Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Imagine using those 2nd and 3rd round picks on some of the best interior OL instead of taking a shot at another skill player? I watched the Browns OL run blocking today to reminisce when we prioritized that. The Browns. We have 1 level built on defense so LB is next up there. FA LB in their prime would be the one starter I'd pay premium for. If Sewell is gone in the 1st, I'm looking at Parsons. Our defense is FUN to watch if you put Parsons, and a mid-high price LB FA next to him(and maybe another low-price FA LB specializing in coverage), behind our DL. Run defense with some bite. I am doing whatever it takes to keep this DL group together, for at least 1 more contract each, and build around them. DL especially get value in those 2nd contracts and we need to capitalize on our investments. Build the OL through the draft, in those 2-4 rounds, and the skill players we have will be more entertaining.

We got our DL from Alabama, we go to Penn State to get our LBs.

15 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Imagine using those 2nd and 3rd round picks on some of the best interior OL instead of taking a shot at another skill player? I watched the Browns OL run blocking today to reminisce when we prioritized that. The Browns. We have 1 level built on defense so LB is next up there. FA LB in their prime would be the one starter I'd pay premium for. If Sewell is gone in the 1st, I'm looking at Parsons. Our defense is FUN to watch if you put Parsons, and a mid-high price OLB FA next to him, behind our DL. Run defense with some bite. I am doing whatever it takes to keep this DL group together, for at least 1 more contract each, and build around them. Build the OL through the draft and the skill players we have will be more entertaining. 

We got our DL from Alabama, we go to Penn State to get our LBs.

Well our last two 3rd round picks have been Antonio Gibson and Terry McLaurin. You really can't complain about those.

Yeah Parsons is my 2nd non QB favorite pick. 1st would be Sewell. But Parsons and Young could be like our version of Derrick Brooks and Warren Sapp.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Well our last two 3rd round picks have been Antonio Gibson and Terry McLaurin. You really can't complain about those.

Yeah Parsons is my 2nd non QB favorite pick. 1st would be Sewell. But Parsons and Young could be like our version of Derrick Brooks and Warren Sapp.

Oh no I'm building on the recent picks, not complaining. Moving on to draft OL gives those players a vote of confidence. I would prefer Sewell as well, but we may end up 4-6 range, and he would likely be gone. If Sewell is gone, the next BPA and fit is Parsons. You maximize having Ron Rivera as your Head Coach by giving him his Linebacker apprentice to set the tone and lead his new culture. It makes too much sense.

Right now my top tier in the first round of the draft is: Lawrence, Fields, Sewell, Harris, Etienne (though the two backs  shouldn’t go anywhere near top 5)

Second Tier: Some combination of Parsons, Chase, Surtain, Wilson, Farley, Rosseau 

Third Tier: Waddle, Cosmi, Leatherwood, Lance (upside only, high risk), Barmore, Pitts, Smith (his body is the only thing that gives me pause), Moses, Paye, Darrisaw, Wyatt Davis, Alijah Vera-Tucker

Still subject to change, obviously.

4 hours ago, bonhommelemec said:

Patrick Mahomes or even Josh Allen.

Hardly anyone around here has the patience to give a Mahomes a year to sit and damn sure not allow a Josh Allen to develop.

And, neither of them were a top 1/2 pick so they’re no good anyway

1 minute ago, stoshuaj said:

Hardly anyone around here has the patience to give a Mahomes a year to sit and damn sure not allow a Josh Allen to develop.

And, neither of them were a top 1/2 pick so they’re no good anyway

I don’t know that this is true.

I think it’s dangerous that because the fan base collectively soured on Haskins it assumes the same would occur with another QB.

The fan base has had patience in the past as it pertains to guys like Ramsey, Campbell, Griffin and even Cousins. They got a real long look.

This narrative that the fan base doesn’t have patience to develop a quarterback stems mostly because of Haskins. And the fan base soured on him due to his own doing on top of Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder’s failings by drafting him to a lame duck regime in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know that this is true.

I think it’s dangerous that because the fan base collectively soured on Haskins it assumes the same would occur with another QB.

The fan base has had patience in the past as it pertains to guys like Ramsey, Campbell, Griffin and even Cousins. They got a real long look.

This narrative that the fan base doesn’t have patience to develop a quarterback stems mostly because of Haskins. And the fan base soured on him due to his own doing on top of Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder’s failings by drafting him to a lame duck regime in the first place. 

good/fair points

I know this is referenced to the qb position specifically but I could/should have put in general w young players.

Or, it’s Monday morning and I’m in a pissy mood anyway and think as a collective group, our fan base isn’t way up there.

or, the team has sucked for 20 frigging years and you can’t blame the fan base for having pitchforks at the ready

idk, I’m rambling.  You’re a good dude though.  Not that it matters what I think of you anyway.

9 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

good/fair points

I know this is referenced to the qb position specifically but I could/should have put in general w young players.

Or, it’s Monday morning and I’m in a pissy mood anyway and think as a collective group, our fan base isn’t way up there.

or, the team has sucked for 20 frigging years and you can’t blame the fan base for having pitchforks at the ready

idk, I’m rambling.  You’re a good dude though.  Not that it matters what I think of you anyway.

Ha! Everyone likes to be thought well of, so I appreciate it brother!

All of these are excellent points and honestly every time I see someone make similar points my first thought is: “I wonder if this is a real thought or if this is their twenty years of frustration coming out...”

So it makes sense to me. It’s nice when people can admit that could be clouding them. I respect that.

I’ll say this regardless of my feelings about drafting certain players from certain universities I’ll give our staff the BOTD. If they put themselves in position for a player they want I’ll let it ride.  If it turns out to be a bust move though I’ll be vocal about it.  I gave Griffin that because I thought it’s what Mike wanted so I didn’t even think of the picks we gave up. I can’t judge our staff until they have what they think is the right players.  If then we fail I’ll judge.  It was always going to be a building process.  Anyone thinking we’d turn it around in a year was kidding themselves. 

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Let me start with you never know when it comes to college QBs.   And I am not pretending to be an expert or have a definitive opinion on any of these.  I am just guessing. 

IMO, Mac Jones simply doesn't have the attributes that the top 4 QBs do in this draft.  Lawrence has everything -- arm strength, mobility, accuracy.  Fields has mega mobility, good enough arm strength and is accurate.  Zach Wilson is an escape artist in the pocket who can throw the ball off platform, has good accuracy, etc.  Lance to me is the hardest to figure out of the top tier guys but he has elite traits so if he puts it together he could be special IMO, I don't think Mac has elite traits. 

Mac Jones to me is a pure pocket passer.  Good deep ball.  Good arm strength but not great.   IMO his touch is so so.   He's not a throw off platform make things happen when the pocket breaks down kind of guy.  He's my favorite of the 2nd tier types but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being a dude who is a competent NFL QB but is nothing special,. 

What a great post, this should be pinned to this thread. Completely nails modern NFL QB philosophy. While most wouldn't mind one of these other guys (Jones/Trask) in late round 1/early 2, they don't possess the dynamism and upside of Fields/Wilson.

Next tier types, Desmond Ridder to me is intriguing.  He's more enticing to me than the typical 2nd-3rd round QB type because of his mobility. 

Good:

Legitimate dual threat QB -- some read option in the arsenal 

Good touch on throws in the flat

Can roll out and throw decently on the move -- on both the right and left

Good arm strength -- effortless throwing motion, good deep ball

Based on what i've read, he has good intangibles

Bad:

He doesn't have the video game numbers that the higher ranked QB have -- late bloomer, stats weren't that hot until this year.  

Mostly a one read it seems guy, on occasion I see him go to the next read

Stares at receivers often but not as blatant on that front as Trey Lance

His deep balls come off a bit flat -- needs more arc

Didn't see many tight window throws

Instinct is usually to run versus throw when the pocket collapses

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 12.12.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 12.13.17 PM.png

Just watched some Jake Ferguson, TE.  I like him a lot.  He might be my top 3rd round type crush at the moment albeit I havew a long way to go to watch prospects so that could change. Reminds me some of Asiasi who i liked out of the draft last year.  Asiasi end up goiing higher than the draft geeks expected.  Could be the same with Ferguson.  And I like Ferguson better than Asiasi. 

I am a sucker for TE's who are close to 250 pounds, have length and are willing blockers.  Ferguson checks those boxes.  He was smaller the previous year but bulked up from his 230 weight into the mid 240s. 

He's more of an old school type who is a threat in the seam, in the flat, red zone.   He's not a Kyle Pitts or Brevin Jordan type.   That is, he's not a dynamic hybrid WR-TE type.  He's more in the Hockenson mode.   He's not quite Hockenson as a blocker but isn't a mile off either.  I watched a lot of TEs in the last two drafts and to me this dude is the best blocker (among the dual threat types) I've watched since Hockenson.  

He will have some highlight mean spirited blocks in the mode of Hockenson but not as many.  He's a willing blocker who plays with some meanness. He's good as both a pass blocker and run blocker -- I like him more though as a run blocker.  And he's enough of a passing threat to be considered a rare multi dimensional type in terms of today's TE's. 

Pros

He's a really good blocker.  They lined him up tight plenty where his main duty was to block so I think he will adjust quickly in that role in the NFL 

Is versatile.  Played some H back.

Feisty with the ball in his hands -- YAC guy to an extent but his lack of speed limits it to an extent.

Really good-strong hands

Good leaping ability.  Considering his height and his ability to leap, he's a red zone threat

Cons

He doesn't look fast but not slow either.  I am curious to see what he runs.  He has really long legs so it takes him time to get going.

As much as I like him as a blocker, he's a work in progress, can improve his consistency especially as a pass blocker

He's the type of a TE IMO who sneaks up on you in the passing game versus a dude you have to game plan to stop

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-crabbs-3.0

Jets

Trevor Lawrence

QB, Clemson

Is there something more permanent than a Sharpie? If there is, break it out and write this one in—whether it comes from the Jets or otherwise. The Jets are facing a challenging season and there's not a lot of optimism to find wins on the schedule from here on out; consider them the strong front runners for Lawrence. Ohio State's Justin Fields will give it his absolute best to upset the hierarchy of the 2021 NFL Draft, but Lawrence's resume is as strong as it gets. 

Jaguars

Justin Fields

QB, Ohio State

The Jaguars are proving to be quite the tough out—they gave the Green Bay Packers everything they could handle in Week 10 but ultimately came up short. There's plenty to improve upon with this team, but there's no denying the chance to get an improvement in the quarterback department. Justin Fields may not catch Lawrence, but he's every bit of a grand prize for Jacksonville in this scenario. Jacksonville can use the knowledge of Fields' skills to help steer their search for any organizational changes and then aim to build around him from there. 

Cowboys

Penei Sewell

OT, Oregon

The Cowboys have been adamant since the Dak Prescott injury that they're going to be committed to Prescott in the future. If their word is to be believed, then Dallas must begin to inspect their roster to find opportunities to get younger and cheaper. Left tackle is a good spot to start, given the durability issues present with Tyron Smith—no matter how good he is. Sewell is the best player available at this point in the draft order. That said, Dallas will probably have suitors for this pick given the buzz around some of the other quarterbacks available. That's a tough choice to make, but Dallas must protect Prescott in 2021 and beyond for the Cowboys to be their best. 

Washington

Zach Wilson

QB, BYU

The incredible return of Alex Smith should not be overlooked or underappreciated. Nearly 20 surgeries were required to get Smith back under center and now he's thrown for 300-plus yards in consecutive games for the first time in his career. But Washington is in need of a franchise quarterback to build around in the future and Smith can't fulfill that need for them. In Wilson, Washington lands the hottest quarterback name of 2020. Wilson's creative play is creating fans all over the place, including in NFL front offices. What becomes of Dwayne Haskins is yet to be determined; but it is difficult to envision him coming back from the brink he's been pushed to by Ron Rivera's staff. This is Rivera's pick to work with and develop. 

Chargers

Gregory Rousseau

EDGE, Miami

The Chargers would love to find some assets to build around their young franchise quarterback in this spot, but the Chargers' biggest needs lie in the trenches on offense—the team has very good skill players between RB Austin Ekeler, TE Hunter Henry, and WRs Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. Instead of forcing a need pick here, the Chargers will instead turn their eyes to the defense and secure a high-ceiling player in Rousseau. The Chargers are very reliant on their organic pass rush and don't blitz often, so finding more players to create heat on the opposition is a good way to go. With Melvin Ingram's contract expiring, the Chargers can find an heir opposite Joey Bosa with this pick. 

Dolphins

Jaylen Waddle

WR, Alabama

A stunner! WR1 is not Ja'Marr Chase but instead Alabama's Jaylen Waddle? How? Why? The Dolphins have plenty of size in their receiving corps between DeVante Parker, Preston Williams, and TE Mike Gesicki, but they don't have a lot of home-run hitting ability and ability to create after the catch. That just so happens to be Waddle's specialty, just as he also just so happens to be Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa's former college teammate from Tuscaloosa. Miami could consider replacing Preston Williams (he's on injured reserve for the second straight season) with Chase as well, but this kind of player is the missing element to Miami's offense as things currently stand. 

Bengals

Ja'Marr Chase

WR, LSU

The Bengals, much like the Chargers, would love to find some offensive line play to help Joe Burrow. But, like the Chargers, you won't find great value here in the top 10 overall picks if you're not bringing home Penei Sewell. So instead, the Bengals follow suit after the Dolphins paired their young franchise quarterback with his old college teammate and draft Chase to step into the Bengals' receiving room and help offer the best possible skill group to Burrow as possible. And between Chase and 2020 rookie Tee Higgins, Burrow should have little trouble finding open targets—even when they're covered. These two are catch-point extraordinaires. 

Giants

Micah Parsons

LB, Penn State

The Giants could take a flier on NDSU quarterback Trey Lance here, but if Daniel Jones is able to channel the play he's illustrated the past two weeks in wins over Washington and Philadelphia over the rest of the season, he'll make a strong case for continued time as "the guy" in New York. Instead, the Giants must address some of the glaring issues on their roster. They've got a young offensive line, a talented (but injured) running back in Saquon Barkley, and a reasonable amount of talent at the skill positions. The back seven on defense? Yikes. Penn State's Micah Parsons is diverse but uber talented and would likely shine behind the brick wall of interior defensive linemen that Dave Gettleman has assembled in New York. 

Panthers

Patrick Surtain II

CB, Alabama

The Panthers have to be excited by their early returns on QB Teddy Bridgewater and the team appears perfectly content to build up their defense early on and assess the quarterback play among impressive talents elsewhere on the offense. Carolina has a dynamic group of skill players but the team is challenged to stop potent offenses elsewhere in the NFC South—so consider this pick a home run for the Panthers after investing so heavily in the front seven in 2020. The Panthers miss James Bradberry, who is balling out in New York with the Giants, but they get a talented athlete at the position to step in with Surtain II. 

17 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

^ Sewell to the Pukes and Parsons to the Giants would by an ugly outcome. 

I agree.  If we don't get Lawrence or Fields, I'd rather see us take Sewell or Parsons.  I'd like to see Mac jones make it back to us in the second round.  I could see a team like Pittsburgh grabbing him late first round, though.

Watching the impact players like Fred Warner, Roquan Smith, Deion Jones, Devin Bush, Lavonte David (to name a few) have in defending the modern NFL offense certainly makes a point for drafting someone like Micah Parsons or even JOK from Notre Dame who will end up going somewhere in the teens imo. Dudes that can cover, spy and blitz are becoming very valuable due to the way offenses are designed now a days.

Some of the names I mentioned a long with a handful I left out weren't drafted in the first round so I think it should be a major priority in rounds 2 and 3. Our current linebacking corps is as solid as they come for the type of football that was played in the NFL around 2002. 

The more I read about this draft, the more it feels like the 2012 draft or the 2018 draft, maybe 2017 or 2011. But we have all these QBs who are legit and look like studs but history says that some will be fools gold. So who is this year's Mitch Tribusky? or Sam Darnold? or RG3? or Haskins? Heck even Tannehill? 

I'm seeing Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson and Jones and I'm reading the reports and watching stuff but its not settling. And part of me wonders what our scouts are thinking about these QBs and I'm thinking back to 2011 when we didn't want Locker or Ponder and went with Beck and Grossman instead. Could we do something similar this year? Or could we bring in a vet like Dak?

Is Fields a comparison to Dak? Or is he another RG3? Lance looks good but he's a one year wonder so people say he's comparable to Mitch, Haskins, Lynch, and Kizer. So that leaves us looking at Wilson and Jones and the rest of the pack. I don't mind using a lower pick on a QB but the question becomes how low will the 4th QB be taken? The first? The second? 

Sometimes I think you just kinda make stuff up to have discussions :ols:

You just eliminated Lance and Fields but kept Mac Jones in the conversation... because you read reports that were unsettling... what reports made you feel unsettled on Lance and Fields but settled on Jones?

Minimum of 4 QBs are going to go round 1 this year.

EDIT: I think I misread your post and you weren’t eliminating them but rather you’re looking to figure out what else is in the class.

24 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

The more I read about this draft, the more it feels like the 2012 draft or the 2018 draft, maybe 2017 or 2011. But we have all these QBs who are legit and look like studs but history says that some will be fools gold. So who is this year's Mitch Tribusky? or Sam Darnold? or RG3? or Haskins? Heck even Tannehill? 

I'm seeing Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson and Jones and I'm reading the reports and watching stuff but its not settling. And part of me wonders what our scouts are thinking about these QBs and I'm thinking back to 2011 when we didn't want Locker or Ponder and went with Beck and Grossman instead. Could we do something similar this year? Or could we bring in a vet like Dak?

Is Fields a comparison to Dak? Or is he another RG3? Lance looks good but he's a one year wonder so people say he's comparable to Mitch, Haskins, Lynch, and Kizer. So that leaves us looking at Wilson and Jones and the rest of the pack. I don't mind using a lower pick on a QB but the question becomes how low will the 4th QB be taken? The first? The second? 

My best shot at this:  And granted things chance a lot, this is way early in the draft process.

Lawrence -- Andrew Luck.  Different stylistically to each other but similar caliber.  Slam dunk the #1 pick in the draft

Fields -- aa bigger and potentialy better Kyler Murray.  Slam dunk the #2 pick in the draft

The top 2 QBs potential of being studs is really high.  I think both will be stars. 

Then:

Zach Wilson -- faster and more agile Tony Romo?  Some injury concerns based on his past and style of play.  My guess right now he goes #4.

Trey Lance -- a more raw RG3?  My guess is he goes somewhere between #5 and #15

Then:

Mac Jones -- Kirk Cousins type at best?.  My guess late first rounder/early 2nd. 

Kyle Trask -- I don't think the dude will make it but some do believe in him.  My guess is 2nd round.

I'd personally bet against either guy Jones or Trask becoming a top 10 QB.  I'd guess they end up Keenum types.

Then a bunch of wildcards. (3rd-6th round)

Newman, Mond, Franks, Ridder and others.  Right now my favorite in that bunch is Ridder but I haven't watched them all.  If I had to go with a darkhorse candidate who might make it in the NFL, I'd probably go Ridder.  

Archived