Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's annoying that we can't update our info either.  Fine, tell me you don't know my status - but atleast let me give you my bank info for when you do.

I agree.  However, I can't forgive your glitchy Government system for not knowing my status.  You have my transcript from 2019 for our 2018 taxes.  You've received my w2s which also show on their website.  All they have to do is have a system that can scan their own information, look at the results, and say..."yep they meet the threshold."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

getting a tax return is a form of saving though. You are only getting back what you overpayed in taxes... 

overpaying taxes is stupid 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just pointing out, the government has spent decades working on a system for doing the first.  This latter task got created out of thin air, what, two weeks ago?  

I also understand this point as well.  However, the system created should very well run smoother since it's linked to information from the properly working decades old system...or at least it should be, which would make things a lot more efficient(not entirely positive that the two run parallel with each other) 

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m not disagreeing, but it is a form of saving...

The Feds do not pay interest, so you are losing money by overpaying versus earning money at zero risk.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Obviously... and most poor people will be paying interest on the saving, in the form of credit card interest. But it’s a still a form of saving...

Money not paid upfront and held as available in the present time is worth more than the same amount in the future as a tax return.

Plus you can over a year save your eventual tax payment and minimize your total outlay of taxes paid by offsetting it with a little interest gained by saving.

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Obviously... and most poor people will be paying interest on the saving, in the form of credit card interest. But it’s a still a form of saving...

I have no idea what you are talking about but it seems that you are recommending that poor people loan money interest free to the Federal government.

And if they kept the money they would instead incur credit card debt?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

Money not paid upfront and held as available in the present time is worth more than the same amount in the future as a tax return.

Plus you can over a year save your eventual tax payment and minimize your total outlay of taxes paid by offsetting it with a little interest gained by saving.

Yea, that’s what I said...

46 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just pointing out, the government has spent decades working on a system for doing the first.  This latter task got created out of thin air, what, two weeks ago?  

35 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

I also understand this point as well.  However, the system created should very well run smoother since it's linked to information from the properly working decades old system...or at least it should be, which would make things a lot more efficient(not entirely positive that the two run parallel with each other) 

A program with <100 lines of code could be written & tested in 2 hours. And if they didn't talk to the appropriate people about how long the whole process from design to distribution of checks would take then **** them. Actually, why would I expect them to plan anything? They continue to show the foresight to plan up to the start of the daily presser.

4 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

I have no idea what you are talking about but it seems that you are recommending that poor people loan money interest free to the Federal government.

I am saying that instead of withholding extra money, they would be better off using that savings to pay of their debt(like credit card debt) as they are charged interest on the debt.  Eg, they are being charged interest for saving...

All I am saying is that paying extra taxes is a form of saving. You all are trying to argue about a point I’m not making.  

but I mean, if you love your country 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

11 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Hey it makes more sense than buying lottery tickets

11 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Actually, why would I expect them to plan anything? They continue to show the foresight to plan up to the start of the daily presser.

I haven't watched any of the campaign speeches.  Have you seen things in them that look ike they were planned?  

I just want to take a moment to point out that the crap you all, and others, are going through is exactly why I championed sending everyone a check immediate instead of playing this stupid game of “who deserves/needs it” and “who doesn’t deserve/need it”

setting aside for a moment the dumb logic that if your household income is over a certain amount (and seemingly that fact alone) is supposedly a marker for who needs/deserves stimulus or not (cause that’s all sorts of stupid but not my point. ) also setting aside the fact that stimulus is more than just getting people who need money to not fall into financial ruin but is also to pump money into the economy via increased consumption by people who don’t need money for food and bills but aren’t spending like they used to because they’re scared (this would describe me and many others who still have jobs paying them but cut back expenses hard core because we’re scared) as @No Excuses and others have laid out multiple times. 

so setting those two additional reasons why this is stupid aside, to get to the main reason this is stupid that’s affecting people...

our government is slow, inept, and not agile at anything it does other than blowing things up in other countries. 

this situation was easily seen and predictable. 

of course it should be easy. Lots of things should be easy for our government. But they do this every time. 

so now out of some stupid notion of fairness, or what’s right, or trying to only take care of the “deserving” people, you’ve got a lot of people not getting the checks when they need them

and not getting any answers as to why, or how to fix it. 

and how many people aren’t going to get checks because their 2018/2019 tax filings for household income don’t reflect their current situation?

and unemployment is the fall back?! What about reduced hours/wages?!

it’s dumb. This is an economic crisis that appears to be headed for Great Depression levels. Instead of propping the economy up to head it off we’re playing dumb games and people will be hurt by it. And the economy will suffer more. 

people who talk about how easy this stuff is supposed to be don’t seem to understand how any of it works. Or have never paid attention before. We’re relying on two systems to do something extraordinary they weren’t built for because no one has the guts to force what’s right to be done. 

we need decisive and grand actions here’s. Instead we’re dicking around 

• Like 1

In the purest sense it is better to owe the government than have them owe you. You get to keep your money and make it weork for you. I personally target owing from $500 to $1000. I get there most times.

However, if you are in a low income bracket and also know yourself to not have the best spending habits, letting the government can keep your money and then get it back is a good way for that person to save. Yes, it may cost them a few pennies, maybe even a few $s, although savings accounts pay almost nothing, but everyone's situation is different. I can see younger people and anyone else with a low income that it might be easier for them to just let the govt hold the money and it costs them almost nothing. 

Someone brought up they would pay more in credit card debt. It's possible. But again if they are not making much money they were likely to do that any way. The delta will most likely be  pennies or at the most a few dollars. 

But I would not call those people "stupid" as someone above did. Each person has a different situation. They have to make the best decision for them. 

Edited by goskins10
typos
  • Like 4

Generally speaking loaning money interest free for seemingly no reason is dumb. 

but some people know if they play that game they’ll wind up putting themselves in a hole that will make life harder. 

so they accept their refund every year knowing that’s the safest way. 

leave people alone. As long as they’re doing what is best for them who cares. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

But I would not call those people "stupid" as someone above did. Each persons has a different situation. They have to best decision for them. 

The act of paying more than you owe is stupid, if you are carrying CC debt it is even stupider.

a person that acts stupid in some way is not necessarily stupid

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I haven't watched any of the campaign speeches.  Have you seen things in them that look like they were planned?  

No, not at all. Sorry...I was in a hurry and wasn't clear. They are incapable of planning anything.  

Sigh. It gets worse for us who paid electronically last tax year.

Here is the planned weekly schedule for the IRS to mail stimulus checks based on annual adjusted gross income, as first reported by The Washington Post. All dates represent the “week ending” (for example, the week ending April 24) and the IRS could change this schedule at any time.

• Less than $10,000: April 24
  • $10,001 - $20,000: May 1
  • $20,001 - $30,000: May 8
  • $30,001 - $40,000: May 15
  • $40,001 - $50,000: May 22
  • $50,001 - $60,000: May 29
  • $60,001 - $70,000: June 5
  • $70,001 - $80,000: June 12
  • $80,001 - $90,000: June 19
  • $90,001 - $100,000: June 26
  • $100,001 - $110,000: July 3
  • $110,001 - $120,000: July 10
  • $120,001 - $130,000: July 17
  • $130,001- $140,000: July 24
  • $140,001 - $150,000: July 31
  • $150,001 - $160,000: August 7
  • $160,001 - $170,000: August 14
  • $170,001 - $180,000: August 21
  • $180,001 - $190,000: August 28
  • $190,001 - $198,000: September 4
  • Remaining checks: September 11

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

A program with <100 lines of code could be written & tested in 2 hours. And if they didn't talk to the appropriate people about how long the whole process from design to distribution of checks would take then **** them. Actually, why would I expect them to plan anything? They continue to show the foresight to plan up to the start of the daily presser.

Do you know Cobol? Alot of government software uses that language.