Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

I wonder if the cops realize that this past week has been their version of the Sharpville massacre? As Tя☭mp would put it, they’ve mostly dominated the streets...and it’s the beginning of the end for their unchecked power and unfettered abuse. From my standpoint, the incident that set this off was incredibly sad, but it was also a relief because it’s almost like black America is saying “See, we told you so!”

Edited by The Sisko
Sharpsburg massacre - Lol. Another ad for not posting while drinking
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — “It went bad. It went bad.”

Two officers of the Buffalo Police Department’s Emergency Response Team spoke with 7 Eyewitness News under the condition their names not be used.

The officers are part of the 57-person volunteer assignment team that resigned Friday, following an incident involving two of their members Thursday night in Niagara Square. They did not resign from the police department, only from their roles on the team.

The officers we spoke with said the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association’s statement asserting all 57 officers resigned from ERT in a "show of support” with the two officers that were suspended without pay is not true.

“I don’t understand why the union said it’s a thing of solidarity. I think it sends the wrong message that ‘we’re backing our own’ and that’s not the case,” said one officer with whom we spoke.

“We quit because our union said [they] aren’t legally backing us anymore. So why would we stand on a line for the City with no legal backing if something [were to] happen? Has nothing to do with us supporting,” said another.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/exclusive-two-buffalo-police-ert-members-say-resignation-was-not-in-solidarity-with-suspended-officers

Looks like the story behind the story is another disappointing police union.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

Still a strange position for those cops to take. What I take from this is that they know what they were doing was legally questionable but because the union was backing them they were willing to do it? Thats not much different than what I thought cops felt honestly. I do wonder why the Union changed up. Maybe they are inundated with legal battles? I dunno. But if the union is not supporting them it feels like to me a small victory for the cause. The union lying about it is added fun. 

8 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I wonder if the cops realize that this past week has been their version of the Sharpsburg massacre? As Tя☭mp would put it, they’ve mostly dominated the streets...and it’s the beginning of the end for their unchecked power and unfettered abuse. From my standpoint, the incident that set this off was incredibly sad, but it was also a relief because it’s almost like black America is saying “See, we told you so!”

Its sad it had to happen this way but its obvious it had to happen this way. Its up to us to turn this activism into political strength. We have to play this system the way its built to be played while we can. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Destino said:

Looks like the story behind the story is another disappointing police union.

Actually, reading the article, looks like something a lot more subtle.  

What the officer interviewed actually said is that they resigned because the city and the union aren't defending the two suspended cops.  

Which seems pretty close to "resigning in support", to me.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, visionary said:

The logic here is a little....confusing.

Listen, let me tell you something. You're lucky those porkchops didn't shoot you and say you're crazed on PCP, 'cause that's what they always say about everybody they shoot. And I think they're lacing the bullets with PCP, that way they got an alibi for killing everybody. Now think about it.

(movie reference)

6 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

You and your friend are both way off base here. People wouldn't need to be protesting because that person killed would receive swift justice right away and the cops would be prosecuted. That's why everyone is mad right now - it took these protests for the officers to get charged.

As an example, look at what happened to the old white guy in Buffalo that got shoved down and cracked his head open. They're protesting at this very moment for him in Buffalo and **** is hitting the fan with that police department.

1) Not my friend. Just a random black guy’s comment on a article today. 

2) True people are upset about the old man.  But let’s suppose this didn’t happen at a protest right now where everyone is angry at cops.  Say Cops just knock this guy flat randomly  during normal times.  Would the same reaction be given?  That’s what the  guy that posted was saying.  Right now anything cop related would be under scrutiny but he’s saying he doesn’t believe it would even be a story. 

50 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I wonder if the cops realize that this past week has been their version of the Sharpville massacre? As Tя☭mp would put it, they’ve mostly dominated the streets...and it’s the beginning of the end for their unchecked power and unfettered abuse. From my standpoint, the incident that set this off was incredibly sad, but it was also a relief because it’s almost like black America is saying “See, we told you so!”

One of the thoughts I've been having lately is that these protests aren't about George Floyd any more.  What's motivating people to show up now, is the continuing stream of YouTube videos of cops assaulting the people who used to be protesting about George Floyd.  

I mean, who would have thought that trying to shut down protests about police brutality by sending out armies of cops in riot gear to assault unarmed civilian, on camera, s might generate support for the protester's cause?  

m-3767.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Larry said:

What the officer interviewed actually said is that they resigned because the city and the union aren't defending the two suspended cops.  

I gotta disagree a bit. Resigning in an act of solidarity and resigning cause your association announces they won't help you knowing you are being put in an extra sticky situation are two different things. 

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

You and whoever wrote that need to stop looking at George Floyd's death/murder in a vacuum... as if it's an individual incident by an individual cop against an individual citizen who just happened to be black.

There is so much more at the foundation of all this and the Black Lives Matter movement than a person's death at the hands of the police. Viewing Floyd's death the way that person viewed it ignores the real problem and only sows the seeds for more of the same, from both the police and protesters.

I didn’t write It.  Does no one read? Jeez.  It was a black guy that made the statement on a article that it would be a non story if it was a white guy.  I’m saying the thought that any race could be suffocated to death and it be just thrown aside it’s disturbing.  Obviously Floyd’s case is just one of many involving blacks and police but I’m saying the suggestion that this could happen and no one gives a damn if it wasn’t someone black is A bit nauseating as this should be a story no matter what.  Given it’s his opinion but it does make you go “I hope not“.  

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I gotta disagree a bit. Resigning in an act of solidarity and resigning cause your association announces they won't help you knowing you are being put in an extra sticky situation are two different things. 

I dunno.  Yeah, . . . 

1)  "I support the rights of two cops to assault someone on camera", and 

2)  "I support the rights of two cops to assault someone on camera, and have the union and the city taxpayers defend them" 

. . . aren't completely identical.  But the distinction seems pretty subtle to me.  

To me, the really big news here is that the union supposedly isn't defending them?  That sure doesn't fit my (ignorant) opinion of police unions.  

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

I dunno.  Yeah, . . . 

1)  "I support the rights of two cops to assault someone on camera", and 

2)  "I support the rights of two cops to assault someone on camera, and have the union and the city taxpayers defend them" 

. . . aren't completely identical.  But the distinction seems pretty subtle to me.  

To me, the really big news here is that the union supposedly isn't defending them?  That sure doesn't fit my (ignorant) opinion of police unions.  

I don't think these two particular cops said they support the rights of the two cops to assault...

I agree that the union not supporting them is a bigger story cause the union knows more bad **** is likely to happen and they can't afford it. 

40 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Given it’s his opinion but it does make you go “I hope not“.  

You dont remember how pissed off people were when that white kid was begging for his life and was gunned down in that hotel? I think it was Vegas? This wouldnt be the first time. People cared then. I wouldnt let your one buddies opinion really bother you that much considering its basically been proven false already. Thats honestly a talking point that just serves to slow or stall the movement if it catches on. That helps no one. Its something Trump would say. That should tell you how dumb it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Larry said:

From the article:

"Some of them probably resigned because they support the officer,” said another officer with whom we spoke. “But, for many of us, that’s not true.”

“The City, DA Flynn, they’re not representing those guys at all. They have to find their own lawyers, they have to come out of pocket.”

The way I read it is that once they heard officers, meaning all of them, were going to have to "come out of their own pocket" they didn't want to take the risk themselves any longer.  That actually makes a lot of sense.  If they are being ordered to clear out protesters but also liable should someone get hurt... who would want to do that if they didn't have to?

• Like 1

Australia showed up today.

Melbourne, Canberra, and Sydney had huge numbers on the streets.

Sydney were told the protest was illegal. They showed up anyway and then it got declared legal whilst it was happening. Every single person there, showed up thinking they were breaking the law just by protesting, but they didn't care, they went anyway. ✊🏾

Meanwhile, in Atlanta, this is different from the National Guard 😂

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, UKskins said:

and judging by the replies, people on both sides hate this.  A lot of people seem convinced that this display of humanity is really propaganda and nefarious psyops. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1