Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

One thing, police should be required to have a college degree, at least a 2 year associates degree.  Then be trained for 2 years, before becoming an officer.

I either read or saw on TV that some jurisdictions only require 5 months training before you can be an officer.

A lot of those punks, wouldn't make it thru college or a 2 year training.

The lack if training is a national problem across the board, not just police.  (the lack of police training just seems so shocking)

Part of it is how we measure success in this country.

Training costs money and its hard to sell/market. 

• Like 2

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/multiracial-family-harassed-trapped-on-camping-trip-near-forks/ar-BB155vjc?ocid=hplocalnews

(via komo news, seattle)

Multiracial family harassed, trapped on camping trip near Forks

FORKS, Wash. - A multiracial Spokane family on a camping trip in the Forks area was harassed and confronted by locals who accused them of being political activists with "Antifa" and then trapped them at a remote campsite in the woods, officials confirmed.

The drama unfolded on Wednesday when the family of four arrived in the town of Forks in an old converted school bus and stopped to buy camping supplies at a local store, said Sgt. Shaun Minks of the Clallam County Sheriff's Office.

As they were leaving the store, the family was confronted by people in several vehicles who kept asking if they were from "Antifa" - the left-wing political activist group known for its sometimes destructive protest tactics.

The family told the people they weren’t associated with any such group and were just camping. The family finally was able to drive out of the parking lot and head for a campsite off a logging road about five miles outside of Forks, Minks said.

The family apparently was followed, however, and became concerned later that evening when they heard the sounds of gunshots and chainsaws nearby.

They decided to pack up and leave, but when they drove back down the logging road, trees had been felled across the road and they could not get out.

The family called 911 for help. And in the meantime, four Forks High School students who were in the area used their chainsaw to help clear the road for the family, Minks said.

stay properly aware and prepared for nature and humans when you're out was my thing (taught/learned/environment) since i was around 10, and yeah now it's a little  more so :) 

i'd love to get my hands on those harassers and wish all such across the land the kind of happy thoughts i'm known for among my fiends

• Like 3

6 hours ago, UKskins said:

Just read this on twitter.

It takes just 12 weeks to train a Minneapolis police officer before they get given a gun and a badge. The Met (London) takes two years to train an (unarmed) officer.

That's your problem.

That should be step 1 of any police reforms - teaching them how to do the job in the first place.

I took a criminal justice class in college about 15 years ago. The professor asked if law enforcement should hold a 4 y ear degree. I said yes, of course. 90% of the class said no. This surprised the professor, who made the point that they receive guns and have lives in in their hands. It was a much deeper conversation than this, but that is the basics.

• Like 1

U.S. Protests Incite Racist Words, Mockery from Moscow

“Friendly advice to the negroes of Minnesota and the U.S.A. from a journalist,” the Telegram post on May 30 reads in Russian.

Shared over 53,000 times, the post is a sarcastic 13-point “plan” on how to run a “Maidan-type” revolution – a reference to the 2014 protests and unrest that forced a change in Ukraine’s government.

The post uses racially disparaging language, and to “ignite” a revolution it recommends staging a 3D video-recorded police beating with “brains and blood flying around” in the best practices of Leni Riefenstahl (Adolf Hitler’s propaganda film director).

The victims have to be “gentle creatures, not ripped criminal negrillos,” the post says, because no one cares about the latter, even those people “crowing like roosters” about their rights.

The post goes on to suggest setting up a stage where “negroes’ folk dance twerk” would be performed 24/7 and assigning “black bros” to cook amphetamine and meth. The last sentence reads: “Beat whites until they turn black!”

The text was reposted on the Telegram by Margarita Simonyan, the editor-in-chief of RT (state-owned news outlet Russia Today) and published in a more polished form (although still containing racial language) in one of Russia’s most popular newspapers.

The author of the post is Dmitry Steshin, special political correspondent for Komsomolskaya Pravda (KP), a national tabloid. It appeared in the paper’s “World politics” section.

KP distributes more copies than any other newspaper in Russia – about 40 million monthly - and its website has 20 million visits a month.

Click on the link for the full article

2 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I took a criminal justice class in college about 15 years ago. The professor asked if law enforcement should hold a 4 y ear degree. I said yes, of course. 90% of the class said no. This surprised the professor, who made the point that they receive guns and have lives in in their hands. It was a much deeper conversation than this, but that is the basics.

Why would a degree better prepare someone to use a firearm or value a life?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't really care about the college education either. I think there should be tighter vetting with psychological assessments, maybe even a clearance requirement, and just a longer training path. To do all that, you'd need to raise salaries too. Overall, just make it a more desired job to attract better people. 

You don't have to require a college degree. But if we make an addition to police budgets, it should involve developing curricula for prospective officers. They should be educated in history, anthropology, social work, and humanitarian and racial studies. If you're serving the people, you should learn a thing or two about them.

Prospective teachers have that content embedded into their coursework so their lesson plans will be effective for kids from all socioeconomic backgrounds (my program referred to this as the universal design for learning). If you're carrying a gun and intervening in volatile situations, imagine how much more important your responsibility is.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

There’s way more that goes into Police work that using a firearm and valuing life. I think Fan is right, because for starters, a four year degree gives people who really shouldn’t be involved with law enforcement a chance to 1) either switch to a different career on their own or 2) be identified by faculty/counselors 3) take some psychology and sociology courses to better understand how troubled people behave and how to de-escalate situations before they turn violent. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RansomthePasserby said:

There’s way more that goes into Police work that using a firearm and valuing life. I think Fan is right, because for starters, a four year degree gives people who really shouldn’t be involved with law enforcement a chance to 1) either switch to a different career on their own or 2) be identified by faculty/counselors 3) take some psychology and sociology courses to better understand how troubled people behave and how to de-escalate situations before they turn violent. 

I think the requirement should be more focused...the police training should be longer and more thorough, but I'm not sure I think spending 4 years in college better prepares someone to be a cop. 

On 6/5/2020 at 1:04 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think the whole point was to educate people better so they can handle the stresses of the job.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

50 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The D.C. mayor should rename 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, 1600 Black Lives Matter Ave.

Nah, I approve of her taking her earnings out and getting some vaseline on her face, but that's a little much considering the significance of that address at minimum.

Edited by Renegade7

On 6/5/2020 at 1:45 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@Fan since a Fetus I agree with your point. I think law enforcement needs more education and more training. I just don't think requiring a 4-year college education is relevant. I'd prefer the academies have a better curriculum...

z

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@Fan since a Fetus I agree with your point. I think law enforcement needs more education and more training. I just don't think requiring a 4-year college education is relevant. I'd prefer the academies have a better curriculum...

If folks come back from a couple tours and want to be a cop in their hometown, ya, agreed, no degree necessary.

I wish we could pipeline more vets into the police, hard to imagine what a lot of infantry folks can do if they don't retrain foe something else.

Looks like the bad apples have spoiled this bunch.  Former DC police Chief was on CNN just now and he was asked about this action.  He said that officers shouldn’t get to choose their assignments and that these cops should resign from their jobs entirely, because the department shouldn’t want anything to do with them.  

A reminder the cops that were suspended didn’t just shove the old guy, they also immediately lied about what happened.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think the requirement should be more focused...the police training should be longer and more thorough, but I'm not sure I think spending 4 years in college better prepares someone to be a cop. 

I agree that under normal circumstances (or in the past), you’re probably right. However, with the tension and distrust our population has and the complexity of communication and media in modern life, it seems like it’s gotten to the point where the responsibility of a single officer warrants a higher education. I mean, the entire country exploded just from the actions of one police officer, I can’t even think of another profession that doesn’t require a college education that holds that kind of weight. Even most professions that require a college education don’t hold that much weight. 

Plus, I think it would be beneficial for police to study history (especially the history of race in our country), ethics, mistakes police have made in the past and how NOT to make those mistakes, anatomy and the dangers of non-lethal measures, along with all of the other experience and diversity that college brings. Policing becoming a practice rather than just a job any bully can get would go a long way to fixing some of the issues we currently have. The quality of individual officers and the standard they hold each other to would go up considerably.

I think no college degree is fine, so long as they have sufficient training. I think trading over kill amounts of equipment for increased pay/training, and non lethal (but still with the capacity to neutralize) weapons is a good idea.

But I think a bigger problem is the armed populace.  Something would probably have to be done about that. I think it's the number one reason why many of them seem so terrified.

• Like 3

For reference, to be a Maryland State Police officer, you have to complete 45 college credits:

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/careers/pages/training.aspx

After graduation from the Academy, you will report to one of the 22 State Police Barracks. Your authority will be statewide and ranges far beyond that of local and county police officers. For eight weeks, you will be supervised by an experienced Field Training Trooper (FTT). During this period, you will be afforded the opportunity to apply your Academy education and training to actual police situations. Following satisfactory completion of field training, you will begin independent patrol activities. If you are a successful applicant, you will attend the Maryland State Police Training Academy in Sykesville, Maryland. 

You will live at the Academy Monday through Friday for 26 weeks. You will be required to stand military-style inspection every day. An accumulation of demerits may lead to disciplinary weekends at the Academy. It will not matter whether you were in the military, went to college or had a job prior to entering the Academy. The Academy will be one of the toughest times you will ever endure.

^ that's pretty extensive training....perhaps they can update what they teach and include some classes like how to deescalate situations, etc? From people I know that have gone through the police academies that were military veterans, they claim the police academy was much harder than boot camp. I don't know how other academies around the US compare, but we need to set a higher standard.

• Like 1