Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

It was even worse than Locker. He said that about Jimmy Claussen.

https://www.12up.com/posts/5-times-mel-kiper-jr-was-embarrassingly-wrong-nfl-draft-prospects-01e55agph5hr

15 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Next guy that comps Mac Jones anyone to Tom Brady should get the Sonny Corleone treatment.

FTFY

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

How'd it work out for us playing hardball with Trent?  Now multiply it by whatever degree QB is more valuable than LT.

Watson will get dealt prior to the season if he holds firm.

That doesn’t mean anything. We didn’t move Trent because Bruce and Dan wanted to stick it to Trent.

If Watson hadn’t signed that extension last year; Houston probably would be more flexible. Houston doesn’t care about the bounty they could get; they don’t want to move him.

They are willing to play hardball; they same way Dan & Bruce did in 2019 with Trent. It’s irrational but Houston wouldn’t be in this situation; if they were rational.

If a Watson trade does happen, I don’t think it means that team necessarily wins right away. Unless you’re a team that’s ready to win now, like a San Francisco or New Orleans; you got a while before you win. You will need time surround Watson with good players; which will take longer since you gave up so many assets to get him.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

I pay zero attention to ESPN's pre-draft coverage...or much of their coverage at all. They're all hype, bombast, and hyperbole.

They’re in the selling hope business. Sometimes, that’s enough 😂

Just now, Die Hard said:

They’re in the selling hope business. Sometimes, that’s enough 😂

Scream into the camera and say the most ridiculous thing the loudest business. If someone gets hope from that, it's an unintended side effect!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Scream into the camera and say the most ridiculous thing the loudest business. If someone gets hope from that, it's an unintended side effect!

That’s not what I interpreted to be hype, hyperbole and bombast.

That’s not my thing either.... but I’m aware that there’s a WWE element in the NFL viewership. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

WWE element in the NFL viewership.

Its funny listening to radio hosts complain that Nats and Caps fans don't call in. There's a reason for that--the NFL fans that call into shows are from this WWE element. And holy crap are they dumb.

Just now, gooseneck said:

I hear Alex Smith is going to be available soon.  Should we sign him?

V

M

+

I

• Haha 1

I wanna say sports media is stupid t im not sure what that would say about me consuming it. 

But Im surprised the Smith thing is being taken negatively at all. We stuck by this guy and what remained of his legs for years and now all of a sudden the WTF was supposed to keep him until he retired? Everyone counted us out last season because we had one of the worst QB situations in the game and we are supposed to continue that trend? Just silly to me. I get Smith being upset and using it as motivation. But people should understand the business perspective too. Its not hard to understand. 

Listening to Finlay, to paraphrase what he said it was more or less he hears:

A.  The team doesn't want to give up big draft capital for anyone

B.  they aren't feeling chill at QB, they believe they got the defense to compete now

Between Keim and Finlay and some others the impression I get is they aren't in the camp that the QB spot is overrated and they can win one with a game manager.  But they aren't willing to sell out the farm to get one.   My guess is there is something to Keim saying multiple times they might trade down and build 2022 trade capital.  So i am guessing they get a band aid for now.   In the draft they see if something surprisingly happens before their pick ala lets say Fields drops and they can trade up without giving up the farm -- and if that doesn't happen they try to trade back and build trade capital for 2022.

My guess is 2022 trade capital would be for a veteran not for that draft.  That draft isn't looking hot at Qb and even if a Burrow type emerges out of nowhere I doubt they'd be picking high enough to get that player.

Edit:  Finlay said they are willing to trade picks but nothing crazy. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  The team doesn't want to give up big draft captial for anyone

B.  they aren't feeling chill at QB, they believe they got the defense to compete now

Between Keim and Finlay and some others the impression I get is they aren't in the camp that the QB spot is overrated and they can win one with a game manager.  But they aren't willing to sell out the farm to get one.   My guess is there is something to Keim saying multiple times they might trade down and build 2022 trade capital.  So i am guessing they get a band aid for now.   In the draft they see if something surprisingly happens before their pick ala lets say Fields drops and they can trade up without giving up the farm -- and if that doesn't happen they try to trade back and build trade capital for 2022.

My guess is 2022 trade capital would be for a veteran not for that draft.  That draft isn't looking hot at Qb and even if a Burrow type emerges out of nowhere I doubt they'd be picking high enough to get that player.

This is interesting. I wonder how they feel about the QBs in the draft. We've heard rumors of Lance and Fields and the mocs have us getting Jones, but there's little on Newman and Mond. I'd think that these two are more like the Fields and Lance QBs that we may be targeting early in the draft (but unwilling to give up draft capital). Also, considering Cam Newton, Kyle Allen and Heinicke are all mobile QBs who looked good with Ron, I'd think that the offense looks better under those type of QBs. I'm going to look up to see when their pro days are to see if maybe we can hear something about Turner attending or something. 

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/2021-NFL-Draft-Pro-Day-schedule-dates-160125589/#160125589_2

Looks like Georgia will have theirs on March 17th at 7:45 am, but I don't see Newman on the list of participants. 

Looks like Trey Lance has a pro day on March 12

Mac Jones has one on March 23

Zach Wilson - March 26th

Justin Fields - March 30

Kellen Mond - March 30

Kyle Trask - March 31

Ian Book - March 31

Maybe we can learn more from who shows up to these events. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  The team doesn't want to give up big draft captial for anyone

It is all a guessing game with RR, Mayhew and Hurney, really RR with the NFL beat reporters as it is his call.  They have a plan.  All news is being kept from the public for the most part.   An interesting FA coming up and draft too.  :)

Edited by RWJ

Ran into a guy I know from the gym who's a huge Steelers fan and I razzed him about his new QB...Dwayne Haskins. He then turned the conversation over the WFT saying how excited he is to see Taylor Heinicke get a shot. Turns out he went to Old Dominion and just raved about how good Heiny was in college; his competitiveness, field vision, passing, running...etc. He seems to think Heinicke is long overdue to show he can play. Take that for what it's worth as others on this site feel the same way. Heiny must have been pretty fun to watch in college. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Ran into a guy I know from the gym who's a huge Steelers fan and I razzed him about his new QB...Dwayne Haskins. He then turned the conversation over the WFT saying how excited he is to see Taylor Heinicke get a shot. Turns out he went to Old Dominion and just raved about how good Heiny was in college; his competitiveness, field vision, passing, running...etc. He seems to think Heinicke is long overdue to show he can play. Take that for what it's worth as others on this site feel the same way. Heiny must have been pretty fun to watch in college. 

Did you see the video from Carolina fans upset because he was cut for being TOO GOOD? 

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I dearly miss when tv was less about screaming or opinions and more about stating actual news. I have no desire to watch any pre-game shows but its more style over substance and that sucks. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IF a 2nd round pick for Trask looking at his film from past seasons, etc. having let's say Fitzpatrick or Taylor as a 1/2 year deal while he grows and TH on the team too, tell me why not?  Just curious, SIP.  :)  Also, we may trade down in the 1st and pick up an extra pick or two using our traded down pick on a  LOT or WR.  

Edited by RWJ

the more I think about it the less I like the idea of Newman or Mond in the 2nd or 3rd. 

We talk about busts in the first round but the percentage of busts in the 2nd or 3rd round is beyond insane.   The draft looks loaded at offensive play makers at that range of the draft so not sure i love the idea of picking a dude who has about a 90% chance of busting versus a guy like an Elijah Moore, Michael Carter, Brevin Jordan, etc. 

I like some of Mond and Newman's game but would I bet that they become the unicorn that Russell Wilson was?  Nope.   

• Like 3