Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

3 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I read something today and I don’t know it just hurt.  It was a black male that said it.  It wasn’t the comment but the content.  

He said if a white male had been suffocated by the officer nothing would be going on. No memorials, no protests, no global attention, etc.  Just a moment on world news maybe about a officer using excessive force. Then a few days later they would be forgotten.  No one would care except the family. 

I don’t know it just hurt to think that if that person had been another race choked to death on camera no one would care. 

You and whoever wrote that need to stop looking at George Floyd's death/murder in a vacuum... as if it's an individual incident by an individual cop against an individual citizen who just happened to be black.

There is so much more at the foundation of all this and the Black Lives Matter movement than a person's death at the hands of the police. Viewing Floyd's death the way that person viewed it ignores the real problem and only sows the seeds for more of the same, from both the police and protesters.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, how about 1600 Barrack Obama Ave or 1600 Martin Luther King Ave?

I know where I live, they renamed one of the main roads here after MLK.

I'd say that's in front of your house, not the people's house : )

10 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It won't be easy, but they need to make being a cop more prestigious, better paying, etc. The talk of de-funding the police is asinine...they should be investing more so that you attract better candidates and can properly train/groom the candidates. 

Don't necessarily disagree with you.  But teachers first.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

I've actually read that a big part of the problem is vets on the force.  You don't want the mentality of fighting enemy combatants bleeding into the police service that is meant to serve and protect the people, not see them as the enemy.

But they already have years of training, I wouldn't want to deny them, nor do I want them all to just become blackwater mercinaries either.

I'm going to take you up on this and look up a couple of these high profile cases of unarmed black folk getting killed by cops and see how many of them are former military.

Chauvin was army, started as a cook then became an MP.  I've meet military that went to defend their country then wanted to defend where they grew up or settled down.  I'm not ready to say the same folks we endlessly call heroes are too dangerous to protect us here because they are trained to act like Chauvin.

Some folks are bullies and just go where they can be paid to do that. The military and police are not different, maybe even a preference for some folks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

But they already have years of training, I wouldn't want to deny them, nor do I want them all to just become blackwater mercinaries either.

Years of training to do a different job.  I'm not saying I'm against ex-military entering the police service, but that it might not be exactly the perfect fit that one might initially think.  It takes a different set of training to handle situations where enemies are around every corner trying to kill you, and situations where somebody is disturbing the peace.

I'm going to take you up on this and look up a couple of these high profile cases of unarmed black folk getting killed by cops and see how many of them are former military.

I wasn't speaking specifically to the killing of black people.  There is an overall militarization of the police which I believe contributes to the use of excessive force which is in turn experienced to a greater degree amongst our darker human friends.

Some folks are bullies and just go where they can be paid to do that. The military and police are not different, maybe even a preference for some folks.

Yup.  And we definitely need a way to weed them out.

38 minutes ago, Larry said:

Don't necessarily disagree with you.  But teachers first.  

Exactly. Make it a law that the police budget can not be more than the education budget which will help this country immensely and educate people for jobs. Also make at least 25 percent of the high school American History syllabus about racism and slavery in the US. 

Smarter and more aware people is such a no brainer win win for everyone. 

To @realdonaldtrump
Through my ongoing conversations with friends, teammates, and leaders in the black community, I realize this is not an issue about the American flag. It has never been. We can no longer use the flag to turn people away or distract them from the real issues that face our black communities.
We did this back in 2017, and regretfully I brought it back with my comments this week. We must stop talking about the flag and shift our attention to the real issues of systemic racial injustice, economic oppression, police brutality, and judicial & prison reform.
We are at a critical juncture in our nation’s history! If not now, then when?

Edited by visionary
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1