Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 minute ago, redskins4ever28 said:

Rivers is 39

stafford is 36, I believe.

and stafford (in my opinion) is head and shoulders above rivers. 

If I could choose then yes I would prefer Stafford over Rivers.  But if we have to trade a #1 for us to get Stafford over Rivers then I would prefer to Rivers + keeping #1 pick versus Stafford.

2 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

If I could choose then yes I would prefer Stafford over Rivers.  But if we have to trade a #1 for us to get Stafford over Rivers then I would prefer to Rivers + keeping #1 pick versus Stafford.

I’d easily trade a mid 1st round pick for Stafford in a heart beat, now knowing he’s 32.

go check out his stats. He’s thrown for over 5k yards in a season, 40+ tds and 4k yards multiple times. He’s a top 10 qb on a franchise that never ever gave him anything to work with except megatron

Edited by redskins4ever28
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sjinhan said:

As much as I love Schreff, he is going to cost a lot of money to keep him around as a guard but he can be replaced in the draft or FA.  Replacing someone like that via draft is much easier if we retain our picks in the top 1-3 rounds.

24 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Stafford turns 33 next year.  

How old does Alex turn next year despite many wanting him to start 16 games? 37.

We can get 2-3 seasons out of Stafford to buy time, he'd better a far better bridge then Alex.

Alex should retire, he might retire. Whoa if he does.

8 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I was thinking something like 20 to 3 or 4 pick . It’s at minimum two #1s and a lot added to it, maybe an additional two #2s??

If you asked me if I'd rather have Zach Wilson on a rookie contract at the cost of two 1sts and two 2nds, or Matthew Stafford and his contract for one 1st, I'm not sure the answer. 

44 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I wouldn't give up a 1st for Stafford. He throws a fair share of interceptions, has some injury history, and is 32. I would be fine if we gave up our 2nd round pick for him, we'd probably have a 3 year window for contention. 

Idk he actually isn’t that interception prone, and after the first couple years where he definitely was injury prone, he hadn’t missed that much time since. I thought he was much older, I’m still shocked he’s 32

51 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

If you asked me if I'd rather have Zach Wilson on a rookie contract at the cost of two 1sts and two 2nds, or Matthew Stafford and his contract for one 1st, I'm not sure the answer. 

That seems like an extremely high price for Wilson to me.

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I don’t think he gets past Denver in the second. Maybe first.

He's rising up boards but a lot of Bama QBs are overlooked because of the talent on the team.  Thus, hoping and thinking he falls to us with our 1st 3rd rounder from SF.  Hoping!  :)

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think an 8-10 win season would be a waste of this roster.   If this was the 2015-2018 roster i'd feel differently. 

Wow expectations have gotten out of hand around here :ols: only joking....

Someone mentioned Jacoby Brissett recently. that’s a good shout if Alex packs in. But I mean, Brissett got a 2 year 30mil deal then spent the second year sat on the bench behind Rivers on a one year 25mil deal. Insane money.

The salary cap may not really recover for 2 more years. Is a mega QB contract a wise investment? Is trading away a boat load of picks a wise move? 

Do we need a 7/10 QB to win. Do we need a 10/10 elite QB to win?

Do we chase that elite QB, meaning we have to dismantle the rest of the roster slowly over the next 2-3 to pay for it? Keep in mind the cap might not bounce back before 2022/3.

Feels to me like we need a way better than average vet QB in 2021, and we need to have a top prospect coming through in 2022 on that long term rookie contract. We then have cash to pay our existing studs.

The Chiefs got from #27 to #10 without much trouble. I think we need to convince Smith to stay on one more year, and make a move for Lance, maybe Wilson but I’m not convinced in him personally. Draft positioning for us clearly still to be determined.

Should be an interesting offseason.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jnhutchi3 said:

Guys that have something to prove.  Like Rosen or Mariotta. 

Rosen and Mariotta have proven that they are not starting NFL QBs, as have players like Bisette. I don't see what is accomplished by investing any time or money into a QB like this.  

I've always been a Matt Stafford fan, he got a terrible deal when he was drafted by the Detroit Lions. He is going to be 33, the same age Alex was when Washington traded for him.  But it will cost at least a 1 and I'm not for that.  As I said the options on the list of vets is really not much better than just rolling with Kyle Allen, then they draft a QB to develop. 

I fully expect that Alex wants to return so he will probably be the starter.  And yes after the inevitable playoff loss fans will realize that an old QB with no mobility is very very limiting. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Wow expectations have gotten out of hand around here :ols: only joking....

Someone mentioned Jacoby Brissett recently. that’s a good shout if Alex packs in. But I mean, Brissett got a 2 year 30mil deal then spent the second year sat on the bench behind Rivers on a one year 25mil deal. Insane money.

The salary cap may not really recover for 2 more years. Is a mega QB contract a wise investment? Is trading away a boat load of picks a wise move? 

Do we need a 7/10 QB to win. Do we need a 10/10 elite QB to win?

Do we chase that elite QB, meaning we have to dismantle the rest of the roster slowly over the next 2-3 to pay for it? Keep in mind the cap might not bounce back before 2022/3.

Feels to me like we need a way better than average vet QB in 2021, and we need to have a top prospect coming through in 2022 on that long term rookie contract. We then have cash to pay our existing studs.

The Chiefs got from #27 to #10 without much trouble. I think we need to convince Smith to stay on one more year, and make a move for Lance, maybe Wilson but I’m not convinced in him personally. Draft positioning for us clearly still to be determined.

Should be an interesting offseason.

I think just a good QB is all we need.  Stafford to me fits that but not sure about his health and the price to obtain him.   Reading-listening to what I've could about him there is a chance he becomes available but its far from slam dunk -- it sounds like the wildcard is the new staff/coach/GM and whether they want a total rebuild or want to retool quickly. 

None of the FA possibilities intrigue me even a little.   I see some debate on Dak but I think zero chance he hits the market.  It would be a PR disaster for Dallas.  Look at their team without Dak right now?  They are going to try to convince people they are better off without him -- let alone play against them 2 times a season in the NFC East.  It would be one of the more wild things that has ever happened in a division. 

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

Why do I have this feeling that Mac Jones from Alabama is drafted by us in the 3rd round in 2021?

I am cool with Jones but it would be a roll of the dice type of pick, he's my favorite though of the roll of the dice guys after Lance.  I have some doubts though he falls to the late 2nd (assuming that's where we pick) let alone late 3rd round.   Wouldn't shock me if he went in the first. 

8 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I wouldn't give up a 1st for Stafford. He throws a fair share of interceptions, has some injury history, and is 32. I would be fine if we gave up our 2nd round pick for him, we'd probably have a 3 year window for contention. 

A third and Kendall Fuller for Stafford?  😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 4

Rivers...That’s a really hard no from me. I’d prefer Kyle Allen over him. His ball placement is iffy, he looks really uncomfortable at times and his arm isn’t as live as it used to be. 

If we’re taking a gamble on a Colt QB I’d rather it be Brissett and I don’t want him, either.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Rosen and Mariotta have proven that they are not starting NFL QBs, as have players like Bisette. I don't see what is accomplished by investing any time or money into a QB like this.  

I've always been a Matt Stafford fan, he got a terrible deal when he was drafted by the Detroit Lions. He is going to be 33, the same age Alex was when Washington traded for him.  But it will cost at least a 1 and I'm not for that.  As I said the options on the list of vets is really not much better than just rolling with Kyle Allen, then they draft a QB to develop. 

I fully expect that Alex wants to return so he will probably be the starter.  And yes after the inevitable playoff loss fans will realize that an old QB with no mobility is very very limiting. 

Yeah, people said the same thing about Jim Plunkett, and then he won two Super Bowls with the Raiders.

Rosen has had like 5 different coaches in the 3 years that he has been in the league.  I don't feel that he has been given a fair shot and it's ridiculous to say with certainty that he is done.  I would much rather take a shot with a young guy that you can get dirt cheap like Rosen than someone like Stafford, who is going to cost a fortune and who's best years are probably behind him.  I would rather try to stick it out with Smith for a couple of more years.

9 hours ago, redskins4ever28 said:

Idk he actually isn’t that interception prone, and after the first couple years where he definitely was injury prone, he hadn’t missed that much time since. I thought he was much older, I’m still shocked he’s 32

Yeah he is younger than Cousins... i remember the shock of finding that out when Cousins was still on our team.  Stafford came into the league really young.

15 hours ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

Kyle Allen is the best QB currently on the roster. Change my mind.

Allen: Passing Rating 99.3 TDs: 4 INTs: 1

Haskins: Passing Rating 79.4 TDs: 4 INTs: 3

Smith: Passing Rating 79.0 TDs: 4 INTs: 6

And this does not even include the mobility upgrade with Kyle Allen.  To believe Alex Smith will strengthen his rebuilt leg and become more mobile at age 37 is nonsense, he will never be mobile again. 

Someone mentioned the WFT's window for winning big is 3-4 years with all the young contracts that will expire. How bizarre is it that in 2020 we are discussing a window for competing for a title?  But it's totally true.  

1 hour ago, jnhutchi3 said:

Yeah, people said the same thing about Jim Plunkett, and then he won two Super Bowls with the Raiders.

Rosen has had like 5 different coaches in the 3 years that he has been in the league.  I don't feel that he has been given a fair shot and it's ridiculous to say with certainty that he is done.  I would much rather take a shot with a young guy that you can get dirt cheap like Rosen than someone like Stafford, who is going to cost a fortune and who's best years are probably behind him.  I would rather try to stick it out with Smith for a couple of more years.

Plunkett in NE was not nearly the bust that Rosen has shown to be.  He was traded from New England at a price of another QB, 3 firsts and a second if you can believe that.  Teams, even stupid teams, don't give up that much for a player who was an obvious bust. 

But even if we use Plunket, who was in an equally crappy situation in NE and was much more productive than Rosen has been, that is one example from 2 generations ago. For every Plunket there are hundreds Heath Shulers.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan