Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not rooting for Dallas to get Pitts.   Gallup, Cooper, Lamb and Pitts?

Yeah their defense is bad.  But in this era of the game offense is more important.  

if they move from 10 to 4, I doubt it would cost them a fortune.  It's not like moving up from where we are.  

If they draft Pitts it would make Koramoah even more appealing to me.  Though I still want a LT first and foremost:  Darrisaw or Jenkins. 

On one hand it looks scary, but on the other hand the only time Dallas has been really good was in 2016 when they had a top 15 defense to go along with their top 5 offense. That offense though was built on a great rushing attack with a great offensive line. They've become mediocre in both of those areas since. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I can’t believe there’s people who wouldn’t want Najee at 19.

I get the no RB argument at the top of the draft, but 19 is far enough where you can take a guy

Getting a bellcow back that you can put some real faith into fits well on this team. It would also provide the luxury of putting Gibson out there for both KR and PR as he did both in Memphis, something they wont do as long as we don't have that force like Najee to fall back on. We currently don't have that guy that is either durable enough, or good enough to provide real push in the run game behind Gibby.

We are probably eyeballing RBs of Najee's ilk so we could totally pick up someone like him in the draft. That is a big time need

Najee is special and more than deserving to be 19

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I don’t know if it’s a big time need. Gibson is pretty good.

Gibby is great and this is not an attempt to replace him, just support him. Takes a bit of the load off of him.

Due to his own quality and versatility, he is pretty much looking at a 2019 CMC level workload if something is not done to alleviate the pressure. As we saw what he was over the season, his touches spiked. We don't have a guy behind him who is durable enough (McK) or good enough (Barber) to fill in for him when he has to miss spot time. No man can reliably take that level of punishment and the little injuries you get along the way eventually catch up.

I think the behind LOS stuff w/ Samuel will help, but hard to say how much.

Replacing Barber with a back that can both be a short yardage back, while still being able to be a bellcow when needed would be big for our O as it helps ensure Gibby's health over the long haul. Also allows you to a lot more off ball things with Gibby, which does not require him to take a hit while still effecting the D is some way.

Gibby is an insane talent and you want to get the ball in his hands a bunch of times a game... just not too many times. Aside from D Henry, the days of a one back carry are pretty much gone, especially moving on to a 17 game season. RB is possibly the most violent position in the sport. Gotta have that second viable back.

50 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I don’t know if it’s a big time need. Gibson is pretty good.

I definitely don't see it as a need, but if we're going BPA, Najee is certainly in the conversation. I would like to address the OL and LB early, but I can't help but imagine the offensive possibilities we'd have with both Gibson and Najee. What's nice about these two is their pass catching abilities allow them both to be on the field simultaneously. It's also nice to have a little insurance in the event of an injury to one of them. But again, I don't think it's as big a need as some other positions. 

26 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Nothing wrong with RB at #19 if it’s the standout BPA. We just need to keep adding the highest quality players across the board. 

I agree. Id love Darrisaw or JOK. But if one of those RBs can eventually be a game changer then that plus our speed at WR would give us a scary offense. I honestly don't know who I like better. Etienne seems like the all around back but Harris seems like a battering ram that can make defenses have to play 8 men in the box which leaves our speedy WRs running wild. This draft can go many ways and make me happy. Harris in the 1st and Jordan in the 2nd. JOK in the 1st Leathwood in the 2nd, Darrisaw in the 1st Cox in the 2nd. Move up and get a QB. Move down and get more picks. Man I can't wait for the draft.

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they move from 10 to 4, I doubt it would cost them a fortune.  It's not like moving up from where we are.

In theory, no, but since they (and Pats) are motivated I would squeeze them to the last drop if I were the Falcons. I would make them pay dearly. I'm really glad we won that last game & made the playoffs, but it does put Dallas in a position to possibly make this move. Unfortunate, but it is what it is. 

BPA weighted with need in the first 3 rounds is important. When it comes to Harris how much better he is than the other RB's in the draft?And how much is the team willing to pay in 5 years for a second contract as apposed to an LT or other position?

8 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

On one hand it looks scary, but on the other hand the only time Dallas has been really good was in 2016 when they had a top 15 defense to go along with their top 5 offense. That offense though was built on a great rushing attack with a great offensive line. They've become mediocre in both of those areas since. 

Their O line was destroyed by injuries last year but they are coming back this season.  Maybe they'd get injured again but we don't know.

They've owned us when Dak played for the most part.  Who do we have on defense that's shutting down Pitts?  I agree with Matt Miller who said the other day if they get Pitts they might have the best offense in the NFC.  I'd give it to Tampa myself.

Maybe I'd root for it if they have to give up the moon but I doubt they would going up just 6 spots. 

9 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Zaven was my early favorite pick for #19. I'm coming back to that and would loves y'alls insight. Two years ago  many of us fell for another Lb Leighton Vander Esch. Interestingly, he was picked at #19. Disregarding LVE's injury issues in the pro's, Who do you feel is a better draft time prospect?  

Zaven for sure.  Vander Esch never won the Bednarik, Lombardi, and Nagurski awards nor was he a unanimous All American like Zaven.

It's been a minute since a linebacker with Zaven's combo of tools and resume has come out.  Manti Teo is the last one with a better trophy room than him, but he wasn't 6'4 and 260 running in the 4.6s.  Previous to that, the only guy with more collegiate awards who actually had good NFL tools was Kuechly in 2011.  Zaven is not Kuechly, but he's special in his own way.  Basically a huge chase and hit linebacker who plays good team ball and sees the whole field and reads the passing game like a quarterback.

If we pick Zaven, it'll be the third guy on our defense who won the Bednarik and Nagurski trophies.  That's pretty crazy.

36 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

BPA weighted with need in the first 3 rounds is important. When it comes to Harris how much better he is than the other RB's in the draft?And how much is the team willing to pay in 5 years for a second contract as apposed to an LT or other position?

Can’t worry about the second contract when you draft a guy. There’s so many factors at play.

You can even say the same for Chase Young still at this juncture. 

Harris would, for the next 5 years, bring a legitimacy to the backfield, take some tread off of Gibson’s tires and let Gibson do what Gibson does: make plays without having to carry the load. 

9 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Zaven was my early favorite pick for #19. I'm coming back to that and would loves y'alls insight. Two years ago  many of us fell for another Lb Leighton Vander Esch. Interestingly, he was picked at #19. Disregarding LVE's injury issues in the pro's, Who do you feel is a better draft time prospect?  

Zaven. He’s probably a touch more “raw” than Vander Esch but he has more physicality. Needs to get to work on block shedding and he has every tool you can want from an inside backer.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

How much better is Etienne and Najee than Javonte Williams?  Seems like a great fit.

He deserves more play in the - WFT needs a RB discussion if the 3-5 round guys aren't good enough . 

I have Harris rated way above all of them.

I think Williams is better overall than Etienne.

I’m not as high on Etienne as many but he is absolutely a major threat out of the backfield and he will help someone. 

Carter, Hubbard, Patterson are other guys who are intriguing.

My two “we aren’t hearing anywhere near enough” guys: CJ Verdell and CJ Marable. 

Pull up YouTube on Verdell. There are some concerns with him about health I believe... but this dude is a baller and 100% a major breakout candidate.

There’s not as much on Marable but I love watching him run.

Just saw Verdell didn’t actually come out I guess... uhhh... well... that’s an issue for my mock draft :ols:

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Does anyone remember the end of last season, when Gibson had the turf toe, and missed some time ?

Our running game became virtually nonexistent during that time.

We cannot afford to allow that to happen again, if we want to be competitive.

So, we need another RB, at least for 1st and 2nd downs generally.

Even when he came back in the Tampa Bay game,  he still didn't have the burst that we were so used to seeing. Our running game still wasn't effective.  He just had too much wear and tear from a lot of use. 

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Can’t worry about the second contract when you draft a guy. There’s so many factors at play.

You can even say the same for Chase Young still at this juncture. 

The value of a second contract for a freakish pass rusher vs a bell-cow running back is a rather large divide. You can point to only one running back recently (Henry) who's value has increased (or even maintained) on a second contract, not so with pass rushers. I would love to have Harris in this team but I can't completely justify it in the first round. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who do we have on defense that's shutting down Pitts? 

The D front puttin Dak on his ass, that's how you solve for Pitts or Cooper, etc.

I am onboard with LB upgrade to exploit the line play, the guys got sooooo close so many times, they're at a tipping point

20 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

The value of a second contract for a freakish pass rusher vs a bell-cow running back is a rather large divide. You can point to only one running back recently (Henry) who's value has increased (or even maintained) on a second contract, not so with pass rushers. I would love to have Harris in this team but I can't completely justify it in the first round. 

The justification is the 5 year rookie deal.

Beyond that no one suggested the value is the same on an edge and a RB. You totally missed that point.

It’s that you don’t know what is going to happen during the tenure. Young may pull a Champ Bailey and never get to the fifth year and need a contract. That’s doubtful, but who knows?

9 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

The D front puttin Dak on his ass, that's how you solve for Pitts or Cooper, etc.

Sounds cool. That didn't always work against the better O lines like Tampa.  Maybe if 60% of Dallas O line gets hurt like last year, Pitts would pose no issues for the defense. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds cool. That didn't always work against the better O lines like Tampa.  Maybe if 60% of Dallas O line gets hurt like last year, Pitts would pose no issues for the defense. 

Yeah, you're right but I've watched/rewatched that game w/ Tampa and the D line splits like a bow wave every time, giving Brady clear sightlines in the middle. An aggressive, capable LB up the gut and into his gut a few times and you change that. Interesting that you brought that game up, it is THE reason that I feel like a top LB would pay great returns. Now some of that is on the coaching/playcalling, but you have to have the card in your hand in order to play it. 

Archived