Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

28 minutes ago, tshile said:

all you have to do is pay attention to the news and you’ll see exactly who these “the economy must reopen”/“can’t stay closed forever” people are, and how they behave. 

at this point the only people that seem to take social precautions seriously are the ones that don’t want things to reopen right now or don’t think we’re ready for it. 

if you think we’re ready to reopen last week or this week or next week then you either don’t understand the issue or you’re not paying attention to general public behavior (and all the news surrounding it). I suppose both could be the issue. 

at this point, for me, going out in public is akin to driving after it snows around here: I’m not worried about me or my ability to drive in snow, it’s other people who have no business being out crashing into me that I’m concerned about. 

The reason we can’t reopen now is because people aren’t willing to do what needs to be done regarding the masks and temperature testing.   The lack of contact tracing, ect...  lack of a centralized plan... 

But are opportunities for memories being taken each day we are under quarantine?, Yes, of course they are. Which makes the need for people to do the first thing even more important.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

21 minutes ago, tshile said:

all you have to do is pay attention to the news and you’ll see exactly who these “the economy must reopen”/“can’t stay closed forever” people are, and how they behave. 

at this point the only people that seem to take social precautions seriously are the ones that don’t want things to reopen right now or don’t think we’re ready for it. 

if you think we’re ready to reopen last week or this week or next week then you either don’t understand the issue or you’re not paying attention to general public behavior (and all the news surrounding it). I suppose both could be the issue. 

at this point, for me, going out in public is akin to driving after it snows around here: I’m not worried about me or my ability to drive in snow, it’s other people who have no business being out crashing into me that I’m concerned about. 

At least you finally said what you had to say even if it was to a different post. 

i stated already there is a difference between opening now vs. we should be preparing for opening as we do need to open at some point, a distinction you are not making. WHat that time and point vis I do not know. Also, what "re-opening" looks like will very likely look very different than what it was before this pandemic. We should be using the time the economy is shut down to prepare for an open economy with a new serious health danger. But so far the administration has had no interest in preparing for the economy to re-open on that it re-open. 

So, my overall point was not that it needed to reopen now. In fact I made the case we are NOT ready at all. We have not done the things we should to prepare for a re-opening on the economy. That list of things was just a small part of what needs to be worked out. The current administration has done almost nothing. So re-opening now would be a disaster. But you apparently stopped at the first sentence. 

And just to be clear since you made the accusation otherwise - I have no problem following social distancing requirements for as long as needed and have been since our Mayor implemented shelter at home in Atl - a full several weeks before our idiot governor. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mooka said:

What if your breakfast is a bong rip and 2 cups of coffee?

I’m sorry. My breakfast consists of a half joint and 1 cup of coffee. Am I still qualified to have an opinion?!?! Lol

Edited by Die Hard
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

For me at least, my thought that the economy can't stay closed for much longer is related to the administration and the fact that they have 0 interest in handing out more money to keep people and business afloat.  It's clear that their goal is to pretend that all is swell, under control and that they've flipped the economy light switch on.  

Yeah but that means they’re doing a bad job handling the economic side of things. 

the situations of the pandemic is still the same 

“reopening” should have to meet the criteria laid out. No one is meeting in. And we’re seeing upticks where they’ve tried already. 

ive yet to see a reputable economist lay out how reopening would be better for the economy if the pandemic situation hasn’t changed. 

from what I see so far all reopening now (as in soon, without the pandemic situation changing) is going to take the disaster we were afraid of happening in March/April/May timeframe being pushed to June/July/August

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

No memories are being taken away (from some outside source). You have a belief that going to a new physical location is a necessary component to having a memorable experience. Which is just a limiting/disempowering pre-requisite (rules/conditions).

You are creating memories right now. And their only limited to your imagination. No such thing as ‘ordinary moments’, only people that are willing to tolerate ‘ordinary’ moments.

In these extraordinary times i find myself having 2 months of "ordinary moments".  It's Ground Hog Day. I get up, watch the news which is always the same every day, sit in my recliner and post online with the tv in the background,  Lather, rinse, repeat. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

In these extraordinary times i find myself having 2 months of "ordinary moments".  It's Ground Hog Day. I get up, watch the news which is always the same every day, sit in my recliner and post online with the tv in the background,  Lather, rinse, repeat. 

Isn’t that what so many people aspire to in their retirement? 🙂

Apparently, you are extraordinary at that! Because I couldn’t do that.

2 hours ago, tshile said:

The protest have been mostly right winged but I have heard, and seen, this from people on both sides of the party line.  People keep wanting to point fingers 1 way or another.  The percentages of reps is higher, independents more middle ground and dems less but that doesn't mean it's only the republicans that are out and about and wanting the states to reopen.  It always seems that if you don't agree one way or another then that means you are either a trump lover who believes everything is a hoax or a democrat who is trying to crash the economy.  People can be, and a number of them are, right in the middle.

The thing that drives me nuts is the if you do/think X then you have to be Y - just keeps driving the divide even more.

Not saying this is you specifically, just responding to the 'who they are and how they behave piece' and what i've seen/experienced.

Edited by steve09ru
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah but that means they’re doing a bad job handling the economic side of things. 

the situations of the pandemic is still the same 

“reopening” should have to meet the criteria laid out. No one is meeting in. And we’re seeing upticks where they’ve tried already. 

ive yet to see a reputable economist lay out how reopening would be better for the economy if the pandemic situation hasn’t changed. 

from what I see so far all reopening now (as in soon, without the pandemic situation changing) is going to take the disaster we were afraid of happening in March/April/May timeframe being pushed to June/July/August

I don't disagree.  The whole 'reopening American Again' was a complete farce  to give the illusion that there was legitimate medical and scientific thought put into re-opening the economy.  It was abundantly clear the day it was presented, considering there was way more talk about dealing with governors who don't open fast enough and not a word spoken about ramifications for anyone that opened too soon.  

• Like 1

What bothers me about some of the protesters and the sentiment I tend to hear from Fox News viewers is that they want to politicize the science/medical information itself.  Fauci's job is not to weigh economic factors when giving his professional opinion on the virus and/or measures it would take to properly minimize the impact of the virus.  All he is there for is to say "studies and information currently is showing........" and then move along and wait for new information to materialize and then share that.  He should not be pressured to modify his recommendations due to what it means for the economy because from a medical standpoint what it may or may not mean for the economy is irrelevant. 

Now with that said, it doesn't mean the Government has to follow Fauci's recommendations at a 100% clip at all times, but what they do have to do is weigh the benefit-risk factor in following, mostly following, somewhat following, following a little bit, or ignoring the medical advice from the experts. 

If everything is re-opened too quick and/or people think it is safe to back to "normal" too soon, and we end up having spikes of cases and end up back at square one where the healthcare industry cannot meet the demand of the volume of patients, then yes, the people who were demanding everything be re-opened should be viewed as having a strong part in the virus coming back with a fury.

If you want to take the opinion of "No risk is worth temporarily shutting down the economy for"  that's cool, just make sure to own it if you turn out to be wrong and it's found that not taking the proper precautions made the problem worse in the long run. 

Fox really hoping to get a confrontation going. They just been hanging out here for hours.

I will say, at least he isn't just encouraging this from his studio and is actually putting himself at risk, I guess....

Edited by visionary

1 hour ago, steve09ru said:

Not saying this is you specifically, just responding to the 'who they are and how they behave piece' and what i've seen/experienced.

Yeah I wasn’t trying to make it a political ideology thing. Though I agree it seems to skew a certain way. 

for me it’s more about understanding of the issue and priorities. 

if reopening the economy is your priority then you don’t understand the issue or you don’t care. (Speaking to the general “you”)

The only thing that’s changed since this started is:

testing is better but last I checked my state still requires doctors orders to get one

hospitals have had time to make adjustments but fundamentally were not significantly better off

vaccine makers have had time to get started but that’s still an 18 month process and the rush job is as concerning as it was 2 months ago

and people seem to be missing the point. Anecdotal examples of how people are following the rules does not make up for what seems to be the majority of public not following the the rules. 

people are letting the economics end surpass the people dying end (and I’ve yet to see someone actually account for the people dying end in their economic analysis of how reopening is better right now, they just ignore it)

if feels like what we’re doing, or about to do, is we took it kinda seriously for 6 weeks then decided **** it and we’re just going to see what happens. 

is there any respected epidemiologist or virologist suggesting they shut down is either overblown or now unnecessary?

I think the priorities are easy to see 

• Like 3

Gym defies Murphy and opens — lots of supporters, cops there  Read More: Gym defies Murphy and opens — lots of supporters, cops there

BELLMAWR — Police blocked off the entrance to the shopping center where a gym planned to open Monday morning in defiance of Gov. Phil Murphy's executive order closing businesses deemed non-essential.

Co-owners Ian Smith and Frank Trumbetti said they would open the Atilis Gym in the Browning Square shopping plaza in Bellmawr on at 8 a.m. Monday at 20% capacity.  Smith told NBC Philadelphia the business is being "strangled to death" by being closed.

People lined up outside the Atilis Gym in the Browning Square shopping plaza before dawn Monday, holding pro-Trump signs and American flags in support of the decision to open, according to tweets by Fox 29's Steve Keeley.

Police showed up around 7 a.m. with a public works crew and helped set up barrels to block the entrance to the shopping center as protesters chanted "Reopen New Jersey" and "Murphy's a tyrant," according to Keeley.

Other video posted by Facebook user  Michael Shapiro showed people on site chanting "we are not afraid" and "God bless Trump."

According to a Fox 29 report, about two dozen members were let into the gym after having their temperature taken and being handed a copy of the gym’s new rules meant to limit capacity and encourage social distancing.

Bellmawr Police do not yet appear to have made any arrests as of 10:30 a.m., according to news reports and witness accounts.

Click on the link for the full article

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Morality rate...🤦🏽‍♂️

Typo excluded (along with the idiots misunderstanding of what mortality rate is), I'm also curious about the numbers. Texas's current 2.7% rate is comparably fantastic (even if underreported in his chart) vs the national 6% average.  It's going to skyrocket now that they've gone to phase 2 or more (they have had record high cases for the last 2 weeks).

Also, Florida's mortality rate is slighly higher (4.27% vs 4.13%) than California's right now. So his actual point seems moot.

Edited by The Evil Genius

27 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah I wasn’t trying to make it a political ideology thing. Though I agree it seems to skew a certain way. 

for me it’s more about understanding of the issue and priorities. 

if reopening the economy is your priority then you don’t understand the issue or you don’t care. (Speaking to the general “you”)

The only thing that’s changed since this started is:

testing is better but last I checked my state still requires doctors orders to get one

hospitals have had time to make adjustments but fundamentally were not significantly better off

vaccine makers have had time to get started but that’s still an 18 month process and the rush job is as concerning as it was 2 months ago

and people seem to be missing the point. Anecdotal examples of how people are following the rules does not make up for what seems to be the majority of public not following the the rules. 

people are letting the economics end surpass the people dying end (and I’ve yet to see someone actually account for the people dying end in their economic analysis of how reopening is better right now, they just ignore it)

if feels like what we’re doing, or about to do, is we took it kinda seriously for 6 weeks then decided **** it and we’re just going to see what happens. 

is there any respected epidemiologist or virologist suggesting they shut down is either overblown or now unnecessary?

I think the priorities are easy to see 

I don't necessarily disagree but I feel like more has been done outside of the couple things you mentioned.  At least where I am at, and where I have been, folks have been doing a great job of social distancing and following guidelines.  You still have folks that don't but I wouldn't say the majority (more like 80%+ following guidelines in terms of masks and making a good effort to social distance themselves while in lines/stores).  Your call out on "anectotal examples not making up for what seems to be the majority" is doing just that in terms of an anecdotal assumption based off what you see so I think that can easily vary and probably does based on where you are.

I think businesses have learned a lot, and individuals as well, compared to when this first started.  I now see a ton of precautions taking place from masks/gloves, social distancing markers, how businesses handle orders/delivery, offering curbside, register shields and PPE, sanitation efforts, educational adjustments made, daycare's reducing capacity and only operating for essential workers, business flexibility to work from home where applicable.  Try the Beal had a great example of the successes they have had while staying open even with a case in 1 location.

I think what will be required is to be able to enforce certain measures from suspended business licenses and operations for those who don't comply similar to the restaurant that was recently in the news and how they didn't follow any sort of guidelines and had their whole operation suspended for 30 days (big hit when you could still do carry-out/delivery before).