Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

We can talk about people spending frivolously all we want and while there is some truth to it (the extent varies so much person to person though) at the end of the day, wages are the problem.   You can attack someone for having an iphone or playstation and call it frivolous but those items are not ultimately what is keeping people from having a savings account.  It is stagnant wages when expenses continue to rise at a higher rate.  Corporations have been working in unison with most of the Gov't to shift wealth & resources upwards and this pandemic situation has likely exposed that fact to a wider audience than any politician could have. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I wondering if anyone who paid via electronic submission in 2018 (or 2019) has gotten their EIP check yet?

I'm still locked out and the wife's ssn shows the same non-message. I wonder if we need to do something extra since we paid in 2018 rather than getting a refund?

We're in the exact same position (so is my son) - paid via electronic submission in 2018 & haven't filed for 2019 yet. And no check.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

We can talk about people spending frivolously all we want and while there is some truth to it (the extent varies so much person to person though) at the end of the day, wages are the problem.   You can attack someone for having an iphone or playstation and call it frivolous but those items are not ultimately what is keeping people from having a savings account.  It is stagnant wages when expenses continue to rise at a higher rate.  Corporations have been working in unison with most of the Gov't to shift wealth & resources upwards and this pandemic situation has likely exposed that fact to a wider audience than any politician could have. 

Wages have essentially been flat with respect to CPI adjusted inflation.  https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/08/07/for-most-us-workers-real-wages-have-barely-budged-for-decades/

The prices of electronics have generally come down and quality has gotten better (same with clothes).  (In general, things where productivity is up because of machines, prices have fallen.  Now, in many cases, that decrease in price has been coupled with an increase in consumption so household spending has stayed constant.)

It is only a very small subset of things that are actually increasing in price.  Home prices being one of them.  And even for homes, the price of homes is largely tied to the size of homes.  CPI doesn't include home prices.  It includes rent.

https://www.supermoney.com/inflation-adjusted-home-prices/

In real terms, new homes are about the same value as they were 50 years ago (when you take into account the size of the house).  But people don't really need larger homes, especially over the last 50 years the average family has gotten smaller.  But people are still spending more money for those homes.

With this respect, the problem is not wages.  The problem is people are buying bigger homes than people did 50 years ago when they don't really need the extra space.

(I'll also point out that consumer driven consumption partially drives income inequality.  When you rush out to buy the latest iphone where does the money go?  To corporations, to stock holder, to the wealthy.  You've transferred money from yourself to the wealthy.  The tax code and other government actions have partly driven wealth inequality in this country, but so has changes in the consumer behavior of the average American.)

11 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

We're in the exact same position (so is my son) - paid via electronic submission in 2018 & haven't filed for 2019 yet. And no check.

Me too.

Edited by PeterMP

Plain and simple, saving is not apart of the American culture.  Savings for your family is big into the Asian culture. I learned from childhood how to save.  

Easy example.   People willing to spend their tax return when they get it or they want to get a tax return in this country.  I rather pay than get a return 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I'm thinking that's the explanation and the IRS isn't paying those who did that out yet. It can't be simply that they don't have the routing info (they do)..i just wish the portal recognized us. Makes me just a little nervous that the check won't be coming. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterMP said:

I don't think the education system has changed in terms of how we teach people to save/spend in the last 60 years. 

You're right.  Problem is everything else in the world HAS changed in the last 60 years.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I wondering if anyone who paid via electronic submission in 2018 (or 2019) has gotten their EIP check yet?

Yes.

55 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm thinking that's the explanation and the IRS isn't paying those who did that out yet. It can't be simply that they don't have the routing info (they do)..i just wish the portal recognized us. Makes me just a little nervous that the check won't be coming. 

Just pointing out, I'm aware that some financial institutions have different account numbers for checks and deposit slips. (Or at least, some did, decades ago. Had an account that did that, once.)

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

What program/site did you use, if you don't mind me asking? Trying to determine if it's specific to certain companies (as the article yesterday sort of indicated).

For example TaxAct, H&R Block, etc. 

Not sure honestly.  My wife handles all that.  Pretty sure it was Turbo Tax.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm still locked out and the wife's ssn shows the same non-message. I wonder if we need to do something extra since we paid in 2018 rather than getting a refund?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/16/politics/why-didnt-i-get-my-stimulus-money/index.html

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

So....about those loans to small businesses. I just talked to a friend of mine who owns a restaurant here in Richmond. He said he filed his paperwork within hours of the loans being offered & he's still waiting to hear if he's getting money. He said it's been approximately 2 weeks & no word. People he's talked to (not at the bank) have told him the holdup is at the SBA. For now, he's trying to drum up business, pay his employees & pay his bills. **** show. 

I've been working with the SBA for years and starting back in 2013 they did a great job of streamlining the process and its actually not as difficult as many think but they were not ready for this.

Typically the communication is great but now they have shut off normal communications just as the IRS has.  It's extremely difficult to get status updates and so far the people we have funded are the ones who have current SBA loans or run substantial cash flow through the issuing bank.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thelongestbreath said:

Same for my wife and I.  Paid electronically in 2018, haven't filed 2019 yet.  Status shows not available

I paid via paper check on 4/15.  We also made just a little over the threshold, to where we'll get a little short of the full stimulus payment.  Those two things together lead me to believe it will be months, if ever, that we actually receive it.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I paid via paper check on 4/15.  We also made just a little over the threshold, to where we'll get a little short of the full stimulus payment.  Those two things together lead me to believe it will be months, if ever, that we actually receive it.

My wife and I are beginning to feel the same way.  We are almost in the exact same boat.  We should get around 2400(my wife, my daughter, and I) based on the income calculators we have used to determine amount.  It's always interesting to me how the Government can verify information and run seamlessly when they take money from you versus when they're giving out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

It's always interesting to me how the Government can verify information and run seamlessly when they take money from you versus when they're giving out.

Just pointing out, the government has spent decades working on a system for doing the first.  This latter task got created out of thin air, what, two weeks ago?  

6 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

My wife and I are beginning to feel the same way.  We are almost in the exact same boat.  We should get around 2400(my wife, my daughter, and I) based on the income calculators we have used to determine amount.  It's always interesting to me how the Government can verify information and run seamlessly when they take money from you versus when they're giving out.

It's annoying that we can't update our info either.  Fine, tell me you don't know my status - but atleast let me give you my bank info for when you do.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 1:58 PM, skinfan2k said:

Plain and simple, saving is not apart of the American culture.  Savings for your family is big into the Asian culture. I learned from childhood how to save.  

Easy example.   People willing to spend their tax return when they get it or they want to get a tax return in this country.  I rather pay than get a return 

getting a tax return is a form of saving though. You are only getting back what you overpayed in taxes...