Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

45 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I think Detroit wants to trade down, but will they if Sewell is on the board?  He fits exactly what they are looking for in terms of rebuilding their team.  

Thing is they could trade down and pick up another 1st next year and still get Darrisaw, Cosmi or Jenkins later in the 1st. It is a pretty deep tackle class.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Thing is they could trade down and pick up another 1st next year and still get Darrisaw, Cosmi or Jenkins later in the 1st. It is a pretty deep tackle class.

They move past #16, Darrisaw is probably gone.  #13, #14 and #16 are likely targets I think for Darrisaw.

Per the Standig mentions.  I like those players except for Roundtree.  IMO there are better late round possibilities at RB than Roundtree.  He's OK.  But he doesn't have speed or elusiveness.  He brings some physicality but nothing special IMO.  his hands are so so.  Decent contact balance.   

He is decent as a goal line RB -- gets his share of TDs.   But I don't love him.

I am an Owusu-Koromoah fan for sure.  He fits here just like Darrisaw does.  My issues with him are that I think he puts you in a bind with not always playing team ball and it's more of a problem for a team like us with a crap offense and perhaps not the greatest safeties behind him than it was for ND.  But the much bigger issue for me is I just don't think he is as good as Etienne and Harris are.  This was really palpable during the ACC championship and the first round of the CFP when ND played those guys.  Owusu-Koromoah got the better of Etienne and Clemson in the first match up when they were scrambling after Lawrence got Covid. But absolutely no one came away from watching those final two games thinking that Owusu-Koromoah was a better and more valuable player in them than Etienne and Harris were.  They embarrassed that really good ND defense and showed out as stars and impact players.  Owusu-Koromoah even played pretty well, but he's one guy in the front and there is only so much you can do when Etienne is rampaging through the rest of your front and you are having to catch him way down field.

22 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

It all hinges on Denver and NE (our competition for QBs).  I'm thinking Denver might prefer Fields over Lance since Fields is more ready (and Lock has a tenuous hold as the QB anyways (according to Lombardi, he was almost traded to Carolina earlier in the off-season)).  I think I want Fields over Lance too.  Denver can trade up to 6-8 and pay a small price to get their QB while the team trading down can still get a blue-chip player (Sewell, Slater, Waddle, the CBs).  Trading down to 19 doesn't allow those teams to do so.  

NE can trade up to 10-12 much more easily than we can.  The NFC east isn't trading down with us.  I figure NYG is a strong trade down team (even though Gettleman doesn't trade down often).  They can still get their edge or Parsons at 15 while NE can get the last QB at 11.  They also prevent us from getting the QB.

I don't see a realistic path at trading up unless we offer a bounty of picks.  

I wouldn't trade up for Lance period.  If Denver picks Fields, I'm sitting tight at 19 or trading down.  I'd consider picking Lance at 19, but there is zero chance I would trade up for him.  I think that is a slow moving disaster in the making.

I don't think the Patriots will pick a first round QB much less trade up for one.  I don't think Belichek has the energy nor the inclination to develop a QB prospect.  They are giving it one final go before he retires from coaching.  I think they are hoping to get Garoppolo back.  I think they pick one of the Bama receivers or an OL or corner/Zaven.

Our real competition for QBs is Denver and Chicago.  Denver hasn't shown an inclination to be bold at QB in the draft under Elway.  I think they might pick Fields or Lance but I also think they might wait on someone like Trask or especially Mills.  Chicago is the one who might leapfrog us for Fields, but I think they might be the only other one making serious offers for him.

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I am an Owusu-Koromoah fan for sure.  He fits here just like Darrisaw does.  My issues with him are that I think he puts you in a bind with not always playing team ball and it's more of a problem for a team like us with a crap offense and perhaps not the greatest safeties behind him than it was for ND.  But the much bigger issue for me is I just don't think he is as good as Etienne and Harris are.  This was really palpable during the ACC championship and the first round of the CFP when ND played those guys.  Owusu-Koromoah got the better of Etienne and Clemson in the first match up when they were scrambling after Lawrence got Covid. But absolutely no one came away from watching those final two games thinking that Owusu-Koromoah was a better and more valuable player in them than Etienne and Harris were.  They embarrassed that really good ND defense and showed out as stars and impact players.  Owusu-Koromoah even played pretty well, but he's one guy in the front and there is only so much you can do when Etienne is rampaging through the rest of your front and you are having to catch him way down field.

The play where Koramoah rips the ball from Etienne's hands and scores a TD was a classic.

I've become a big Koramoah guy after some early skepticism when I first looked at him early in the college season.  

Part of it is I've been sold on players over the years who look like missiles on the field.  Derwin James looked like that.  As I mentioned before last season, Jeremy Chinn looked like that.  Koramoah plays with the same mold of play.

As I mentioned months back, I'd expect Hurney would fall for Koramoah considering he supposedly was infatuated with Chinn.  Both players have different weaknesses/strengths but they have that common ingredient of you can't keep your eyes off of them because they just seem to move faster and play with more fire than anyone else on the field when you are watching them.  And looks like Hurney indeed does like Koramoah and he's in play judging by Keim's podcasts.

I said about Chinn back at the time that the downside of his style is that he will overpursue and take himself out of the play and miss some blocks.  Koramoah ditto.  But there is a double edge to most styles of play.   There is a downside to playing aggressive.  But the upside for how Koramoah plays beats the downside IMO by a mile. 

It means something to me that London Fletcher who was a very sound tackler and smart traditional Mike LB, loves Koramoah the most among the LBs if I read the article I just did right. 

38 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Due to the number of wants and needs, I can't see two LB picks through the first 5 rounds unless they sign a FA before the draft.

LT, TE, RB, WR, LB, FS, plus QB, CB, Edge

I respect you POV.  :)

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

AVT would just be so underwhelming. I mean another Guard in the 1st round? He's a fine player sure but...come on there has gotta be more impactful players we can take.

With the Scherff situation it would actually make some sense. Nice thing about AVT is he can play tackle in a pinch. Nothing wrong with adding versatile pieces to your OL. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I said about Chinn back at the time that the downside of his style is that he will overpursue and take himself out of the play and miss some blocks.  Koramoah ditto.  But there is a double edge to most styles of play.   There is a downside to playing aggressive.  But the upside for how Koramoah plays beats the downside IMO by a mile. 

Owusu-Koromoah is a god fit here no doubt, and he would ultimately be a good pick IMO.  I'll take the play making over the chunk plays given up too.  Though I think we should all accept that it's coming with Owusu-Koromoah and set our expectations accordingly so I don't have to read a thousand whiny posts in the game threads about how much he sucks every time he falls off of a tackle or over runs a play.

My real issue with Owusu-Koromoah is that he's not BPA over Etienne and Harris.  I am rock solid confident in that valuation, I think Etienne and Harris are at least a tier above Owusu-Koromoah.  I'm a consistent BPA advocate and I can't truly love a pick where I don't believe the guy is the BPA.  Especially not in the first round.  One of the reasons I've loved most of our first round picks since 2015 is because I did believe they were BPA picks, and they're the reason our roster is turning the corner now.  Two of them didn't work out, but that's life.  We're in a situation this year where a RB is the most likely scenario for being the BPA. We need to either go up and get our QB, pick the BPA, or trade down to try and recoup some of that lost AV if we're going to pass on the BPA.

I started listening to Standig's podcast.  He's IMO typically the 2nd most plugged in beat guy.  He's also mentioning Moehrig.   Whether they take them or not who knows.  But I think we can say with assurance that Koramoah and Moehrig are on the table.  Both Keim and Standig have mentioned Jamin Davis from time to time too as a fit.

Both Standig and Keim have mentioned not seeing Zaven Collins as a fit here. 

the theme on Moehrig though seems to be in a trade down

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I actually think the Chargers will move up to 7 to take Sewell if he falls that far.

Is Detroit passing on Sewell?  He fits exactly what they want their rebuild to be.  LAC would have to offer their 2nd+4th to get it done.  Detroit takes Parsons, AVT, or an edge at 13.  

21 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Owusu-Koromoah is a god fit here no doubt, and he would ultimately be a good pick IMO.  I'll take the play making over the chunk plays given up too.  Though I think we should all accept that it's coming with Owusu-Koromoah and set our expectations accordingly so I don't have to read a thousand whiny posts in the game threads about how much he sucks every time he falls off of a tackle or over runs a play.

My real issue with Owusu-Koromoah is that he's not BPA over Etienne and Harris.  I am rock solid confident in that valuation, I think Etienne and Harris are at least a tier above Owusu-Koromoah.  I'm a consistent BPA advocate and I can't truly love a pick where I don't believe the guy is the BPA.  Especially not in the first round.  One of the reasons I've loved most of our first round picks since 2015 is because I did believe they were BPA picks, and they're the reason our roster is turning the corner now.  Two of them didn't work out, but that's life.  We're in a situation this year where a RB is the most likely scenario for being the BPA. We need to either go up and get our QB, pick the BPA, or trade down to try and recoup some of that lost AV if we're going to pass on the BPA.

If we want the RB, than we can trade down and pick whomever Pittsburgh passes on.  I'd take Darisow over Najee and Eitienne because of positional value.  

17 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Is Detroit passing on Sewell?  He fits exactly what they want their rebuild to be.  LAC would have to offer their 2nd+4th to get it done.  Detroit takes Parsons, AVT, or an edge at 13.  

The Lions are in complete rebuild mode and are gonna just want to stockpile picks to beef up their entire roster. They can get an impact player like the ones you listed or maybe someone like Waddle at 13. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think they'd do #5 either but not because I lack confidence in the value of #5, but because I don't have total confidence in the vision of this FO to see the value of doing it.  Najee and Etienne are kind of a yardstick for me to see how good this new FO is this year.  There are a lot of scenarios at 19 where they are the clear cut BPA and what we decide could reveal whether this is a BPA FO or not.

But you never know.  Marty Hurney is the guy who drafted Christian McCaffrey and Jonathan Stewart and Deangelo Williams in the first round right?

I think there is a chance Fields falls further than anyone expects.  DeShaun Watson went 12th and Lamar Jackson went 32nd and those are the two best case scenario comparisons floated most often with Fields.  I'm not necessarily expecting it, but I think there is at least a really good chance we can get Fields for a relative bargain and that he's our guy if we want him.

It's possible.  As much as I harp on trusting rumors in particular Keim's reporting -- all that means is these are players they like.  It doesn't mean they will take them.  He's been mostly spot on with rumors of players they like both in FA and the draft.

If they took Najee Harris or Etienne they've done a perfect smokescreen on it.   Is it possible?  Sure. 

The last time we had a first round pick that was just wild out of the blue was Doctson but even with that pick we kept hearing they wanted Ryan Kelly and it came out later they indeed intended to take him but the Colts surprised them by taking him first.  Jonathan Allen was a surprise but not from the context of them liking him but from the context of his dropping.  

I like both Harris and Etienne, i am more of a Harris guy.  I think J. Williams is just a hair behind.  I think all three will likely be superstars at the spot. 

I don't think we'd take Etienne. His skillset is too similar to what we already have in GIbson. If we were to take a RB it'd be Harris but I just don't see that happening. We get more value getting a guy who would be a full time starter at say LT or LB, Harris would be splitting touches with Gibson. But maybe I'm just a lot higher on Gibson than most. I see Kamara like stud potential in him.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think we'd take Etienne. His skillset is too similar to what we already have in GIbson. If we were to take a RB it'd be Harris but I just don't see that happening. We get more value getting a guy who would be a full time starter at say LT or LB, Harris would be splitting touches with Gibson. But maybe I'm just a lot higher on Gibson than most. I see Kamara like stud potential in him.

I don't think you can get any higher on Gibson than me and @KDawg we both loved Gibson before that draft.  Yet we are among the highest on Najee Harris this year.  IMO, none of this has anything to do with Gibson but wanting a two headed monster at that spot and having a running game that doesn't fall off the cliff when one back gets hurt.  

Been telling you all I wouldn't be surprised if we went CB, Farley was CB #1 in this draft for many before his surgery, teams are assessing the risk now I'm sure but we definitely seem interested. 

Might be ideal if Landon moves to WLB or can essentially play where JOK would have played on this defense. 

Archived