Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome the Redskins Jack Del Rio---And defensive philosophy

clskinsfan

5 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

In 5 years Gruden came nowhere near even a decent DC. Rivera hasn't been on the job 24 hours. 

I think he's going to be quite expensive. Not someone you hear a lot about and maybe doesn't make too many flash plays, but is just tough get open against on a consistent basis

Weve got an assload of cap space.

11 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

In 5 years Gruden came nowhere near even a decent DC. Rivera hasn't been on the job 24 hours. 

I think he's going to be quite expensive. Not someone you hear a lot about and maybe doesn't make too many flash plays, but is just tough get open against on a consistent basis

Yeah any #1 corner types would be expensive in FA.  My preference is Bryon Jones.  With all the cap space they are going to have, I'd try to get a CB, FS, and TE.  FS and TE typically doesn't require big money.  CB does. 

11 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I made a bad joke, but yes. 

It will be interesting to see what we do in FA. Really sucks that we have to wait, but I’m excited.

Ahh. Missed that completely. I am super excited about the potential of this roster with the new coaches in place.

I really hope the "Strict 2 gap 4-3" thing isn't necessarily true. Not just because it's basically conservative bland defense, which I'm so damn sick of...but because we literally have the opposite of the personnel to run it for the most part. They CAN do it (as evidenced by Manusky) but it's not what they're best at. Allen, Ioan, and Payne are all best as shade/1 gap penetrating guys. I'd hate to continue to see them be misused. I was also hoping to finally see a well designed attacking defense that utilized the full potential of all of our young talent. If the 2 gap thing is true then we won't be seeing that. Sadface.

Hm so a switch to the 4-3 would be rather interesting from a rotation perspective. I'm going to assume Kerrigan is a cap casualty and the Skins draft Young. Sweat and Young are your ends. Then you have Allen-Payne-Ioannidis-Settle for 2 spots, maybe Allen rotates as an end as well 

Great write up about the scheme, well done OP. 

I think we just need to sit and wait. Rivera himself has been pretty hybrid in schemes. Just plays what works best for his squad. So I don't just expect to run what Del Rio ran the most. 

If we go 4-3 the Dline rotation is something interesting. I would then try to run it more like the 4-3 hybrid version the Seahawks use(d). With the LEO and a big strong DE. It's a waste of talent if Payne Ion and Allen don't are on the field together. 

There’s a lot of potential with this front if they are used correctly.  I’m very intrigued by how they will use everyone, and not just our big 3 dlinemen and Young (if we draft him)), but Anderson, Settle and Sweat as well.  I’m not writing Kerrigan off either yet.  Lot of talent on this front.  

Not sure what linebackers will play where - it’s not a great group, but it’s a pretty diverse group - but they also have Collins to play around with.  

Hoping to see a lot of growth from Moreland and Moreau, because the secondary has the potential to be a mess.  Spending on a FA corner could help of course.  

Both Rivera and Del Rio have used both 3-4 and 4-3 fronts. And both have used both 1 gap and 2 gap. 

As far as I know Del Rio has used mainly 1 gap. Mark Bullock did a write up on Del Rios defenses and confirmed he has been mainly a 1 gap guy.

i think one of the major characteristics of both Rivera and Del Rio is they are scheme agnostic - they fit a scheme to what they have in personnel instead of trying to cram players into ‘their system’.

Given the strength of our defense is the dline as opposed to the linebackers I will be stunned if we don’t use more of a 1 gap scheme than 2 gap. But I’d expect to see both.

Del Rio has also used hybrid S/LB roles. Expect to see a lot more of Landon Collins in that role and a lot less of him playing post safety ...

Both Rivera and Del Rio don’t blitz much and keep the back end simple. Rivera is more of a zone guy and Del Rio man so that will need to be sorted. But both ask their front 4 to get pressure with some linebacker pressure as well and the back 4/5 cover.

Not to be the grumpy old man, but can we have the FA /draft conversations in another thread?  I'm guessing I'm not the only one checking this thread constantly to find out IF Del Rio is even going to become our DC. At this point, it's still rumors only and nothing has been confirmed as of yet. 

Ha never mind. Confirmed. 😂😂. Now carry on and I can celebrate. 

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think either Rivera or Del Rio are wed to a specific scheme. Pretty sure when in Oakland the Raiders ran a 3-4 under Del Rio.

They'll design a scheme that best suits the players they have on board come training camp.

This isn't Manusky, who did doofus things, like constantly having a pass rusher like Sweat out in coverage. 🤨

Archived