Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

ExoDus84

5 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I feel really bad for his now widowed wife and his other kids. Losing a husband (spouse) is bad enough but to also lose a child at the same time has to be a worst nightmare come true. The last thing in life a parent wants to do is bury one of their children. And his kids now have to finish growing up without their father and a sister.

My sincere condolences go out to his wife and children. A truly horrific situation. 

His youngest is less than a year old.  

Hug your kids, yall.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, justice98 said:

We just have to remember the other passengers were parents with their children too.  I dont want them to be afterthoughts in this. 

I worry about them in the sense that Kobe's surviving wife and kids have the entire NBA and sporting world ready and willing to comfort and  support them and resources for the years to come.  I hope they start being absorbed in the embrace because they're gonna need it just as much.

I don't think anyone is forgetting them - I know I am not. At the time - I had not seen a list of who else died. And this being a Kobe Bryant thread - that was the focus. But fair enough here is everyone who died. I do feel just as bad for them. In fairness those families are asking for privacy and all are part of the basketball family.  

John Altibelli is a long time College basketball coach. 

Peyton Chester was Gianna's best friend and a teammate. She was with her mom. No other info on her. 

Christina Mauser was the head coach of the team Gianna was on and is survived by a husband and 3 small children. The dad has spoken out. 

image.png.c06534acfed1983dbe5c026d6a15785c.png

• Like 1

Sports is one of the rare things that unites people from all walks of life. Tragedy as well. Sometimes those things intersect. I’m not a Lakers fan – but I love hoops, and I always appreciated Kobe’s greatness. One of the best to ever lace ‘em up.

His death resonated especially with me. Getting married changes you. Becoming a father changes you. Having a daughter changes you. He was only a year older than I. Granted, the mode of transport was on the mega-rich level – but when you really look at it, he was just doing something I, and all the dads I know do. Taking his kid to their activities and supporting her. Kind of take it for granted.

So many families and the pilot lost their lives – out of the blue. Kids taken too soon. Prayers with the families of ALL those from the crash. When your fam gets on your nerves - at least they are around to get on your nerves. Make the most of each day. Max out whatever you can control, and then you can live with whatever the results are.

• Like 3

I don’t really know what to say that hasn’t already been said in this thread.  Kobe Bryant was a man who transcended sport.  He was a cultural icon in America and throughout the world.  In his sport, he was revolutionary.  In his life, he was an inspiration to all who followed him.

One of life’s cruel truths is that if you survive, you get to watch all of those around you die.  Your friends, your family, your heroes.

The world lost a beacon when Kobe perished yesterday.  More so, Kobe’s surviving family lost their world.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Kobe's passion for whatever he was doing and incredible work ethic... well, you don't even to be a hoops fan to be admire those qualities. Truly special.

I was thinking on that earlier and while we admire that from a competitive standpoint, i'm not sure how healthy it is overall or was for kobe. He famously said "friends come and go, but banners hang forever".

Kobe was undoubtedly respected and revered, but i wonder how many relationships were sacrificed along the way. Just another part of what made him almost singularly unique

30 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I was thinking on that earlier and while we admire that from a competitive standpoint, i'm not sure how healthy it is overall or was for kobe. He famously said "friends come and go, but banners hang forever".

Kobe was undoubtedly respected and revered, but i wonder how many relationships were sacrificed along the way. Just another part of what made him almost singularly unique

that’s one of the things I remember fondly about him. He always had that attitude. Basketball is all that matters. He was singularly created to win. I was honestly worried about what he would do without basketball. I couldn’t see him in the booth or on TV. He was so competitive and cutthroat, would he just fall into depression with that huge void in his life? 

and then it just became really nice to see even before he retired how happy he seemed to be to finally be moving on. Then we see him dedicating himself to his family and his other creative outlets that he couldn’t exactly focus on. He showed us there was a next step, there was something after basketball. There is something after for all of us, regardless of what precedes the “after.” 

and that’s something really beautiful to reflect on, no matter what we get into in life. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

What made Kobe fascinating was how legitimately odd he was. Most black NBA stars are not relatively privileged teenagers who grew up overseas and spoke multiple languages.  He was weirdly uncool. Except he had a single-minded drive and focus where he decided that the culture would accept him as cool.

I wouldn't agree that he was uncool.  Artificial/studied in how he presented himself is probably the better word.  One of the things people have said about him as they grieve him is that he was the embodiment of LA.  LA is a locus of artificiality, but it's also a locus of cool.  He was one of the most polarizing players of his generation, and he was feared and respected, but one of the things that's kind of been a refrain since he died is that he was an aspirational figure for basketball fans.  It was because of his Patrician quality and public dignity and his very manifest intelligence, as well as the high focus on achievement and work ethic that he inspired a lot of people.  Not just black and Asian fans, I think his public persona made him culturally anodyne enough for a lot of white fans to connect to him too.  It's not usually cool to try so hard at stuff, but Kobe was cool.  He was like a member of the upper gentry, which is cool.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wouldn't agree that he was uncool.  Artificial/studied in how he presented himself is probably the better word.  One of the things people have said about him as they grieve him is that he was the embodiment of LA.  LA is a locus of artificiality, but it's also a locus of cool.  He was one of the most polarizing players of his generation, and he was feared and respected, but one of the things that's kind of been a refrain since he died is that he was an aspirational figure for basketball fans.  It was because of his Patrician quality and public dignity and his very manifest intelligence, as well as the high focus on achievement and work ethic that he inspired a lot of people.  Not just black and Asian fans, I think his public persona made him culturally anodyne enough for a lot of white fans to connect to him too.  It's not usually cool to try so hard at stuff, but Kobe was cool.  He was like a member of the upper gentry, which is cool.

I remember thinking early into their respective careers, Iverson & Kobe kinda always wanted and chased what the other had. Kobe had the glory, Iverson had that organic love. Sounds stupid to think of now, but Kobe wasn't really beloved by a certain element, at least not like Iverson was. Kobe's background made him a foreigner in so many places, which probably contributed to that legendary drive of his. Ball was the constant in his life, no matter his location

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

I remember thinking early into their respective careers, Iverson & Kobe kinda always wanted and chased what the other had. Kobe had the glory, Iverson had that organic love. Sounds stupid to think of now, but Kobe wasn't really beloved by a certain element, at least not like Iverson was. Kobe's background made him a foreigner in so many places, which probably contributed to that legendary drive of his. Ball was the constant in his life, no matter his location

I think it's like two different kinds of cool.  Iverson was edgy and real, Kobe was impressive.  My middle school was pretty much a 50-50 mix of black and white students, and thinking back to that time in the late 90's, I'm pretty sure almost every African-American boy in school either wore his hair in cornrows like Iverson or had a mini afro like Kobe.  They redefined the look of the league like MJ did before them, to the point where I'm not sure which was more influential on my generation.  I will say that the white fan definitely liked Kobe way more than they liked Iverson.  Even in Hampton Roads, there were a lot of white fans who didn't like iverson at all despite getting to see him doing all sorts of crazy achievements on the court here.  There was a big race-relations element to that.  Kobe's worldliness gave him a broader reach, and I think he will become even more influential posthumously.

I wasn't a fan of him as a player in a similar way to how I don't really love watching Russell Westbrook play but I respect him because of his competitiveness and drive to be great.  But I was enjoying post-retirement Kobe and I was looking forward to his emeritus basketball career.  One of the things that is singular about the NBA is that the true legends tend to remain highly visible ambassadors for the league and the sport.  They stay relevant and revered and they keep the ladder lowered for the next guys coming up.  Bill Russell coached after he retired as a player and is still Godfather to the league.  Dr J and Kareem remain similarly prominent and highly influential.  In some ways it feels like guys like Jerry West and Magic, Bird, and Jordan never left the league.  The accident is a wrenching tragedy for the families that were involved, and it doesn't feel right to marginalize that grief by the much larger conversation of the community of NBA lovers.  But for us who really love the NBA, one of the reasons Kobe's death is so shocking and sad is that, no matter whether you rooted for him or against him as a player, I think we were looking forward to him taking his place as one of those ambassador legends of the game like Russell and Kareem.  Kobe was one of that inner circle who had earned his place and understood the bigger picture, and you feel a very big sense of loss for the sport from his death.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Thanks.  Not a basketball fan at all.  Read he only played for the Lakers but then read he was drafted by the Hornets so just wanted to verify the info.

He told Charlotte that he would not play for them and wanted to play for the Lakers.  So they drafted him at #13, then traded him to LA for Vlade Divac because they needed a center.  

Love this article from Kobe talking about the rivalry with Iverson:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/kobe-bryant-allen-iverson-obsession-is-natural

On March 19, 1999, Iverson put 41 points and 10 assists on me in Philadelphia.

Working harder wasn’t enough.

I had to study this man maniacally.

I obsessively read every article and book I could find about AI. I obsessively watched every game he had played, going back to the IUPU All-American Game. I obsessively studied his every success, and his every struggle. I obsessively searched for any weakness I could find.

Here's the 41 point game in 1999 Kobe's talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNDj3ZlF2nM

And some highlights of the next game Kobe's talking about where he shuts down Iverson in the 2nd half: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh55SWYbhAk

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

This is an incredibly surreal account of the crash.

That was incredibly vivid.  The way he described it made it seem like the pilot was indeed disoriented and had no clue how close he was to the mountains.  He probably wasn't aware of his altitude either - which is odd because there as to be an odometer of some sort at the dashboard.  Still, he probably thought he was all up in the clouds still, since the fog line was right where he crashed, according to that witness.

Credit to whoever came up with the idea for back-to-back 24 second violations to start games in honor of Kobe.  If the games had to be played, that gesture was just the right touch... a poignant  pause at the start to remember an icon of the game.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1