Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Just now, JSSkinz said:

I think he has plenty of arm strength, I've never seen him attempt a throw and get the feeling he had the arm of a Colt McCoy or Kyle Trask.

He's a definitely a journeyman, he got the big contract with Buffalo years back and he had his chance to earn the job in Tampa and he blew both opportunities due to turnovers but I like the way he's been more secure with the ball this year, he's playing smarter.  

Lets hope we find a better solution but if it comes down to the scrub QB's of the league I think I like him best.

Dalton hasn't been horrible honestly.  He's got a trash o-line with all the injuries, and has suffered from dropsies from their WRs.  He's still got a good arm.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, method man said:

Yep. That would be one landing spot for Dwayne, either to sit behind Stafford and develop for a couple more years (as Stafford's contract expires at the end of 2022) or compete for the starting gig if they do move Stafford. Perfect trade would be something like Stafford for a 3rd + Dwayne

That would mean we’re paying QBs 60 million next year.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/domonique-foxworth-believes-washingtons-super-bowl-window-opens-2021

ESPN host Mike Greenberg agreed with Foxworth's designation, likening Washington to the San Francisco 49ers. That team rode young talent and a good defense to a Super Bowl appearance just a year after being 4-12 earlier in the decade. 

However, Greenberg did have one question. While Foxworth may not look at the quarterback as the most important piece in Washington's puzzle, the team will still need a serviceable option under center. Who could it be?

“In my imagination, they’re going to have to go get a veteran," Foxworth said.

There was no specification as to who that veteran could be, but Foxworth made it clear it's not Alex Smtih or Dwayne Haskins. He is impressed with what Smith has done following the injury and praised his resilience, but the ceiling with him under center isn't high enough. As for Haskins, Foxworth can see him being labeled as a "bust" at this point in his career. Both, to Foxworth, are holding back McLaurin's ability to be the best receiver in football.

So, Washington does need to make a change at quarterback. However, it doesn't exactly need to be pricey or flashy.

“They don’t have the quarterback in the building right now," Foxworth said. "They’re going to need an upgrade there, but I don’t believe they need an elite guy.”

That is due to what Washington will have around that quarterback. WIth stars on the roster at a good value, the team has the makeup and financial situation to build a championship roster in a short time. 

“To make some key additions next year in the draft and free agency, they should be Super Bowl contenders within the contract of Chase Young in particular," Foxworth said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't mean this with a whit of sarcasm but is there anyone on the planet more in love with Haskins than Riddick?  If he lands there we should get a pick for Haskins and maybe there would be a greater shot for Stafford to be moved.  

That would force him to put his money where his mouth is.  If he all the sudden wasn't interested, that would be telling.

46 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I think he has plenty of arm strength, I've never seen him attempt a throw and get the feeling he had the arm of a Colt McCoy or Kyle Trask.

He's a definitely a journeyman, he got the big contract with Buffalo years back and he had his chance to earn the job in Tampa and he blew both opportunities due to turnovers but I like the way he's been more secure with the ball this year, he's playing smarter.  

Lets hope we find a better solution but if it comes down to the scrub QB's of the league I think I like him best.

Just addressing the rocket arm strength comment that's all.   The arm strength is sort of what he's goofed on about here and there.  That and turnovers.  I know it just because i live in Dolphins territory so I am very familiar with the narrative around Fitzpatrick.

I don't know personally if I'd be jazzed to have Fitzpatrick, i wouldn't hate it either.  He's very streaky -- hot and cold.  Teammates though tend to love him.  if they made the playoffs he might relish the chance since he's never played in the playoffs once throughout his long career.  

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ryan-fitzpatricks-arm-strength-isnt-ideal-i-max-out-at-30-yards

Dolphins quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick watched a bit of the Saints' Monday Night Football loss to Las Vegas.

And he knows all about quarterbacks who allegedly don't have enough arm to get it done at the NFL level.

"I think a lot of that stuff gets overrated," Fitzpatrick said. "Especially as guys get older."

Fitzpatrick is 37 years old and has played in the NFL for 16 years.

Brees is 41 years old and has played in the NFL for 20 years.

Though Fitzpatrick has had a notable NFL career, he's clearly not on the Hall of Fame track Brees is. But one thing that has been questioned about each guy over the years is arm strength.

"The system that they're in is so much about rhythm and getting it out," Fitzpatrick said of the Saints. "And getting it to their guys in space. So I think a lot of times too much can be made about that. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I have no idea how to get Wentz, but not against it.  Eagles may do something stupid if they serious about rolling with Hurts.

How many times do we have trade with Philly? They would get the better end on any trade.

Wentz should be traded to Indy. He had his best year when Reich was the Eagles OC.

Edited by Rdskns2000

I just rewatched Washington vs. San Francisco. Hot take. Alex Smith was terrible. Worse than Dwayne Haskins. Dwayne missing a wide open McLaurin for the almost-INT was bad. But Alex Smith DID throw an actual INT. And was generally missing open receivers and not pushing the ball down the field. Smith was 8-19 for 57 yards, 1 sack and one INT. Dwayne was 7/12 for 51 yards and 1 sack.

In any case, my point isn't that Dwayne gives us as good a chance to win. It is that neither QB is good enough if we want to go past the 1st round. We have to upgrade the position. Trade up for an elite QB prospect. Trade for a veteran. Sign Dak. But, do something. Don't roll with Alex and draft a 2nd round QB. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

What about packaging up some combination of the assets we can afford to lose (Matt L , Collins, Haskins) along with a 3rd to move up to the 7-10 range?

0 faith in Team's ability to pick a QB at the top. Hell, Trevor Lawrence would probably be a bust if we had that pick.

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I just rewatched Washington vs. San Francisco. Hot take. Alex Smith was terrible. Worse than Dwayne Haskins. Dwayne missing a wide open McLaurin for the almost-INT was bad. But Alex Smith DID throw an actual INT. And was generally missing open receivers and not pushing the ball down the field. Smith was 8-19 for 57 yards, 1 sack and one INT. Dwayne was 7/12 for 51 yards and 1 sack.

In any case, my point isn't that Dwayne gives us as good a chance to win. It is that neither QB is good enough if we want to go past the 1st round. We have to upgrade the position. Trade up for an elite QB prospect. Trade for a veteran. Sign Dak. But, do something. Don't roll with Alex and draft a 2nd round QB. 

Haskins misses a WIDE OPEN Steven Sims for an easy TD on 3rd and goal (where he stared down Terry the whole play).  Alex was clearly hurt.  Alex still makes that td to Steven Sims.

Check out 6:35

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yep Rivera is going to be all in to win in 2021. Couple of major FA signings and either Smith or a veteran QB in charge next season, not risking this scenario with a rookie QB.

I know your top theory is a veteran QB and I agree in concept it makes all the sense in the world in theory.  But what if the off season is like the typical one where a really good veteran QB isn't available?

This isn't me trying to be a contrarian.  It's just looking at the specific situations.  I'd say 1% chance if that for Wentz to hit FA.   I'd guess maybe 25% chance or so Stafford is available in a trade.  Maybe 5% chance Ryan give or take he's available.  All for reasons i've explained about their contracts and what some reporters who covered them have said.

If I had to guess it now it will be a trade for Darnold or signing Fitzgerald or Brissett or Winston.  Maybe some small chance Rivers leaves though in his shoes i'd want to stay in Indy with their killer D line.   None of that stuff hits me as exciting. 

18 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Haskins misses a WIDE OPEN Steven Sims for an easy TD on 3rd and goal (where he stared down Terry the whole play).  Alex was clearly hurt.  Alex still makes that td to Steven Sims.

You don't have to convince me that Haskins sucks. Alex just also isn't that good. We need an upgrade. I don't think that's controversial. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know your top theory is a veteran QB and I agree in concept it makes all the sense in the world in theory.  But what if the off season is like the typical one where a really good veteran QB isn't available?

I agree on the vet QB availability thing, I reckon that is likely to be 2022 more than this upcoming season.

Honestly, my top theory is that Rivera wants Smith back, insurance policy Allen to do spot duty when Smith is dinged up, and draft Lance, I think he would want Lance for 2022/3 onwards.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This isn't me trying to be a contrarian.  It's just looking at the specific situations.  I'd say 1% chance if that for Wentz to hit FA.   I'd guess maybe 25% chance or so Stafford is available in a trade.  Maybe 5% chance Ryan give or take he's available.  All for reasons i've explained about their contracts and what some reporters who covered them have said.

If I had to guess it now it will be a trade for Darnold or signing Fitzgerald or Brissett or Winston.  Maybe some small chance Rivers leaves though in his shoes i'd want to stay in Indy with their killer D line.   None of that stuff hits me as exciting. 

You're leaving Dak off that list. And RIvers. Is RIvers better than Alex?

If I'm Dallas, I resign Dak and invest heavily in defense in the draft. But the Cowboys already seem to have been bungling the Dak contract. It looks like they didn't learn from us and Cousins. I'd honestly offer Dallas our 1st for Dak. Imagine how much better this offense would look if we trade for Dak and sign Allen Robinson. 

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I agree on the vet QB availability thing, I reckon that is likely to be 2022 more than this upcoming season.

Honestly, my top theory is that Rivera wants Smith back, insurance policy Allen to do sport duty when Smith is dinged up, and draft Lance, I think he would want Lance for 2022/3 onwards.

I don't know if its specifically Lance but I agree with the general point.

Actually what got me thinking they won't go the veteran route is ironically you stressing that its the veteran trek that makes the most sense.  I agreed with the point conceptually but then I started thinking about specifics and reading what I can about what's available and I came to the conclusion that they are unlikely to go with a veteran.

So I bet we keep reading about how a win now veteran is the top desire.  But heck many teams would love a win now above average veteran QB but good luck finding those dudes.   It's possible that we get a surprise veteran on the market but right now I wouldn't bet on it.  I think if they want to get in the QB game in 2021 they just about have to do it with a rookie QB. 

Is for example Ryan Fitzpatrick that obviously better than Alex or Kyle Allen? 

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

You're leaving Dak off that list. And RIvers. Is RIvers better than Alex?

If I'm Dallas, I resign Dak and invest heavily in defense in the draft. But the Cowboys already seem to have been bungling the Dak contract. It looks like they didn't learn from us and Cousins. I'd honestly offer Dallas our 1st for Dak. Imagine how much better this offense would look if we trade for Dak and sign Allen Robinson. 

I think there is a better shot that i am the QB next year for Washington versus Dak Prescott.  I did mention Rivers.