Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This rise of Jamin Davis is absurd. I like him a lot. LBers don't go early mid first unless they're like Parsons in shorts that matches production and Davis doesn't have the production. 

Two types of teams can gamble on him. The teams that we know are already playoff teams every year and the teams who aren't going to the playoffs in the next decade who are chasing money in the draft. We're a middle team. 

We need absolute starters in this draft. We need runners on base, not a bunch of homerun attempts.

Only problem with this is that if you always go for the safe bets, you're more likely to end up with lots of good players but no stars or game changers. The unicorn prospects who have all of the insane physical talent, as well as polish and production to go along with it are super rare and when they're there, they're generally drafted very high (Chase Young for example). Guys like that don't fall to 19. So at 19 you're more likely to have a choice to make: go for the safer player or for the guy with crazy upside.

• Like 2
Just now, Anselmheifer said:

Chris Simms did a breakdown of his CB and S rankings and loved Tyson Campbell. Does anyone here have a take on him?

My take is that he possesses tremendous raw athletic talent but needs a lot of work in the mental aspects of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

For what its worth, couple of WFT twitter "insiders" are saying as of now, no plans to trade up even if Lance and Fields both available. 

Who, Jsteelz?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IF we don't like Jenkins (think he's only a RT or just a guard), I could see a bidding war to teams wanting him.  Tony Pauline says that the Jets really like him.  If Tennessee (22), NYJ (23), or Pitt (24) really want him, based on historical draft trades, we probably get a 4th and a 6th.  If Keim is right and we might try and get ammo for next year, we'd want a 2022 3rd. A trade might be 19 to NYJ for 23+2021 6th+2022 3rd.

We probably still get a LB at 23 or could trade down again if we don't see a big variance at where we are picking.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If Tennessee (22), NYJ (23), or Pitt (24) really want him, based on historical draft trades, we probably get a 4th and a 6th. 

I'd do that in a heartbeat.  Out of the guys that are projected to be on the board, I don't feel very strongly towards one in particular, so I'd rather trade back and add picks.  In that scenario, we'd be getting the same caliber player at 23 and basically get free 4th and 6th rounders.  

• Like 1

Why Washington's priority in 2021 NFL draft could be finding a left tackle

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Football Team focused on quarterbacks during the offseason and still wants to add its signal-caller for the future. It signed a new starting wide receiver (Curtis Samuel) and added a potential solid player in the slot (Adam Humphries) during NFL free agency. It wants to add more talent at tight end.

But coach Ron Rivera has made it clear: He also wants to build the offensive line, giving the team potentially strong groups up front on both sides of the ball. It's one reason Rivera was reluctant to mortgage Washington's future with a bold trade for a quarterback.

"I don't want to see us get into a situation where we can't put playmakers around our guy, we can't protect our guy," he said. "That's something that we've got to make sure we can do."

What Washington would like most is a starting left tackle. It does have in-house options -- Geron Christian and Cornelius Lucas started there last season and 2020 fourth-round pick Saahdiq Charles can play tackle or guard. However, Washington still wants to add a left tackle. The team could then keep Charles at guard and form a young tandem.

....Washington has the No. 19 overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft (April 29-May 1 in Cleveland, on ESPN and ESPN the App). As ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said on a conference call last week, "This is a deep class." That has been a consensus opinion throughout the draft process, and Washington believes it can land a potential starter at left tackle somewhere in the first three rounds. Considering Washington has four picks in those rounds, it should be able to fill that desire.

In the first round, Virginia Tech's Christian Darrisaw or Oklahoma State's Teven Jenkins could be available at No. 19. Washington wants a more consistent run game and Darrisaw would help the blocking in that area.

This offseason, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said Jenkins has the "ability to adjust to secondary moves. He tests off the charts in terms of work ethic and character.

Because of the depth at this position, if a player Washington really wants is gone at No. 19 and the team feels good about multiple players still available, it could trade back and accrue more picks -- whether in this draft or in 2022. If the quarterback of the future can't be found this spring, a future pick could be used to move up next year. And keep in mind: If Washington improves this season, as it expects to, it would be picking lower next year and therefore need more picks to trade up.

...Trade for Orlando Brown Jr.

The Baltimore Ravens starter wants to be traded so he can play left tackle, but landing him could be costly. Baltimore knows it can get a third-round compensatory pick for him if he leaves via free agency after this season. So it could cost a second-round pick plus another pick to pry him loose now. Then Brown would need to be signed to an extension. Otherwise, it's a wasted trade. He could end up manning the position for a long time in Washington, but the cost would be steeper than drafting a player.

Also, because Washington would be paying Brown, it could make it hard to then work out a long-term deal with right guard Brandon Scherff. That would be a lot of money to invest on the offensive line when considering future contracts that will be needed to keep the team's young defensive linemen as well as wide receiver Terry McLaurin.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/41273/why-washingtons-priority-in-the-2021-nfl-draft-could-be-finding-a-left-tackle

Sign a veteran

There's one quality starter who is still available in free agency -- Alejandro Villanueva. Washington would consider him, but not until after the draft. If the team doesn't land a quality tackle in the draft, then Villanueva becomes an option. He has started every game in Pittsburgh for the past five seasons and would give Washington a solid player as a two-time Pro Bowler. But signing him could mean having to find a future starter at the position in 2022. And, if Washington doesn't land a left tackle because it had to surrender draft picks in a trade to move up for a quarterback this year, for example, then finding a starter could be harder next year.

What's clear is that finding a left tackle will remain important for Washington. Rivera said he wants to build a sustainable winning culture; for him, that includes a strong offensive line.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
10 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

A better Preston Smith. I dont think he’s Montez Athletic but he’s really good. Haven’t seen the numbers but Montez is an alien. 

He’s going to be a great day 2 pick for someone, did’t run the 40 but his measurable’s and short running drill numbers are almost exactly the same as Sweat. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Wonder who that LB is

Any takes on him?

Great pass rusher/off-ball backer who excels outside the box. Athlete. Downhill on the edge. Doesn’t take on blocks all that well. Isn’t a physical inside road grinder. Not a great cover guy. 

2nd best OSU LB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Great pass rusher/off-ball backer who excels outside the box. Athlete. Downhill on the edge. Doesn’t take on blocks all that well. Isn’t a physical inside road grinder. Not a great cover guy. 

2nd best OSU LB

Do you think he'd fit our defensive scheme?

If I combine Keim's report by I believe it was Standig who said they have some top targets at LT but if they are gone they likely will go elsewhere at the pick.   The things mentioned was trading down possibly.  Maybe LB.  they don't completely rule out WR.

Gives the vibe that you'd expect at picking 19 which is you have to play out multiple scenarios because the draft will unfold in ways they can't predict.

The most common points though have been LT, LB. TE.   QB if one is within reach.  And FS/RB.  

It doesn't feel like Najee Harris.  But I am with the people here that he'd be my top pick if it were me.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Do you think he'd fit our defensive scheme?

Not particularly. His coverage can be good at times so he’s not awful there but his skill set doesn’t really fit a nickel backers skill set and he’s not currently an inside guy.

Now... could he develop there? Lots of inside info needed to put that together that we don’t have... he definitely has the instincts but I’m not sure.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I combine Keim's report by I believe it was Standig who said they have some top targets at LT but if they are gone they likely will go elsewhere at the pick.   The things mentioned was trading down possibly.  Maybe LB.  they don't completely rule out WR.

Gives the vibe that you'd expect at picking 19 which is you have to play out multiple scenarios because the draft will unfold in ways they can't predict.

The most common points though have been LT, LB. TE.   QB if one is within reach.  And FS/RB.  

It doesn't feel like Najee Harris.  But I am with the people here that he'd be my top pick if it were me.

I think what I am picking up is that we would love to trade up from #19 for a QB, but we don’t want to trade away many picks from this year with the draft being deep at need spots. So a trade of #19 plus a 2022 first and third perhaps. Maybe more. That still leaves us this year with say 2,3,3,4,5,7,7 in 2021.

Could even add a 3rd from this year, leaving 2,3,4,5,7,7 - can still add some very good prospects with that.

That also falls in line with us thinking there is a ton of depth at OT and LB for example. Doesn’t need to be addressed in the first.

We have significant cap space in 2022 to add a couple of free agents and re-sign players.

I really hope we go after Lance. Fitz with Lance in waiting. What a great thought. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think what I am picking up is that we would love to trade up from #19 for a QB, but we don’t want to trade away many picks from this year with the draft being deep at need spots. So a trade of #19 plus a 2022 first and third perhaps. Maybe more. That still leaves us this year with say 2,3,3,4,5,7,7 in 2021.

Could even add a 3rd from this year, leaving 2,3,4,5,7,7 - can still add some very good prospects with that.

That also falls in line with us thinking there is a ton of depth at OT and LB for example. Doesn’t need to be addressed in the first.

We have significant cap space in 2022 to add a couple of free agents and re-sign players.

I really hope we go after Lance. Fitz with Lance in waiting. What a great thought. 

Yeah agree. the QB point is similar what I said the other day.  If they can trade up for a QB without going too crazy at giving up the farm, they likely do it.    But the beat guys seem more pessimistic than optimisitc it happens because they seem to feel that a QB won't drop in the range where they wouldn't have to give up a ton.  But you don't know until it plays out.

It feels like they are more hopped up on getting a LT than a LB but if none of their top LTs are on the board at 19, then they try to trade down or consider a LB or less likely a WR or FS.

In the 2nd and 3rd they seem to be eyeing a TE.

The thing that is being said that confuses me some if apparently they like the depth in the draft at both LT and LB.  Why keeping making that point?  I presume its related to them getting a Qb doesn't spell the end to those spots?

It also feels the same as some of us here say (including myself) that they take Darrisaw at 19 if he's there.  The Keim tweet I posted here sort of implies that.

I am probably thinking too hard about this but its fun for me so can't help it.  Also these type of reports I take much more seriously in the days leading to the draft versus now.  Keim in particular tends to have really good nuggets often on the money right before the action.  

You'd figure they also haven't landed hard on an opinion yet so the targets might be still moving. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing that is being said that confuses me some if apparently they like the depth in the draft at both LT and LB.  Why keeping making that point?  I presume its related to them getting a Qb doesn't spell the end to those spots?

I would say so.

You could also trade for Orlando Brown, pay him and plug him in at LT, trade Scherff, recover an element of draft capital and cap space, add a guard. Or, and what I found interesting, was RR saying Charles looks great in rehab, watches him each day, and he can easily play left and right side of the line........

2 hours ago, Panninho said:

Any takes on him?

That that twitter guy's take on him is embarrassingly bad.  He's good for a splashy play a game or two but Browning has awful instincts and really struggles to read and react, and he's struggled with this from freshman to senior season even though that staff tried everything they could to move him around, simplify the game for him, and streamline his role to get him playing faster.  Nothing really worked, but he was at least better this year playing as a man cover guy (see that TE? You follow him) and a blitzer.

Browning was a super duper five star recruit coming out of HS, and he's still got special athleticism.  But he's just not smart enough to put it all together and be a good player.  I don't feel good panning the kid like that, but the hyper athlete linebacker with awful instincts is one of the most common types of draft day busts.  He's a day three player who is going to get picked early on day 2 because of his testing, best to stay away.

Saying he's better than Roquan was is laughable.  He's not even on the same planet as Roquan was.  We've all done it though, I'm hoping nobody ever takes the time to hunt down my dumbest takes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I think the draft lines up really well to get a WR in rounds 2-7, if BPA. I keep ending up with Elijah Moore with our 2nd (could be a late first, compared to Tyler Lockett), Dyami Brown from UNC,etc.

Any favorite slot WR (or any WRs) for us?

Now that Rondale Moore from Purdue measured 5’7, he should drop a bit. Very strong, thickly built, athletic player we could convert him to RB like Gibson.

We definitely need help at WR, even with the FA signings, especially a slot/KR/PR.

7 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I think the draft lines up really well to get a WR in rounds 2-7, if BPA. I keep ending up with Elijah Moore with our 2nd (could be a late first, compared to Tyler Lockett), Dyami Brown from UNC,etc.

Any favorite slot WR (or any WRs) for us?

Now that Rondale Moore from Purdue measured 5’7, he should drop a bit. Very strong, thickly built, athletic player we could convert him to RB like Gibson.

We definitely need help at WR, even with the FA signings, especially a slot/KR/PR.

Ihmir Smith-Marsette was one I have seen us linked to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Najee Harris in first.

Elijah Moore in 2nd.

Tremble in 3rd.

Werner in 3rd.

Fill the rest of the holes through free agency next year.

And go all in (trading future draft capital on vet/draft pick) next year on Qb.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not a great cover guy. 

2nd best OSU LB

Somehow, I can't see how Browning can be the best off-ball LB he's ever evaluated and not be great in coverage. I thought the whole allure to the off-ball LB was to play Will, and cover the speedy slot guys or stacked #2. 

13 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Chris Simms did a breakdown of his CB and S rankings and loved Tyson Campbell. Does anyone here have a take on him?

Developmental project with significant upside.  Former super recruit who went to the same High School as Surtain and Anthony Schwartz and was almost as fast as Schwartz in the 100 M.  Schwartz is legitimately one of the fastest players in CFB, if not the fastest, and is an Olympic caliber sprinter.  Not as good as Surtain was coming out of HS, but almost as good and almost as highly ranked as a recruit.  Seemed to be on the track to CFB stardom as a Freshman starter, but never quite put it all together at Georgia--the story of a lot of the recruiting coups they've gotten...

Stokes was noticeably better than him this season to my eye.  Stokes is a good prospect in his own right, but he's very limited by his stringy build and marginal play strength.  Stokes is not one of those skinny-strong guys like Devonta Smith or Rondale Moore, he's just skinny.  Streamlined build with no lower-body mass at all, just built for speed.  But his speed is special and there is basically no one in the sport that can run away from him.

Well, Campbell is almost as fast, but he's got a bigger frame and has thicker legs and more functional power.  I think it's illuminating to see the difference in the quality of the Georgia and Alabama coaching staffs in the different levels of development between Surtain and Campbell as both enter the draft.  They came out of the same HS program where they were presumably getting the same level of coaching, and some services considered Campbell the superior player at the time.  Now Surtain is basically NFL ready and has gotten as far as you can go at the college level with mastery of route recognition, transition footwork, press-technique and release recognition, run support technique, consistency of motor/effort, etc.  Campbell is still a raw prospect at all of those things who doesn't look significantly better at them now than he did as a Freshman.  There is just a fundamentally different level of professionalism and competitiveness between the Alabama and Georgia programs, and I think it's the single biggest reason why Georgia can't get over the hump against them because they are recruiting just as well.

It looks like the Ohio State DBs come out much better taught and developed than the Georgia guys too.

Anyway, there is college polish and excellence and NFL polish and excellence and they are a long way from each other.  And even super polished and talented corner prospects can struggle as young players (Okudah) because man coverage is such a different animal at the next level.  I think a good coaching staff could make something good out of Campbell over time, but I think he is solidly behind the first two tiers of players at his position (Newsome, Horn, Surtain, Farley, Stokes, etc.) and is in that clump of players with Samuel and the Syracuse guys in like a third round range.  That's where I would feel comfortable taking on a multi-year project like him.  There is no way he would be BPA for me at pretty much any point in the second round.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1