Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like him.  I'd take Werner over him though since IMO he's more well rounded.   My favorite 3rd-4th round type is Barnes. 

Werner going mid ****ing 20s screws my whole plan of attack. I need everyone to keep sleeping on him please.

To add on more thought on the corners.  Dallas is arguably our toughest foe in the division.    And their trifecta of receivers is really good.    The Giants WRs are good now too with Golladay, Slayton, Shepard.  But the kicker is I keep reading they might want to add either Waddle or Devonta Smith if they fall to their pick.  If that happens then their receivers are also a strong and deep group.  They also have Engram at TE and signed Rudolph and John Ross.

Part of the method to the madness is to match up to those teams?    Right now, i am not scared by Reaves at FS or Moreland at nickle.   Plus corners get hurt a lot.  You really need 4 corners in today's NFL.

Part of the reason why I stopped watching O lineman is I want to spend some time watching corners and free safeties in the next few days. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Werner going mid ****ing 20s screws my whole plan of attack. I need everyone to keep sleeping on him please.

Keim seems to be suggesting the WFT like him. Sounds like you'd have to use the 2nd rounder to take him if he's still there because he might not be there in the third.   Feels though like they are more likely to trade down then trade up.  If so it sounds like they got multiple targets in the late first and 2nd.   

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like him.  I'd take Werner over him though since IMO he's more well rounded.   My favorite 3rd-4th round type is Barnes. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If there is run on LB's early like they are insinuating, Barnes is a must early in the 3rd

13 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

This makes me laugh every year as well. 

This board is 100% certain there are 25 players that won’t drop to #19

Yeah this is my mantra just about every draft season.  Some unexpected dude will drop.  

Right now I think we can safely guess:

5 QBs  

4 O lineman

3 WRs

1 TE

1 LB

2 CBs

1 edge

So that's already 17 players.   Then all that has to happen is  5 O lineman go as some suspect.  that's the 18 players before our pick.

Now in mocks in rumors here and there we see things like Moehrig, Z. Collins, J. Davis, another WR, Newsome, T. Jenkins, Koramoah, N. Harris in the top 19 picks.  So if 1 or 2 of those type of things happen, that's all it will take for some dude who is just about never at 19 in a mock but lands there on draft day like Jonathan Allen years ago.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah this is my mantra just about every draft season.  Some unexpected dude will drop.  

Right now I think we can safely guess:

5 QBs  

4 O lineman

3 WRs

1 TE

1 LB

2 CBs

1 edge

So that's already 17 players.   Then all that has to happen is  5 O lineman go as some suspect.  

Exactly. And that’s not taking into account any surprising picks, which happens every single year. 

I'm starting to get the sense that our FO is putting out a fair amount of misdirection.  Over the past month people have said we're interested and "know we like" a lot of players at #19.  JOK, Jamin Davis, AVT, Darrisaw, and Moehrig are a few.  We have some national media guys insisting we're going to trade up.  Other media guys insisting we're going to trade down unless someone too good to fall happens to fall.

This draft is going to be more uncertain, and therefore interesting than past drafts...where you basically have known what's going to happen.

Haskins was basically locked in.  Doctson was likely.  DT and then RB for 2018 with Payne or Vea and then Guice or whoever was assumed.  Chase Young was a no brainer.  I forget who we were linked to in 2017, but then Jon Allen surprisingly fell.

2 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Exactly. And that’s not taking into account any surprising picks, which happens every single year. 

Yeah agree and I mentioned surprised picks.  I'd be surprised if there isn't a surprise or two, there just about always is a suprise.  So the odds that at least one funky thing happens at 19 is really good.   All of these no way Parson falls, or Devonta Smith falls or Darrisaw, or whatever -- collectively is probably true.  But the odds that one of these things happens at a minimum are good. 

8 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

One thing I'll say about Moehrig, he has my favorite quality in a FS, which is arriving to the party early. Just watching him, he seems to flow like water out there, he doesn't look like a burner but he seems to have a really high football IQ. 

Any NFL comps for him? 

If he goes in the 1st round?  Honestly can't think of a comparison.

Most 1st round FS (which there aren't many of) tend to be really fast.  Like 4.3's.  Moehrig has average size and good athleticism, but not elite by any means.

7 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm starting to get the sense that our FO is putting out a fair amount of misdirection.  Over the past month people have said we're interested and "know we like" a lot of players at #19.  JOK, Jamin Davis, AVT, Darrisaw, and Moehrig are a few.  We have some national media guys insisting we're going to trade up.  Other media guys insisting we're going to trade down unless someone too good to fall happens to fall.

This draft is going to be more uncertain, and therefore interesting than past drafts...where you basically have known what's going to happen.

Haskins was basically locked in.  Doctson was likely.  DT and then RB for 2018 with Payne or Vea and then Guice or whoever was assumed.  Chase Young was a no brainer.  I forget who we were linked to in 2017, but then Jon Allen surprisingly fell.

Doctson came out of nowhere as for rumors but the dude they apparently wanted Ryan Kelly was surprisingly taken before their pick.

I don't think its misdirection but you never know, will see.  What Keim and Standig and others have said is consistent which is they are going to go with the flow of the board.  You can't prepare for a specific outcome since its out of their contol.  So they will play the hand that is dealt.    They have a number of players they like but they can't control whether they get those dudes considering where they pick.

As for QB, I'd say the national narrative is mixed at best about them trading up.  Breer, JLC, King among others don't think they trade up, and some think they do.  Watching the NFL Network all day in the background as i work, we've not been mentioned yet as a likely trade up candidate for a QB today by Rapoport, etc.  NE on the other hand is hot. as for rumors on that front.

The local beat guys have consistently said they might trade if they don't have to go up high and give up a ton.  But they think in the end it doesn't go down. 

How's this for a trade-down option. Saints send 2.60, 7.229 and a 2022 1st for #19

2.51: Pat Freiermuth, TE Penn State

2.60: Pete Werner, LB Ohio State

3.72: Andre Cisco, S Syracuse

3.82: Stone Forsythe, OT Florida

3.100: Trey Smith, IOL Ohio State

5.163: Kylin Hill, RB Miss State

6.195: Joshua Kaindoah, DE Florida State

*Used 4/7 to come up to 100 for Smith. Used 7/7 to move up to 195 to secure the DE I wanted in Kaindoah (love his frame and length ... 6'7 250)

Head into 2022 with two 1sts ... one potentially being a mid to high round pick from New Orleans depending on how the post-DB era goes. I actually think I would take this deal but reject other similar offers from KC, TB, GB, etc. because of the likelihood that their 1st ends up being late 20s, whereas New Orleans could end up being higher.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If he goes in the 1st round?  Honestly can't think of a comparison.

Most 1st round FS (which there aren't many of) tend to be really fast.  Like 4.3's.  Moehrig has average size and good athleticism, but not elite by any means.

Jessie Bates is kind of who I was thinking, they're similar athletically and size-wise. Bates I think went round 2, but Bengals fans probably wouldn't blink twice if he was a first round selection for them, he's been really good.

I'm actually okay with Reaves and Curl back there due to the chemistry they seem to have, but Moehrig is definitely an interesting player. 

18 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

One thing I'll say about Moehrig, he has my favorite quality in a FS, which is arriving to the party early. Just watching him, he seems to flow like water out there, he doesn't look like a burner but he seems to have a really high football IQ. 

Any NFL comps for him? 

Zierlein compares him to Jessie Bates and that works for me.

If anyone is feeling underwhelmed about him, watch this highlight video and you will feel better:

This kid is good.  Not a projection or a dreamy best case scenario situation with him, he was legitimately a top 15 player in CFB this season.  He won the Thorpe award and was an All American and he is going to translate to the NFL if he stays healthy.  He'd be a good pick, just perhaps not the best pick.  But he's the clear cut best safety in the class and he's a much better player and bet than Cisco, Hamlin, and Hufanga given their injury histories.

Moehrig in the first and Asante Samuel in the second and/or Shaun Wade in the fifth and we could potentially run the best defense in the NFL over the next two years.

Obviously he's no Pitts but he's one of my favorite mid round prospects, and my fav sleeper type at TE.  But I admit I kept wondering about whether there is something I am missing about Yeboah since he gets so little love from the draft community.  Heck PFF thinks he might go undrafted.  So I was wondering if it was me who is off the wall about him.  :ols:

So good for me to see someone from the draft community likes him.  He can seperate well and makes some spectacular catches.    I was watching the Senior Bowl yesterday and he made quite the highlight catch.  And he's a better blocker IMO than what his critics including PFF say he is.  They left him to block a lot.  He's not a people mover type blocker but he gets in front of his man. 

I think he, Briley Moore, Tre McKitty among the mid round types could end up really solid to good players. 

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This kid is good.  Not a projection or a dreamy best case scenario situation with him, he was legitimately a top 15 player in CFB this season.  He won the Thorpe award and was an All American and he is going to translate to the NFL if he stays healthy.  He'd be a good pick, just perhaps not the best pick.  But he's the clear cut best safety in the class and he's a much better player and bet than Cisco, Hamlin, and Hufanga given their injury histories.

Moehrig in the first and Asante Samuel in the second and/or Shaun Wade in the fifth and we could potentially run the best defense in the NFL over the next two years.

I like Cisco a lot but he IMO doesn't have Moehrig's instincts in pass coverage. 

Archived