Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Gibson is the guy though...

I think I'd rather a day 3 pick ala Alfred Morris for that role.

1 - Gibson 

2 - McKissic (3rd down back)

3 - Day 3 pick

4th RB/6th WR

Think the needs at LT and MLB with the draft history of the coaching/personnel do not leave any room for a RB early in the draft. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds cool. That didn't always work against the better O lines like Tampa.  Maybe if 60% of Dallas O line gets hurt like last year, Pitts would pose no issues for the defense. 

I first want to see how good their O-line really is at this point. Zach Martin missed half of last season but he is probably still going to be great. But how good is T. Smith still? He hasn't played a full season since 2015 and his PFF rating (fwiw) has gone down ever since. Last year he had a 67.8 which is average. La'el Collins had 4 mediocre seasons and one great season and then he missed all of last season with an injury. Connor Wiliams is so far an average starter at Guard and Pff ranked Biadasz 32nd out of 36 Centers and he missed half the season with an injury.

While this line still has all the talent in the world, it has just as many question marks and might turn out to be nothing special anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Yeah, you're right but I've watched/rewatched that game w/ Tampa and the D line splits like a bow wave every time, giving Brady clear sightlines in the middle. An aggressive, capable LB up the gut and into his gut a few times and you change that. Interesting that you brought that game up, it is THE reason that I feel like a top LB would pay great returns. Now some of that is on the coaching/playcalling, but you have to have the card in your hand in order to play it. 

I am ok with a LB I am just not as high on them as some here. 

I like Zaven but i don't think he's the Greek God/Chase Young version of LBs that some here do.  I gushed a lot initially about Zaven but backed off on some of it over time as I digested more.  I was over the top probably about Chase Young last year. :ols:  So I am going to try to avoid coming off like a killjoy on Zaven.   And you never know.  He's a talented dude.   It's possible. But personally I don't see Zaven as a transformative player.  But as I've said I feel a little invested in Zaven because I am pretty sure I hyped him first.  I am just not as in love with him as a prospect as some.  But I really like him.

I like Jamin a little bit more than Zaven as a fit here because I trust him more against the run and he has distinctly better range.  I think weakside linebacker is a big problem.  That requires more of a LB with sidline to sideline range.    I think his speed/agility is freakish and his open field tackling is IMO excellent.  And I rewatched the Tampa game too and a sneaky thing that helped beat us was Fournette and teammates with over 100 yards.  Tampa could keep us guessing in part because they were so balanced.   Alfred Morris averaged 7.5 YPC in a game against us.  The Giants jags if I recall put up 150 yards on the ground in a game against us. But Jamin to me is new to the spot and is a bit raw as for diagnosing plays.  19 seems a bit rich for me to get him. 

If I went LB, I'd lean Koramoah who IMO could be the next Derwin James but he's not my top target either.   

So even though that screams take one of the LBs, I don't see either LB that head and shoulders over the next tier or feel intimidated to find a LB in the let's say the 2nd or third round the way I do at left tackle.    The left tackle spot is much harder to find later in the draft. 

LT is a more premium spot than LB.  Having a stud LT on a cheap contract for the next 5 years would be a team windfall considering how much they cost which is more than the typical linebacker.  Moses and Lucas will be FAs if I recall in a year and will be in their 30s.  Tackle can quickly become a code red spot.  It's a unique draft in that a top tackle could be available at 19.

Teams can more easily survive mediocre LB play than O line play. So for me its Darrisaw if he's there or Jenkins at 19. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
19 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I first want to see how good their O-line really is at this point. Zach Martin missed half of last season but he is probably still going to be great. But how good is T. Smith still? He hasn't played a full season since 2015 and his PFF rating (fwiw) has gone down ever since. Last year he had a 67.8 which is average. La'el Collins had 4 mediocre seasons and one great season and then he missed all of last season with an injury. Connor Wiliams is so far an average starter at Guard and Pff ranked Biadasz 32nd out of 36 Centers and he missed half the season with an injury.

While this line still has all the talent in the world, it has just as many question marks and might turn out to be nothing special anymore.

OK, I got so much interest debating it.  If people want Kyle Pitts to be wearing a Cowboys uniform next season, OK.  I am going on the record that i seriously doubt I will enjoy watching Pitts play for the Cowboys if that happens.  

But I admit I am biased.   I see Pitts as a freakish talent, Hall of Fame type if he can stay heallthy.   I noticed for the last month the national media has been gushing nonstop about Pitts being an alien level freakish talent.  I've been on that train for a long time.  Pitts to me is unbelievable.  And no I don't want to see him playing us twice a season. 

• Like 3

I'm curious where things fall draft day but there is a feeling I'm getting that 19 may have a sizable group of guys we'd like to consider but not a slam dunk (obviously we'll see). 

I'm hoping that a player that matches up well with GB, Buf, KC falls there and we can add a 2nd.  I think this gives us a good shot at 1 top LB and then gives us options in round 2.

1 minute ago, jsharrin55 said:

I'm curious where things fall draft day but there is a feeling I'm getting that 19 may have a sizable group of guys we'd like to consider but not a slam dunk (obviously we'll see). 

I'm hoping that a player that matches up well with GB, Buf, KC falls there and we can add a 2nd.  I think this gives us a good shot at 1 top LB and then gives us options in round 2.

For me I can't recall a draft where there are so many guys I'd consider and I don't feel that married to anyone of them.  Darrisaw is my top pick but not because I think he's perfect but IMO he's as good of a talent as you can get at LT that could fall as far as 19. 

But my prefered thing is to trade down.  The problem is if other teams likewise see the talent pool so similar at the range of our pick why would they trade up?    Maybe KC for a tackle?

• Like 1

I just can't see Dallas moving up for Pitts. Maybe in the olden days when Jerruh was running things but their FO is actually not that stupid anymore. Stephen Jones is pretty smart and Will McClay is one of the better execs. They'll address D most likely.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, I got so much interest debating it.  If people want Kyle Pitts to be wearing a Cowboys uniform next season, OK.  I am going on the record that i seriously doubt I will enjoy watching Pitts play for the Cowboys if that happens.  

But I admit I am biased.   I see Pitts as a freakish talent, Hall of Fame type if he can stay heallthy.   I noticed for the last month the national media has been gushing nonstop about Pitts being an alien level freakish talent.  I've been on that train for a long time.  Pitts to me is unbelievable.  And no I don't want to see him playing us twice a season. 

I’d rather see them get Pitts than Sewell. By a mile. 

In terms of LB that can blitz, Parsons is the best blitzer by a mile. Watch that Memphis game. He would add such a dynamic force to our defense. I’m grabbing him if I get the chance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

How much better is Etienne and Najee than Javonte Williams?

Significantly.  Williams is a nice prospect who had a nice year, but Etienne and Harris entered historic territory with their careers.  Alabama is the type of school where it means something to be the best RB in program history, and Etienne finished his career as indisputably the best running back in ACC history.

The reason to pick Etienne or Harris at 19 instead of waiting to target a lesser talent like Javonte is because they're special and represent the clear cut BPA choice.  If we sit down and make a list of who are the ten best players in this class based on their actual careers--no projections based on age or assumed upside, no weighting for position value, no nitpicking for obscure traits, etc.--just an up and down who are the best players list, Etienne and Harris are making that list.  Zach Wilson and Trey Lance and Rashawn Slater and Patrick Surtain and Jaycee Horn and Christian Darrisaw aren't making it.  It'd be:

1 - Lawrence

2 - Sewell

3 - Smith

4 - Chase

5 - Harris

6 - Etienne

7 - Pitts

8 - Fields

9 - Collins

10 - Moehrig

Obviously upside projections and position value bake into draft stock, but I think it's helpful to keep a list like that in mind throughout the draft process so you don't get stuck over thinking things and pass over superstars who were dominant college players and end up being All Pros at the next level.  That's how things like Lamar Jackson falling to pick 32 and Derek Henry falling to pick 45 happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’d rather see them get Pitts than Sewell. By a mile. 

In terms of LB that can blitz, Parsons is the best blitzer by a mile. Watch that Memphis game. He would add such a dynamic force to our defense. I’m grabbing him if I get the chance. 

Not me. 

Confident in the DEs for the foreseeable future. The LBs and safeties....not so much. 

As far as Parsons goes, I think he'll go in the top 15 when it's all said and done. Nothing to worry about or get excited about. 

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Zaven but i don't think he's the Greek God/Chase Young version of LBs that some here do. 

I recognize that you aren't as high on Zaven's tools as I am, but I think you're underestimating his traits a bit.  I think Zaven is one of five physically superior prospects in the class who wed their gifts with big time play:

- Najee

- Zaven

- Lawrence

- Sewell

- Pitts

Those names don't necessarily line up with RAS superiority, they are derived from the on field performance in the context of all of the players I've watched this year.  I think there is a very strong sense from watching these guys that the game is uniquely easy for them.  They are bigger, faster, and smarter than their competition and they don't ever have to panic or worry about not being able to match up, thus the game is very slow for them and their film is just full of good reps where they sit back, read the field, and patiently execute as well as occasionally pepper in absolutely breathtaking plays when they get their opportunities to do something next level.

If I had to stake everything I owned on picking five players who are going to be stars at the next level, I'd pick them.  That doesn't mean they're the five best players in the class or I think they'll end up being the five best NFL players from this class--growth happens and no one saw Aaron Rodgers becoming what he is in 2005.  It's just five guys I can see as star players because of their already palpable superiority.

To a point you made earlier about there not being a consensus on Zaven being the better player vs Jamin, I could be wrong but I don't think anyone outside of the Kentucky program was claiming Jamin was a better player than Zaven prior to that Pro-day.  It changed the grades and perception of Jamin's stock.  During the season Zaven was the toast of college football and Jamin was an afterthought who didn't even make his All-Conference team.  If Jamin goes in the first round, that team is buying high on a stock that was inflated by a spectacular Pro-Day performance IMO.

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me I can't recall a draft where there are so many guys I'd consider and I don't feel that married to anyone of them.  Darrisaw is my top pick but not because I think he's perfect but IMO he's as good of a talent as you can get at LT that could fall as far as 19. 

But my prefered thing is to trade down.  The problem is if other teams likewise see the talent pool so similar at the range of our pick why would they trade up?    Maybe KC for a tackle?

KC lost 2 tackles and we are ok with what we have, although a long term upgrade would be welcome.  Say the top 3 go, they (KC) love LT4 (or have a stronger feeling they need to address) and make a move.  We are comfortable with current and don't like #4 vs say 6,7,8 and find it worth waiting and adding the pick(s). 

Again this is not something I know, I just see this as the avenue that we could make it happen.  With the right player for those 3 (again GB, Buf, KC), I see adding a 2nd as a possibility.  Otherwise, the 25-28 picks, we're looking at a 3rd and change.  Not something to sneeze at, but I see good options at 29-31 and if we can get a guy we like at 31 and have 61-63ish vs 89-91ish it's worth the gamble.  Maybe it isn't an option, but I see that as a solid option if the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Thanks 1

@KDawg I'm sure you've done way more analysis and tape review than I have, but I have seen some film breakdown and hype around Rhamondre Stephenson to think he's someone you could get in Round 3 or 4 that would have a similar impact on this team as anyone at #19.

I'm not saying he's Najee Harris. But in an offense that already has Gibson and McKissic, I see a Stephenson as a perfect fit as a rotating RB / injury fill-in aka Peyton Barber replacement.

Stephenson in Round 4 + someone like Zaven Collins at #19 versus Harris + a 4th round LB ... I think I'd prefer the first option.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@KDawg I'm sure you've done way more analysis and tape review than I have, but I have seen some film breakdown and hype around Rhamondre Stephenson to think he's someone you could get in Round 3 or 4 that would have a similar impact on this team as anyone at #19.

I'm not saying he's Najee Harris. But in an offense that already has Gibson and McKissic, I see a Stephenson as a perfect fit as a rotating RB / injury fill-in aka Peyton Barber replacement.

Stephenson in Round 4 + someone like Zaven Collins at #19 versus Harris + a 4th round LB ... I think I'd prefer the first option.

You can do that with any pick, though.

For instance: 

Najee in the first + Werner in third > Zaven at 19 and Michael Carter in the third.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, duffy said:

I definitely don't see it as a need, but if we're going BPA, Najee is certainly in the conversation. I would like to address the OL and LB early, but I can't help but imagine the offensive possibilities we'd have with both Gibson and Najee. What's nice about these two is their pass catching abilities allow them both to be on the field simultaneously. It's also nice to have a little insurance in the event of an injury to one of them. But again, I don't think it's as big a need as some other positions. 

And McKissick is a FA after this year.  Probably not a great comp, but my initial thought was an Ingram/Kamara like pairing...

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Gibson is the guy though...

I think I'd rather a day 3 pick ala Alfred Morris for that role.

1 - Gibson 

2 - McKissic (3rd down back)

3 - Day 3 pick

4th RB/6th WR

Think the needs at LT and MLB with the draft history of the coaching/personnel do not leave any room for a RB early in the draft. 

Does anyone know if Bryce Love is done? 

23 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I’ve been excited about Love since the year I thought he was coming out and didn’t... but we just can’t count on the guy at this point.  I’d basically ignore that he’s on the team in terms of draft/FA and if he works out, it’s a bonus.

In terms of the 1st round LB debate, how is affected by the potential switch to man coverage?  Have to admit, there’s a part of me that likes Hudson enough (playing the WILL) to think that Zaven would be the better fit - lineup of Hudson, Holcomb/Bostic, Zaven in base, Zaven and either Hudson or Holcomb in nickel.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I recognize that you aren't as high on Zaven's tools as I am, but I think you're underestimating his traits a bit.  I think Zaven is one of five physically superior prospects in the class who wed their gifts with big time play:

- Najee

- Zaven

- Lawrence

- Sewell

- Pitts

...To a point you made earlier about there not being a consensus on Zaven being the better player vs Jamin, I could be wrong but I don't think anyone outside of the Kentucky program was claiming Jamin was a better player than Zaven prior to that Pro-day.  It changed the grades and perception of Jamin's stock.  During the season Zaven was the toast of college football and Jamin was an afterthought who didn't even make his All-Conference team.  If Jamin goes in the first round, that team is buying high on a stock that was inflated by a spectacular Pro-Day performance IMO.

Love 4 of those 5 players.  I like but not love the other dude.  I like Zaven but no he is not IMO as freakish as the other 4 players are.    But you putting them in that class brings it home how far you've fallen for Zaven.  Zaven does great with RAS.  I actually used him as my example of why RAS isn't the be all and end all.    I see people are using the numbers against my position in some of these debates when I use them -- that I supposedly am too reliant on them.  But I try to watch every player I comment on.  And if the numbers back or contradict what I see I try to digest that in the soup.  Sometimes I find the numbers relevant, sometimes I don't.   I argue from time to time here with someone who just about exclusively relies on numbers.  People used production numbers against me when I pushed Terry McLaurin.  So I am far from a slave to numbers.  I factor context and what I see heavily.  

You must have just gotten to watching Zaven recently for the first time?  Because all of a sudden you are 100 miles an hour on Zaven. I can even recall a post months back where you were pitching Koramoah and I responded by saying I like Zaven better and if I recall you didn't answer me on it.  So I think we've oddly switched places on the two players.  I was the Zaven guy here early.  You were early on Koramoah.  Koramoah really grew on me.  Love him now though I don't want him at 19.  And now you are the Zaven guy.  It's like the movie Trading Places albeit with a totally different angle.  :ols:

I agree with a chunk of your take on Zaven.  Some of it, I don't.  I do think you are over the top on him.  But that's just my opinion.  But like I said I don't want to be a killjoy on people's player man crushes.   I had it on Chase last year -- he can do no wrong, no flaws and I'd argue with anyone who picked on him on anything.  Similar here I noticed cooking on Zaven, he's untouchable, so I am leaving it alone.  And again Chase was untouchable for me last year so I'd be a hypocrite to criticize people doing the same on another player.  So its cool with me.  I get it.

My only main contention with your point was how hardcore you were as it being slam dunk definitive that Zaven is by a mile the better prospect.  Case closed.  Implying anyone who disagrees has the fringe take on the matter.  I am a bit of a hound for media/draft geek takes on players.  And actually from what I observed its you that has the fringe take (compared to the mock drafters) here not me as for the gap that you believe exists between the two.  As I said some draft geeks like Zaven more, some Jamin.  

Kiper and McShay and Jeremiah had Davis rated high even before the pro day.  But lets say they didn't and it was after the pro day, so what?  You are extrapolating on your own terms what the pro days mean to both players future.  That's cool.  That is your opinion versus fact.  So if people want to weight their pro-days in the soup, its perfectly fine.   WFT for example shouldn't have weighed in Montez Sweat's freakish combine numbers?   

The thing is you didn't just say that Zaven is the better get, you said its not even close.  My response to that is fine but I am not on an island that it is close or even being on an island that I slightly prefer Jamin.  Not that it matters what others think.   But since you bring up here what others think -- I'd say the mainstream draft geek take is more favor Zaven than they do Jamin but they rate the two as close versus there being a big gap.  And some indeed favor Jamin.   I am far from the only guy who does.  😀

ironically there is a good story about Jamin in the WP today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/09/jamin-davis-nfl-draft-prospect-linebacker/

“I love watching him because he reads the play so quickly, especially on run plays. He just shoots that gap,” McShay said. “He sees it so fast.”

But the new gold standard for inside linebacker is the player who can not just chase down backs in the running game but also cover tight ends and occasionally wide receivers in the passing game. Davis was one of six linebackers last year — including the nation’s top defensive player, Zaven Collins — to have at least three picks, and now many analysts rank Davis as the No. 2 inside backer behind Parsons.

“To me, his ability to defend the run and then to be able to cover, he’s a complete guy,” McShay said. “And you saw the pro day workout — his numbers are outstanding. … I can’t say enough good things about him.”

Jamin Davis was 14th on Kiper's board the day before his pro day.  Collins isn't even in his top 25.  And that's again before pro day. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31194922/nfl-draft-tier-rankings-2021-todd-mcshay-highest-graded-prospects-class-one-month-out

14. Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky

HT: 6-3 | WT: 234 | Previously: NR

I put Davis in my Mock Draft 3.0 because he has been a hot name over the past few weeks. He's rising and could even be the top off-ball linebacker to be picked. Davis has a big frame, and he's a tough player who tackles. He had 89 last season, along with 2 picks, 1 sack and 1 forced fumble. He has some versatility and could play inside or outside. I really like his 2020 tape.

McShay has a slight edge to Collins with Jamin getting the same grade. 

Tier 3: 17 prospects

Grades between 90 and 91. Good NFL starters and are considered strong values in the bottom half of Round 1 in any given draft class. I had 11 players in this tier in 2020.

13. Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State (91)
14. Alijah Vera-Tucker, OG, USC (91)
15. Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina (91)
16. Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU (91)
17. Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan (91)
18. Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State (90)
19. Mac Jones, QB, Alabama (90)
20. Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami (90)
21. Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida (90)
22. Najee Harris, RB, Alabama (90)
23. Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson (90)
24. Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami (90)
25. Zaven Collins, OLB, Tulsa (90)
26. Azeez Ojulari, OLB, Georgia (90)
27. Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State (90)
28. Jamin Davis, ILB, Kentucky (90)
29. Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern (90)

Jeremiah had Jamin one spot ahead of Zaven Collins on his big board BEFORE the pro day.  But again to me if it was after it wouldn't matter. 

Rank

Jamin Davis

Kentucky · LB · Junior (RS)

Davis is a tall and lanky off-the-ball linebacker. He has excellent eyes to key, read, fill and finish. He uses his quickness to beat blockers to spots. He is much better working around blocks than taking them on, but he has outstanding lateral range, and his eyes give him a jump-start. He has stopping power as a tackler in the hole, and he really excels against the pass. He has shown the ability to carry TEs down the seam as well as mirror RBs on wheel routes (SEE: Vanderbilt game). He is instinctive as a zone dropper, picking off three passes in 2020, including an 85-yard pick-six versus Tennessee. I wish he was allowed to blitz more often, because he has the traits to excel in that department. Overall, Davis lacks some strength to bang versus blockers, but his speed and playmaking ability jump off the screen. He should be a Day 1, three-down impact player at the next level.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-3-0

52 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I kind of got the feeling he was getting the old "IR until veteran medical benefits kick in" treatment.

Isn't it three NFL seasons? 

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just an amateur here but no his tape does not show better than Parsons. Doesn't mean Davis can't/won't be the better pro but Parsons at least on tape, to me, looks like on a different level of athleticism. I really don't care about 40 speed or how high/long a guy can jump. Parson has that quick twitch burst in game that I do not see when I watch Davis (again, mind you this is Youtube clips :/)

17 minutes ago, dyst said:

Just an amateur here but no his tape does not show better than Parsons. Doesn't mean Davis can't/won't be the better pro but Parsons at least on tape, to me, looks like on a different level of athleticism. I really don't care about 40 speed or how high/long a guy can jump. Parson has that quick twitch burst in game that I do not see when I watch Davis (again, mind you this is Youtube clips :/)

If I had no issues with his personal baggage Parsons would be #1 LB to me.  The only reason why I posted that tweet was i was making the point to someone that its not a consensus among mock drafters that Zaven is by a mile the better get than Jamin or that no one prefered Jamin over Zaven and if they did it only happened after pro day.  Neither point is true.  As for most mock drafter types, the gap to them seems to be close between Zaven and Jamin.   I personally agree with that take. 

I haven't watched Parsons in a long time.  it wouldn't shock me if he is there at 19 if the character concerns are true.  But if they are do you shrug it off and hope he's changed? 

• Like 3

I’m not sure what Lavar Arrington’s character endorsement is good for. 

I like Parsons better against the run and on the blitz. I like Jamin in coverage and part of that isn’t going to get better for Parsons with experience. Jamin just has that long, lanky, coverage build. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't get me wrong Kyle Pitts might be my fav non-QB prospect in the entire draft and I have loved him all the way with you. I would absolutely hate to see him in Dallas. 

That statement was just made in regards to Dallas' O-line in general.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I kind of got the feeling he was getting the old "IR until veteran medical benefits kick in" treatment.

Isn't it three NFL seasons? 

How does that work if he was injured in college?  (I'm not criticizing; I really have no idea and would like to know.)  Does WFT have an obligation to keep on the roster or injury-settle with him?

Edited by GothSkinsFan
8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’m not sure what Lavar Arrington’s character endorsement is good for. 

I like Parsons better against the run and on the blitz. I like Jamin in coverage and part of that isn’t going to get better for Parsons with experience. Jamin just has that long, lanky, coverage build. 

I think this goes into the territory of "don't overthink it" ...

The idea of drafting a guy who 2 months ago was apparently seen as an UDFA or late round pick versus a guy who was the 4th of the can't miss players (Lawrence, Sewell, Chase, Parsons) throughout a majority of this process.

Jamin Davis could be very good. You also have Harvey-Clemons and Khaleke Hudson who apparently play very similar roles and the team likes (or they would have pursued a FA).

Parsons as a dude. You don't pass him up for Jamin Davis if the character concerns aren't there.