Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I would think just just getting put up for a vote to be removed as owner, would be embarrassing enough for most.  To the extent they would try to work something out that makes them as rich as they can possibly be via the sale while negotiating a message that they weren't forced out, but are gracefully bowing out due to public scrutiny under the guise of "I love this team too much to let the false accusations and misrepresentation of me be a hinderance to it".

But unfortunately, we've got one of the most petty and vindictive narcissists in Dan Snyder as our owner, so he'd never do that.  Everything is personal with him

We are going to need those 20+ votes and the only thing that moves the needle there is for the WaPo, media, congress, and anyone he's ever done wrong to keep pressing on and never relent.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The only way owners turn against Dan is it affects their wallets. Sponsors put pressure on the NFL. I don't see that happening. 

Who's going to fill their wallet better Bezos / Brady, or Snyder ?

They've got all the things they need to oust him and to stop drawing very negative attention. Maybe someday the sponsors will chime in against him (wishful thinking). Ultimately, time will tell.

Edited by FrFan

22 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This is a really good point. I can see them choosing this fight over the Flores fight. That has no winner. They can get a win tossing danny and probably sweep the Brian Flores issue under, or at least try really hard. Pretty disgusting, but would not put it past them. 

If they use the genderism (is that a word?) to oust Dan and Watson faces charges, that's a great way for them to get in front of it all. "We don't condone that behavior against women and we are now launching an independent investigation into the Flores stuff, because equality is important to us" and then the old boys club can continue as is, while looking like the great guy club.

• Thumb up 1

The more this goes on,  the more it seems to have dawned on me that the NFL probably has also wanted to get rid of Snyder a long time ago,  but their biggest fear is that Dan will go all Scorched earth against them if they removed him as owner.  The NFL has been trying to find a way to get rid of Snyder AND keep their public reputation intact simultaneously.  This is the challenge and the conundrum of the situation.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

The more this goes on,  the more it seems to have dawned on me that the NFL probably has also wanted to get rid of Snyder a long time ago,  but their biggest fear is that Dan will go all Scorched earth against them if they removed him as owner.  The NFL has been trying to find a way to get rid of Snyder AND keep their public reputation intact simultaneously.  This is the challenge and the conundrum of the situation.  

Very true, but it looks like the ship is on fire anyway. Canning Dan and pinning a lot of this type of thing on him, including Flores type stuff, shows they care and want to change that narrative. 

• Like 1

i refuse to get my hopes up but the NFL's statement does change things.  While I agree this story is being overshadowed by the Super Bowl that ends on Sunday and this story is not going away, in fact it's gaining traction.  My biggest hope is there is obviously some really damaging things in that report to make Snyder behave as he has. This is probably not a Nothingburger.   And Congress is pretty invested in getting that report out and I don't believe that will take until  January '23 when the GOP most likely takes the House.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

5 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

This I agree with. Its long been rumored NFL is not happy about situation in Washington. NFL wants Washington to be a premier franchise. Washington is between 7th and 9th largest media market in the country depending on where you look and 3rd largest on east coast. NFL wants this to be big market. Lafemina was forced on Dan when he still had power. Jason having read and heard somethings was forced on Dan and Dan was told to sit down and shut up and he didnt have much choice due to sexual harassment stuff. Ive heard several people say that them granting him 100% ownership actually makes it easy to push him out. The league im sure sees how much of an embarrassment fed ex and how much trouble is having with the stadium. id be willing to bet league wants a new stadium in washington as well. Especially after fed ex just got passed up by FIFA for the World Cup. All this new momentum for the new stadium you think its because of Jason or Dan? If I had to guess its not because of Dan. You tie that into all the scandals and sexual harassment stuff and the fact that the idiot keeps causing it to come back up id be willing to bet NFL is real close to done.

14 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

This I agree with. Its long been rumored NFL is not happy about situation in Washington. NFL wants Washington to be a premier franchise. Washington is between 7th and 9th largest media market in the country depending on where you look and 3rd largest on east coast. NFL wants this to be big market. Lafemina was forced on Dan when he still had power. Jason having read and heard somethings was forced on Dan and Dan was told to sit down and shut up and he didnt have much choice due to sexual harassment stuff. Ive heard several people say that them granting him 100% ownership actually makes it easy to push him out. The league im sure sees how much of an embarrassment fed ex and how much trouble is having with the stadium. id be willing to bet league wants a new stadium in washington as well. Especially after fed ex just got passed up by FIFA for the World Cup. All this new momentum for the new stadium you think its because of Jason or Dan? If I had to guess its not because of Dan. You tie that into all the scandals and sexual harassment stuff and the fact that the idiot keeps causing it to come back up id be willing to bet NFL is real close to done.

I think the league had it with him buy needed him to change the redskins name before they could get rid of him. They could get rid of him once the name changed.

If Bezos really wants this team he will get it. I imagine he would put the stadium in downtown dc.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But unfortunately, we've got one of the most petty and vindictive narcissists in Dan Snyder as our owner, so he'd never do that.  Everything is personal with him

One has to start to wonder if at some point Dan gets in his car, drives off and the breaks don't work.  Or Redskin one has an unexplained problem after take off.  Or if he goes for a late night walk on Lady S and is never seen again.  Im not wishing death on him, just wondering how likely it would be for one of the most disliked individuals in this country.

Ive probably been watching to much Yellowstone.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think the league had it with him buy needed him to change the redskins name before they could get rid of him. They could get rid of him once the name changed.

If Bezos really wants this team he will get it. I imagine he would put the stadium in downtown dc.

Everyone says bezos but Denver is currently for sale and not a peep about interest. A name to keep an eye on to me is Jay-z. Rumored to have had interest in minority ownership in us last summer. Has worked with NFL in past. Also would help give NFL diversity among ownership that its going to want with everything going on at the moment. Also would immediately make Washington a big draw if for nothing else but its owner.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I think this is it.  

This is what we've been waiting for.

At the very least, if Dan survives this, he'll survive anything.  This is the most serious stuff that he'll face as owner.  

It appears that the NFL is turning on him.  

We need an ES prayer circle or something.  

47 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Apologies in advanced to @Renegade7but if Bezos buys this team it will have made the last 20 years worth it.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I liken this situation to the Chen situation. Chen skated a nearly perfect program en route to a gold medal, but almost immediately even before they asked him about the routine, reporters were asking him about the Russian skater who was pulled because of doping. Similarly, the NFL has got to hate that on Superbowl week their being nonstop asked about racism and sexual harassment. 

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Everyone says bezos but Denver is currently for sale and not a peep about interest. A name to keep an eye on to me is Jay-z. Rumored to have had interest in minority ownership in us last summer. Has worked with NFL in past. Also would help give NFL diversity among ownership that its going to want with everything going on at the moment. Also would immediately make Washington a big draw if for nothing else but its owner.

Bezos was rumored a few years ago to be interested in buying a team. Not sure how true that is now, but there are strong ties for Bezos in the DC area. He bought WaPo, is renovating a mansion in DC, and brought HQ2 to Arlington just before leaving the company as CEO.

This is from 2018, but as soon as I read this, I knew we had won HQ2. It was just too obvious where he wanted to spend most of his time outside of Seattle.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/04/22/inside-jeff-bezos-dc-life/

He was guided by Ted Leonsis (AOL) and Donal Graham (WaPo) as he was beginning to start Amazon. He wants to be a socialite and host dignitaries, politicians, etc. Owning the team would just be one more step toward building that life for him. I'll see if I can find the direct quote that speaks best to it.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

I highly recommend reading that article. Not only did it make it clear HQ2 would settle in the region ... but it makes a pretty clear case for why Bezos would be incredibly interested in owning said city's Football Team ... just sayin'

“What he’s going to do is revive the legacy of Kay Graham and her great socializing—bringing smart, interesting people together in a social context,” says Jean Case, referring to the late Washington Post publisher. Case and her husband, Steve, the cofounder of AOL, have been friends with the Bezoses since the mid-’90s. Over breakfast in front of the fireplace at the Cases’ home earlier this year, Bezos described his plans. “That’s how they see this house that they’re renovating in Kalorama,” Case says. “They’ll really use it as a magnet of smart, interesting people from all walks.”

It makes sense that a billionaire with numerous interests before the federal government might resurrect Graham’s fabled salons—to some, an artifact of a time when politics was supposedly less blood sport. Yet Bezos also owns homes in Beverly Hills, West Texas, and New York. His infatuation with the nation’s capital provokes its own riddle even among those who know him. “It’s a bit of a mystery to me—whether he has political ambitions or thinks he needs to be on the right side of Washington, for Amazon,” one friend of the Bezos family admits. Yet “Bezos is attracted—like a moth to light—to Washington.”

About three years ago, Bezos began presiding over small gatherings—typically over dinner, and something of a hybrid between ****tail-hour chatter and a TED Talk colloquy. Attendees saw a lesser-known side of the tech mogul: Jeff Bezos the host, the ****tail enthusiast, the busy father.

Friends suggest it was through these encounters that Bezos grew to think of the city as an enthralling crossroads. “Part of the appeal to DC in general to Jeff is that it’s much more vibrant and diverse than it used to be,” says one person familiar with his thinking. “It’s not just a government/journalist town anymore.” As the region began to exude the trappings of concentrated wealth—higher rents, flashier restaurants, tech arrivistes content to shout their success—Amazon’s CEO kept finding more reasons to visit.

“That’s definitely a different Bezos from what we saw here,” says Leslie Helm, editor of Seattle Business magazine, to some consternation. “He’s not been a society person here. He doesn’t do keynote speeches, he doesn’t show up at openings.” Helm goes on: “I suspect you see more of him in DC than we see of him here.”

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

You're reading too much into it.

Nickname is the last of their problems here. The NFL changed their position after the roundtable from the Congress. That's what made the needle move. They didn't throw him under the bus as soon as they heared about it, but let Dan do another stupid move. Then they threw him under the bus. The very difference with the first accusations as it's already been noted here, is that Dan wasn't directly tied to them. That was some of his "employees". Not it's him who's on the hot seat. And that's a big difference.

Rebranding as nothing to do with it.

And honestly, if going Commanders is the beginning of the end of Dan's ownership. I'll worship the name for all my life.

Hiring someone? Like a proctologist?

Well if we talk about reading too much into it...I literally said that the rebranding itself is not a big deal but that it's also not something the NFL doesn't care about at all. Especially if it is part of a bigger theme. Also it's obv not about the name itself but about the process and the underwhelning fan response.

Of course the big story is the congressional investigation. But a less than impressive name change didn't do them any favors in terms of internal credit.

38 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Bezos was rumored a few years ago to be interested in buying a team. Not sure how true that is now, but there are strong ties for Bezos in the DC area. He bought WaPo, is renovating a mansion in DC, and brought HQ2 to Arlington just before leaving the company as CEO.

This is from 2018, but as soon as I read this, I knew we had won HQ2. It was just too obvious where he wanted to spend most of his time outside of Seattle.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/04/22/inside-jeff-bezos-dc-life/

He was guided by Ted Leonsis (AOL) and Donal Graham (WaPo) as he was beginning to start Amazon. He wants to be a socialite and host dignitaries, politicians, etc. Owning the team would just be one more step toward building that life for him. I'll see if I can find the direct quote that speaks best to it.

I actually think the fact that Bezos owns the Washington post could pose a problem if try’s to bid on the team. Keep in mind that if Dan is forced to sell the Post is the one that published the article that got the ball rolling. If Bezos swoops in to bid Dan could make a legitimate argument that Bezos directed the Post to dig this stuff to try and force Danny boy to sale so Bezos could swoop in and buy the team. Not saying that’s what happened by any means just saying I could absolutely see Dan making that argument 

• Thumb down 1