Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I agree and this bugs me.  A few years ago Bryce Love was a first round pick that offered that home run threat. Now he may be expendable and that just seems like such a waste. 

Depends on his health and how efficient he is as a receiving weapon. I don't think all is lost though.. if anything this puts pressure on Mckissic and Barber. Cheap vets can be removed before healthy youth and upside. Just have to let it play out. This is the value of depth and competition. Heck we may even be able to trade one or two of these guys for picks.

18 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I agree and this bugs me.  A few years ago Bryce Love was a first round pick that offered that home run threat. Now he may be expendable and that just seems like such a waste. 

I agree.  He just fell into a crummy circumstance.  Now, if he shows healthy, that’s different.  But if he really was showing healthy now, I doubt the team makes all the moves at RB they have made.  They clearly don’t trust Guice and love to be and stay healthy.  And Ron isn’t going to just accept it and pout like the previous regime.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree.  He just fell into a crummy circumstance.  Now, if he shows healthy, that’s different.  But if he really was showing healthy now, I doubt the team makes all the moves at RB they have made.  They clearly don’t trust Guice and love to be and stay healthy.  And Ron isn’t going to just accept it and pout like the previous regime.

I'd just hate it that a talent like Bryce Love may never get the chance here.  He has to be so upset, first his injury knocks him out of the first year and costs him a year, now that he's finally back he runs into this situation.  

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'd just hate it that a talent like Bryce Love may never get the chance here.  He has to be so upset, first his injury knocks him out of the first year and costs him a year, now that he's finally back he runs into this situation.  

If he's back.  The reporting is somewhat sketchy. I think he had to have a second surgery, and who knows how his recovery is going.  

If he is recovering well, then he really should have a great shot to be a contributor, because he was a beast.  However, this regime just isn't going to take a chance on it when they have nothing invested in him.  And while that stinks for him, it's the absolutely right approach.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If he's back.  The reporting is somewhat sketchy. I think he had to have a second surgery, and who knows how his recovery is going.  

If he is recovering well, then he really should have a great shot to be a contributor, because he was a beast.  However, this regime just isn't going to take a chance on it when they have nothing invested in him.  And while that stinks for him, it's the absolutely right approach.  

No question they could not count on these backs, and even if he's back it may take him some time to return to form as we often see with RBs and knees.  I just see him going to another team and in 2 years he's great and we let him go. Seen this movie before. I'd prefer that he develop a mysterious blood disorder so they can stash him if they aren't going to use him. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

Always a concern when someone doesn't put up numbers in college. And maybe I should clarify, Gibson was very productive when he touched the ball in college. He just had so few touches. Which makes you wonder why? Particular since he's not coming from a Power-5 conference. So it's not like he was blocked by some first rounder. Interesting potential, but seems very risky. For a third that's not bad, but you'd like to see more.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Isn’t this dude like 6’2” 225?

Some kind of H-back deal right?

Some reps should be like that. Others at slot. Others as RB. Wouldn't be shocked to see him as QB running the wild cat. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Same height and same speed as McLauren but almost 20 pounds heavier. Not nearly as polished though. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Some reps should be like that. Others at slot. Others as RB. Wouldn't be shocked to see him as QB running the wild cat. 

Sounds like a really good fit for Turners scheme.

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Sounds like a really good fit for Turners scheme.

Literally prototype for this offense. He's McCaffrey Unproven. 

I don't see him as that kind of workhorse, and therefore no where near CMac (not that he would be anyways). But he's that kind of player. 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 1:28 PM, Darrell Green Fan said:

So, the 2017 Bryce Love was the runner we had all hoped to see. Trouble is that we ended up with the 2018 RB.  2017 was an incredible season and 2018 was expected to be aa good or better since Love was to take the lions share of snaps as McCaffrey ledt for the NFL, and Stanford returned 4 of their 5 OL. What happened was opponents had 8-9 in the box and Love, who’s on the small side, had to earn every yard. Whereas the year before, he was brought in to relieve McCaffrey and saw huge holes where Love would sprint untouched past the DL.  

That’s why I’m thinking the above tweet by Mark Bullock is significant regarding Gibson. Love was far more productive when McCaffrey was the main target as the D was likely caught off guard thinking the back may come out into the slot and run a wheel-route. Bryce Love took advantage of that. But when he was the featured back and was not a threat to catch, it became old-school defense and Love faltered. 

So, as Mark Bullock pointed out, does the safety cheat up thinking Gibson is going to come to the slot?  With a split backfield, Sam and Will have to widen their gaps because you don’t know which side is a run or pass. Then, if it’s a wheel, a lagging LB has to trail the RB and the safety has to cover the top of the route. With 3 other receivers on the field, that could cause some major mismatches.  

it’s like the WCO on steroids. And, with split backs, that can add to better pass protection if the intended targets are the wide outs. Having a 6’0 228lb RB like Gibson should be a better blocker than Love at 5’9” and 205lb. 

If course, this is all in my imagination. But, our O-line being the way it is, 12- or 22-personnel sets might be a necessity rather than specialty set. 

Edited by JaxJoe
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

I'm not knocking the pick, its more if they picked him to be a RB its a wasted pick. If you are going to all Love and Guice non existent RBs than I will through Gibson a notch under that as an RB, why? Because Love and Guice are better RB talents, and Gibson is unproven and can get injured as well.

Really like the pick if they are lining him up with McLaurin

Gibson’s injury history concerns you but not Guice and Loves? 

So the Gibson pick is definitely intriguing. I like his play making ability. And like Ron said, his ability makes the offense better. Ron mentioned that Scott Turner liked Gibson and (for the most part) stood on the table for him. So today it got me to thinking why does Scott like Gibson. Come to find out that Scott runs a lot of motion and shifts. This is a great way to set up mismatches. So I'm seeing Gibson, Bryce, Guice and the other two newly acquire RB shifting out of the backfield, matching up against linebackers, which is great. This also creates different looks to confuse the defensive responsibilities, thus manufacturing busted coverage. Here's a vid from a Panther fan that does a good job with film speaking to all of this.

Edited by joeken24
add
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2