Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just saying, I wouldn't pay too much attention to sudden growth in the "people infected/deaths" numbers, because part of that growth is (hopefully) because we're testing more people.  

That's a good point, but the slope of the curve is I think greater than the slope of the curve of the increase in testing.

Trolley cartoon:

I think a better analogy is "You can pull the handle any time, and the trolley will begin to slow down two weeks after you pull the handle.  You can try pulling the handle part way.  But if you do, it will be 2-3 weeks before you find out if it had any effect at all."  

10 hours ago, Larry said:

What's Jerry Junior's motive, here?  

Does he personally profit enough from reopening the school to make the money enough to justify knowingly spreading disease worth it?  

Is it just loyalty to Team Red?  

He's got to know that his actions are going to kill people.  (In fact, his actions are quite obviously intended to start a wave of evil, that will kill thousands.)  What's he get out of the deal, that makes it worth that?  What's his "pro" that's worth that "con"?  

I say refuse to treat those people.  If anyone goes to school, church, etc... when the medical professionals says it isn't safe to do that yet; then , they must suffer the consequences. If they get sick, they get no treatment. Stay at home and let the virus run it's course.  If death is the end result, then so bet it.  There's going to be a point when doctors will have to decide who lives and who dies.  Well, this will make is easier.  Those stupid enough to think it's over and go back to normal, they are last on the list for medical care.  Also, business that open up and expose customers to the virus could be facing liability.

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Nerm's sarcasm voice:  I am outraged by Hillary regarding this kind of irresponsible tweet.  She is well aware that if she says not to take medical advice from a man who looked at the solar eclipse, there will be dozens of Trump supporters who will go blind in attempts to "prove" that Hillary was trying to mislead people about the very reasonable act of looking directly at a solar eclipse.  More leftist hysteria!  She is getting cold blooded.  

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

Important question is: Is that Trump on the handle puller?

No.  First, he doesn't do manual labor.  Second, by having someone else pull it he can absolve himself of responsibility and say "that guy did it!"

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, China said:

No.  First, he doesn't do manual labor.  Second, by having someone else pull it he can absolve himself of responsibility and say "that guy did it!"

I guess you are right, third, he doesn't have a hat on that says, "Make America Great Again!"

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

There's small business loan, unemployment benefit, healthcare funding, etc too.  I think big part of the ticket price (about 4 trillion worth) is the unlimited quantitative easing.  With interests at zero already, that's the tool at this point.

@PeterMP Am I wrong or is this unlimited quantitative easing essentially MMT being put to practice (or pretty close to it anyway).  Isn't the underlying notion of the new QE based on the assumption that there's practically no limit to amount of debt US government can take on?

Yes and no.  Certainly if the Fed is willing to take on limited debt that only makes sense in the context of MMT.  However, I taking on debt in that manner (by buying securities) isn't necessarily the only way you could take on debt.  Many supporters of MMT, I think, would rather see the government just run the deficit up in terms of direct spending (e.g. increase the government payroll to make up for slack in employment demand or even under high employment to raise wages).  My understanding of MMT is that essentially as long as you print your own money and pay your debts in your money, there is no direct penalty for going more into debt or printing your money.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Had someone at work that decided to go to New York for the weekend. Posted it on FB. HR found out and told this person not to come back to work for 2 weeks 

maybe someone should report to the health department, i’m not sure if they can keep them home forcefully.. but at least a stern talking to... wasn’t new york in bad shape over the weekend or is time slowing?

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

maybe someone should report to the health department, i’m not sure if they can keep them home forcefully.. but at least a stern talking to... wasn’t new york in bad shape over the weekend or is time slowing?

No, New York was fine.  Great time to visit the statue of liberty and rockefeller center.