Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

3 hours ago, evmiii said:

To all those who believed that the owner was still meddling and would insist we keep his boy as OC, hope this is evidence that we have turned a corner and football people are now making football decisions (even if you don't agree with them).  HTTR.

Yes, but Snyder has wiped the slate clean with good intentions in the past, but only to meddle again after a few years of lackluster results.  His not meddling now doesn't surprise me.  His ability to restrain from meddling in a few years if we don't have the level of success we all hope for, and he doesn't resort to mandating a certain draft pick / trade etc, then we can say Snyder has shown improvement.  As of now, status quo, Snyder playing the role of a changed man with a new era underway in DC.  We shall see.

But I am optimistic for the Redskins future, too bad we have to wait 8 months to see Redskin football again.

Breaking news: we just hired all the Panthers beer vendors.

This guy has Pete Hoener as TE coach whoever that is and of course, coached at Carolina!  He was missing from your page #1 list.  🙂

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/07/kevin-oconnell-will-not-return-redskins-offensive-coordinator-scott-turner-likely/

Former Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Ken Zampese is interviewing with Rivera for the position of quarterbacks coach, a person with knowledge of the situation said. Sports Illustrated reported that Zampese will be hired and former Panthers tight end coach Pete Hoener is going to fill the same role on Rivera’s staff.

58 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This guy has Pete Hoener as TE coach whoever that is and of course, coached at Carolina!  He was missing from your page #1 list.  🙂

HigSkin, the RB position is still open and I think eventually he will be able to get Peetz, current RB coach from Carolina away from them as Rhule, their new HC will want his own staff and we'll see the same thing happen with Peetz as we did with our own KOC.  Otherwise, I think it will be Jordan or maybe someone else.  Again, thanks for the fantastic posts of info.  Truly and greatly appreciated.   Both you and SIP.  :)

3 hours ago, mojo said:

I never got all the love for Tomsula.  For all the talent we have, we continuously underperformed IMHO.  I’m anxious to what a new voice can do for this group.

Tomsula was with us for three years. In those three years, Allen, Payne, ioannidis, and Tim Settle all showed great talent. Allen and Payne were both expected to show it, but Ioannidis and Settle were late round picks. I think it's fair to give Tomsula credit for them considering ALL of them have had success.

The rest of our defense under-performed, but I don't recall the defensive line ever being the reason for it.

I wonder if the Redskins are waiting for the Seattle Seahawks to be done in the playoffs before they choose their DL coach? In the words of Danny.....google it. lol

Also, I realize its been 4 years, but here's a little tid-bit on the Raiders defense under HC Del Rio in the year they went 12-4. Admittedly, the defense sucked with DC Ken Norton Jr. who was fired early the following year and replaced with Pagano. Can't say Norton didn't know what he was doing. Sometimes things don't work out.

But for Del Rio, who I believe will be running a base 4-3 with a 2-gap, here's what some players had to say:

https://www.raiders.com/video/broncos-defense-on-jack-del-rio-14828230

4 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

I wonder if the Redskins are waiting for the Seattle Seahawks to be done in the playoffs before they choose their DL coach? In the words of Danny.....google it. lol

Also, I realize its been 4 years, but here's a little tid-bit on the Raiders defense under HC Del Rio in the year they went 12-4. Admittedly, the defense sucked with DC Ken Norton Jr. who was fired early the following year and replaced with Pagano. Can't say Norton didn't know what he was doing. Sometimes things don't work out.

But for Del Rio, who I believe will be running a base 4-3 with a 2-gap, here's what some players had to say:

https://www.raiders.com/video/broncos-defense-on-jack-del-rio-14828230

Sam Mills III was hired as their DL coach.  He coached with the Panthers with RR.

9 hours ago, RWJ said:

Sam Mills III was hired as their DL coach.  He coached with the Panthers with RR.

I stand corrected. I thought they were waiting for Franklin who currently coaches with the Seahawks. So this is looking more like a migration. Kind of like when Tampa migrated up the 95 a few years back. 

4 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

I stand corrected. I thought they were waiting for Franklin who currently coaches with the Seahawks. So this is looking more like a migration. Kind of like when Tampa migrated up the 95 a few years back. 

This migration is putting a damper on my excitement. 

3 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Yes, the Carolina Connection.   However, a much better HC, IMO and assistant coaches to go along with that.  I'm hoping Jake Peetz, the Panthers RB coach is able to join the staff too.  He's a good coach too.

20 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Carolina blocked us from taking their RB Coach Jake Peetz...

I know Semper Fi.  I am hoping that somehow Rhule will want to bring in his own RB coach and that free up Peetz to come her.  Also, I'm hoping if that doesn't happen that Carolina will reconsider and if Peetz wants to coach with his former coach the owner/GM will allow him to come to DC to reunited with Rivera.  

28 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

So rivera went out side the box for a qb coach?...zampese?..hmmmm

Makes sense because Turner had been his QB coach before getting fired.

Zampese is extremely well-respected though

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Makes sense because Turner had been his QB coach before getting fired.

Zampese is extremely well-respected though

No disagreeing with you. But the well-respected term now scares me. We've had well-respected folks in the front office, on the coach staff and even on the football field. No need to delve into the results.

So as of this moment Zampese has not been “officially” confirmed as our QB coach via either Redskins press report or specific announcement, even though SI suggests it’s a done deal?

This is of interest to me because I consider him the second best “get” on R squared’s new staff and I don’t want anyone else snagging him at the last moment.

23 hours ago, mojo said:

I never got all the love for Tomsula.  For all the talent we have, we continuously underperformed IMHO.  I’m anxious to what a new voice can do for this group.

I think he did a good job of coaching up Ioan, Payne, Allen and Settle.  

That, and the dude was just likable.  Genuinely thrilled to be on the sidelines and coaching.  Out before games shaking hands with fans, big old dipper in his lip.  Couldn't hack it as a head coach in SF but that's ok...I think he's plenty good at what he does, I'm bummed to see him go.

1 hour ago, joeken24 said:

No disagreeing with you. But the well-respected term now scares me. We've had well-respected folks in the front office, on the coach staff and even on the football field. No need to delve into the results.

Tomsula was well respected and our D-Line has looked good for it. Callahan was well-respected and made dinner and desert out of table scraps and Ereck Flowers. The team has done a lot of things wrong, but new assistant coaches were rarely a glaring problem.

I wonder if Tomsula would have even been a great option to teach 1-gapping technique to our DL if we kept him.  I'm pretty sure he's only taught 2-gapping in his professional career - at least I think that's the case with the 49ers (Justin Smith was great at this) and with us.

Archived