Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

The wut?

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

Article 1.  Section 9.  Which lists the limitations to the powers of Congress.  

OTOH, I'm gonna have to step forward and argue on behalf of Mr. Satan, here.  

What do people think should be done about curfews?  

Arrest large mobs of violators less violently?  (Are we sure that's possible?)  

Simply decide that curfews cannot be used?  (Do you really want to argue that in cases where we've seen the kinds of looting and rioting we've seen, that well, gee, curfews simply aren't an option that can be used?  Ever?)  

(Although I also admit, I haven't kept track whether we've seen major looting/riots in NYC.  I've seen it reported, but haven't kept track of which cities it's happened in.)  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

OTOH, I'm gonna have to step forward and argue on behalf of Mr. Satan, here.  

What do people think should be done about curfews?  

Arrest large mobs of violators less violently?  (Are we sure that's possible?)  

Simply decide that curfews cannot be used?  (Do you really want to argue that in cases where we've seen the kinds of looting and rioting we've seen, that well, gee, curfews simply aren't an option that can be used?  Ever?)  

(Although I also admit, I haven't kept track whether we've seen major looting/riots in NYC.  I've seen it reported, but haven't kept track of which cities it's happened in.)  

Disperse the crowds non-violently.  Don't even waste time arresting them unless they cause problems.  A lot of curfews have been dropped now anyway.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, visionary said:

Disperse the crowds non-violently.

1)  You sure that's possible? 

I confess, I don't know, myself.  I'm at least assuming that every one of these traps is preceded by a warning and an opportunity to go home.  And the protesters don't leave.  But it's an assumption on my part.  

I'm absolutely certain that every one of them knows there's a curfew, and is knowingly violating it.  At least to that extent, every one of them had the opportunity to go home, and knowingly chose to defy it.  

2)  And let's assume that the cops do give them yet another opportunity to disperse.  You figure these protesters comply with the curfew and go home?  Or do they just migrate to a different block and defy the curfew in a different location?  

28 minutes ago, visionary said:

A lot of curfews have been dropped now anyway.

Now, there, I see an argument that curfews are no longer needed, today, in NYC.  

An argument which, again, I'm not certain is wrong.  Maybe we should be "reopening the economy"?  As a test?  

Edited by Larry

1 minute ago, Larry said:

I confess, I don't know, myself.  I'm at least assuming that every one of these traps is preceded by a warning and an opportunity to go home.  And the protesters don't leave.  But it's an assumption on my part.  

I'm absolutely certain that every one of them knows there's a curfew, and is knowingly violating it.  At least to that extent, every one of them had the opportunity to go home, and knowingly chose to defy it.  

You start by trying.  Battering people without just cause and hiding behind a badge is ****ing cowardice.  To Serve And Protect, not To Beat And Oppress.  It is their job to put themselves in danger's way to serve the people; it is not their job to harm people to make their jobs easier.

1 minute ago, Larry said:

2)  And let's assume that the cops do give them yet another opportunity to disperse.  You figure these protesters comply with the curfew and go home?  Or do they just migrate to a different block and defy the curfew in a different location?  

It is never right to batter people who are exercising their right to assembly non-violently.  Never.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

From what we've seen often when the cops disperse the peaceful protests late at night, the people just try to go home, if they can.  It's a bit different if they're camped out or entrenched somewhere though, or if the cops start attacking them.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

You start by trying.  Battering people without just cause and hiding behind a badge is ****ing cowardice.  To Serve And Protect, not To Beat And Oppress.  It is their job to put themselves in danger's way to serve the people; it is not their job to harm people to make their jobs easier.

It is never right to batter people who are exercising their right to assembly non-violently.  Never.

So I'm having trouble figuring out what you're advocating, here.  Curfews can't be enforced?  Or arrest them non-violently?  

- - - - 

And I may have thought of a middle position, to my own dilemma.  I think of it as "Give them a warning."  

Trap them, and then let them out.  On the way out, they have to show ID to an officer.  Their DL# gets typed into a phone/computer/app/something.  Show ID, you're free to go.  But if you get caught violating curfew a second time, then it's an arrest.  

Potentially a lot less violence.  Saves the system a ****load of paperwork.  Hopefully a lot less stress on everybody.  

2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

OMG Buffalo Police may have killed an elderly man tonight. I am not going to share the video but just know they lied and said he tripped and fell. It's crazy there's probably many people on this very forum who think the police aren't professional liars.

That video has been played over and over.

Hopefully, November sees a whole bunch GOPers defeated,

Thing is the Trumpsters love what is happening to protesters; just like their  leader.

Hopefully, the majority will be sickened by this and elect people to bring about change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Destino said:

Will they start punting babies into crowds of protesters next?  How do you one up stealing masks during a pandemic? 

Well there's cracking the skull of an elderly man and walking over his body as his head bleeds out.  Thank goodness that hasn't happened yet.

• Sad 1