Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I don't think it necessarily has to be a receiver.

It has to be a reception monster who can get some YAC. That can be a tight end.

Granted, we have a ton of holes.

I still say QB and LB are the two most absolute glaring weaknesses. There's a ton of them... but those are the big ones.

A pass catcher and a free safety (and a strong safety if I'm being honest) are right there as well, along with shoring up the OL which I might actually put below at least 1 safety.

what if Etienne is staring us in the face at 35 (if draft position doesn't change)

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

what if Etienne is staring us in the face at 35 (if draft position doesn't change)

Depends on what else is on the board.

You have to consider him.

But if I'm Rivera I'm looking at the way we are utilizing our two backs now and I'd have concerns with Etienne's usage in conjunction with them.

The goal of any offense is to get the ball in the hands of your playmakers as much as possible, and get as many playmakers on the field as you can at the same time. With Etienne on the roster you have to think our top playmakers would be: McLaurin, Gibson, McKissick and Etienne. Having three backs that can catch and split out and play both spots brings a lot of versatility but I'm not sure our OC would know how to use them.

Having said that, I think he's an absolute upgrade as a back and would be a starter for us out the gate. I have to watch him more to get a read on his pass protection ability, too. 

I'd leave the door open to it, but it's not wide open. It's ajar.

Just want to come in and say I really liked Michael Onwenu out of Michigan last year. Really wanted to target him in the mid-rounds. He's the top graded OL right now per PFF among rookies.

Many of us wanted Hooper last off-season. Chances are, given that there is just 1 TE worth paying hitting the market this off-season (if he even gets there) in Henry, that there's a good chance we will need to look to the draft for a TE. Thomas has been okay, but he's probably not the future.

If we added Moton at LT (or stuck with Lucas I guess), kept Scherff, and added a starting LB in the FA cycle, then I think we could definitely go QB-WR-TE-OL in some combination in the first 3 rounds and be set up pretty nicely on offense going forward.

21 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

You'll run screaming for the hills if you dig up RGIII's deep ball completion rate in the fall of '11. He absolutely nailed that metric. Then again he did exactly the same thing in '12. 

I was an RG3 Baylor guy so i recall it well.  He had a big time deep ball, flick of the wrist arm strength.  I am not a big Trey Lance guy but part of the reason why I say he's a raw version of RG3 is because for his flaws as a passer he reminds me of RG3 as to being an effortless/accurate deep ball thrower. 

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You know...

I'm not sure we should count our Lucas at this point. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't look to upgrade the offensive line. We need to shore it up. But the line has played better... could be a time to gel thing or that they are just doing better with different QBs back there. 

I went from being completely concerned with it second only to QB to it falling behind LB in the need department. It's probably even in my head with FS,TE and WR2.

I think Lucas is Nsekhe 2.0. He is a great swing tackle as his height and length really help him out in pass protection but he is below average in the run game as he can't move all that great. Happy he is locked up another year on the cheap though and not a bad worst case option.

I wanted us the draft Moton. Can’t see him escaping the tag in CAR if a deal can’t be done.

I could see the Jags cutting Norwell and Rivera loved him back in the day so would look to bring him in. I also like Schweitzer. Scherff might ask for too much and walk, but realistically his market might not be as hot as you’d expect. Charles, a lost year means he’s still an unknown on the left side of the line.

Think I’d be drafting a LT prospect day 2 to bulk that group up. Lucas sticks around as he looked better than average overall. 

2 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

I feel like they would way too much in return for moving up 1 pick. I don't like moving up especially when this team has so many holes to fill, not just QB or LT. If we're still at 3 then we can still have a top 3 qb. 

I also think there are gonna be more slot shake ups as the season plays out. 

NYJ: @ LAC, vs Miami, Vs Oak, Vs Cle: 0-16

Jack: Vs Cle, Vs Tenn, Vs Chi: 2-14

Was: Vs Cin, at Dall, at SF, Vs Caro, at Philly: 3-13

Dall: Vs Was, @ Cincy, vs SF, Vs Phil, @ NYG: 4-12

LAC Vs NYJ, Vs NE, Vs ATL, at Oak, Vs Den: 5-11

Hou Vs NE, at Det, at chi, Vs Cincy, Vs Tenn: 3-13

Cincy at Was, Vs NYG, at Mia, Vs Dall, at Hou: 4-11-1

NYG: at Cincy, Vs Cleveland, Vs Dall: 4-12

Caro: Vs Det, Vs Den, at Was: 5-11

Atlanta: Home and home with NO as they change QB's, Vs Oak, at LAC: 5-11

Den: Vs Mia, at Caro, at LAC, Vs Oak: 5-11 

There are a ton of toss up games in that list, w/plenty of matchups between teams. If I were to guess, I'd probably project us to end up picking somewhere between 2nd and 7th and probably end up at 3rd or 4th. Praying we end up 1st or 2nd, but I think the Jets are a near lock for 0-16, and that although I think the Jags have a reasonable chance of winning another game (see how tight their most recent games have been), I do think we will probably win one more as well and unlike us, the Jags are 1000% committed to the tank and I think if they are at risk of dropping to slot 3 in the final week or two, they will pull some nonsense like benching whatever QB looks more semi-competent, to insure they get the higher draft pick. Obviously Rivera aint gonna play that game, so such an advantage isn't in the cards for us. 

I wouldn't worry about teams that don't need QB. Yeah they could trade down but typically teams that high in the draft aren't going to trade out of premium talent. For example if the Bengals get the 3rd pick and are picking ahead of us, they're almost a lock to take someone like Sewell to sure up the LT spot.

We just really need to somehow leapfrog the Jags but I just don't see it. On top of that, I actually think we'll win at least one or two more games ourselves.

My guess is we end up drafting 4th.

7 minutes ago, HanburgerHelper55 said:

No body's talking center and ours is in the same boat as Scherf . A smaller boat to be sure but just as critical and we have NO backup.

usatsi_13940234-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
April 22, 2020 10:22 am

The saying goes that football games are won and lost in the trenches.

While the quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers tend to get a lot of the headlines on offense, it’s the offensive linemen who hold the operation together. Without talented offensive linemen, the running backs have no holes to hit. The quarterbacks have no time to get the ball off, which prevents the wide receivers from making any plays.

It is critical that teams add good offensive linemen to their rosters, and San Diego State center Keith Ismael is looking to be one of those building blocks up front for an NFL team.

Draft Wire recently spoke exclusively with Ismael about his collegiate career, his family’s lineage in football, how he has been preparing for the 2020 NFL draft, and much more.

The more I think of it, we should draft Sewell in the first and Qb in the second.

There appears to be quite a few prospects and trading up into the first round would secure a potentially future franchise qb.

Sewell looks like the real deal!

Who knows, there is a slim chance that Haskins becomes more mature and wins the competition for the starting job.

Alternatively, draft Lance or Wilson if we don't have the first or second  pick.

Too early to know but fun to speculate.

58 minutes ago, bonhommelemec said:

The more I think of it, we should draft Sewell in the first and Qb in the second.

There appears to be quite a few prospects and trading up into the first round would secure a potentially future franchise qb.

Sewell looks like the real deal!

Who knows, there is a slim chance that Haskins becomes more mature and wins the competition for the starting job.

Alternatively, draft Lance or Wilson if we don't have the first or second  pick.

Too early to know but fun to speculate.

I don't think that come draft day we will be in a position to draft Sewell. You will need a top 5 pick for that and there are currently 9 teams besides us with only 2 or 3 wins and some of them look even worse than we do. If we lose against the Bengals and the Cowboys in back to back weeks now then yes but I don't think that will happen. I think we will ultimately pick at 6 or 7.

7 hours ago, HanburgerHelper55 said:

How many snaps has he played at either guard or center? We know what we have in front of him and Martin has not looked good. The Alabama kid has not been given a shot either. Do you really think we're just hiding these guys?

Most teams don’t start a rookie when they have an entrenched starter in front of them and Roullier hasn’t missed much time. 

You completely wrote the guy off... “NO backup”. There’s a backup there. We don’t know yet how he’ll do as a starter. But the coaches and front office will.

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

I don't think that come draft day we will be in a position to draft Sewell. You will need a top 5 pick for that and there are currently 9 teams besides us with only 2 or 3 wins and some of them look even worse than we do. If we lose against the Bengals and the Cowboys in back to back weeks now then yes but I don't think that will happen. I think we will ultimately pick at 6 or 7.

We’re suck so bad we suck at sucking to screw our selves. 

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think I would be very happy with this. I simulated 4 rounds at https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

image.thumb.png.b480e4a672ad2af13f91dad2146a1349.png

That would be a stupid good draft.

I don’t think Fields falls to 3.

I don’t think Leatherwood falls out of the first.

Amon could be there at 67... but I think he may be earlier.

I think there’s zero shot Javon Holland falls that far... but if he’s there at 67 you draft him. Hell, I’d draft him at 35. Hell, as of now, I’d draft him mid first... which is where I think he goes. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That would be a stupid good draft.

I don’t think Fields falls to 3.

I don’t think Leatherwood falls out of the first.

Amon could be there at 67... but I think he may be earlier.

I think there’s zero shot Javon Holland falls that far... but if he’s there at 67 you draft him. Hell, I’d draft him at 35. Hell, as of now, I’d draft him mid first... which is where I think he goes. 

I ran the simulation 4 times. The Jags took Sewell three of them. Jags gonna jag!

Archived