Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

18 hours ago, TheShredder said:

However, AG as well as Alex could very well play Sunday.  They could all but lock it up with a win vs Seattle and losses by NY and PHI. 

Someone asked so I'd guess AG to be 50/50 shot at playing on 2 weeks rehab.  If he practices limited and it's not worse the next day it will be more optimistic. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

After practice, head coach Ron Rivera said, via J.P. Finley of NBCSportsWashington.com, that Smith would not have to practice to play because he’s a “smart football player.”

Running back Antonio Gibson did not practice and spent the session working with trainers. Gibson missed the 49ers game with turf toe.

This is one of the scenarios I've texted about. 

AG had a Grade 1 Turf Toe injury almost 2 weeks ago.  He was DNP for practice but they tested him.  He'll have a follow-up 24 hrs later that might include an MRI to assess the degree of inflammation and an assessment of his pain response from a recorded range of motion.  If the assessment reveals no increase in pain or inflammation then they'll bump him up a notch for Sunday. 

Alex, like i pointed out before, he's suiting up 100%.  Whether he starts or not will depend on if they can loosen his Soleus.  Clearly Alex was preoccupied with issue concerns in his repaired leg.  I don't believe he knew what it was before the game and that it's reasonable to suspect he felt like his Achilles was ready to pop.  That's what a Soleua strain mimics as these tissues are connected.  Though 90% of the time patients who suffer a ruptured Achilles had no prior signs or symptoms.  It's reasonable to expect an MRI was performed to pinpoint the problem area for a definitive diagnosis.  This would help Alex regain confidence that he wasn't risking major injury and that a slight Soleus strain and associated inflammation was the problem.  With that information Alex could just take it easy with treatments and walkthroughs and play Sunday without limitations. 

Today isn't the day to assume anything.  Thursday should determine what to expect for the availability of both.

• Like 10

This is something the commentators mentioned after AG went out and I agree with. I don't like that they use the term "turf toe". I feel like it really minimizes the injury. It's a ligament sprain in the toe joint, and it's extremely painful. I had it once in HS and it was awful.

• Like 2

Am I mistaken about turf toe with a different injury or is it one of those injuries they say that playing with it won't make it worse, but it is a matter of the pain threshold every time you have to plant on that foot/toe and either make your cut or accelerate or anything else.   It is also one of those things where it is just a lot of rest and staying off of it that heals it up.

Didn't Laverneous Coles have that injury which he refused to have surgery on for the longest time, and he missed a lot of games towards his final season here in which we sent him back to the Jets for Santana Moss, and of course Coles goes and gets surgery right after.

4 hours ago, TheShredder said:

AG had a Grade 1 Turf Toe injury almost 2 weeks ago.  He was DNP for practice but they tested him.  He'll have a follow-up 24 hrs later that might include an MRI to assess the degree of inflammation and an assessment of his pain response from a recorded range of motion.  If the assessment reveals no increase in pain or inflammation then they'll bump him up a notch for Sunday. 

No, we've played 2 games since he suffered it early vs Pittsburg but he's been hurt a only a little over a week.

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Am I mistaken about turf toe with a different injury or is it one of those injuries they say that playing with it won't make it worse, but it is a matter of the pain threshold every time you have to plant on that foot/toe and either make your cut or accelerate or anything else.   It is also one of those things where it is just a lot of rest and staying off of it that heals it up.

Didn't Laverneous Coles have that injury which he refused to have surgery on for the longest time, and he missed a lot of games towards his final season here in which we sent him back to the Jets for Santana Moss, and of course Coles goes and gets surgery right after.

Depends on the severity of the sprain. I had a mild to moderate sprain so while trying to play with it was possible (this was lacrosse), it was very painful and my planting ability was next to nil for a few weeks. A severe sprain can be made worse and they can even require surgery sometime if it's bad enough. They said AG's is a grade 1 which is good...means it's relatively mild. But even a mild one is quite painful and will likely limit his mobility for a little while.

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I think there is some confusion when it comes to turf toe which can lead to it not being thought of as a "real" injury.

It can be a gradual process caused by the constant flexing of the toes/foot while pushing off, but it can also be caused by a one off event such as hyperextension of the joint, this is what happened to Gibson. The extent of the sprain/tear of the ligament can obviously vary greatly, hence the different grades of the injury.

Here's hoping that Gibson's is a fairly minor grade 1 and he just needs a few weeks rest.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I had turf toe on both feet at once. Made a tackle from behind and got dragged a few yards, which was not uncommon. 😂

My big toe on my left foot turned almost black it was so bad. I expect Gibson to miss this week and play next week. Hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Damn.  Both feet?  So, since you really couldn't limp to favor one or the other, what did you do, just kind of waddle?  🙂

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

We signed Lamar Miller off the bears practice squad. Hopefully he can carry some of the load until Gibson is back 

Barber is hurt, so they had to add someone. I don't think this was because of Gibson or they would have added him already to be available for Seattle. 

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

McK was limping after carries last week too. I don't think Miller is much of a window on Gibson himself, just holding together a group that is showing its wear and tear across the board.

We're definitely going to need a defensive touchdown and a really good punt return this weekend against Seattle. The whole team seems banged up.