Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

I'm sure the 75m is what he earns this year via signing bonus and salary.  The bonus of course would be spread over 4 years for the cap hit.

And that's the *really* obscene thing here.  He gets another bite at the apple in 4 years.  The reports were Dallas wanted 5 years so not only did he get the cash he wanted, he got the term he wanted too.

Dak bent them straight over a barrel and whipped that ass good and proper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Busch1724 said:

Well the Cowboys won't and neither will any other team coughing up that kind of money. We're soon at a point where quarterbacks will be like running backs, draft one, and let it go. This will happen until there is some market correction so teams can fill out the rest of their rosters. Guys like Dak, Kirk, Matt Ryan, etc. are not worth that kind of cap hit when they need help around them. Besides being the GOAT, another reason Brady won so much was that he was taking below market deals for nearly, it not all of his career. 

This aged well :ols: You couldn’t hold this in for six more minutes? 

The league will never treat QBs like RBs lol, what a silly comment. You will continue to see them be overpaid and over-drafted for a very long time.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Haha 2

I have a weird feeling we end up with Jameis on a prove it 1 year deal. And I wouldn’t hate it. Rivera knows what he’s capable of and if he slips free of NO due to their cap we pounce. 

Payton saw what he could do after years playing against him and brought him in. Wonder if Ron does the same. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I have a weird feeling we end up with Jameis on a prove it 1 year deal. And I wouldn’t hate it. Rivera knows what he’s capable of and if he slips free of NO due to their cap we pounce. 

Payton saw what he could do after years playing against him and brought him in. Wonder if Ron does the same. 

I don't think so. I'm going with the guy that no one is talking about and I personally think he'd be a great fit....Mitch Trubisky. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'd be cool with that.  Right now my top 3 of the 2nd-3rd tier types in order

1. Fizpatrick -- I think the best win now option

2.  Mariota -- like his mobility upside

3.  Winston -- wildcard with the biggest upside.

Seems like most think the Saints figure out how to keep him coupled with Winston supposedly wants to be a Saint.  Will see.

Seeing how the Cowboys fell off a cliff offensively with Dalton over Dak to me brings home if anything the power of a franchise QB.    Also brings home to take advantage of that rookie QB if you can.  Its not a lot of fun to be in QB purgatory. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Jameis can sling it. He is fairly low risk. You know you can open up the playbook and you just hope he has learned to limit mistakes and his vision is literally better. 

he’s still young and has a massive arm. If you can strike gold by reclaiming him with these defense? Could be the perfect fit.

also feel the Trubisky piece but just feel like Winston has shown he can at least make big plays. Fortunately none of those options will really hamstring the team from bringing in other talent on offense in the draft or FA 

• Like 2

The Dak deal is the smart deal, the idiotic deal was the Zeke deal. You do not give RB's a second contract, let other idiots make the mistake of signing a RB just in time for him to hit the age cliff (in fairness to Zeke, his decline in '20 on a per game basis was 1000% linked to Dak's injury, it would not surprise me if Zeke had a bit of a bounce back this year). Franchise QB money is gonna go nuts soon enough as the next tv deal may come close to doubling up the previous deal. That means everything goes up, including QB's. The best time to sign/resign a FA QB is now, before that money floods the market. Dallas aint winning anything with that D, so they built up a strength, the offense, which is loaded with 2 legit starting RB's, 2 legit TE's, and 3 legit WR's, and an OL, that when healthy is still good. They'll just have to use the KC model and try to outscore everyone before saving money by cutting Zeke in a year or two, and some other guys (Amari, I'm looking at you). 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

I don't think so. I'm going with the guy that no one is talking about and I personally think he'd be a great fit....Mitch Trubisky. 

I've been talking Trubisky for a long time also.  I think he's the closest thing to Heinicke and he was on fire at the end of the season.  

But I think he's going under the radar for a reason.  I believe he will have a ton of interest when FA begins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lovi said:

How in the world in a cap strapped season can they do 75M in one season?

66 of the 75 is the signing bonus which is prorated over length of the contract. 

Cowboys actually will save money on this years cap, which is lower then it would've been due to covid. 

Obviously Cowboys were going to pay Dak. Said it before, but its in any team's interest to save money this season and spend more later. The salary cap in the NFL does not go down. Only in this very specific year with the pandemic. Paying a massive cap hit in 2022/2023/2024 will be easier as the cap will increase. 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Jameis can sling it. He is fairly low risk. You know you can open up the playbook and you just hope he has learned to limit mistakes and his vision is literally better. 

he’s still young and has a massive arm. If you can strike gold by reclaiming him with these defense? Could be the perfect fit.

also feel the Trubisky piece but just feel like Winston has shown he can at least make big plays. Fortunately none of those options will really hamstring the team from bringing in other talent on offense in the draft or FA 

Guys who consistently throw nearly as many INTs as TDs are not "low risk". Most QBs who are turnover prone remain turnover prone.

And sorry but I'm just having a hard time buying the "oh, my eyesight is better now so I won't throw as many picks" theory.

47 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Where has that gotten Minnesota? Second, Dak is a better QB who doesn't have meltdowns.

lol yeah. Kirk went to Minny because they upended their wallet for him in the belief that he'd put them over the top and take them to the SB...and they ended up a worse team than they were before. Dak is better than Kirk and Dallas still ain't going to the SB with that defense.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

I would go with a young veteran QB. The two names that I think would be a good fit are:

1. Jameis Winston: If he could reduce the turnovers, he would be a great addition to the offense.

2. Mitch Trubisky: Granted, he's not Mahomes or Watson but he's not a total bust either. I think Trubisky could blossom with a change of scenery, like Ryan Tannehill.

Also, since both Winston and Trubisky are free agents, you don't have to trade any draft choices.

Man if we end up with Sam Darnold as our QB I am going to cry.

The start to this free agency has not been what I've hoped for. A second tag for Scherff, no deal for Darby. Obviously still extremely early but if we go for Sam Darnold on top of that my excitement for next year might reach an absolute low point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Man if we end up with Sam Darnold as our QB I am going to cry.

The start to this free agency has not been what I've hoped for. A second tag for Scherff, no deal for Darby. Obviously still extremely early but if we go for Sam Darnold on top of that my excitement for next year might reach an absolute low point.

free agency hasn’t started yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

free agency hasn’t started yet.

indeed, the latter part of the weekend should get interesting when the rumor mill ready  starts to kick in though.

re Darnold, very unpopular, but if we are going to pay Scherff 18mil and let that tag eat 35% of the available cap space we had, paying Darnold next to nothing on his final year and /or drafting a QB suddenly becomes the likely outcome. 

Can’t see us taking on a significant QB contract now, not without another corresponding move against the cap somehow anyway.