Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Beginning to shed bitter tears over the pointless run to the playoffs (thank you to the individual who posted the great piece about Ron's Character Renovation via Sally Jenkins), as awesome as that turn around was, it did severe damage to the long term prospects of our turn around unless we can luck into a QB somehow. 

3 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Beginning to shed bitter tears over the pointless run to the playoffs (thank you to the individual who posted the great piece about Ron's Character Renovation via Sally Jenkins), as awesome as that turn around was, it did severe damage to the long term prospects of our turn around unless we can luck into a QB somehow. 

RR's got 2 prior GMs that are feeding him info along with the Scouting Dept..  He's in a unique position to have this knowledge fed to him and then he makes the decision.  It will be interesting to see who he picks in the next few drafts and how it pans out.  We are good, I think.  

5 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

No run to the playoffs for a losing team in their first season with a new coaching staff is pointless....keep the faith and enjoy the Fitzmagic that's headed our way. If we keep adding to the defense we will make a nice run this season....We're about to be one of the funnest teams in the league to follow.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Watch one of the other teams outbid RR even if there interested.  Just a guess.  RR has a cutoff point and that occurred with Detroit and Stafford.  I'm basing my guess of what occurred with that situation.  

RR likes our QB room right now. 

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Mills has a high ceiling but a sub basement floor.  He is one of the biggest gambles in the class IMO.  More so even than Lance.  David Shaw pretty much banged the hell out of the table for him and he's got enough credibility to get the kid drafted way earlier than his resume justifies.  To hear Shaw tell it, Mills is basically Andrew Luck 2.0, just came out a year too early.

I guarantee all of this momentum of Mills rising is based on Shaw's stumping for him.  It does make you stop and take a rosy look at the kid.

I don't see the high ceiling unless its apples to apples to Trask.  Arm talent IMO slightly above average.  Mobility average.  Accuracy inconsistent as heck.   He does a really nice job as for changing arm speeds-touch and throws well with anticipation.  I don't see a high ceiling unless a high ceiling is defined as a 14-18 type QB. 

14 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I get the point but what coach actively tanks with cooperation from their players?   It's not like its some active strategy in the NFL.  From what I can tell its just a fan fantasy.  And yeah I've had that fantasy myself especially late in some seasons but I didn't expect the head coach and full football team to play along with purposely losing. 

Heck Miami is the one team I can recall openly talking about tanking 2 years ago but they still couldn't help themelves and win some games.

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Mills should have gone back.  He could have been an early first round pick with a decent season under his belt.

Jaelen Phillips has had multiple serious concussions and has already had to quit football before.  I think he's going to be one of the surprise callers who goes several rounds later than people expect.

If he plays his cards right and gets a little lucky, he probably lands with a solid organization, that's preferable than going to a dumpster fire picking high next year, or having his draft stock collapse if he has a bad season. Right now he's slated to go in round 2, or early round 3, that's not bad at all, and most of the team's w/QB needs will have them at that point. Likely landing spots are probably: 

Good:

Tampa Bay

New Orleans

Seattle

Pittsburgh

Denver

Solid:

Washington

NYG

Chicago 

Miami

Bad:

Detroit

Atlanta

New England 

Oakland

Houston

I'd prefer to have a chance to land with a good org with a plan, than be locked into landing with a team that earned a super high pick, generally speaking. Odds are better when you're going a bit later of landing with a better org. 

I believe reaching the playoffs was huge long term. Ron was trying to sell a different culture and getting players to change how they think, practice, etc. We’ve all witnessed players who half-assed it once they got to DC or just came here to get paid. We also read about the players who ****ed about how “that was not how we did it last year.”

Even more than a QB, this team needed an attitude overhaul. You get that by winning and players buying in because they see that following the coach is paying off. 

RGiII had unbelievable talent. Haskins had a fantastic arm. Both could have been franchise QBs. The culture fed the worst in them. 

Winning too much has not been this team’s problem. Effort, sloppiness, and discipline has been the problem. 

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I believe reaching the playoffs was huge long term. Ron was trying to sell a different culture and getting players to change how they think, practice, etc. We’ve all witnessed players who half-assed it once they got to DC or just came here to get paid. We also read about the players who ****ed about how “that was not how we did it last year.”

Even more than a QB, this team needed an attitude overhaul. You get that by winning and players buying in because they see that following the coach is paying off. 

RGiII had unbelievable talent. Haskins had a fantastic arm. Both could have been franchise QBs. The culture fed the worst in them. 

Winning too much has not been this team’s problem. Effort, sloppiness, and discipline has been the problem. 

Couldn't agree more...young teams with new staffs need confidence and to be shown how to do things on and off the field. Work ethic, character, effort, teamwork, all important things to establish while we find our QB. That taste of the playoffs had to feel good for the entire organization especiallly given all of the off field and organizational crap everyone has gone through. 

Can't help but think it helped us sign free agents too.....

Yeah I would not trade the Division title and that game against Brady for the ability to easily draft a Fields/Lance. First, we can still get that done if we trade up. And Second, it was a great experience against the GOAT for our young guys to get a taste of postseason action. We gave them a hell of a game..

You gotta have some proof of improvement for a team to start to believe they can be more. No Better proof than a Division title. Lance wouldn’t play this year anyhow, and Fields would def have the fan base clamoring to bring him in when Fitzy starts to sputter.

I’m ok trading up if they want to, if they believe in one of these guys. There is nothing stopping us. 

And if they say “Well we didn’t want to give up all that capital” then they didn’t really believe in the dude. If you like someone that much, you make it happen. 

18 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

IMO, it comes down to OL or LB on at #19. Forget all the trade up talk.  It took the Chiefs forking over 4 draft picks to get Orlando Brown.  This would be the twice that if not the RG3 x 10

You have a poor understanding of trade value. The 7-8 pick is far less valuable than 2nd overall, even from 19.

4 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

You have a poor understanding of trade value. The 7-8 pick is far less valuable than 2nd overall, even from 19.

If whoever is at 7th or 8th overall is willing to take less then you jump at it, but if they want a king's ransom, then I would pass

I know everyone(most) thinks there are no franchise QB in ‘22...

I dont agree with that narrative.

not one bit. 
outside of Lawrence, how many people here knew who trey lance or mac jones was last year at this time...?

there will be guys that rise up and play great college ball next year and elevate their game to new levels and get into the conversation. 
point being, WFT will be just fine without drafting a qb this time around. 

16 minutes ago, illone said:

not one bit. 
outside of Lawrence, how many people here knew who trey lance or mac jones was last year at this time...?

there will be guys that rise up and play great college ball next year and elevate their game to new levels and get into the conversation. 

Everyone knew who Trey Lance was this time last year. Everyone knew who Justin Fields was. The existing QBs in 2022 aren’t even remotely on that level. It’s just a terrible class and nobody is going to be in range where we would pick even if someone did break out. Get ready for eternal mediocrity under Ron.

9 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Everyone knew who Trey Lance was this time last year. Everyone knew who Justin Fields was. The existing QBs in 2022 aren’t even remotely on that level. It’s just a terrible class and nobody is going to be in range where we would pick even if someone did break out. Get ready for eternal mediocrity under Ron.

Is there no joy in your life?

1 hour ago, illone said:

not one bit. 

Fields and Lance were on the radar this time last year along with Lawrence.  Wilson and Jones weren't.  True though, QBs can emerge this college season no one is talking about now.  

Spencer Rattler of Oklahoma could emerge as the guy next year.  Lincoln Riley's good at producing them.  

Are there no LT's anymore? LOL.  Is it a product of Covid and the lack of assessment? 

The variance of opinions from all the pundits/scouts I've seen/read regarding literally every OT except Sewell (even he is supposedly immature), is vast.  

So many opinions out there, nothing definite.

DJeremiah in his assessment of Darrisaw says he views him as a RT, in his latest top 150.  I've also heard questions and concerns on work ethic and pass protection.  Slater, I've seen that many don't view him as an LT, arm length issues.  Jenkins supposedly an RT or Guard. 

Cosmi looks like Tarzan plays like Jane sometimes.

The Questions go on and on.  You get the drift.  

How does the FO See these guys?  I bring it up because all of the sudden Darrisaw looks to be falling a bit, at least thats the perception, maybe its just me.  

Wonder if we pass or is it all just smoke and bluster and we are thrilled we have our LT of the future?  Do we believe in someone else?

Seems like maybe this draft that was once touted as great at OT is reverting to maybe just good and deep?

Keim mentioned they view several guys in the 2nd-3rd round range as potential starters...food for thought. 

Is it all Ron, Marty, Martin running a disinformation campaign on all of them to see who drops, lol?

Archived