probably have slightly similar risk/rewards but you pay substantially less.

Unless the WFT acquires Darnold for a 3rd round pick then signs him to a 4 year, $80m deal and structures it in a way that you can get out fairly cheaply after Year 1 if it's a fail ... and if he blows up you have some protection to him being fairly cheap for 3 more years.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

Understanding that "It's a business".... isn't it a slap in the face to Kyle Allen if we went out an traded for Darnold, after trading for Kyle Allen last year. I read a while back that they are super close friends and train/live together during Covid, with Josh Allen as well.

Just seems strange

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I have no idea what Darnold would cost from a draft-pick perspective.

I like to think of it in used car lot terms. Darnold's depreciated at least fifty percent because he's been taken off the lot. He's driven over pot holes, been in a fender bender or two, and faced some of the regular wear and tear of driving. More importantly, he doesn't have that new car smell where you lean back and imagine what a great car he might become. The used car story is less about potential, though some love to rebuild a car from scratch, and more about production.

What a fair price for Darnold on the used car market is way different than the price the seller dreams about when writing their classified ad.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Has anybody heard if we've tendered Kyle Allen or plan to?

"It might be cheating, but if I had to guess one free agent QB that Washington will sign, it will be Kyle Allen. Sure, he's only an exclusive rights free agent, but I expect him back in Burgundy and Gold."

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Do we know if Scherff has signed it? May be able to rescind if no long term deal is reached. 

I'm hoping it's the non exclusive franchise Tag, somebody else signs him to a deal and we have right to match it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed its not the exclusive franchise Tag, 18m is far too much for a Guard. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm just curious if we actually tendered him though and is the deadline for that tender also today?

Yes he's an exclusive rights free agent but if we don't tender him he becomes an unrestricted free agent. 

He has not been tendered. But the deadline is March 17th, the start of the new season which is also the official start of free agency (not the legal tampering date of March 15th. 

• Like 1

Twitter jockeys are always trying to make predictions by connecting the dots to previous coaches. I highly doubt that Bridgewater ends up in Washington. Turner wants to go deep, and that's one of the glaring weaknesses of Bridgewater's game. Too inconsistent in that area.

• Like 1

Quote from Reddit: 

You're not a fan of football until you hype yourself up for a QB prospect that is out of the league in ~4 years.

Source: Someone who was waaaaaaaay too high on Bryce Petty and Kyle Lauletta

This is such a true comment. As somebody who loved Lauletta, Rudolph, and a few others. 

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Super pumped the Cowboys signed up Dak for the long haul... great for the rest of the NFCeast! Even when he had stacked teams they did squat. The NFCEast is ours for now, assuming we get a decent QB

Man, I hope you're right bro. I see a lot of this Dallas is done on here and I hate that I feel like this, but I don't think so.

I understand that the contract they signed Prescott to seems to financially strap them for the foreseeable future, but on the flip side of that, Prescott is a very good QB and is undoubtedly the best QB in our division as of right now.

Assuming Dallas puts out the same team- or close to it- this year as last year, they're going to be in the division fight with a healthy Prescott. Hell, they were in it to the end last season playing Andy Dalton, Ben Dinucci and Garrett Gilbert at QB.

Aside from Prescott returning, I expect the Dallas defense to be vastly improved this year, even if they can't add any significant help. And the reason I say that is because of the hiring of Dan Quinn as their new DC.

Quinn is an excellent DC and will improve that Dallas D over their previous DC, Mike Nolan, tenfold. And just as a little food for thought, Quinn was 7-2 against Rivera and Carolina during their time as head coach's of those teams and as the Seattle DC prior to that, Quinn's defenses in Seattle were 3-0 against Rivera's Panthers, which includes a Seattle win over Carolina in the 2014 divisional playoffs. 

Obviously, an improved D is only going to help Prescott and I see Dallas as a real threat in the division. They have a top ten QB and hired a top tier DC. Those two factors alone, in what is still a weak NFC East, are going to put Dallas right in the mix of our division, regardless of how cash strapped they are. 

Good QB play and a solid D will win you a lot of games. Dallas appears to have both and as much as I hope I'm wrong, I think Dallas is the team we're going to have to beat in the NFC East.    

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Super pumped the Cowboys signed up Dak for the long haul... great for the rest of the NFCeast! Even when he had stacked teams they did squat. The NFCEast is ours for now, assuming we get a decent QB

I'm of the opinion that Dak is good enough that Dallas will be a 9-10 win team and be able to hide the real issues.  From 2006-2014, I think Romo was the primary reason Dallas won as much as they did versus competing with us for worse team in the NFC.

For some reason I can't of late cut and paste MMQ from Breer and can only access it on my phone.

In today's column he talked about the Fitzpatrick fit to a roster and spent a paragraph saying he matches well to the WFT.  And only matched him to WFT.  Couldn't tell if that's purely his take or he heard something. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For some reason I can't of late cut and paste MMQ from Breer and can only access it on my phone.

In today's column he talked about the Fitzpatrick fit to a roster and spent a paragraph saying he matches well to the WFT.  And only matched him to WFT.  Couldn't tell if that's purely his take or he heard something. 

Here you go SIP...

Keep an eye on Ryan Fitzpatrick being a viable option for a team that might not like its options at the quarterback position in 2021 and is looking to tread water for a year. To me, Washington has always made sense there, presuming the team doesn’t land a Deshaun Watson type. Ron Rivera’s team is ready to win now, with an ascending defense and some intriguing young talent on offense, and Fitzpatrick could give them the chance to for maybe $5 million or $6 million per year. The Football Team has the 20th pick in the draft. They have a couple young guys they like (Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinicke). Getting Fitzpatrick, to me, would achieve two goals—both giving them a solid for-now answer that wouldn’t require a long-term commitment, and allowing them to wait on taking a big swing for another year.

• Like 1