Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

This was a long time coming. It's basically Charlottesville but all over the country at this point.

Trump's America was always bound to look like this.

If Charlottesville happened today the response would be much different. Right wing media would be defending James Field. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't think it's a sudden massive swell of racist extremists.  I think having a president and a significant segment of one of the major political parties that keeps on winking to them, giving them dog whistles, and normalizing their behavior has emboldened them into acting in more broad daylight.  

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

If Charlottesville happened today the response would be much different. Right wing media would be defending James Field. 

Yup. James Fields was treated a hero in far right circles but he never got mainstream accolades. But the arguments were the same, that he drove into the crowd because he "feared for his life". Kyle Rittenhouse's ascendance really shows how the extremists won and the entire party is now just a bunch of bloodthirsty racists whose entire worldview is about power and domination.

16 minutes ago, tshile said:

So now people are shooting each other at the protests so that’s great. wonder how long it takes for it to spread to a bigger issue than these, where groups of people are shooting at each other. 

Well, people have been programmed to think like this for years, decades even. It’s been broadcast over airways and through the cable, straight to the people. In the last 10 years or so, the internet has made it so information (good to bad) has been pumped right to people’s faces. When they are staring at their phone, they’re staring at a reality that has been catered to them personally.

I’ll admit, I get caught up in it myself. I don’t really talk to people about everything going on, mainly because I have anonymous outlets here on ES and Reddit. But I browse ES, Reddit, Facebook, IG, and other stuff WAY more than I think I should. Often times I feel like I’m just waiting for someone I don’t agree with to post so that I can shout them down. And I’m a pretty free thinking and open, honest adult. I can feel the pressure of media (mainly internet, not some dumb trope like MSM), but there’s lots of people less self aware than me who are just getting played.

Tomorrow, all the usual provocateurs will say the typical controversial stuff that people eat up. Some from the left, some from the right. I feel like those from the right speak the loudest and with the most anger, but that’s just probably my political bias showing. It will just stoke the flames though. People who are influenced by this stuff will just become more incensed. Protests will increase, anger among counter protesters will increase. It’s what sells.

If only we had some sort of leadership that could guide us through this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I get the impression that things will get worse as we get closer to the election.  Not to mention all of these repeated, constant, never ending mass gatherings are absolutely spreading corona virus.  

We’re going to reach November skidding sideways sparks flying and on fire at this rate.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Thought occurred to me today.  (Happens every few years.)  I think it belongs in this thread.  

Apparently, society has decided that in cases like these, society has the authority to ban protests, prohibit them from certain areas, impose curfews, things like that.  

Does society also have the authority to ban carrying guns in the safe areas?  

Can the same person who draws a line on a map and announces that "effective tonight, any person on the street in this area after dark will be arrested", have the authority to make the same announcement for any non-police-officer carrying a gun?

And if so, would it be a good idea?  I mean, to me, I think that keeping guns out of potential riots would be an idea most folks could get behind.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

God, it just feels like a matter of time before some MAGAdiot plants a Patriots Day-like pressure cooker bomb in a crowd of protesters. 

We already had one mailing bombs to prominent Democrats and media institutions. Seems very on brand.

• Thanks 1

An 8th grade social studies assignment is pulled after criticism from a police group and Texas governor

exas Gov. Greg Abbott and the National Fraternal Order of Police are denouncing a social studies assignment that included political cartoons depicting the treatment of Black people in American history.

One cartoon, which was used at Cooper Junior High School in Wylie, Texas, in mid-August, sparked outrage on social media, with critics saying it compared police to the Ku Klux Klan.

Some parents in the Wylie Independent School District just north of Dallas also complained about the assignment, which was posted online by an unidentified eighth-grade teacher.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

This is the POTUS everyone.

Seriously though, Trump is really making me question my job doing contracting work for the federal government.  I've felt this way for about a year or so and it's just been eating at me more this past year.  

Edited by purbeast