Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

50 minutes ago, mistertim said:

They gave him a $500,000 signing bonus, but he'd count for $1 million dead cap if he were cut. We have a ton of cap space this year so if they really thought they had better players at the position than JD, they wouldn't keep him around just because he'd count against the cap.

I think he's mainly an insurance policy in case Guice and/or Love aren't fully healthy or can't stay healthy. Like I said, the guy has been on 4 teams in 4 years for a reason.

Thought he got a million dollar signing bonus? 

It’s not like he’s bounced around his whole career, he was on a playoff teams roster for 3 years. He has value.

Buuut... I’ll admit to calling him a lock is extremely presumptuous. I just like his skill set paired with the cannon and willingness of Haskins to push the ball down the field as it should provide the jitterbug that Mckissic is great opportunities to be a pain underneath.

Not a lot of guys who make people miss on the roster and I value that a great deal. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Thought he got a million dollar signing bonus? 

It’s not like he’s bounced around his whole career, he was on a playoff teams roster for 3 years. He has value.

Buuut... I’ll admit to calling him a lock is extremely presumptuous. I just like his skill set paired with the cannon and willingness of Haskins to push the ball down the field as it should provide the jitterbug that Mckissic is great opportunities to be a pain underneath.

Not a lot of guys who make people miss on the roster and I value that a great deal. 

I think we're both looking at different things and we're both kind of right. He got a $500k signing bonus, gets a $160k roster bonus, and has a base salary of $950k. So if he stays on the team past a certain date we'll be paying him well over $1 million, but as of right now all he has in his pocket is $500k (which certainly isn't peanuts).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/jd-mckissic-19712/

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

They gave him a $500,000 signing bonus, but he'd count for $1 million dead cap if he were cut. We have a ton of cap space this year so if they really thought they had better players at the position than JD, they wouldn't keep him around just because he'd count against the cap.

I think he's mainly an insurance policy in case Guice and/or Love aren't fully healthy or can't stay healthy. Like I said, the guy has been on 4 teams in 4 years for a reason.

I doubt he's going anywhere. He fits well around a bunch of questionable RBs.

Your username always reminds me of the Volkswagen commercial with the white rastaman from Minnesota. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Your username always reminds me of the Volkswagen commercial with the white rastaman from Minnesota. 

Well, I do make some wicked coffee.

• Haha 1

Watching that Randy Jordan presser was worthwhile. I didn’t realize Antonio Gibson used to play QB, that bodes well for holistic thinking when it comes to his various positions and how they work to setup and attack the defense.

I’m really excited to see what he can do in this offense, especially because the second thing that was valuable to learn was about the new complexity of RB route concepts. Which switches the route of a given play based on man/zone coverage and leverages of the defense while depending on the qb and rb to be reading the same thing and adjusting accordingly.

So basically our rb’s will be running a **** load of choice routes and Dwayne is the kind of guy to get off on having that level of dynamicism to attack a secondary with. There will be some growing pains but I’m starting to better appreciate what they’re trying to put together. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He’s really nothing special and can easily be replaced by a zillion other players. He’s kind of our worst case scenario RB in that the only way he manages to stick around is if the worst case happens. Perhaps his saving grace may be his play on special teams and whether or not we consider him as a return candidate.

12 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Watching that Randy Jordan presser was worthwhile. I didn’t realize Antonio Gibson used to play QB, that bodes well for holistic thinking when it comes to his various positions and how they work to setup and attack the defense.

I’m really excited to see what he can do in this offense, especially because the second thing that was valuable to learn was about the new complexity of RB route concepts. Which switches the route of a given play based on man/zone coverage and leverages of the defense while depending on the qb and rb to be reading the same thing and adjusting accordingly.

So basically our rb’s will be running a **** load of choice routes and Dwayne is the kind of guy to get off on having that level of dynamicism to attack a secondary with. There will be some growing pains but I’m starting to better appreciate what they’re trying to put together. 

And then Gibson on special teams too.  I think Jordan was saying Gibson could play 4 positions on special teams including returner.  Sims doesn’t need to return anymore.  Gibson may be more suited to handle it.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/40236/derrius-guice-is-gone-but-washington-still-has-options-at-running-back 

The word is out. He can't pass block, which is understandable since he has very little experience at RB. I don't think we're gonna see a whole ton of him this season and if we're gonna see any of him it'll probably be being lined up as a WR.. Remember how long it took for us to bring CT along and he had experience as a RB...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/40236/derrius-guice-is-gone-but-washington-still-has-options-at-running-back 

The word is out. He can't pass block, which is understandable since he has very little experience at RB. I don't think we're gonna see a whole ton of him this season and if we're gonna see any of him it'll probably be being lined up as a WR.. Remember how long it took for us to bring CT along and he had experience as a RB...

He's just a gadget player. I don't think anyone sees him as anything else for a couple of years, Which is fine. If he can hit a couple of those home runs, then just being on the field creates a need to pay attention to him.

45 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I’m drooling at the thought of Gibson and McKissic both on the field at the same time, motioning and running routes. If Love can develop in the passing game, even better.

Love, Sims as well. We have a lot of really fun pieces for Turners offense. No chain moving possession guys unless a TE or GG step up. Maybe Cam Sims, idk, but we have a bunch of give them the ball and watch them work types.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Love, Sims as well. We have a lot of really fun pieces for Turners offense. No chain moving possession guys unless a TE or GG step up. Maybe Cam Sims, idk, but we have a bunch of give them the ball and watch them work types.

Was going to say the same thing regarding Sims.

Can you imagine the speed if you have Mclaurin and Sims outside, Gibson in the slot, and Love and Mckissic in a 2 back set?  I wouldn't do it often as you only give yourselves 5 down lineman, but talk about the ability to spread out a defense.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Can you imagine the speed if you have Mclaurin and Sims outside, Gibson in the slot, and Love and Mckissic in a 2 back set?  I wouldn't do it often as you only give yourselves 5 down lineman, but talk about the ability to spread out a defense.  

Imagine a similar alignment but with Kyle Pitts at TE. Motion Gibson to the slot and go empty backfield. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I'd actually swap Gibson and Sims: line up Gibson outside and Sims in the slot. Gibson is a burner who can stretch the field, Sims is quick and shifty but doesn't have that same 6th gear. Gibson ran plenty of vertical routes in college.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mistertim said:

I'd actually swap Gibson and Sims: line up Gibson outside and Sims in the slot. Gibson is a burner who can stretch the field, Sims is quick and shifty but doesn't have that same 6th gear. Gibson ran plenty of vertical routes in college.

Don't hate it... i wasn't necessarily looking at flat line speed as much as i was picturing the scene in Top Gun when Maverick shows up to the fight at the end of the movie and there are planes buzzing around in all directions.  It would be hard for a defense to be able to anticipate who is going where.  

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Don't hate it... i wasn't necessarily looking at flat line speed as much as i was picturing the scene in Top Gun when Maverick shows up to the fight at the end of the movie and there are planes buzzing around in all directions.  It would be hard for a defense to be able to anticipate who is going where.  

True, that would be hard to defend against in general. Two legit 4.3 guys, a quick slot guy who knows how to get open, and maybe a big body like AGG for possession/jump balls.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...