Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

58 minutes ago, Conn said:

But in terms of crippling a team’s competitiveness under a salary cap system, nah. The way guarantees interact with the salary cap rules would all just change. Those rules weren’t handed down by god lol, they were made up. 

The rules weren't handed down by god, they were handed down by 32 gods. The gods are not going to want to shell out guaranteed money for what they already get, and I don't think there's any precedent to say that because 1 team was insane enough to give fully guaranteed money, every other team must be "colluding" for not making an equally disastrous contract. The Browns flushed more than half their first season of guaranteed money down the toilet for a predator. It's only natural that any individual team would look at that and not rush to repeat it.

Besides the grounds of any lawsuit about collusion, looking at how our poor OL returns have been strongly hinted at for being a side effect of Snyder being cash poor, I think it can easily be argued that making teams have to pony up more cash to be competitive would be crippling to teams that are already scraping by.

Edited by NickyJ

16 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

The rules weren't handed down by god, they were handed down by 32 gods. The gods are not going to want to shell out guaranteed money for what they already get, and I don't think there's any precedent to say that because 1 team was insane enough to give fully guaranteed money, every other team must be "colluding" for not making an equally disastrous contract. The Browns flushed more than half their first season of guaranteed money down the toilet for a predator. It's only natural that any individual team would look at that and not rush to repeat it.

Besides the grounds of any lawsuit about collusion, looking at how our poor OL returns have been strongly hinted at for being a side effect of Snyder being cash poor, I think it can easily be argued that making teams have to pony up more cash to be competitive would be crippling to teams that are already scraping by.

I wasn’t talking about the lawsuit, not interested in discussing its merits. Was purely responding to your idea that if fully guaranteed contracts were to ever become required across the board, teams would be screwed under the current salary cap. The reality is that if the landscape changed so much that this happened, how the salary cap works, and how releasing guaranteed contracts off the books interacts with the made up salary cap rules, would also change. The actual cash paid out to players would become guaranteee. How the magic salary cap accounting rules would be changed to accommodate that is unknown. But clearly things wouldn’t just stay the same—it would be a monumental restructuring of how the cap works for the  entire league.

And yeah, for that reason it likely never happens. Not really interested in that part of the discussion lol. 

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I think Russell Wilson's almost-as-ridiculous contract may have done more than Watson's contract to make teams shy away from large guarantees. 

With Watson, you could claim that it was just the Browns being the Browns and doing something epically dumb. However, Wilson being guaranteed $165 million to not take the Broncos anywhere is a serious warning signal. The Broncos are stuck with him and that contract for three years while it eats away their cap, and he's completely untradeable now.

I'm willing to buy the notion that what's going on is NOT collusion but also that the absence of large multiyear guarantees apart from those two could be taken as circumstantial evidence.

It might also be signs of a return to sanity from the "cult of the quarterback." It's better for the league as a whole if more than just the 3-4 teams with elite HOF-type QBs are in the hunt for a Super Bowl.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Too paranoid to start a new thread but haven't seen this posted anywhere else:

https://www.commanders.com/news/washington-commanders-to-reveal-sean-taylor-memorial-installation

Sean Taylor permanent "instillation". Statue, maybe?

Yeah, JP Finlay tweeted earlier today it’ll be a statue. Unveiling is happening Sunday at 11:45 AM outside of section 132 at the East Endzone on the main concourse (for those that are attending the game and want to be there for that)

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Too paranoid to start a new thread but haven't seen this posted anywhere else:

https://www.commanders.com/news/washington-commanders-to-reveal-sean-taylor-memorial-installation

Sean Taylor permanent "instillation". Statue, maybe?

Are they going to install statues of the porta-potties in the background too?

• Haha 2

I see they will be offering special Sean Taylor merch.  I assume they aren’t dumb enough at this point, after they fumbled this last year, to sell for profit items but I can’t put it past them.

At what point, do they let the guy rest in peace and quit slapping 21- Taylor on Commanders gear?

Of course my son, who doesn’t recognize the issue with it - wants that black Taylor Commanders jersey for Christmas.  If he gets one, it will be Jon Allen instead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Conn said:

Every team playing under the same rules would just mean that the salary cap is maneuvered differently—and it would have to be higher. 

I agree with a lot of what you said, but not this.   There are calculations that go into these deals that teams know will never be paid, this would become part of the new math.

I think any fully guaranteed deals would be slightly higher than the amount currently guaranteed.   With maybe a few high profile guys being the exception.   

Further, it would likely add all kinds of options/opt-outs like baseball.  Maybe more incentive based items.

Picked Fuller as an example.  Signed 4/40 with 23.5 guaranteed.  Cutting him year 2 would have cost cap.  After year 3 he will have earned 31.5mill.  I could see a team offering 3/27-30ish with a 4th year option that is 10-12mill.  Guaranteed money is higher at signing, but team cap cost nearly the same  after 3 years.  Players still get more guaranteed at signing. But im not convinced they would truly get much more over time.  I think for many players that's all fully guaranteed would change, not necessarily overall cap. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-commanders/kendall-fuller-19038/#:~:text=Current Contract,average annual salary of %2410%2C000%2C000.

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

At what point, do they let the guy rest in peace and quit slapping 21- Taylor on Commanders gear?

I am reaching that point too. Every year they do something, usually poorly. It's become a marketing schtick and is starting to tarnish his legacy, really.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I see they will be offering special Sean Taylor merch.  I assume they aren’t dumb enough at this point, after they fumbled this last year, to sell for profit items but I can’t put it past them.

Of course my son, who doesn’t recognize the issue with it - wants that black Taylor Commanders jersey for Christmas.  If he gets one, it will be Jon Allen instead.

I agree. I don't get the continued revisiting of Sean Taylor. Of course, it was a tragedy. And, of course, he should hold a certain place in team history. But, that place should be a footnote. Elevating him to some sort of deity has always been bizarre to me. It was fine in the immediate aftermath of the murder since his coaches and teammates were here and deeply impacted. 

But, we aren't talking about someone who was a long-time Redskin (3.5 years) or who played during a particularly impactful era in team history. Every argument that he is an all-time great (though somewhat valid) requires significant projection and caveats. 

I think the organization has already done plenty to honor his memory and all the additional things come off as exploitative. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Seriously? 

According to the Deadspin article, they did pull it from their website pretty quickly, so maybe they have some surplus lying around that they can hand out with some sham-wows that have have 21 printed on them.

Edited by NickyJ

I think you’ll see the new owner move away from the awkward, exploitative ST21 stuff. Snyder was here for that and (wrongly) feels ownership over the rights to that tragedy. Someone new without the connection will lay it all to rest imo. Even if they didn't want to for whatever reason, it'll be too sticky a subject for someone new to step into. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You can tell him they spelled Taylor's name wrong. And got his number wrong. Give 'em the full Commanders branding experience.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t know if he thought better of it or what, but literally texted me while I was playing golf to say “hope you didn’t get the Taylor jersey, he never played for the Commanders, I want Allen or Dotson”.

Phew. Happy dad.

My response, if I were you, would’ve been: “sure, he didn’t play under the name Commanders, but he did play for the Washington franchise that the name Commanders is under” :) 

an Allen or Dotson jersey would be pretty cool though. That gives me an idea of what I want for Christmas!

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

My response, if I were you, would’ve been: “sure, he didn’t play under the name Commanders, but he did play for the Washington franchise that the name Commanders is under” :) 

an Allen or Dotson jersey would be pretty cool though. That gives me an idea of what I want for Christmas!

I never intended to buy the Taylor jersey anyways, so I’m not going to talk him into buying wanting it.

That Taylor jersey pretty much encompasses everything that’s wrong with this franchise.

I recall many years back, proceeds of ST merch going to his foundation, or daughters college fund, something of that nature.  I’d be interested to know if that still exists, whatever happened to it, and what they intend to do with the money from all the new stuff.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I never intended to buy the Taylor jersey anyways, so I’m not going to talk him into buying wanting it.

That Taylor jersey pretty much encompasses everything that’s wrong with this franchise.

I recall many years back, proceeds of ST merch going to his foundation, or daughters college fund, something of that nature.  I’d be interested to know if that still exists, whatever happened to it, and what they intend to do with the money from all the new stuff.

From a press release on Tuesday, proceeds from the merchandise launch will benefit gun violence initiatives. 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yacht fuel is expensive.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Come on man, how do you literally have the maximum wrong response to anything you quote? It’s uncanny. I could spend all day trying to think up unintentionally funny misreadings of peoples’ posts to troll with and not approach your skill level. The entire context of his post is that he was never going to buy his kid a Commanders ST21 jersey and he laid out his reasons why thoroughly, and then you come in having a totally different conversation. 

What I want for Xmas is a bottle of whatever you sip on while you post here. Because that **** has to be sublime. 

Edited by Conn
  • Haha 7