Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

I have a concern

What I'm upset about is the cars in food lines. Anyone seen this? They're Hummers, Cadillacs, things that have at least $300/monthly payments. I own 2 vehicles, the newest is an 04 Canyon. Haven't had a car payment in almost 20 years. 

I'm sorry, you better give up your badass ride for food. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Sigh.

GL getting your money anytime soon if you used a 3rd party filer like HR Block or TurboTax.

Ive used HR Block Online for the last 15 years and got my money direct deposited on Wednesday.  Saw that article and figured it was just some media bull****.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I have a concern

What I'm upset about is the cars in food lines. Anyone seen this? They're Hummers, Cadillacs, things that have at least $300/monthly payments. I own 2 vehicles, the newest is an 04 Canyon. Haven't had a car payment in almost 20 years. 

I used to work in mortgage loss mitigation, throughout the entire financial crisis.  I can’t tell you the amount of people that demanded mortgage relief yet had big $ car payments, and other debts, to where if they downsized their life, it would be a lot easier to help them with their mortgage.  The amount of people that couldn’t fathom that was remarkable.

That said, it’s hard to say what any individual is going through.  It’s probably not the best time to sell your vehicles.  So many people have been hit with this unexpectedly and most Americans spend $2 on every dollar they make to begin with.  That spans across all income levels.  Sad but true.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Ive used HR Block Online for the last 15 years and got my money direct deposited on Wednesday.  Saw that article and figured it was just some media bull****.

I can vouch that it"s not (entirely). Also it appears that the IRS is occasionally sending the eip checks to wrong account numbers. 

Also per that article,

IRS and Treasury officials acknowledged they are aware of these issues and are working to fix them.

Edited by The Evil Genius

33 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I have a concern

I get your point and let me be clear that I am in agreement overall. Many people over spend on either a car or a house or both. Living within your means seems to be a foreign concept to many. 

The only thing I would say is that this has happened so fast that many may not have had a chance to react. And even if they did, selling a car in this market is likely to create a huge loss, especially on high end cars.

Hopefully this will change as part of the new normal. Kind of like the depression had on that generation. My gramma would take the buttons off shirts and save them well into her 70s. With 3 kids and husband having heart attacks regularly, she could not afford new buttons much less new shirts. She would fix buttons and then turn long sleeve shirts into short sleeve shirts then into rags to clean house. I expect to see a bit of that kind of thriftiness through fear come out of this. I realize I may be putting too much faith in people but I honestly believe at least some propel will do that. 

On a side personal note: It's interesting you mention car payments. I admit I like to have new cars. But I liked them more when I was never getting one paid for. I now have a 2015 Acura RDX with less than 50,000 miles on it that I paid off over 2 yrs ago. So every time I look at a car I really like (I have always wanted a BMW - like since 1980!), I always end up looking at what the payment would be not wanting to touch any savings. So far it is a very good enthusiasm killer for wanting a new car! 🙂  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

What if those people in hummers and Cadillacs can afford them and just want free food? 

A few people scamming the system is never worth making it too hard for others. I would always rather include some that shouldn't, than exclude some that should be. 

Never let perfect get in the way of really good. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Springfield said:

21 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I can vouch that it"s not (entirely). Also it appears that the IRS is occasionally sending the eip checks to wrong account numbers. 

Also per that article,

I've used Turbo Tax for the past 8-10 years. Did either of you have to pay the IRS on the tax return they're using to determine your amount? 

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Totally possible, but the juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze to me.  Those lines are super long.  I can't see waiting that out unless I needed it to put food on the table.

Hummer went defunct in 2010, so it could be plausible for someone driving a 10+ year old vehicle. (Vehicle shamming)

31 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Just because you got yours doesn't mean the article is bull****.

I can attest that I used a tax filing online service (one that's even recommended on the IRS site) to file mine, got the email notification that the IRS accepted the return, and still haven't received the stimulus deposit and am unable to check its status through the portal. There are millions like me. But the problem in my eyes is that the IRS has a ****ty user interface for checking your status. The information on why they can't verify your payment status is way too vague, they don't let you know that you're only allowed a limited number of attempts, they don't let you know that the database is updated once daily so you only need to check once a day, they don't tell you when that update occurs, so you don't know if it's been updated from the day before when you check...they just say they can't verify if you even qualify for a stimulus payment and send you to a generic FAQ page on their website.

They also aren't very specific in terms of the formatting of the info you put in--for example, your SSN: should it be just 9 digits or should it be formatted with the dashes included. And if you do put in the dashes, does the program understand to ignore them or does it get returned as an unknown SSN? I guarantee you people have been doing it both ways. The address entry is similar: if you have an apartment, do you enter your apartment number as "apt 1" or do you enter is as "#1"? Their help popup would seem to indicate that you enter it as "#1" but they don't directly specify this. If someone enters "apt 1" will that kickback your info as not being able to verify because the system was expecting "#1"? on my tax return my apartment number is missing for some reason, even though I know I included it. So do I include my apartment number when using their portal, or do I leave it off as it appears on my tax return? Is their system smart enough so that you don't have an exact letter/number-for-letter/number match, or will even one aspect of your info being off result in not finding a match?

Disclosure: I've been doing user interface design and formative usability testing for 20 years now lol...all this **** jumps out at me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

so you're giving up your car too then?

That was not the point. She has 2 old cars that are very much paid for vs brand new cars, and expensive cars at that. So when she said get rid of the badass car it means get a more affordable car not get rid of all cars and walk. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, goskins10 said:

That was not the point. She has 2 old cars that are very much paid for vs brand new cars, and expensive cars at that. So when she said get rid of the badass car it means get a more affordable car not get rid of all cars and walk. 

Yeah I know.

The point is that her view is based on someone being able to afford a nice car prior to an outbreak.

The 'sell your stuff so you can afford food' is a bull**** argument born out bias because someone else chose to have a nicer car. It's class warfare bull****. Sorry you don't have a nicer car. Sorry they do. Get over it.

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

I distinctly said mine have been paid off for decades. 

So what? You're telling people to sell their assest during a crisis to buy food. It's a bull**** argument.

Who's even going to buy it right now for them to sell it to? 😂

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Yeah I know.

The point is that her view is based on someone being able to afford a nice car prior to an outbreak.

The 'sell your stuff so you can afford food' is a bull**** argument born out bias because someone else chose to have a nicer car. It's class warfare bull****. Sorry you don't have a nicer car. Sorry they do. Get over it.

Or it could be instead of over extending herself, she made better decisions so that when a situation like this happens she is better prepared. If you can't withstand being out of work for more than a few weeks than maybe you really shouldn't have bought that expensive a car to begin with. You clearly cannot afford it. It is anything but a bull**** argument and more than yours is. It's just a different point of view. 

I distinctly said mine have been paid off for decades. 

Just jumping in here lol...is it your assumption these people are skipping buying groceries during these times in order to make payments on their cars, and are instead taking the free groceries?... Or are you thinking they should give up their newer, fancier cars--sell them, I guess--and use that money for groceries instead of getting free food?

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Yeah I know.

And I'll never have to sell jack **** or lose my mind over stuff my kids don't have because I don't have any. 

Thinking long term is working out for me. 

(See why I don't think this thread is a good idea? )

Just now, goskins10 said:

Or it could be instead of over extending herself, she made better decisions so that when a situation like this happens she is better prepared. If you can't withstand being out of work for more than a few weeks than maybe you really shouldn't have bought that expensive a car to begin with. You clearly cannot afford it. It is anything but a bull**** argument and more than yours is. It's just a different point of view. 

😂

It's class warfare bull****. She has no idea what their financial situation was, or currently is. She's basing it all off the type of car they drive.

And if i started telling you all these other people don't need money because they should have saved some beforehand, you'd recognize it as bull****.

but because it's an expensive car you drop your blinders down and just run with it.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Just jumping in here lol...is it your assumption these people are skipping buying groceries during these times in order to make payments on their cars, and are instead taking the free groceries?... Or are you thinking they should give up their newer, fancier cars--sell them, I guess--and use that money for groceries instead of getting free food?

No! Just sayin that the cars in line look pretty damn pricey, and that money could have been saved. 

Damn.

And I'll never have to sell jack **** or lose my mind over stuff my kids don't have because I don't have any. 

All threads have their sore points. If we all always agreed then what would be the fun...  It's part of being Extreme Skins 🙂    And actually at least for me it's good to see and have the conversations. Can be a good place to air those thoughts. Maybe not. Maybe it ends up being a big complaint session. Hope not. So far it's mostly been decent discussion. 

6 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Same here

I'll just decide to stop supporting sending anyone money, cause they shouldn't need it, cause they should have made financial decisions the way i did.

Or maybe I'll just decide i think they're lazy and could work if they just were willing to try.

🙄

Edited by tshile