Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

On 1/2/2020 at 7:13 AM, Rex Tomb said:

I think you'd be letting someone very valuable to the organization go just to prove a point and hurting the organization in more than one way.    

Its the Bruce Allen way :) i think we trying move on from that tho!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Edit

I wasted my time compiling a list of available coaches that interested me, personally, with coaches that I've been impressed with over the years, for different reasons. Not relying on the past staff connection quotient. For me that's fun. 

Edit

Not wasted time at all. I for one - and I believe many others - appreciate you putting together the list and then adding to it. It is well thought out and had a logical progression. I was not up to date on many of the potential candidates. I feel I have a much better understanding of who is out there and what their high level qualifications and/or connections are. 

Again, please do not think it was wasted time. We need more posts like those in here. It was actually about football not conspiracy theories about why Ron is going to hire (or in this case not hire) or if Haskins is trying to run the team through twitter. Now that is truly wasted time.  

So thank you for a very relevant and helpful set of posts that have at least helped me understand who the realistically potential OC candidates are and what qualifications they have!! Great stuff!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those advocating for KOC because he seems to fit well with Haskins, I think it is more important that he fits with Rivera. Especially considering the direction they are trying to go right now. And he may, I just think Rivera wants to be certain of that. 

• Like 2

I'm going to assume that Ron has already had these subcoaching conversations with plenty of people informally already. It's pretty obvious that he did with JDR.

He is either waiting on someone in the playoffs or KoC is an honest option that he's considering.

43 minutes ago, dballer said:

For those advocating for KOC because he seems to fit well with Haskins, I think it is more important that he fits with Rivera. Especially considering the direction they are trying to go right now. And he may, I just think Rivera wants to be certain of that. 

But... Can the new guy's name start with a C?

I won't say why... because certain people aren't enjoying my joy of a certain use of a certain nickname...

But, you know, I think a last name starting with a C isn't asking too much. Plus, it only narrows the search field down just a tad.

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm going to assume that Ron has already had these subcoaching conversations with plenty of people informally already. It's pretty obvious that he did with JDR.

He is either waiting on someone in the playoffs or KoC is an honest option that he's considering.

Absolutely. From that presser yesterday, I'd gather he's essentially been the HC for the last 6-8 weeks anyways, just in his living room/office rather than employed :ols:

• Haha 4

I don't really get the unconditional love for O'Connell. Mind you, I was deeply upset about McVay leaving, but that offense lead the league (by far) in the fewest 3 and outs.

Yes, Haskins improved under KOC, but one would hope he has enough natural talent that he would improve under anyone. It wasn't like he went from dud to stud overnight like 2017 Goff.

If Haskins can't continue to improve under a new OC and system, then we drafted the wrong guy. I am fine if KOC stays, but I won't be bothered much if he is shown the door.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I don't really get the unconditional love for O'Connell. Mind you, I was deeply upset about McVay leaving, but that offense lead the league (by far) in the fewest 3 and outs.

Yes, Haskins improved under KOC, but one would hope he has enough natural talent that he would improve under anyone. It wasn't like he went from dud to stud overnight like 2017 Goff.

If Haskins can't continue to improve under a new OC and system, then we drafted the wrong guy. I am fine if KOC stays, but I won't be bothered much if he is shown the door.

Its more about continuity and continuing the growth that Haskins has shown as opposed to having him learn a new offensive system when he was grasping and improving in the other one.You want continuity if possible especially for a guy like Haskins who had one year in college learning. I think thats less of a concern if this was year two going into year three, plus I liked how he was running the offense the last few weeks of the season with Haskins.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Who cares what the percentages are? That’s his ONLY year of experience! That’s his record. That’s what he has produced. The 32nd ranked NFL offense. Helped get his 2 bosses fired. On a positive he helped put us in position to draft Chase Young so he might not be entirely worthless.

Ron is not going to hire someone as his OC with the joke of a resume with respect to experience that KOC has. It’s not gonna happen unless it’s not his decision. 

Hiring the right candidate isn't solely about track record.

If it was there would be no need for an interview at all, you could just line up their resume's and take the one with the most accomplishments. 

Sean mcvay had very little track record and when he interviewed with the rams he was considered the longest of long shots and then he was hired.

The explanation was that he blew them away in the interview. 

A year later he's in the superbowl. 

Maybe o'Connell's accomplishments aren't something we can see and only insiders who know him can see, maybe he's brilliant and a great motivator and shows potential to be a superstar in the coaching ranks.

If true those are things you keep and Nourish and maybe that's why he's being considered by rivera.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Hiring the right candidate isn't solely about track record.

If it was there would be no need for an interview at all, you could just line up their resume's and take the one with the most accomplishments. 

Sean mcvay had very little track record and when he interviewed with the rams he was considered the longest of long shots and then he was hired.

The explanation was that he blew them away in the interview. 

A year later he's in the superbowl. 

Maybe o'Connell's accomplishments aren't something we can see and only insiders who know him can see, maybe he's brilliant and a great motivator and shows potential to be a superstar in the coaching ranks.

If true those are things you keep and Nourish and maybe that's why he's being considered by rivera.

Rivera doesn’t care if KOC was winning off the field and made Haskins feel warm and fuzzy. Those days are over. The days of producing the 32nd ranked passing offense and keeping your job are also over. It’s a performance based business and if you don’t perform you look for a new job. That’s the new culture. Get used to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The days of producing the 32nd ranked passing offense and keeping your job are also over

So you think one year on a team with a lame duck coach who was fired 5 games into the season is going to seal oconells fate?

That's it he's done, he's proven to be a failure and he'll have to start over in quality control?

That's ridiculous, we've personally seen with our own eyes that failure in this organization doesn't equate to a lack of future success.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dballer said:

Agree. We dont even know how Reviera feels about Haskins yet. He is certainly non committal, which is exactly what we want at this stage. The structure of the organization we are going for relies on the HC getting the guys HE wants on the field. You have to give him the freedom to do that at every position if its going to work. This is just confirmation of that. 

That said I like Haskins and he clearly the most talented we have right now. But I do recall what Seattle was planning on doing before Wilson got the gig and how that all went down.

Just now, redskinss said:

So you think one year on a team with a lame duck coach who was fired 5 games into the season is going to seal oconells fate?

That's it he's done, he's proven to be a failure and he'll have to start over in quality control?

That's ridiculous, we've personally seen with our own eyes that failure in this organization doesn't equate to a lack of future success.

KOC has no other experience on his resume. He produced the 32nd ranked passing offense in his only year as OC. Posters here are so worried about upsetting Haskins they are contorting themselves into making excuses to keep KOC so Dwayne doesn’t pout.  

Admit that you don’t think Haskins has the fortitude to handle tough coaching so you want to keep his buddy on staff. That's what this is about. Let’s not pretend that it’s more than that. You could care less about KOC if not for Haskins.

• Haha 1

I do wonder what KOC could have done with more to work with. Rookie QB. All rookies WRs. I dont even know what at TE. AP was his best player for real. Thats tough for anyone. 

I also would be interested to see what he he said in private to Ron about Haskins. It would be super interesting is it wasnt positive and they decided together that another direction could be considered. 

There you go. Your conspiracy until the draft. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

KOC has no other experience on his resume. He produced the 32nd ranked passing offense in his only year as OC. Posters here are so worried about upsetting Haskins they are contorting themselves into making excuses to keep KOC so Dwayne doesn’t pout.  

Admit that you don’t think Haskins has the fortitude to handle tough coaching so you want to keep his buddy on staff. That's what this is about. Let’s not pretend that it’s more than that. You could care less about KOC if not for Haskins.

This is so far from the truth it actually made me chuckle a little bit.

I dont give a frog's fat ass about haskins or oconell. 

I'm simply debating the two very firm soap box points you keep coming back with.

One being that Rivera would not possibly consider oconell unless snyder intervened and two, that o'Connell's short resume means he should be considered damaged goods.

I'd love to see haskins succeed but truthfully I wouldn't care if rivera decided to trade him tomorrow if that's what he thought was best for the team, I have absolutely no emotional attachment whatsoever of any kind towards him or oconell. 

• Like 2