Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

Our choices...

1)  Civil War, your side wins.  Meh.

2) Civil War, your side loses.  Meh.

3) Hang in there and hold the center. Defeat the virus and extremism simultaneously with patience and determination.  Catch a break and save the nation.  Maybe...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You've called me out before on that, that doesn't mean you we're wrong.

Fair enough. I'm not really wanting to call you out. I simply see venom misplaced. If you get the gist.

Certainly don't mean to insinuate that you are wrong. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This countries collective stupidity will be the undoing.  And the economic fallout of our stupidity will be catastrophic.  And no election will fix that stupidity.  The world will look at us, shake their heads, and move on.  The economic problems will end up ripping the country apart.  I don’t see a blue vs. grey civil war. But plenty of mass civil violence due to horrible economic conditions.  People thinking Canada or Mexico or some other countries will take us in I think are wrong.

There's a difference between being prepared and expecting it.  We got things like Consumer Confidence Index that if we don't collectively talk ourselves off the ledge from will crater.  That's fear winning from its couch.

25 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

That’s why I at least wonder if opening up the economy more wouldn’t make us better off in the long run.  Though I have no problem acknowledging that I really have no clue what I’m talking about either.

Scientists and economist typically have different goals and motives.

37 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Though I have no problem acknowledging that I really have no clue what I’m talking about either.

I was going to suggest you get off the Internet, turn off the news, and live your life for a while in the real world until you see that your inflamed rhetoric about a Civil War Part Deux is way overblown, but the quote above works just as well. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I was going to suggest you get off the Internet, turn off the news, and live your life for a while in the real world until you see that your inflamed rhetoric about a Civil War Part Deux is way overblown, but the quote above works just as well. 

I got no problem admitting I am or could be wrong.  But if we were all 100% sure about everything, there wouldn’t really be much need fora chat board, would there?

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Everyone in this thread needs to smoke a joint or have an edible and listen to your favorite chill music. Extreme skins smokefest 

I retire in just under 2 years.  I’ll be happy to join then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Everyone in this thread needs to smoke a joint or have an edible and listen to your favorite chill music. Extreme skins smokefest 

"I was gonna fight in a civil war, then I got high..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

This thread has gone of the rails. Would anyone have a link with the date restrictions were eased and number of Confirmed corona infections ? To see if there is a huge spike? Like a big comprehensive graph, worldometer kinda works but I can’t find state data. 

Check the projections column in Wolrdometer.  For example for VA:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/virginia

and CA:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/california

• Like 1

In an effort to get us back to the OP topic - The real issue with opening back up is not whether we should or not - of course the economy has to be reopened. Fact is shutting things down should not be counted on as the cure to the pandemic. It should have been used as a time to reset ourselves and get prepared for an open economy with a deadly disease in our midsts. There are many questions that should have been addressed during this time:

For example: 

1. Appropriate testing be made available - both pre-test and anti-body testing. 

2. Do the research to understand what the medical requirements will be - hospital space, PPE, personel, etc. ANd how can that be managed so the resources are as fluid as possible - if MN needs more than Idaho, make it happen. 

3. Containment plans for new outbreaks to keep them from moving. 

4. What financial support needs to be made available so people do not lose everything. I like that the Dems are trying help everyone they can, but there is a limit. Do we really need to provide $100Ms for arts and humanities (just one example of unnecessary funds)? In the regular budget? Of course. I support the Arts 100%. But this is an emergency. We need to get real help to real people. And reps need to stop pandering to their corporate donors. Mitch wanting liability relief for businesses making people come back to work is a slap in the face of every working person in America. How do we support both people and businesses in a meaningful way? 

5. What is the realistic timeline for a vaccination and how will it be distributed, administered and tracked? This is the ultimate solution. If there is no clear path then we have to make those plans too. WE need to plan as if no vaccine will ever be discovered. 

6. Dems will not like this as most I know do not want to put even more money into the military, we may need to right now, SO, how do we ensure our military a defenses are kept strong? This is a prime time to come after the US, either financially, electronically or by dragging us into unneeded wars elsewhere. All could thin our military to the point where an actual attack is possible - not fear mongering here. This is part of future planning - plan for the worst hope for the best. 

7. If we have to shut down again, how can that be done with the least amount negative impact. And how can we make it uniform? Federal government needs to lead but with the states input. I know this an odd thing, but maybe work together. 

Those are just a few the more important questions i can see. People much smarter than me I am sure know many more and can articulate those and what I have listed above better.

The bottom line i see no signs that any of that has happened outside small pockets within states. Our current administration has not done the work to be proactive and ensure the time closed has been value added. They agreed to the states shut downs on their own time (something they actually do not have control over) and washed their hands of responsibility - no pun intended. 

All these state openings will be fine until the one that opens up the spread of illness in a rapid pace. Without plans in place to find, isolate, and prevent spread there will be mass fear. And what? Close everything again? Then what? How many jobs, businesses, lives will be lost? 

The only way I see out is a change in leadership as the current leadership has not shown the capacity to admit mistakes and learn from them, the key to be a great leader. Hey, maybe I am wrong and the federal gov will roll out a 15+ pt extensive recovery plan. But I am not holding my breath - at least not while my mask is on and I can breath freely. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 5:36 PM, skinsmarydu said:

While we're only doing to-go orders, my boss made sure we all have face shields, disposable aprons, and gloves galore. 

We had a private conversation yesterday. He told me we're not going to reopen the dining room until all precautionary measures are no longer necessary, which means it's gonna be a while. 

I won't get my first check since coming back until Tuesday, but I was told that our pay has been majorly boosted & that my eyes will bug out when I see it. 😎

My sister in Atlanta went back to work last week at the restuarant where she works.  She was only responsible for one table througout the day so didn't make as much as usual.  She wears a mask and gloves and isn't allowed to touch anything dirty-meaning if something has to be cleared, she has to ask one of the people responsible for that to do it.

Edited by First Colony
  • Sad 1

Your #6 is bizarre and perpetuates a dumb myth that Dems don’t want a prepared military. No one is coming after the US during a world pandemic for multiple reasons but starting with the fact the world is dealing with this. Seriously, who would try to pick a fight with the US now?

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Your #6 is bizarre and perpetuates a dumb myth that Dems don’t want a prepared military. No one is coming after the US during a world pandemic for multiple reasons but starting with the fact the world is dealing with this. Seriously, who would try to pick a fight with the US now?

Since i never said dems do not want a strong military, it is you who is perpetuating a "dumb myth". Maybe I could have worded it better, but the point was many dems/progressives will not want to put more money into the military at this time but it may be necessary. 

I love that you read an entire comment and picked one small part of it to be offended by. It's like the only reason you read it was to find a way to be critical instead of having a value added conversation. 

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Since i never said dems do not want a strong military, it is you who is perpetuating a "dumb myth". Maybe I could have worded it better, but the point was many dems/progressives will not want to put more money into the military at this time but it may be necessary. 

I love that you read an entire comment and picked one small part of it to be offended by. It's like the only reason you read it was to find a way to be critical instead of having a value added conversation. 

yes, the only reason I read things is to be critical and not add value to a conversation. I’ve been figured out after all these years. 

some of y’all should really take up meditation It’s good for the soul. In fact, add that to the list of things needed to reopen. 

Edited by Hersh

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

In fact, add that to the list of things needed to reopen. 

I liked the image somebody posted a while back, along the theme of "We're ready to re-open when:", followed by a list of things like:  

Employees of a business can tell people that they can't come in without a mask, and not get shot.  

And concluded "We are not ready to re-open"  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, First Colony said:

My sister in Atlanta went back to work last week at the restuarant where she works.  She was only responsible for one table 

If you don't mind sharing where she works via PM, maybe I can go "help her out". 😁🤑

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Fox really hoping to get a confrontation going. They just been hanging out here for hours.

The owners wearing US flag masks is just so perfect for that group. Every moron there without a mask and not caring about social distancing is why we can't reopen more. 

Edited by Hersh

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

I don’t think the people  starting arguments with things like “obviously we have to reopen” or “you can’t keep things shut down” realize how their words/argument betray them. 

LOl you guys are hilarious.      So what exactly is so egregious about "obviously we have to re-open?"  Is it your contention the economy stay closed forever? Was never the intent of shutting things down - or at least should not have been - and that was the point you either missed or chose to ignore. 

Now had I said we need to reopen now - then Ok fair enough. But that is not what i said at all. My point was that we have not used the time shut down properly and thus not ready to open up. That the shut down should time should have been used more wisely than it appears to have been used. 

• Like 1