Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Here's the other crazy thing about the "sacrifice some lives for the economy."

This isn't gonna be a Thanos-snap and 2.5% of the population just dissipates and we pick up the pieces.

It's gonna be millions upon millions sick.  Hospitals overrun.  Basic services disrupted.  For months, and months.  2.5% dying only after months and months of national hardship.

With the speed the virus spreads, it's likely with ZERO containment that it would take about 3 months to hit most everyone who is gonna get it.  Maybe (if it's seasonal or mutates even that won't work bc herd immunity won't develop).  Then another month for people with it get better.  And in that last month it will be tens of millions with it, largely incapacitated from the virus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Best capture of sending people back to work I have seen.

Rich old white guys: "Let's get back to work."

Read: While we stay safe in quarantine, all you hourly workers get to work getting our profits back on track. A lot of you will get sick and/or die, but that's a chance we're willing to take.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Read: While we stay safe in quarantine, all you hourly workers get to work getting our profits back on track. A lot of you will get sick and/or die, but that's a chance we're willing to take.

some of never quit working, and I've already worked the help to death prior to this mess.

Is the sole survivor the winner?

16 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Interestingly my boss is urging me to go on sick-pay for the weeks to come as I cannot go to work due to schools being closed and wife working as a nurse...

Someone as to take care of children.

Next step from him will be to fire me in two weeks (as that's the longest this exceptionnal stuff can last, for now) because I won't be able to go to work either in two weeks.

Those guys clearly have no vision.

Edited by Wildbunny
  • Sad 1

I know I shouldn't be but I'm shocked with how stupid this all is. How are people supposed to return to work if the school system in a state is shutdown. 

How are two income families supposed to support themselves if someone has to stay home or suddenly send their kids to daycare. If that's even possible. I know in Annapolis you'd have to kill someone to get your kids into a daycare this late in the school year, let alone be able to afford the added expense of daycare. 

So stupid...just so stupid. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

You can be perfectly health and have underlying health issues are unnoticeable 

So, let's just assume he had one, so we can keep pushing the insanely destructive talking point that it's OK for people in an epidemic to take no precautions at all, because it will only kill other people.  

Which one should we invent, so we can disregard this one?  Maybe he had high blood pressure?  

Or maybe he was coming down with a cold, when he caught the virus.  See?  Underlying health issue.  

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

I know I shouldn't be but I'm shocked with how stupid this all is. How are people supposed to return to work if the school system in a state is shutdown. 

How are two income families supposed to support themselves if someone has to stay home or suddenly send their kids to daycare. If that's even possible. I know in Annapolis you'd have to kill someone to get your kids into a daycare this late in the school year, let alone be able to afford the added expense of daycare. 

So stupid...just so stupid. 

That's been my biggest complaint over the past couple weeks. Some businesses are shut down, others are open, schools pulled the trigger and closed while other places stayed open. Even early on, schools were closing and I was getting instant e-mails encouraging parents to drop their kids off for all-day camps as though it was a snow day. 

There is no unified vision on how to handle this. It does no good to close schools but expect parents to work. It does no good to shut down some business but keep others open. There needs to be synergy to prevent people from congregating outside of the normal ways. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's been my biggest complaint over the past couple weeks. Some businesses are shut down, others are open, schools pulled the trigger and closed while other places stayed open. Even early on, schools were closing and I was getting instant e-mails encouraging parents to drop their kids off for all-day camps as though it was a snow day. 

There is no unified vision on how to handle this. It does no good to close schools but expect parents to work. It does no good to shut down some business but keep others open. There needs to be synergy to prevent people from congregating outside of the normal ways. 

Thank you! This is my dilemma, but with no kids. I was hoping the govt would shut everything down and we all would just sit in our houses all nice and quiet like for a few weeks. That didn't happen. I was hoping maybe my boss would shut the business down for a couple weeks so we could stay home. That didn't happen. At what point do I have to take matters into my own hands and quarantine myself so I don't get sick? Is that their plan, work until you get sick? Thats a horrible plan.

I wanted a unified message, from a unified source, giving us unified rules on what to do. I'm being told I should stay home and stay away from groups, but no one is stopping me from working at the job site with large groups of people.

• Like 3

In 1918 we lost 400,000 people to the spanish flu. We choosed to keep the economy running instead of confinment.

In 1957 we lost  100.000 to the asian flu. We choosed to keep the economy running instead of confinment.

In 1968 we lost 31.000+ to the Hong-Kong flu. We choosed to keep the economy running instead of confinment.

2020 we choosed confinment

Edit : evolution ! for the benefit of humanity instead of economics

Edited by FrFan

6 minutes ago, FrFan said:

In 1918 we lost 400,000 people to the spanish flu. We choosed to keep the economy running instead of confinment.

In 1957 we lost  100.000 to the asian flu. We choosed to keep the economy running instead of confinment.

In 1968 we lost 31.000+ to the Hong-Kong flu. We choosed to keep the economy running instead of confinment.

Feel free to get infected and take one for the team. Best case: you contribute to herd immunity. Good case: you die and spare us awful hot takes.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Confinement isn't designed to last forever.   It's to buy time so that countries can model what South Korea is doing through heavy testing and social distancing.  And that's all to buy time until a vaccine or treatment is developed. 

No matter how long you confined in those previous pandemics, nothing short of naturally acquired herd immunity would've stopped the bleeding (further, did they even have a concept of flattening the curve back then?).  That's not our situation now.

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Yeah and it’s sort of like other systemic problems - didn’t start this year or last. 

I expect the response to this to be on the level of 9/11. A full report of systemic failures and probably the creating of a new agency to oversee it all

we’ll see. 

Didn't Trump dissolve the task force that was supposed to oversee exactly this sort of event?

42 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Feel free to get infected and take one for the team. Best case: you contribute to herd immunity. Good case: you die and spare us awful hot takes.

I mean exactly the opposite by showing these facts. Stay home stay safe, life is more important than economics. See the Evolution !

As for herd immunity :

"the choice to let immunity build by letting the virus circulate appeared to be too dangerous. The risk for vulnerable people is such that it would be ethically untenable to take this direction, due to the seriousness of the possible consequences."

Edited by FrFan
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1