Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I mean... no not really.

The obvious destination was the Bears they’re off the board once Cam is cut you don’t think there is now even more talk of him coming here?

I think it’s silly to not think that as a minimum there won’t be more talk of it

8 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Not sure why people are killing the Bears for this.

The Jags paid 33M of the 88M total contract for that one year.

The Bears paid a 4th to get Foles on a contract that pays him 15.5M this year and 20M next year. In 2022, they have what amounts to a 20M option to keep him or release him with no cap hit.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

The obvious destination was the Bears they’re off the board once Cam is cut you don’t think there is now even more talk of him coming here?

I think it’s silly to not think that as a minimum there won’t be more talk of it

There won’t be. 

3 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

Not sure why people are killing the Bears for this.

The Jags paid 33M of the 88M total contract for that one year.

The Bears paid a 4th to get Foles on a contract that pays him 15.5M this year and 20M next year. In 2022, they have what amounts to a 20M option to keep him or release him with no cap hit.

Why would you give up a 4th round pick?   Jags were most likely going to release him. If anything, the Bears should be getting a pick back for helping them get out of such a horrendous contract. 

5 minutes ago, Darc Requiem said:

Eric Reid got released. He's 28, can he still play? We need saftey help.

More of a SS, fell off in coverage last year. He could be an option, but I'd rather pay more of a FS type first if it's starter money, which it is

9 minutes ago, skeenzfan said:

Why would you give up a 4th round pick?   Jags were most likely going to release him. If anything, the Bears should be getting a pick back for helping them get out of such a horrendous contract. 

If bears on hook for 15 and 20, and tanny got 29 per, might be better to deal in lower cost instead of paying more as a fa.

6 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

If bears on hook for 15 and 20, and tanny got 29 per, might be better to deal in lower cost instead of paying more as a fa.

Outside of some success in Philly, Foles has been a flop with Rams and Jags. He is the new Sam Bradford where teams keep throwing money despite his lack of success. 

If released, he was more than likely headed towards Case Keenum type of backup money. No reason to pay him 15/20 for the next two years. 

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

But playing along with the tweet for a second, it would be plausible.  The pro-Haskins crowd can pretend like he looked like a stud enough that players around the league are bought in on him, but that would probably be wishful thinking.

It's not plausible, it's fact.  He had 6 good quarters then got hurt.  For the second time in like 4 games, even though he stayed in the first game he was hurt in. (I don't remember which)  I like Haskins enough, but I think it's WAY to early to determine whether or not he's going to be a franchise guy or not.  

Look, the entire previous coaching staff made it EXTREMELY clear they didn't want Haskins and he wasn't ready, and then under Jay, the approach was to ignore him and hope to win with Colt, then Case when Colt couldn't play.  I give Callahan credit, at least he immediately stated they were going to put a plan in place to get Haskins prepared.  (As an aside, how in the name of Sam Hill there wasn't a plan in place from the minute he was drafted is a huge question, and a huge indictment of the former coach.  But whatever.  We've been down that road.)  Hell, Rob Ryan JUST came out and said he wasn't close to being ready.  We've had recent leaks about Haskins possibly being dyslexic, and not being able to call a play for 3 months.  The previous coaching staff did everything they could to make everybody understand they had no interest in him being there, and wanted no responsibility for his development.  

But then Jay threw him in when he really had no idea what he was doing for Keenum, who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and he failed.  Then he went in again when Keenum was hurt, and failed.

Basically he failed across the board, we heard questions about his work ethic and preparation all the way through Ron's opening presser.  Minus 6 good quarters, there wasn't a very positive story coming out about Haskins. 

So, if I'm Amari Cooper,which situation is more appealing?  The one where Dak just was franchised because he's probably a top 5-10 QB in the league, or a complete question mark with Haskins?

The way Haskins was handled last year was a crime against humanity. The ridiculous leaks still coming out from a coaching staff that was probably one of the worst in the league are ridiculous.  Yeah, Haskins should have done a lot of things better surrounding work ethic and preparation, but honestly, if you're a 22 year old, and basically the day you are drafted you start reading stories about how the coach and football people didn't want you, and the coach basically ignores you, you're probably just going to go through the motions.  

Anyway, we are where we are.  Haskins has an opportunity to prove everybody wrong.  They are going to sign another TE somewhere, and they will add WR help.  He doesn't have to throw for 5,000 yards and 45 TDs next year.  But he is going to have the opportunity to play well, with an ok surrounding cast, and be productive.  If he does that, then things start to open up, and other FAs will have more interest in signing here. 

Nobody wants to jump on a ship which is taking on water.

5 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

I would have no problem signing Reid to a two-year, cap-friendly deal. He can play both free and strong safety. 11 picks and 6 sacks since 2013. Respectable numbers.

In 6-7 years those are respectable numbers? He's fine, especially if we didn't have Collins. But I'd rather have a slightly rangier guy in coverage at FS

1 hour ago, PlayAction said:

This is what happens when you have a team leader [Williams] skip out an entire year trying to get a new contract.  Dunbar assumes that he will get the big bucks later and he's probably right.  But he's looking at next year as a loss of $10million.  I realize contract disputes are the nature of the business but I'm not sure this behavior is the kind that Rivera expects from his core players.  If he's not going to buy in then they need to ship him out for the best value.  It will be a shame after the Skins invested so much time and effort.  Dunbar had to work for it but he would have been one of the many that never got the opportunity without the Skins taking the chance on him.

Yeah, but the flip side is he signed a contract extension, and he's been hurt about half the games the last 2 seasons, and is going into the last year of his deal.  Sure, he wants a new deal.  But if you're the Redskins, why would you pony up big money for a guy who hasn't shown he can stay healthy?  It makes a lot more sense for the new regime to take a wait and see approach.

Also, the difference between Dunny and Trent is Trent is a legitimate top 5 player at his position, and has been that way basically since he entered the league.  Dunny is a good CB, but he's not that.  So he doesn't have the type of leverage Trent does.  Also, he doesn't have the financial means to sit out an entire year, which Trent did.

The best situation for Dunny is to play the year out, and they either extend him during the season or he hits FA after the season.  

20 minutes ago, skeenzfan said:

10 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

This.

The Bears got a Tanny/Bridgewater caliber QB for less salary and FAR less guaranteed money. For a team trying to compete, giving up a 4th is worth the flexibility. 

Do you think the Vikings would pay a 4th to have Cousins at 10-20% less salary per year and his last year non-guaranteed? I do.

And the Jags werent going to release him. They would have found some team to take him as a 1-2 year bridge.

BTW, Im not saying this is a good trade. I just dont see reason for people to get all up in arms about it. 

Archived