Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Well here is something interesting. It would be great news if this turns out to be correct.

Financial Times:

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?segmentId=b385c2ad-87ed-d8ff-aaec-0f8435cd42d9

The new coronavirus may already have infected far more people in the UK than scientists had previously estimated — perhaps as much as half the population — according to modelling by researchers at the University of Oxford. If the results are confirmed, they imply that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment, said Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study. The vast majority develop very mild symptoms or none at all. “We need immediately to begin large-scale serological surveys — antibody testing — to assess what stage of the epidemic we are in now,” she said. The modelling by Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group indicates that Covid-19 reached the UK by mid-January at the latest. Like many emerging infections, it spread invisibly for more than a month before the first transmissions within the UK were officially recorded at the end of February..........

1 hour ago, twa said:

Our government is so stupid and late to the party.  

They made me (as a contractor) self quarantine for 14 days when I got back from St. Thomas because it was outside CONUS.  There was 0 confirmed cases of it there while I was there.

But had I flown back from NYC or SF, I wouldn't have had to self quarantine.

Complete lack of logic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Well here is something interesting. It would be great news if this turns out to be correct.

Financial Times:

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?segmentId=b385c2ad-87ed-d8ff-aaec-0f8435cd42d9

The new coronavirus may already have infected far more people in the UK than scientists had previously estimated —

But then why are the hospitalizations spiking now (even if the percentages are small as the paper suggests) And why are there so many negative test results (it if was as prevalent i would expect more community spread). And why did the quarantines in china and South Korea and Japan work?

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Financial Times:

The new coronavirus may already have infected far more people in the UK than scientists had previously estimated — perhaps as much as half the population — according to modelling by researchers at the University of Oxford. If the results are confirmed, they imply that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment, said Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study. The vast majority develop very mild symptoms or none at all. “We need immediately to begin large-scale serological surveys — antibody testing — to assess what stage of the epidemic we are in now,” she said. The modelling by Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group indicates that Covid-19 reached the UK by mid-January at the latest. Like many emerging infections, it spread invisibly for more than a month before the first transmissions within the UK were officially recorded at the end of February..........

The problem with her argument would be the cruise ships.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

But then why are the hospitalizations spiking now?  And why are there so many negative test results?

Not my study I just said I hope they were right.  Pure conjecture on first question but here goes - maybe they are spiking now because we are just now identifying/reacting to COVID19 and previous pneumonia hospitalizations weren't ID'd as COVID19 (Basically it was lost in the seasonal flu hospitalizations which have been worse than normal this year)???? As for the 2d question that is a bit easier they need to check for anti-bodies not COVID19 additionally they aren't checking most people who are not sick. BTW even if this Oxford study is wrong, checking for anti-bodies would be a good idea anyway as it would free up those people to return to work.

13 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

The problem with her argument would be the cruise ships.

Yep maybe. 

Edited by nonniey

Future conversation many of us will wind up in

”not that many died but we destroyed the economy”

yeah. But if we didn’t destroy the economy a **** ton more people would have died

”nah not that many died”

right..... because we took drastic measures to shut the spread down

”yeah but look at unemployment and  the stock market .....”

%&$#@&$&@%**%%^*&@@$&!!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

yeah. But if we didn’t destroy the economy a **** ton more people would have died

”nah not that many died”

Guess it depends on which study turns out to be correct. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

”nah not that many died”

I've already had very similar discussions with people about Italy and it's health care system.

"They were *supposed* to have a better health care system than us, but so many people are dying."

They're dying because the health care system is overwhelmed with thousands of patients.

"If they're being overwhelmed, they must not have had so good a health care system."

They're being overwhelmed because it's out of control! They have more beds per person than wee do and are STILL are overwhelmed.

"silent thousand mile stare"

A week later, they admit that it's bad in Italy.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Sad 1

Karma is a ****...

Somebody Was Infected With The Coronavirus After Attending A "Coronavirus Party" In Kentucky

Someone in Kentucky tested positive for the novel coronavirus after they attended a "coronavirus party" for people in their twenties, Gov. Andy Beshear said at a press conference Tuesday.

"Anyone who goes to something like this may think they're indestructible, but it's somebody else's loved one that they're going to hurt," Beshear said.

Beshear did not say when, where, or how many people attended what he called a "coronavirus party," but the governor criticized it as a "callous" act that could put people in grave danger.

"This is the part where I, the person that tells everyone to be calm, have to remain calm myself," he said. "This one makes me mad, and it should make you mad."

As he gave residents an update on the outbreak, Beshear took time to praise the actions of some in the community, such as a local university that donated protective equipment to medical personnel as well as local food service and bourbon companies that teamed up to make sanitizer for hospitals.

But the governor stopped during the middle of the press conference, warning people not to hold any more "coronavirus parties."

"We're battling for the health and even the lives of our parents and our grandparents, and don't be so callous as to intentionally go to something and expose yourself to something that can kill other people," he said. "We ought to be much better than that."

Click on the link for the full article

I'm surprised they're still even having cruises:

Holland America Cruise Sailing for Florida Has 87 Flu-Like Cases

Carnival Corp.’s Holland America Line said its Zaandam cruise ship has 40 guests and 47 crew with flu-like symptoms.

The company said Tuesday in an email that it deployed another ship carrying Covid-19 tests and other supplies to rendezvous with the vessel.

Might I recommend...

source.gif

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

So many stupid people...

Liberty University students returning to campus dorms amid coronavirus shutdowns

Officials in Lynchburg, Virginia, were fielding complaints Tuesday about the hundreds of students that have returned from their spring break to Liberty University, where President Jerry Falwell Jr. has welcomed them back amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“We could not be more disappointed in the action that Jerry took in telling students they could come back and take their online classes on campus," Lynchburg City Manager Bonnie Svrcek told The Associated Press.

if only Jack Van Impe were still around to tell us that coronavirus is a sign of the coming apocolypse and the return of Jesus.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

It’s scary as hell to me that the day after Trump said we wouldn’t let the cure be worse than the disease, that the stock market had it’s largest one day point gain of all time.

That was due to the news about the likely stimulus package, not Trump saying stupid ****. Of course stocks are going to skyrocket when corps know they're getting a huge ass chunk of government cheese that they don't have to pay back.