Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

😂

It's class warfare bull****. She has no idea what their financial situation was, or currently is. She's basing it all off the type of car they drive.

And if i started telling you all these other people don't need money because they should have saved some beforehand, you'd recognize it as bull****.

but because it's an expensive car you drop your blinders down and just run with it.

Class warfare??  Wow that's pretty extreme for a simple observation about that either someone is taking advantage of a system that should not or that should have been smarter about their purchases so that missing a few weeks pay check means you need to sit in a food line.  

Fair enough, neither of those may be true. For example the car could have been a gift. Or maybe it was paid off a few yrs ago but then they lost their job last year. 

I get both sides but I ask you at least see that what she said is just as possible as what you said. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

It's class warfare bull****. She has no idea what their financial situation was, or currently is. She's basing it all off the type of car they drive.

While I think you've got a valid point, Snarky Larry feels this overpowering urge to assert that every person who drives a Hummer does so because he wants people to judge him based on the car he drives.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

No! Just sayin that the cars in line look pretty damn pricey, and that money could have been saved. 

Damn.

So that makes the assumption that the people in the food lines with cars that aren't "pricey" could not have saved money by buying even cheaper cars?...or that they did save money by purchasing much cheaper cars...which means they shouldn't be needing free food because they saved all that money lol.

At any rate, I would find it difficult to determine anyone's individual situation right now based on the car they're driving. A lot of the pricier cars may be paid in full much like yours are. Also, there may be some in the regularly-priced cars who were earning more money than those in the pricier cars.

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

While I think you've got a valid point, Snarky Larry feels this overpowering urge to assert that every person who drives a Hummer does so because he wants people to judge him based on the car he drives.  

I think it's valid to make some assumptions based on around the cars one drives. I think it takes a certain person to drive something like a Hummer, Range Rover, etc. There are some exceptions, though.

I like sports cars. Something fast, agile, and good looking. Does that mean I'm compensating for something? Does it mean I have a small penis?

I mean, yes it does, and I do.

But, not every stereotype is true. Everybody's situation is different.

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Class warfare??  Wow that's pretty extreme for a simple observation about that either someone is taking advantage of a system that should not or that should have been smarter about their purchases so that missing a few weeks pay check means you need to sit in a food line.  

She wants them to sell their assets to afford food because, in her view, they have too expensive cars.

yes, that's called class warfare. Class warfare is not just rich people hating poor people for being poor. it's also poor people for hating rich people for being rich.

demanding certain people sell their assets to get food during a national crisis that includes an economic crisis, knowing nothing about them other than they drive an expensive car, is absolutely class warfare.

Fair enough, neither of those may be true. For example the car could have been a gift. Or maybe it was paid off a few yrs ago but then they lost their job last year. 

I get both sides but I ask you at least see that what she said is just as possible as what you said. 

or maybe with their job they could afford it, and now their job isn't paying them.

or maybe they got a hell of a deal on the car.

or maybe it's a lease and they can't even sell it cause they're paying 400$/month to lease an expensive car.

or maybe anything

the point is that the motive was to judge someone based on the car they drove.

swap a few things around and the same dumb logic could be used to justify why some poor people should get no help.

and some mean, biased people do use that logic to try to hurt poor people. we see it all the time. and that's what she's doing. being mean and biased. not clever or anything.

Edited by tshile

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

She wants them to sell their assets to afford food because, in her view, they have too expensive cars.

yes, that's called class warfare. Class warfare is not just rich people hating poor people for being poor. it's also poor people for hating rich people for being rich.

demanding certain people sell their assets to get food during a national crisis that includes an economic crisis, knowing nothing about them other than they drive an expensive car, is absolutely class warfare.

edit for space

None of us know the circumstances which I get is part of your point. But having seen many take advantage of things they should not I can see why the concern. 

Probably time to move on. 

My cars are a '99 Monte Carlo and an '04 Canyon. 

I don't judge. I'm just saying, no one ever thinks "all I have could be gone tomorrow". 

And I didn't either, until my husband shot himself right in front of me in December. 

Now, without a job either, I'm thankful we had the same frugal minds. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I've used Turbo Tax for the past 8-10 years. Did either of you have to pay the IRS on the tax return they're using to determine your amount? 

I haven't filed 2019 but we did pay online last year to the Feds..which make them unable to locate us so weird when I checked status of the EIP.

Also can we get back on topic please (this is now way off tangent even for Es Tailgate 😁)?

Hoping the IRS makes the necessary fixes to the EIP tracker soon. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thanks 2

I do get where @tshile is coming from.  It is profiling to point fingers at folks in food lines in what appear to be nice cars.  At the same time, I'm sure many people think the same thing as @skinsmarydu when they see that.  When you think food lines, you are predisposed to think 'poor people' and typically poor people don't drive nice vehicles.  

That said, for a large portion of our country, the more you make - the more you spend.  If you are all the sudden on the outside looking in, due to a layoff or you own a business that can't operate, it makes sense to take advantage of what's available to you, whether you previously made $10M or $10K last year.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Glad @tshile is here to give a voice to all you under-represented wealthy people in the country.

Keep up the good fight.  

:809:

Hey  man, sell all your assets before receiving help. You should have saved for something like this. So if you don't just sell them.

Then you can sign up for help.

You can ignore the ridiculously important aspect that no one is going to buy any of them right now, don't let that ruin the logic at all.

Cause that's how we like to treat everyone that needs help. Right?

I just advocate for treating people fairly. If we're going to make people liquidate before receiving assistance, fine. I've got cash reserves. Let's start making people liquidate.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It is profiling to point fingers at folks in food lines in what appear to be nice cars

When republicans do it, the democrats bring up wellfare queens.

She's doing the exact same thing. The only difference is she feels confident those people don't need it. Based on nothing more than the car they drive.

Republicans literally do this to poor people all the time, and the same people recognize it for what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s long been known that people in this country have funky spending habits. And that these habits to a large extent, support a consumer spending and debt driven economy that rests on top of a really flimsy social safety net. 

We’ve collectively made the choice to live in a society like this, and we all benefit from it when things are going well. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Anyone have any issues like this - checks sent to wrong accounts? If you have not received your money maybe this is why?   

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/stimulus-checks-being-sent-wrong-011537505.html

The EIP checker atleast shows you the wrong account #. Most of us that are missing the check get a no info found (payment status not available) when checking. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

when i run the tool it says there was an error

i used a third party service

but i didn't use any of their additional 'services' where the refund would go to them and not me - like using my refund to pay for the filing program/fees (they get the refund and then send me the rest), or getting my refund 'immediately' (they give you money now, and the refund goes to them, they skim off the top)

*shrug*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

when i run the tool it says there was an error

i used a third party service

but i didn't use any of their additional 'services' where the refund would go to them and not me - like using my refund to pay for the filing program/fees (they get the refund and then send me the rest), or getting my refund 'immediately' (they give you money now, and the refund goes to them, they skim off the top)

*shrug*

I was not asking for myself. I am not getting a check. But I saw the issue in the news and was wondering if anyone hear was seeing the issue. 

Great responses from everyone. Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

The "people won't work if they can make more on unemployment sitting at home" argument has been around for a long time, it didn't come as a result of this pandemic, however it is being conjured up again likely to sway more people into making changes to unemployment in the future during normal times when things "go back to normal"  The truth is, sure there are always going to be a tiny percentage of people who look for ways to game the system, whether it is a lazy guy getting a few hundred dollars from the gov't on unemployment, or a guy like Jeff Bezos who is raking in billions yet doesn't pay taxes.   Personally I think it is more productive and for the betterment of society if we focus on the bigger fish before Mr Lazy guy.

I get that same message.  I mailed them a paper check to pay our taxes last year and went scrambling to make sure they cashed it - and they did on 4/24/19.  The other thing I thought of is that my wife and I are over the $150K mark, by just a little bit - but it means we will get less than the full amount.  I imagine that will only add to the timeline.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

The "people won't work if they can make more on unemployment sitting at home" argument has been around for a long time, it didn't come as a result of this pandemic, however it is being conjured up again likely to sway more people into making changes to unemployment in the future during normal times when things "go back to normal"  The truth is, sure there are always going to be a tiny percentage of people who look for ways to game the system, whether it is a lazy guy getting a few hundred dollars from the gov't on unemployment, or a guy like Jeff Bezos who is raking in billions yet doesn't pay taxes.   Personally I think it is more productive and for the betterment of society if we focus on the bigger fish before Mr Lazy guy.

For me - again the guy who agrees with a true UBI - if you remove the means testing and just give it to everyone, then all these arguments go away. There is nothing fair or unfair. It just is. Everyone gets a check. The additional checks to cover the "rich" pale in comparison to those who would now get a check that needs it and will use it. 

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

I just advocate for treating people fairly.

So.... of all people being treated fairly, you're worried about the upper-middle class getting theirs?

Are you sure that's not self-serving?

:huh:

Just messing with you man. I actually have little to no opinion on the stimulus as I've been working and live in the mountains.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I think it's valid to make some assumptions based on around the cars one drives. I think it takes a certain person to drive something like a Hummer, Range Rover, etc. There are some exceptions, though.

I like sports cars. Something fast, agile, and good looking. Does that mean I'm compensating for something? Does it mean I have a small penis?

I mean, yes it does, and I do.

But, not every stereotype is true. Everybody's situation is different.

I drive a fast car and tell people I have a small penis. its called a double bluff, i actually have a large penis

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Mooka said:

So.... of all people being treated fairly, you're worried about the upper-middle class getting theirs?

Are you sure that's not self-serving?

:huh:

Just messing with you man. I actually have little to no opinion on the stimulus as I've been working and live in the mountains.

I don't need the money. And i expect to pay for it. So i'm not really sure what's self serving about thinking the government shoudl just start sending everyone checks.

If I wanted to be a dick it'd be super esay to say I've got my cash reserves, **** the rest of you. But i've taken the opposite approach  - I think the government is here to prop everything up to save as many people from financial ruin as possible.

And I'm arguing relentlessly with my property manager friend that rent should be suspended for people in apartments until this works itself out. I actually think *all* loans and utilities should be suspended for *everyone* until this is worked out. Becuase I want people to feel confident they can stay home and their world wont collapse on them, so that people stay home and stop spreading the virus. And to quell fear that people are going to have no job, no home, and can't buy food; because panic is a nasty compounding factor.

So, I'm worried about everyone. Not just any particular class. I don't usually view the economic class a person falls into as some sort of measuring stick as to who they are a person.

I certainly don't try to guess a persons class then determine whether that makes them good enough to receive help in a crisis, or not.

PS: I love the mountains :)

(and honestly, my view of my friends in the uper class, is that they shouldn't get a bailout because they're reckless with their money. they make more than me and have put themselves in a position where they can't get by for more than a few weeks. and i'd love the opportunity to to rub in their face that i'm better at finances than them. cause ultimately we like to do that to each other

but i also know, based on data, that that sort of attitude will lead to an economic collapse that will take me down with them even though I've been responsible with my families finances. and rooting for someone to lose everything they have seems like taking the whole 'jokingly poking fun at each other' thing a little too far )

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1