Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

47 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Parsons could be a Cam Newton type of personality that got caught up in a bad group. It happens. If we draft him, he'll be in a very strong locker room and football first, which might be special for him, but who knows.

No surprises there.

lol, I guess we all have our favorite linebackers.  Judging by rumors-buzz its hard for me to tell where these guys are going to go.  It's all over the place including on Parsons.

For me if Parson's checks out, then he'd be my #1 LB.

But if buzz on Jamin or Zaven has any accuracy to it along with concerns about Parsons then he might drop especially if one of the other linebackers go early.  As I've mentioned here, i am no odd outlier on Jamin.  There are some who have Jamin go around our pick and even before our pick.    Ditto Zaven.  I really doubt three linebackers go before 19. 

Parsons to me has the least questions among the top LBs.  He to me is the closest to being a Chase Young level freak at that spot.  Not Jamin.  Not Zaven.

I'd rather go LT at 19.  But Parsons might change that take for me as long as they feel ok about his character which is a big if. 

Some Grade Jamin Davis Over Micah Parsons

Updated April 7, 2021
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

For the entire leadup to the 2021 NFL Draft, Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons has been the presumed top rated linebacker and an expected high pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. This spring, however, some teams have soured on Parsons because of his disappointing tape and concerns about his character. Multiple team sources have said their teams have Kentucky linebacker Jamin Davis graded higher than Parsons and they would not be shocked if Davis is the first linebacker drafted.

"Parsons has traits, but I was disappointed when I watched the tape," said an AFC director of player personnel. "I thought I was going to see a Devin White-caliber player; [Parsons] definitely is not. I really like Davis. I wouldn't be shocked if he goes in the first round, maybe even top 20."

Parsons created a lot of media buzz with his great pro-day workout, but that was expected because he was a known workout warrior with an excellent combination of size, speed, explosion and athleticism. Davis came through with an amazing pro day of his own, and some team sources whose teams are picking high in the second round think Davis won't get to their picks. In the 40-yard dash, Davis put up shocking times, with unofficial marks of 4.41 and 4.37 seconds. Those would be superb times for a wide receiver, but for a linebacker, they are incredible. Davis also illustrated his explosion with a 42-inch vertical leap and an 11-foot broad jump. The 6-foot-3, 234-pound Davis also produced an impressive 2020 season of tape that has caused him to steadily rise.

It only takes one team to fall in love, and both of these linebackers have great skill sets. Parsons could still be the first linebacker drafted, but some teams think Davis is the better player and would prefer to draft him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

In addition to Moss, Caleb Brantley is a surprise release. Before he took the year off due to Covid, he was a reliable contributor. I was wondering if he could even play some edge if Kerrigan isn't re-signed.

Yeah Brantley is a bit of a surprise to me.  I honestly expected him to be part of the rotation this year.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Based on draft value chart and just because...

Tenn:  I think 19 for 22 and 100 could work (3rd round comp pick). [we net 5 points based on chart]

Jets: 19 for 23, 107 and 146 (4.2 and 5.2 added) {we net 16 points on chart]  Here I might swap 5th for future 4th if I'm WFT

Jets: 19 and 163 for 34, 66, 107.  (2.2, 3.2, 4.2 lose 5th).  [Near even, takes us outside of first round]  Jets get 3 1sts, I might try and make 3.2 2022 2nd.

Pitt: 19 for 24, 87. (added 3rd)

Pitt 2 more spots for higher third makes most sense really (depending on how many guys we like).

They have mentioned future picks in a trade down, so maybe dropping to 2nd to get future 2nd from Jets could yield a high pick for next year.

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As for Keim saying they'd chase RB depth.  Guessing 4th-5th round?

One of my guys during the college season was Rhamondre Stevenson who I see has other fans here too.  He and Sermon are my favorite sort of poor man's Najee Harris type.  I'd take Sermon over Stevenson but I think Sermon is likely gone by the early 3rd. 

I also really like Khalil Herbert.  Maybe Chubba Hubbard.

I am guessing it would be RBs like that on the menu if they are looking for a depth guy?

Stevenson and Herbert are already 23.  Hubbard 21.  Normally I don't care that much but running backs are typically spent by the time they approach 30.  Some of that is about how much tread they have on their tires.

Stevenson is 230 pounds and change just like Najee and can move well for his size but IMO not as fast as Najee. 

17 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Based on draft value chart and just because...

Tenn:  I think 19 for 22 and 100 could work (3rd round comp pick). [we net 5 points based on chart]

Jets: 19 for 23, 107 and 146 (4.2 and 5.2 added) {we net 16 points on chart]  Here I might swap 5th for future 4th if I'm WFT

Jets: 19 and 163 for 34, 66, 107.  (2.2, 3.2, 4.2 lose 5th).  [Near even, takes us outside of first round]  Jets get 3 1sts, I might try and make 3.2 2022 2nd.

Pitt: 19 for 24, 87. (added 3rd)

Pitt 2 more spots for higher third makes most sense really (depending on how many guys we like).

They have mentioned future picks in a trade down, so maybe dropping to 2nd to get future 2nd from Jets could yield a high pick for next year.

Tevin Jenkins blocking for Derrick Henry would be a sight to see.  I can see why the Titans would want Jenkins. 

• Like 3

Let me be clear with my take, Ive said it from the beginning our best move if the top 3 OT’s aren’t there is to trade down.  I think Zaven is the “safest” of the LB group. I think he’ll be a multi time probowler throughout his career. But the other 3 LB’s are really really good too. And I see no reason not to take any of them. Jamin is the rawest but good in a lot of areas, JOK the most dynamic/explosive but you need a real plan for him and where he plays, and Parsons may be the riskiest but also if he puts it together may be great. I’d be fine with any of them. 

If we are going OT make it an LT or pass. If we take TJ our FO better know he can play LT.  Darrisaw is a given. 

Assuming the OT’s are gone, it comes down to CB and LB for me. If one of the offensive weapons dont drop to us. So it’s Horn/Farley or one of the LB’s. Could totally understand if we went CB too. So many options, so fluid.

It all goes out the window if we trade up for a QB. 

18 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Let me be clear with my take, Ive said it from the beginning our best move if the top 3 OT’s aren’t there is to trade down.  I think Zaven is the “safest” of the LB group. I think he’ll be a multi time probowler throughout his career. But the other 3 LB’s are really really good too. And I see no reason not to take any of them. Jamin is the rawest but good in a lot of areas, JOK the most dynamic/explosive but you need a real plan for him and where he plays, and Parsons may be the riskiest but also if he puts it together may be great. I’d be fine with any of them. 

I agree that Zaven might be the safest.   I don't always agree with the dude below - see tweet.  He fancies himself as a draft guru.  He's a bigger Jamin guy from what i can tell than Zaven.  But to me I think his point below is the operative one for me as for the LBs.   And its the point I've been trying to make. 

Jamin and Zaven in particular are very different flavors with different strengths and weaknesses.  I strongly disagree when I read a Robocop type sell on Zaven, that he's a stud in every way possible.  So I come off a bit of a hater on that front.  But i am far from a Zaven hater.   Zaven brings much to the table. 

Jamin brings a different flavor.  As does Parsons.    It's really about what you are looking for.    I am primarily looking for a sideline to sideline LB with mega range to prevent big runs and stop screens while is also not a liability in the passing game.   And unlike some here, I do care some about their ability to rush the passer especially factoring Del Rio's scheme. 

If we are going OT make it an LT or pass. If we take TJ our FO better know he can play LT.  Darrisaw is a given. 

Agree. I want a tackle not a guard.  i am not worried about Jenkins plaiying LT but I'll leave the FO to figure that out.  Trent played RT too before he came here.   He's not the only one transitioned from RT to LT.  Ironically some say that Darrisaw is a better RT for whatever reason.  Keim addressed that in his last podcast saying the WFT is one of the teams that likes Darrisaw at LT.

Assuming the OT’s are gone, it comes down to CB and LB for me. If one of the offensive weapons dont drop to us. So it’s Horn/Farley or one of the LB’s. Could totally understand if we went CB too. So many options, so fluid.

It all goes out the window if we trade up for a QB. 

I'd want to trade down if possible.  If no LT, CB and LB are fine.  I'd be open then also to WR and a FS like Moehrig.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

How good is Moehrig? I've heard nothing about him but one of the big names on NFL.com mocked him to us. He doesn't project to be a star or anything.

Personally I think he is going to be good.  I did a couple longish posts on him including one yesterday.  

He played split safety-- a lot of quarters.  He played some slot.  Some say he wouldn't be a good single high safety and needs to stick to the scheme they played him at TCU.  I disagree.

IMO he has really good range.  Great instincts in the passing game.  Good change of direction/recovery speed.  

Can play in the box and stop the run well IMO but needs to polish that part of his game as to missed tackles.  But he's aggressive when he plays in the box. 

In short, he is really smooth FS.  He is not a freak physically.  But comes off like a really smart player.  He seems to have a good idea of the opposing team's passing game.  Seems to be at the right place at the right time.  Doesn't get easily fooled.    If we want to put a stop to teams completing big passes against us (which was a problem last season) he'd be a good player to stop that bleeding IMO. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Personally I think he is going to be good.  I did a couple longish posts on him including one yesterday.  

He played split safety-- a lot of quarters.  He played some slot.  Some say he wouldn't be a good single high safety and needs to stick to the scheme they played him at TCU.  I disagree.

IMO he has really good range.  Great instincts in the passing game.  Good change of direction/recovery speed.  

Can play in the box and stop the run well IMO but needs to polish that part of his game as to missed tackles.  But he's aggressive when he plays in the box. 

In short, he is really smooth FS.  He is not a freak physically.  But comes off like a really smart player.  He seems to have a good idea of the opposing team's passing game.  Seems to be at the right place at the right time.  Doesn't get easily fooled.    If we want to put a stop to teams completing big passes against us (which was a problem last season) he'd be a good player to stop that bleeding IMO. 

Sounds good. I don't know though if its worth going after a FS unless you're getting an Ed Reed type. With our front four we just need someone who's half decent back there.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

How does that work if he was injured in college?  (I'm not criticizing; I really have no idea and would like to know.)  Does WFT have an obligation to keep on the roster or injury-settle with him?

Doesn't matter. 

Once you have accrued three seasons you have the retirement benefits.

Make or break for him. If that knee isn't super fantastic, he is probably IR'ed. He could ask for an injury settlement and look for another NFL spot, but then risks missing out on accruing his third season. 

We've seen team at this two year mark that could have released said player and keep the around for that extra time to help them hit the target. 

Zavens hometown is going to have a draft watch party on day 1 and day 2 at the HS Stadium. I think I'll gear up in WFT stuff and go. Should be fun even if we don't draft him. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

Zavens hometown is going to have a draft watch party on day 1 and day 2 at the HS Stadium. I think I'll gear up in WFT stuff and go. Should be fun even if we don't draft him. 

That’s awesome, totally go! Send fliks and let him know a ton of us love his game and are Rooting for him to have a great career as long as it’s not with the other teams in the nfc East.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Payton Turner putting up Montez Sweat comparable numbers on his pro day.  

A better Preston Smith. I dont think he’s Montez Athletic but he’s really good. Haven’t seen the numbers but Montez is an alien. 

• Like 2

This rise of Jamin Davis is absurd. I like him a lot. LBers don't go early mid first unless they're like Parsons in shorts that matches production and Davis doesn't have the production. 

Two types of teams can gamble on him. The teams that we know are already playoff teams every year and the teams who aren't going to the playoffs in the next decade who are chasing money in the draft. We're a middle team. 

We need absolute starters in this draft. We need runners on base, not a bunch of homerun attempts.

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sounds good. I don't know though if its worth going after a FS unless you're getting an Ed Reed type. With our front four we just need someone who's half decent back there.

Hes more of an earl Thomas type that can just lock the back half down or sneak up and surprise you. 

Draft him and your secondary is good for the next ten years. He's a top 3 pick for me.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Panninho said:

I first want to see how good their O-line really is at this point. Zach Martin missed half of last season but he is probably still going to be great. But how good is T. Smith still? He hasn't played a full season since 2015 and his PFF rating (fwiw) has gone down ever since. Last year he had a 67.8 which is average. La'el Collins had 4 mediocre seasons and one great season and then he missed all of last season with an injury. Connor Wiliams is so far an average starter at Guard and Pff ranked Biadasz 32nd out of 36 Centers and he missed half the season with an injury.

While this line still has all the talent in the world, it has just as many question marks and might turn out to be nothing special anymore.

Based on this, I would be expecting Dalass to be taking Sewell if they trade up to #4, not Pitts. Being Jerruh, they will probably take Pitts. I really thank the Lord for whatever has kept Dan Snyder out of the program this year. We will finally get to see professional men with eyes for talent and serious poker-faces run the draft rather than a monkey and a balloon. 

7 minutes ago, mudhog said:

Based on this, I would be expecting Dalass to be taking Sewell if they trade up to #4, not Pitts. Being Jerruh, they will probably take Pitts. I really thank the Lord for whatever has kept Dan Snyder out of the program this year. We will finally get to see professional men with eyes for talent and serious poker-faces run the draft rather than a monkey and a balloon. 

We joke but Jerruh doesn't really run the show anymore and their drafting has gotten much better because of it. If this were like 2008 Jerruh absolutely I could see Dallas moving up and mortgaging the future for Pitts but I don't see it right now. I think they sit at 10 and take Surtain which sucks because he's gonna be a stud.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hes more of an earl Thomas type that can just lock the back half down or sneak up and surprise you. 

Draft him and your secondary is good for the next ten years. He's a top 3 pick for me.

I mean Earl Thomas might have been HOF bound before injuries and he went kinda coo coo off the field. If this kid is Earl Thomas I'd run to the podium.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, KDawg said:

If we went Darrisaw/Werner in rd 1/2 I’d be ecstatic. 

Follow that up with Amari Rodgers for a slot, Cisco if he falls even a little bit (or Sterns!) at free... And then snagging a back later like a Stevenson... heart be still.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me I'd throw in a TE like Freiermuth or Jordan in that mix or Tremble in the third too.

This combo it would be incredible. I doubt Freiermuth would be in play but:

Darrisaw

Werner

Brevin/Tremble

Rodgers

Cisco

Stevenson

WOW. and still room for Shane....lol

4 hours ago, dswerdlw said:

In addition to Moss, Caleb Brantley is a surprise release. Before he took the year off due to Covid, he was a reliable contributor. I was wondering if he could even play some edge if Kerrigan isn't re-signed.

They were the two that jumped out to me also. I expected Brantley would make the team. and Moss had talent and an incredible blocker, may have ate his way off the team

Does this mean Baugh will he the #3 TE as the blocker with a receiving TE as a day 2 draft pick as is being rumored?

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We joke but Jerruh doesn't really run the show anymore and their drafting has gotten much better because of it. If this were like 2008 Jerruh absolutely I could see Dallas moving up and mortgaging the future for Pitts but I don't see it right now. I think they sit at 10 and take Surtain which sucks because he's gonna be a stud.

I mean Earl Thomas might have been HOF bound before injuries and he went kinda coo coo off the field. If this kid is Earl Thomas I'd run to the podium.

As I recall, Jerry did the draft from his yacht last year and refused to allow any of his scouts to be there to ensure that they wouldn't try to talk him out of who he wanted to pick.  Am I not remembering that correctly?

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I can see that.  He's not who I want at 19 but wouldn't hate it.  He has some ball hawking skills but not like an Ed Reed IMO. 

• Like 2

I can’t think of a better non-trade draft than:

1. Darrisaw, LT VT

2. Friermuth, TE PSU

3. Werner, LB OSU

3. Trey Smith, G Tenn
4. Stevenson, RB Oklahoma

5. Cooper, DE OSU

Problem is I don’t think those 3 initial picks would be available at our pick. 

Nice alternative would be:

1. Collins, LB Tulsa

2. Leatherwood, LT Bama

3. Brevin Jordan

3. Smith

4. Stevenson 

5. Cooper 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I can’t think of a better non-trade draft than:

1. Darrisaw, LT VT

2. Friermuth, TE PSU

3. Werner, LB OSU

3. Trey Smith, G Tenn
4. Stevenson, RB Oklahoma

5. Cooper, DE OSU

Problem is I don’t think those 3 initial picks would be available at our pick. 

Nice alternative would be:

1. Collins, LB Tulsa

2. Leatherwood, LT Bama

3. Brevin Jordan

3. Smith

4. Stevenson 

5. Cooper 

Like Cooper late! Also Darius Stills from the DL who I have begun to notice after he was mentioned a couple times by media and labeled as meeting with WFT

Did two mock simulations.   The Draft Network isn't the be all and end all but I find the shifts on their board over time interesting.

In both runs Darrisaw was gone.  They have Zaven and Jamin rated about the same, Zaven three slots ahead.  Both dudes were available when I picked at 19.  The best tackle available who they rated ahead of both linebackers was Tevin Jenkins.  I am a big Jenkins guy so I took him.

I like @KDawg's guy, Werner, if I can get him later at LB.  But he wasn't there either time in the third.  I took him in the 2nd in my 2nd mock.  My favorite TEs after them I think there is a drop off:  Freiermuth, Tremble, Jordan.  I had my pick of them in the 2nd but they were gone in the third. 

Plenty of WR depth.  When you do the simulations it brings home that IMO you don't have to take a WR early.  

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 7.51.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 7.57.56 PM.png

• Like 3