Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Just to be clear, we only need this surge of ventilator and PPE production because of the abject failure to even attempt to contain this virus when it first came to the US.  This is damage control, after the problem was created by failure of leadership and organization.  

Also, ventilators are highly specialized, delicate machines that need to work precisely, or patients die.  I'm very worried that well-meaning companies may do their very best to produce vents, but actually cause more chaos by producing unreliable or highly variable machines.  I don't really know anything about manufacturing, though, so I may be way off...   Just seems implausible to me that a factory that has been making cars or washing machines or whatever can just rapidly switch over to making something completely different.

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 13

supporting the gop is now just being part of a sick, ignorant, maladjusted, and ugly cult of a demographic, overall

sentiment-wise, if we could replace every trump-supporting/trump-adjacent goper with randomly selected humans from nations across the globe i'm sure we'd come out way ahead <_<

not to make the dems out to be anything remotely like some dream team, far from it

and yet there's no comparison between the two parties in terms of just a deep and pervasive sickness  taking the lead role over traditional conservative vs liberal ideological arguments in governing a large diverse society emphasizing personal liberty, equality, and security

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

why? That’s what the quote from the article said, that this is worse than 9-11 because they had more patients during this outbreak. 

9/11 was nothing compared to this,” he added. “We were open waiting for patients to come who never came, OK? Now they just keep coming.”

why didn’t any patients come during 9/11? 

I think the article is misleading and disgusting....

No. There’s an implied meaning to his statement. Clearly, he was referring to the surge of patients and need for resources. He wasn’t saying it was good that they didn’t get many patients after 9/11 because most of the victims died. But then, you knew that and that’s what’s disgusting.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Remember “Let him die!” Well, there you go. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So let me get this straight: the consensus by experts (via 538) is that 250K people are going to die in the US?

On the low-end, the prediction was 30K.

On the high, well over a million.

250 thousand deaths?

YIKES.

• Sad 1

This is a cool story.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-uniform-maker-switches-to-producing-medical-masks-gowns/ar-BB11LIiQ?li=BBnb7Kz

Fanatics, the company that manufactures uniforms for Major League Baseball, has suspended production on jerseys and is instead using the polyester mesh fabric to make masks and gowns for hospitals in Pennsylvania and nearby states.

New York Yankees and Phillies pinstripes were still in vogue on baseball's scheduled opening day -- only stitched on the protective wear made by the apparel company.

Michael Rubin, the founder and executive chairman of Fanatics, was watching TV last week when he was struck by the idea to turn the 360,000-square foot facility in Easton, Pennsylvania, into a factory for the COVID-19 virus fight.

While Rubin considered how he could make it happen, St. Luke's Hospital in Bethlehem reached out to Fanatics late last week about the possibility of the company manufacturing masks. Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf and Attorney General Josh Shapiro each contacted Rubin over the weekend and told Rubin the state was in ''dire need'' of more masks and gowns.

Fanatics developed a prototype that was approved by the state's emergency agency and by Tuesday the company halted production of all baseball jerseys.

Step up, Nike!  

5 minutes ago, PCS said:

He signs in crayon, I've heard.  

• Like 3

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-latest-italy-registers-nearly-1000-new-deaths-in-single-day/a-52934034

Coronavirus latest: Italy registers nearly 1,000 new deaths in single day

The death toll surged by 969 in the last 24 hours. It is the highest daily tally since the pandemic began. Follow DW for the latest.

No light at the end of the tunnel yet.

And for a weirder story

17:12 A cat has been infected with COVID-19 in Belgium after its owner caught the virus, Belgian officials said on Friday. Doctor Emmanuel Andre, a government agency spokesman on the pandemic, described it as an isolated case. While the virus can sometimes be transmitted from humans to animals, "there is no reason to think that animals can be vectors of epidemic in our society," he said.

Belgian food safety agency AFSCA said that the cat experienced "transitory respiratory and digestive" problems. "So far, there is no evidence that a domestic animal can transmit the virus to humans or other pets," the authority said in a statement.

37 minutes ago, Hooper said:

So let me get this straight: the consensus by experts (via 538) is that 250K people are going to die in the US?

On the low-end, the prediction was 30K.

On the high, well over a million.

250 thousand deaths?

YIKES.

yeah but just combine the flu, cancer, heart disease, automobile, gunshot etc deaths all up each year and we don’t stop the economy for them????? 

what gives??? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, visionary said:

Friend texted me this morning that Trump is claiming that the governors of NY, NJ, and GA are exaggerating how many ventilators they need.  

(My thought is "wait a couple days, and those patients won't need them any more.")

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Larry said:

Friend texted me this morning that Trump is claiming that the governors of NY, NJ, and GA are exaggerating how many ventilators they need.  

(My thought is "wait a couple days, and those patients won't need them any more.")

he must have gotten some really bad news today because just last night on Hannity he was downplaying they need for more ventilators because some major hospitals only have 2. 

That’s like a 15 hour change, even by Trump standards that’s quick to completely 180 from an opinion 

• Sad 1