Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, evmiii said:

The skins have been killed for years because of overpaying big name free agents.  Winning the race to win the offseason hasn’t worked out so far on the field.  I’m all for a new strategy of not paying premium or over inflated prices for free agents.  In the words of Aaron Rodgers- R-E-L-A-X.  I’m sure they have a plan of who they want to target and at what cost; let’s let it play out before we kill them.

That's the Cerrato era not the Bruce Allen era.  If you go through both of their records in FA, they both stunk but for entirely different reasons. 

Cerrato would pay A money for B level players -- often aging players and ruined the cap by overspending

Bruce would buy a whole bunch of C players who often end up being just guys and discarded soon after.

Some exceptions for both.  You can do a happy medium of the two approaches.  And they've done better of late when they've shopped in the higher end of the market not the lower.

Ironically our best FA year was under Cerrato-Gibbs -- 2004.

9 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Interesting that OL "depth" was on the list, but starting LT wasn't.

Good point, mean Trent returning?

11 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Hey how come we're not spending money like folks are on toilet paper right now..we need some free agents bwwaaaaaaa...

If it makes you feel any better, look at who was making the moves today.  The browns. Who are perennially awful.  First day of free agency are filled with more bad deals than good ones when all is said and done.

12 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Interesting that OL "depth" was on the list, but starting LT wasn't.

I thought the same.  Glaring hole at LT, relative unknown at LG, high priced one year deal at RG, average at best players at C and RT.  I'd say more than "depth" is needed.

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The second Hunter Henry became franchised, I lost interest in FA acquisitions. Cooper would be nice, but a luxury. 

I don’t need to see major signings. I need to see Trent traded for fair value. 

I want B. Jones but if the price is close to $20M, I would actually hold off on big names as well and stock up on depth on shorter term deals

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The second Hunter Henry became franchised, I lost interest in FA acquisitions. Cooper would be nice, but a luxury. 

I don’t need to see major signings. I need to see Trent traded for fair value. 

A good deal for Trent is the main thing right now for me as well.  If we can get a 2nd for him then we are in good shape.  Until then I guess I am holding out hope that we can get maybe Kendall Fuller or another mid level free agent with upside.

I for one am happy we are not rushing to sign guys immediately as FA started. There will be value with guys getting cut soon and we can find some decent vets who are viewed as expendable. Look at AP. He was sitting on his coach before we brought him in. 

With that said I would like to see the team gauge interest on Davonte Freeman. We need some insurance for Guice and Thompson not being here. He’s a great receiver out of the backfield and would be a nice complement to AP. 

13 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I for one am happy we are not rushing to sign guys immediately as FA started. There will be value with guys getting cut soon and we can find some decent vets who are viewed as expendable. Look at AP. He was sitting on his coach before we brought him in. 

Hmmm. Which coach? If it was Rob Ryan AP would roll right off

I don't think George Fant has been discussed. He would be an interesting option at LT we could lock up on the cheap. He's played a hybrid tackle / tight end role for the Seahawks the past few seasons after having been a basketball player at WKU. He's filled in admirably when Duane Brown and others have gone down with injuries. He's definitely worth bringing in for a visit

16 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Absolutely. A change in scenery, scheme and coaching has done many players good. Just look at the ones who left here and moved to other teams.  I think we have good evaluators of talent, and patience may be called for.  Still would like to see us get Tre Boston and possibly Fuller if he is available. 

1 minute ago, method man said:

I don't think George Fant has been discussed. He would be an interesting option at LT we could lock up on the cheap. He's played a hybrid tackle / tight end role for the Seahawks the past few seasons after having been a basketball player at WKU. He's filled in admirably when Duane Brown and others have gone down with injuries. He's definitely worth bringing in for a visit

I don't know much about Fant.  Sounds like a value signing a la ty nsekhe.  That worked out pretty well.

51 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yeah..the room is definitely spinning...build smart not stupid...no more cerrato years!! no more cerrato years!!....

Hey how come we're not spending money like folks are on toilet paper right now..we need some free agents bwwaaaaaaa...

It's a league of contracts, and competition is based on your ability to maximize the value of them. FA pays off better for certain positions than others. Wish I could find an old article that I read that tracked that.  I don't mind us being quiet, typically the best teams historically are fairly quiet at it, plus it gives the added benefit of us receiving full return of compensatory picks in '21 (note, quite a few of the teams you see piling up compensatory picks year after year are also the teams you see making the playoffs). 

2 minutes ago, Lovi said:

Dang. Don’t like Bradbury to the giants. 

Just now, panahoo said:

Not a terrible contract either. 3 for 45. 32 guaranteed

I think if anyone knows Bradbury it's Ron R. If he is not interested he must have a good reason.  

1 minute ago, panahoo said:

Certainly. Not upset about it. Just interested in the numbers

Looks like $15M/yr - about what Norman was paid and everyone hated that contract. I know it was 4 yrs ago - but it was just 4 yrs ago and Bradbury was never as good as Norman - not ever. Glad to see the giants waste money. 

Archived